• 67 results
#1 Posted by Deleth (250 posts) -

Today I was looking through my game collection since I didn't feel like playing one of the games on steam I own when I came across Arcanum Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura. At first I wondered why I didn't really remember this game and then why I never bothered to finish it. Then I remembered and I honestly wish I hadn't. The game overall was unlike to many others fairly unremarkable to me till I ran across the gnome conspiracy.

To those who never played the game and still want to don't read any further from her on out unless you don't really care. The gnome conspiracy was about the large scale abduction of human women by the gnomes. The reason they did this was to force them to mate them with ogres so they could breed half ogres, a lethal process to these women.

You actually try to uncover this and make the knowledge public. While doing so you only find out how vast this project really was and that literarelly every single gnome supported this or at least did not really mind. They started with prostitutes whom were apparently to sickly to last long or survive surgery which enabled women to be used up to three time before dying. So when the king of tarant found out they had him murdered, abducted the queen pinned the blame on her and made her the first successfull attempt at breeding a women several times to an ogre, she died after the third half ogre.

They then went on to pretty much seize controll of Tarant abducting even larger numbers of women some of them the wives and !daughters! of everyone who politically or somehow else opposed them. And during the time Arcanum takes place they got away with it.

After uncovering all of this nothing ultimatively comes from it. As the gnomes simply one up you at the end of the story line with you unknowingly helping them destroying the last evidence. They then go on to taunt you about it and how you can't do a damn thing because nobody would believe it. Personally I think many people never really bothered to really think about the implications of all this.

It means that hundreds or even thousands of women were abducted, raped by ogres and often died by giving birth. The utter horror, terror couldn't be possibly imagined of this couldn't be possibly described in words. And with the mention of "daughters" it isn't just fair to assume that it wasn't only fully grown women whom this happened to or who were abducted for this purpose.

So why did Sierra Entertainment feel it necessary to include this mini arc into their otherwise decent game? So they could come up with a cheap X-Files shout out. For nothing else but this did they created the to me most disgusting, infuriating and sick story I've ever seen in a video game. Never before or after did a game make me feel this disgusted and physically ill. I don't know why I kept this game in the first place. But I today broke the cd and threw it away. This game sure as hell wont be missed by me.

What about you guys. Do you had similar experiences with other games or even worse ones? What do you think about this?

#2 Posted by Demoskinos (14562 posts) -

Uh, okay?

#3 Posted by falserelic (5324 posts) -

I haven't actually played it but Big Rigs: Over The Road Racing. I heard it was so good that the reviewer didn't even need to review the game. The game speaks for itself.

#4 Posted by Damodar (1301 posts) -

What did they want half-ogres for?

#5 Posted by Shrimpy (96 posts) -

Gnomes...

How do they sleep at night?

#6 Posted by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

None of that really does make any sense doe sit? I wish to point out however, that all women are SOMEBODY'S daughter.

I have a copy of Deathsmiles and I steadfastly refuse to put it in my 360.

#7 Posted by peritus (959 posts) -

@Damodar said:

Im curious about that too.

#8 Posted by FriedConsole (53 posts) -

@Deleth: I usually hate Internet memes but why hasn't somebody said this yet:

1) Collect women to have sex with

2) ????

3) Profit

#9 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

@Deleth:

Yeah, Arcanum took a really dark turn with that bit of plot. The worst part is you can't do anything about it. The writers were either nihilists or just dicks.

#10 Posted by adam1808 (1372 posts) -
#11 Posted by psylah (2162 posts) -

Yeah, that's kinda fucked up.

#12 Posted by Sploder (917 posts) -

That sounds pretty interesting at least, I'm gonna play it. Also did you know that the Locust in Gears reproduce by raping the Berserkers?

#13 Posted by psylah (2162 posts) -

@Sploder said:

That sounds pretty interesting at least, I'm gonna play it. Also did you know that the Locust in Gears reproduce by raping the Berserkers?

Cis scum Locust, perpetuating their rape culture...

#14 Edited by Zaccheus (1788 posts) -

Scorching civilians (women and children) alive with white phosphorus in Spec Ops: The Line comes to mind. Disgusting, nauseating and revolting in a good-bad way.

#15 Posted by atomic_dumpling (2458 posts) -

Not exactly a game, but watching this gave me the worst motion sickness or seizure or something. It fucked me up for two days.

#16 Posted by Deleth (250 posts) -

@peritus said:

@Damodar said:

Bodyguards. The half ogres they've bred that way are pretty much a "slave race" of bodyguards to them because they themselves are puny and can't put up much of a fight. It's even stated that they keep the female half-ogres away from the rest all of them locked up in factories as breeding slaves. They unlike the human females don't die from it though. Aside from that not much better.

