#1 Posted by MisterMouse (3563 posts) -

Hello hello duders,

Well I have a friend who is in his fifties, and later in his life he started getting into some games (diablo [I, and II], Everquest, and eventually World of Warcraft). He has really gotten into World of Warcraft and has been playing for six years or so, and decided to go and purchase a good rig and monitor. He personally really likes to immerse himself into a world and story, and thus he has devoted a lot of time to WoW and enjoys delving into that world. He is planning on playing Diablo III but I have been thinking about trying to expand the genre and company of games he can play. He would not really be into most first person shooters, and real time strategy games, from the short time he has played, hasn't done anything for him. Preferably it would be a game with a deep and compelling story, in which the gameplay elements aren't potentially overwhelming (some aspects of Witcher might not be the greatest thing). What suggestions do you guys have, so I could try to expand his horizon on games he can play because there will be a time where he either tires of WoW, it is no longer supported and he is not really into whatever the Titan project blizzard is working on. Any help would be appreciated and I want to give you guys a thank you in advance.

#2 Posted by RedRavN (414 posts) -

What about a more story driven rpg like dragon age origins? Its pretty intuitive to play, has some nice tactical aspects and has a world that you can get lost in. Also, portal 2 seems like a game that would impress just about anyone and definately suits a more mature crowd. Also, LA Noire might be a good fit. Lastly, Mafia 2 might be a good segway into an action game.

#3 Posted by PerryVandell (2109 posts) -

If he likes Diablo he'll probably enjoy the dog-bartering world of Torchlight. And I'm recommending Trine as well, just for the hell of it. They certainly won't last as long as WoW, but you know--baby steps and all that.

#4 Posted by ShadowConqueror (3082 posts) -

Sounds like he has good taste in games to me.

#5 Posted by Jay444111 (2441 posts) -

@MisterMouse said:

Hello hello duders,

Well I have a friend who is in his fifties, and later in his life he started getting into some games (diablo [I, and II], Everquest, and eventually World of Warcraft). He has really gotten into World of Warcraft and has been playing for six years or so, and decided to go and purchase a good rig and monitor. He personally really likes to immerse himself into a world and story, and thus he has devoted a lot of time to WoW and enjoys delving into that world. He is planning on playing Diablo III but I have been thinking about trying to expand the genre and company of games he can play. He would not really be into most first person shooters, and real time strategy games, from the short time he has played, hasn't done anything for him. Preferably it would be a game with a deep and compelling story, in which the gameplay elements aren't potentially overwhelming (some aspects of Witcher might not be the greatest thing). What suggestions do you guys have, so I could try to expand his horizon on games he can play because there will be a time where he either tires of WoW, it is no longer supported and he is not really into whatever the Titan project blizzard is working on. Any help would be appreciated and I want to give you guys a thank you in advance.

MGS if you can somehow get it and have him play it. It has a great story to it and it would show him some history into video game storytelling as well. Nier isn't that hard if you play it a bit, it has an amazing story and it can actually be pretty easy throughout. Bully if he doesn't mind the name of it is an excellent video game that is fairly simple and has great controls. (PS2 version though, ignore all others.)

Fallout 3 and New vegas, the VATs system is pretty much usable by anyone and it works amazingly to the point where I never tire of it. Also oblivion and skyrim if he wants to check out big open worlds, just set them to the easiest difficulty and if he enjoys them then he can up the difficulty later on in all of them. (This is all if he knows how to use two thumbsticks. Have you ever seen someone only use one without the other, it amounts to being dizzy completely so make sure he can actually USE two thumbsticks!) 3D zeldas are a must play for anyone and actually have pretty good camera controls overall.

#6 Posted by MisterMouse (3563 posts) -

@Jay444111: Yeah unfortunately he does not seem to be into getting into using a game pad with thumbsticks, (which I am sorry I did not originally mention in my post) which kind of limits some PC games even. He is very much going to be a PC only player, and doesn't want to get into Thumbsticks. I will definitely see what he things of Fallout 3 thought and make sure to mention the VATs system. I will also have to see what he thinks of Skyrim.

@RedRavN: Dragon Age Origins might be a good option actually, I had forgotten about that one. Question though is it necessary to pause the combat and choose what your companions do to succeed at the game, because he would very much be into developing and controlling a single player. Maybe on easy that would be an option. Will definitely let him try out Portal 2 and see what he thinks of that, personal favorite of mine as well.

@PerryVandell: Yes definitely going to see if he will play Torchlight II when it comes out, which I am hoping has a deeper story because the first one was very light story wise, and I should be able to play Torchlight II with him as well which will be good. Great Suggestion.

Thank you guys for the suggestions so far!

#7 Posted by PerryVandell (2109 posts) -
@MisterMouse In Dragon Age you can "program" your companions to perform certain actions when encountering specific situations (ie attack nearest enemy, heal
#8 Posted by MisterMouse (3563 posts) -

@PerryVandell: Wonderful, that would work out perfectly, thank you for the reply.

