Game Sales Slide for Sixth Straight Month

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

#1  Edited By ZombiePie  Staff

According to the sales numbers for last year compiled by research firm the NPD Group, last month saw the sixth straight month in a row of year-to-year decline for sales, down 16% from last year with $909 million. The drop in sales has been attributed to the global recession and the fact that most gamers are saving thier money for the big releases for Winter and Q1 2010

Hardware numbers dropped 25%, but where saved from a complete loss due to price cuts from both Sony and Microsoft. Despite the decline from 2008, hardware showed a 72% boost from July numbers.

PlayStation 2 105.9K
    PlayStation 3 210.0K
    PSP 140.3K
    Xbox 360 215.4K
    Wii 277.4K
    Nintendo DS 552.9K

On the software side, Madden NFL 10 led the charge, which should be no big surprise to anyone. Batman: Arkham Asylum made a strong showing with close-to-even sales across both the PS3 and 360. But out of nowhere comes the DS titled Fossil Finder rounding out the tenth spot...well I guess every industry has their underdogs.

MADDEN NFL 10 (360) 928,000
    WII SPORTS RESORT W/ WII MOTION PLUS (WII) 754,000
    MADDEN NFL 10 (PS3) 665,000
    BATMAN: ARKHAM ASYLUM* (360) 303,000
    BATMAN: ARKHAM ASYLUM* PS3) 290,000
    MADDEN NFL 10 (PS2) 160,000
    DISSIDIA: FINAL FANTASY (PSP) 130,000
    WII FIT* (WII) 128,000
    MARIO KART W/WHEEL (WII) 120,000
    FOSSIL FIGHTERS (NDS) 92,000

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By natetodamax

Doesn't surprise me, the past few months have been dead for gaming.

Serenity_UK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Serenity_UK

Lack of titles are probably a big reason for this, the amount of games being held over till next year could make it a record breaking one. 

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By jakob187
@natetodamax said:

" Doesn't surprise me, the past few months have been dead for gaming. "

Well, it's not just that.  Look at how many original IPs have launched this year, and how many more will be launching.  People don't want to spend their money on something they don't know, especially when they've been pounded like Hell will sequel after sequel for so long.  Moreover, I imagine a lot of folks are holding out for the holiday season so they can stockpile on the killer amount of games there. 

Don't worry.  Halo 3 ODST and Modern Warfare 2 will more than make up for the slumps. 

We've also got the Slim PS3 that is sure to sell like crazy for the holidays, so that's another good boost that we'll get.
breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#5  Edited By breadfan
Without any games, there is nothing to sell.  I am sure the economy isn't helping things too much, but it is largely because no big titles being released for a while. 
damnboyadvance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By damnboyadvance

No surprise there. This year compared to last year has been lacking. It's pretty much been a drought for the gaming industry, but hopefully the holiday season will bring in more money.

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#7  Edited By mracoon

September will be much better then previous moths with the PS3 Slim, price drops and Beatles: Rock Band. I think that it might even better then September last year.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By penguindust
@ZombiePie said:
The drop in sales has been attributed to the global recession and the fact that most gamers are saving their money for the big releases for Winter and Q1 2010
This makes perfect sense to me.  I know that I've only picked up some PS2 titles (most of which were used) in the past few months in anticipation of the coming holiday releases.  October is going to be a killer of a month in my opinion and I'm sure that will increase sales numbers.  The question is, however, will October 2009 outsell October 2008?  That remains to be seen, but I'm sure if September 2009 is better than or at least as profitable as 2008, then the signs are good for gaming through the rest of the season.  With big name titles like Halo ODST and Beatles Rock Band on store shelves, that should be an incentive for gamers to open their wallets again.  For me, of course, it's going to be games like Uncharted and Borderlands.   The recession will affect the overall holiday season though, so I don't expect record sales numbers like there have been in the past.
Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Diamond

Wii hardware has taken the biggest dive.  I wonder if you put Wii units back up to where they were before, if we'd be positive this year.  360 and PS3 are selling more, but I wonder if software is down or up overall.

The price cuts didn't take effect on PS3 until the last 2-3 days of this NPD.  I don't know if 360 cuts effected this NPD at all.  Either way, next month will have 360 and PS3 up even more.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

I'm guessing that's fairly normal. The middle months of the year are always fairly dry, so I'd guess it usually drops around then. It'll start to pick up again soon.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By Red

What does surprise me, however, is how low the Nintendo Wii sales are. I think this month we might actually see the PS3/360 overtake the Wii, especially with ODST coming out and the price drops.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#12  Edited By RHCPfan24

I thought Batman: Arkham Asylum sold two million copies? Is this just a few days before the end of the month? If so, maybe it didn't reach that number until a week or two in. Nonetheless, I think there are still a lot of good games out at the moment and this season is usually somewhat dry for releases. Too bad people couldn't get free copies of Wolfenstein. XD

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Diamond
@RHCPfan24 said:
" I thought Batman: Arkham Asylum sold two million copies? Is this just a few days before the end of the month? If so, maybe it didn't reach that number until a week or two in.
Probably is shipped, or even shipped worldwide numbers anyways.  As a general rule companies don't directly keep track of their sales, as that would be impossible.

But yea, probably only got about 5-7 days of Batman sales counted anyways.