#1 Posted by ArbitraryWater (12665 posts) -

As we all know, the video game industry is built around sequels. While a good chunk of sequels manage to improve or at least keep the same quality as their predecessors, there are some that really should not exist. Ever. Basically they are the "The Matrix Reloaded"/Star Wars prequel movies of the game industry.  What (in your opinion) are sequels that would have been better off not existing?

I'll start with an obvious one: Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic II. While the plot of KotOR 1 was admittedly a straightforward and somewhat predictable affair, it felt like Star Wars and was still interesting enough to keep me engaged (admittedly I was 12 or 13 when it came out so take that as you may). KotOR 2 however, has a confusing and poorly told story that lacked certain things. Like an ending. It also shipped buggy as hell with wide swaths of incomplete and obviously removed content, which appearently has been restored (and probably still wouldn't change my opinion on the game a whole lot).

#2 Posted by Yummylee (23201 posts) -

Dino Crisis 3, I would of actually liked to have yet another amazing Dino Crisis game like the second, but with the 3rd being...so...so bad....I would of rather it just ended with the second.
#3 Posted by FiestaUnicorn (1663 posts) -

Pretty much any sequel to Tetris.  They're just kind of pointless.
#4 Posted by unreal999 (82 posts) -

FF x 2 was fuck*** waste of space. Actually it still is that game should never be even thought about.

#5 Posted by Jeust (11386 posts) -

Silent Hill 5, though some people liked it.

#6 Posted by IndeedCodyBrown (515 posts) -

SMB2 (Doki Doki Version)
#7 Posted by 10MP (314 posts) -

resident evil 5

#8 Posted by Demyx (3240 posts) -

As soon as I started reading your post, my first thought was KOTOR II, haven't really gotten that far, but it hasn't really seemed as good as the first. Also FFX-2

#9 Posted by Jeust (11386 posts) -
@Kingofallya said:
" SMB2 (Doki Doki Version) "
It was actually a fun game, once you look besides the awkwardness of the gameplay.
#10 Posted by natetodamax (19418 posts) -

Bioshock 2.......................

#11 Posted by Yummylee (23201 posts) -
@Jeust said:
"Silent Hill 5, though some people liked it. "

Homecoming? I enjoyed it, but wouldn't be heartbroken if it decided to just not exist.
#12 Posted by Synchronatic (137 posts) -
@unreal999 said:
" FF x 2 was fuck*** waste of space. Actually it still is that game should never be even thought about. "
Nice censoring. Real effective.

On topic: Bioshock 2
#13 Posted by Jeust (11386 posts) -
@Abyssfull said:
" @Jeust said:
"Silent Hill 5, though some people liked it. "
Homecoming? I enjoyed it, but wouldn't be heartbroken if it decided to just not exist. "
I believe so, but there are people that really enjoyed it. Even so, the game is a blemish on what was done before.
#14 Posted by rhodric (283 posts) -
@unreal999 said:
" FF x 2 was fuck*** waste of space. Actually it still is that game should never be even thought about. "
Yes while cosplay is (sometimes) nice, making a game around it is just silly.
#15 Posted by Yummylee (23201 posts) -
@natetodamax said:
"Bioshock 2....................... "

*gasp* How could you go there??? ='(....Nah i can see where the hate stems from, but I'm totally looking forward to BioShock 2 myself.
#16 Posted by DuhQbnSiLo (2241 posts) -

God of War 2 and 3
Bioshock 2
Forza 3

#17 Posted by Shirogane (3593 posts) -

I wouldn't say KoToR II shouldn't have existed, more like, it should've been finished or cancelled. 

I think X-2 is the only one i can really think of. Wow that game was...
#18 Posted by Coombs (3507 posts) -

Tony Hawks RIDE

#19 Posted by Hailinel (25787 posts) -

I would not cry in the least if Final Fantasy X-2 and Valkyrie Profile 2 were wiped from existence.  Both games only managed to shit all over the games that came before them.

#20 Posted by Alphonzo (798 posts) -

Bioshock 2 
Every 21st century Sonic game

#21 Posted by EpicSteve (6910 posts) -

Mercenaries 2

#22 Posted by jim_dandy (885 posts) -

Deus Ex: Invisible War. 

Fuck that POS. So god-damn terrible compared to the original.

