Game related Blogging and Networking

NotCrucial

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By NotCrucial

Hey, I was just wondering if any on you have independent game related blogs. How do you go about getting a firm foothold on the interweb? I'm new to this and I'm trying to figure it all out!

Thanks in advance!

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong

I have none but all I can tell ya as a writer to just...write! Its all practice (or reference)!

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#3  Edited By Video_Game_King

In addition to what @TaliciaDragonsong: , let people comment on your shit. That's how you'll find out the very specific ways in which you suck.

NotCrucial

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By NotCrucial

@Video_Game_King: @TaliciaDragonsong: Thank you both for the advice! Especially the part about finding out which ways I suck. Always looking for ways to improve! :D

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By napalm

Find a style and then an audience.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#6  Edited By Kidavenger

I think having a podcast is critical to having a successful game site now. I never would have found Giant Bomb if they didn't have a podcast and I probably wouldn't have stuck around if the podcast wasn't good.

Specific blog related advice:

Make sure you have regular content updates, if you aren't updating it at least weekly, people will forget about it no matter how good the content is.

Make sure that content is easily accessible, have RSS feeds, post updates to twitter, facebook, google+, etc.

Interact with your audience, respond to positive discussion on your posts.

Learn basic Search Engine Optimization, you can learn 90% of anything you would ever want to know on the subject in a day of research and it will help your audience find your content through search engines; hardly any blogs pay any attention at all to this and it's really important for any website to; at the very least; not make mistakes in their SEO.

johnwaynegacy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By johnwaynegacy

BTW, I'd like to ask one thing. I'm not fluent in English, I try my best but I'm not as good as I would like to be. I'm running three blogs in my native language (about sports, music and games) and I used to run one blog in English, but it was a total failure (no visits or comments at all). I just wanted to ask - is proper language more importat than content? For example, if you find something interesting on the web, but it's obvious that it was written by someone who knows only the basics of web's most popular language are you like 'Dude! That's quite interesting, and here's my view' or rather like "Learn the language you lame asshole"?

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#8  Edited By Kidavenger

@johnwaynegacy:

Content is probably more important than minor grammatical errors, but spelling mistakes i.e. "importat" would sink a blog, it just shows a huge lack of care not even using spell check.

johnwaynegacy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By johnwaynegacy

@Kidavenger: Sorry for that, my bad. Spell check might be a bit tricky if it underlines every single word you write.