#9 Posted by PerryVandell (2109 posts) -
@MisterMouse Sorry typing from the mobile site. The other example was heal ALLY1 when ALLY1's health is less than 50%. It's basically the gambit system from Final Fantasy XII if you ever played that. I only controlled my squadmates when shit hit the fan and I'd die in 2 seconds without emergency healing.
#10 Posted by Humanity (9869 posts) -

@MisterMouse: I haven't seen anyone mention The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - it's not especially difficult and has a deep world, sort of, with a lot of books he can read and so forth. Would the fact that it's best played in first person be a complete turn off for him?

#11 Posted by MisterMouse (3563 posts) -

@Humanity: That is a great question actually, and the thing is that I am not sure yet, I will figure that out though. With skyrim the only thing that I would be iffy about would be that the combat can be, I guess, unwieldy at times, but I think considering the depth the world of Skyrim has I think he would enjoy that aspect of it.

#12 Posted by CountRockula (398 posts) -

I know you mention he wouldn't be into first-person shooters, but would the presence of first-person shooting be a deal-breaker? If not, Deus Ex:HR is a pretty fun world to lose around 30 hours in; the shooting is there, but that game is really more about soaking up the atmosphere and getting up to shenanigans in the hub cities.

#13 Posted by crusader8463 (14427 posts) -
#14 Posted by Humanity (9869 posts) -

@MisterMouse: I actually think the clunkyness is in his favor. Since most combat basically boils down to WoW standing in front of each other and bashing until your enemy falls first. Sure if you are a bit more mobile that can help but I don't think it's necessary. It might be a perfect gateway for him to get into slightly more reflex or action based games?

Ultimately I don't think there are a lot of current generation RPG's for pc that are all that good. Out of oldies I can recommend of course Fallout 2, Baldur's Gate series or Planescape: Torment.

#15 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7241 posts) -

Fallout 3, Mass Effect, Dragon Age and Skyrim are just a few really good games that have compelling and in depth story along with deep lores.

Also check suggest to him Guild Wars 2, it focuses a lot more on story than World Of Warcraft.

#16 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Hey, everybody who's recommending Fallout 3: didn't he say that he's not gonna be into FPSeses? So isn't that gonna be a hard sell? As for my recommendations, focusing in on the story thing without overwhelming gameplay elements, Fragile Dreams and Katawa Shoujo.

#17 Posted by Humanity (9869 posts) -

@Video_Game_King: Fallout 3 is barely an FPS and while I personally don't think it's a very good RPG, the VATs targetting system eliminates all first person targetting woes.

#18 Posted by StarvingGamer (8472 posts) -

Honestly he should just play Witcher 2 and if it seems too difficult he can switch the difficulty down to easy.

#19 Posted by mosespippy (4378 posts) -

I'm going to make an argument for Vice City. It seems like your friend enjoys exploring worlds with interesting characters and story telling. While all the GTA games fit that description I feel like Vice City is the most fun to explore. San Andreas and GTA IV might have bigger maps to explore but the amount of things to find isn't increased proportionally so Vice City has a higher concentration of points of interest. The smaller city size also allows for a greater reduction in travel time. There was nothing worse than in San Andreas than ending up in the woods without a vehicle and having to walk for 2 or 3 minutes just to reach an empty road.

The characters are really what make that game though. While I feel like San Andreas and Episodes from Liberty City have better characters, I don't think those games have a rich enough setting. Vice City certainly doesn't lack interesting personalities either. The radio is what makes that series shine. It's key in linking what the player does and who he meets to the static city and vice versa. That connection is what males the player feel like he is a part of a bigger world.

The mechanics aren't too hard to grasp. You don't have to aim to shoot people since the lock on functionality makes everything easy. Other than that flying might present a problem. I'd totally understand if the themes or tone of the franchise would turn off your friend though.

Looking back on my post now I would also say GTA IV is a good option if you also include the Episodes from Liberty City. Playing as three very different characters with three very different motivations in a concurrent timeline makes that world feel complete. It probably also helps that Tommy, Niko and Johnny are all in their 40s or 50s while most games have protagonists that are in their teens or early twenties. They would probably be more relatable. If only Red Dead Redemption was on PC as that would probably be a better fit.

#20 Posted by ICryCauseImEmo (522 posts) -

I would certainly suggest as others noted. Torchlight 1 or 2 (better off waiting for 2). Titan Quest and Titan Quest Immortal Throne. Also throw in Grim Dawn he can check them out at their Kickstarter page. I would also saw possibly Mount and Blade Warband the combat in that game is so addictive.

#21 Edited by Phatmac (5726 posts) -

Fallout 3, Skyrim, Mass Effect, Dragon Age, and more big immersive RPGs would be my recommendation.

#22 Posted by fox01313 (5088 posts) -

Star Trek Online, Trackmania series, Torchlight series (when it comes out).