#23 Posted by Romination (2823 posts) -
@Jeust said:
" @Kingofallya said:
" SMB2 (Doki Doki Version) "
It was actually a fun game, once you look besides the awkwardness of the gameplay. "
What the fuck are you talking about? That was one of the best ones and I got back through yearly for this. 
#24 Posted by pause422 (6263 posts) -

Bioshock 2 really shouldnt be made.

#25 Posted by Warp (102 posts) -

Several years back there was a perfectly competent survival horror game called The Suffering. It featured an interesting story and a nice backdrop in the form of an island prison that had become haunted by all sorts of nasty demons while you played as a prisoner trying to get out of there. The games major strength was its dark and VERY bleak atmosphere which featured ridiculous amounts of gore and disturbing monsters. All in all a pretty damn good game.

...Which was promptly shit upon by its sequel, Ties That Bind. The designers saw fit to gimp the player into only being able to hold two weapons at a time and an extremely limited amount of meds which the first game didnt do. This made the game punishingly hard even on normal difficulty. It also was set in a decrepit city environment that wasnt nearly as novel as the first games prison setting. The game also retconned the first games story in order add a new villain that made absolutely no sense. 

All in all one of the biggest disappointments I had ever come across.

Also... Simon's Quest. Fuck that game.

#26 Posted by MildMolasses (3189 posts) -

Bioshock 2. And it's not even a matter or quaity (obviously as no one has played it) so much as the game is totally unnecessary. I know that these publishers are a business and they are trying to capitalize on their successes, but sometimes it's okay to let something exist in a single installment.

I fully expect to be saying the same thing about Batman 2

#27 Posted by Fistfulofmetal (755 posts) -

how the fuck has no one said Devil May Cry 2. SHAKE MY HEAD

#28 Posted by InTheEnd (274 posts) -

All the Halo games following Combat Evolved.

#29 Posted by Izaak (255 posts) -
@DuhQbnSiLo said:
" God of War 2 and 3 Bioshock 2 Forza 3 "
I have to disagree with you on Forza 3, that game is so much more accessible, better looking and customisable than Forza 2.  It's not a bad game at all, and I can see no reasons why it shouldn't have been made. 
#30 Posted by Snail (8770 posts) -
@natetodamax said:
" Bioshock 2....................... "
#31 Posted by Stephen_Von_Cloud (1537 posts) -

Deus Ex 2 is my worst offender.  Completely misunderstood what was good about 1 and where to take the sequel.  Such a disappointing sequel to such an amazing game.

#32 Posted by FlamingHobo (4769 posts) -
@Fragstoff said:
" the Xbox 360 "
Are you ignorant, or just plain stupid? 

On Topic: I don't see why so many people are saying BioShock 2, as wary as I am of it myself. The game has yet to be released and there may be some promise that lies in 2K Marin's sequel, though they really shouldn't have added multiplayer.
#33 Posted by Tireyo (6712 posts) -

All Sonic the Hedgehog games that are after Sonic and Knuckles, except for Sonic Rush, Sonic Rush Adventure, and Sonic Adventure for the DreamCast. The Sonic Rush games for the DS are ok, but it has shown in the two DS games how drastically Sonic has changed for the worse.

#34 Posted by Pibo47 (3236 posts) -
@Synchronatic said:
" @unreal999 said:
Nice censoring. Real effective.  On topic: Bioshock 2 "
Agreed on both points hahaha
#35 Posted by Emandudeguyperson (2750 posts) -

Tony Hawk's Project 8 and beyond are all terrible.

#36 Posted by Driadon (3078 posts) -
@fistfulofmetal said:
" how the fuck has no one said Devil May Cry 2. SHAKE MY HEAD "
Well, you needed 2 to get the awesome that is 3. 

And, yes, Invisible War should have not had Deus Ex in the title, as well as Red Faction 2.
#37 Edited by jinxman (527 posts) -
@natetodamax said:

" Bioshock 2....................... "

i'm so glad other people agree with me!  i'm scared i'm going to buy that game and continue hating it, but still force myself to play it. :( 

Also, Definitely KOTOR 2...i couldn't even make it past the first mission because i could tell it was going to be terrible... 
Condemned 2, although i don't have an entirely educated view because i haven't actually played it besides the demo, but it seemed to me that they really fucked with the vibe of the first one, which i personally enjoyed a lot, and they changed the guy's voice, which was not cool.
#38 Posted by the_stig (237 posts) -

Red Asphalt, the sequel to Rock n Roll racing that wasn't that good probably due to the fact that Interplay made the game not Blizzard.

#39 Posted by zudthespud (3327 posts) -
@10MP said:
" resident evil 5 "
#40 Posted by Ben_H (3602 posts) -
@DuhQbnSiLo said:
"Forza 3 "
What's wrong with Forza 3?  It did everything a sequel is supposed to do.  It had better graphics and physics.  A larger variety of cars, more tracks and everything a sequel needs.  Plus it's way more of an upgrade to Forza 2 compared to how Forza 2 was to Forza 1.  Forza 2 was just shinier Forza 1 with Lamborghinis and no Fujimi Kaido, which is of course the greatest track of all time.
#41 Posted by Cerza (1678 posts) -

Breath of Fire V
Bloody Roar 4
Seiken Densetsu IV
Dragon Quest VIII
Dragon Quest IX
Unlimited Saga
Every Star Fox after Star Fox 64.

#42 Posted by Stephen_Von_Cloud (1537 posts) -
@Ben_H said:
" @DuhQbnSiLo said:
"Forza 3 "
What's wrong with Forza 3?  It did everything a sequel is supposed to do.  It had better graphics and physics.  A larger variety of cars, more tracks and everything a sequel needs.  Plus it's way more of an upgrade to Forza 2 compared to how Forza 2 was to Forza 1.  Forza 2 was just shinier Forza 1 with Lamborghinis and no Fujimi Kaido, which is of course the greatest track of all time. "
Gotta agree there.  Forza 3 is one of most brilliant games I've ever played design wise, and as a sequel it only improved.  It's not like they could fuck up the storyline or something.
#43 Posted by nukesniper (1265 posts) -
@ArbitraryWater said:
"  I'll start with an obvious one: Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic II. While the plot of KotOR 1 was admittedly a straightforward and somewhat predictable affair, it felt like Star Wars and was still interesting enough to keep me engaged (admittedly I was 12 or 13 when it came out so take that as you may). KotOR 2 however, has a confusing and poorly told story that lacked certain things. Like an ending. It also shipped buggy as hell with wide swaths of incomplete and obviously removed content, which appearently has been restored (and probably still wouldn't change my opinion on the game a whole lot). "
I've heard from a few people that KOTOR2 was better than KOTOR1. I have never looked into this myself, but I probably trust the giantbomb community more at this point. Should I not play KOTOR 2 ever? 

My candidate for worst sequel: Zelda: Majora's Mask (I just couldn't stand that game, and comparing it to Ocarina makes it look like crap)
#44 Posted by AuthenticM (4244 posts) -

I can't believe what some of you are even saying.

#45 Posted by ADTR_ZERO (1122 posts) -

Uncharted 2 SUX! 
Bad COmapuny 2 will SUX! 
Killzon 2 SUXD!!! 
Gears of Wor 2 SUXD!!!!!!! 
Bioshok 2 were SUX!!!! 

/sarcasm 

I can't really think of any other than SOCOM: Confrontation
#46 Posted by twhalen (129 posts) -

Thief: Deadly Shadows. The first two Thief games had complex, large scale level design that was ahead of its time. Each also had an engrossing, dark atmosphere, moody cut scenes, and well told stories. Deadly Shadows had none of that... it could have been a great game, it had some interesting ideas- but too many technical flaws and poor design decisions held it back. 

#47 Posted by TwoOneFive (9787 posts) -
@10MP said:
" resident evil 5 "
ditto.  
man i hate that game. i seriously cant understand that guy who work for Giant Bomb, with access to every awesome game on the market, wasted hours and hours replaying through that game. i mean wtf. 
#48 Posted by TwoOneFive (9787 posts) -
@DuhQbnSiLo said:
" God of War 2 and 3 Bioshock 2 Forza 3 "
maybe bioshock 2.... but its too early too judge so thats not fair.  

but come on, this can't be serious.... 
GOW 1 and 2 are excellent, and 3 will be even better. 
and Forza 3 is a great game too. 
#49 Posted by Kiemoe (1091 posts) -

I have to say that I really enjoyed FFX-2's battle system. Everything else was pretty disappointing, but the battle system alone made that game worth it. On topic, though, Jak X was a pretty bad idea, and so was every Crash Bandicoot past the ps1    

#50 Posted by TheHBK (5658 posts) -

Any FF game beyond 6

Halo ODST

Batman Arkham Asylum 2

Tony Hawk after 3

Super Mario Sunshine

Wrestling games after WWF No Mercy

Resident Evil 5