Yes all of them are someones daughter. But seeing as how they were abducted alongside their mother's it's safe to assume that they were adolescents or even children at that time. Putting this on a whole other magnitude.

#17 Posted by psylah (2162 posts) -

@Deleth said:

@peritus said:

@Damodar said:

Bodyguards. The half ogres they've bred that way are pretty much a "slave race" of bodyguards to them because they themselves are puny and can't put up much of a fight. It's even stated that they keep the female half-ogres away from the rest all of them locked up in factories as breeding slaves. They unlike the human females don't die from it though. Aside from that not much better.

Yes all of them are someones daughter. But seeing as how they were abducted alongside their mother's it's safe to assume that they were adolescents or even children at that time. Putting this on a whole other magnitude.

I don't know, the way you phrased it was that they were the daughters of political opponents, that does not imply that the daughters themselves were not fully grown adults themselves, simply their relation to the political figure.

#18 Posted by theoldhouse (439 posts) -

I put that goddamn gnome in that goddamn rocket.

What a pain that was!

#19 Posted by thomasnash (539 posts) -

@Ravenlight: I would say that given one of the possible endings of that game is that you can literally destroy the entire universe, I think they might be nihilists. But nihilists are dicks anyway...

#20 Posted by Rohok (553 posts) -

Guild Wars 2

#21 Posted by zyn (2591 posts) -

@FriedConsole said:

@Deleth: I usually hate Internet memes but why hasn't somebody said this yet:

1) Collect women to have sex with

2) ????

3) Profit

Sounds like a Duke Nukem game.

#22 Posted by Deleth (250 posts) -

@psylah said:

@Deleth said:

@peritus said:

@Damodar said:

I don't know, the way you phrased it was that they were the daughters of political opponents, that does not imply that the daughters themselves were not fully grown adults themselves, simply their relation to the political figure.

Yes some of them might've been fully grown, others most certaintly wouldn't have been. It was never stated they made any kind of difference and doesn't change how messed up it was. It is pretty much a parasitic race (gnomes) forcing their way into another one and more then destroying any kind of opposition to this while doing stuff right out of someone's nightmare.

#23 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11471 posts) -

I don't think I ever got that far in Arcanum... of course I didn't finish that game for various other reasons, the most obvious being that I don't think it's very good.

But to be on topic (both about morally concerning games and not-especially-great RPGs), I'm attempting to play the recently released Inquisitor and I can't say that the way torture is portrayed sits very well with me. The game basically tells you that the only way you're ever going to get a confession is through running the suspect through the rack a few times, even when the suspect is probably innocent. Then we get to the part where everything is clearly modeled after the historical inquisition and the catholic church of that era and it gets a bit more questionable.

#24 Posted by c0l0nelp0c0rn1 (1803 posts) -

I thought that Dead Island was pretty insensitive towards women.

#25 Posted by sodacat (214 posts) -

The executions in Manhunt are still the only time a video game image has made me physically ill.

@nintendoeats said:

None of that really does make any sense doe sit? I wish to point out however, that all women are SOMEBODY'S daughter.

Clones aren't!

#26 Posted by Keavy_Rain (129 posts) -

Bulletstorm.

The mediocre FPS gameplay combined with the "Angry Video Game Nerd" style script just made me hate myself for playing that game.

#27 Edited by EvilNiGHTS (1093 posts) -

I've never really felt as if I'm watching Birth of a Nation while playing a game, firstly because I don't find many games that are overtly trying to push a political agenda, and secondly because I seem desensitised to the idea that many videogames have you acting out things that are reprehensible as if it's second nature. Even some of the darker elements of games like Fallout are done in the style of a black comedy.

Speaking of Fallout though, there is one section of Fallout 3 that stirred something in me far more than the rest of the game, which was the Tenpenny Tower quest. Although Roy Phillips was clearly a douchebag early on, his followers certainly weren't and he was at least right in that he should be just as entitled to live in Tenpenny Tower as anybody else. So after vouching for him, to find out what he and his followers had done afterwards made me so displeased that I had to murder him. With mitigating circumstances, of course.

That's probably one of the most interesting parts of the game though. Moral choices in games typically don't mean much other than "do good things and good things happen for everybody", and it's rare that your altruism pays off in such a way that you damned an entire building full of people by doing what you thought was the right thing. You usually don't get shades of grey like that.

#28 Posted by Questionable (619 posts) -

"Saya no uta" Will move anyone"s bowels

An I loved every moment of it. This game goes above and beyond necrophilia

#29 Posted by Deleth (250 posts) -

@SuperJoe said:

I am unfamiliar with the gestation period of half-ogres, but if they are to be born in a human womb I assume it's a 9 month cycle. Considering the 3:1 birth ratio of half-ogres, this scenario must have gone on for hundreds of years for the gnomes to amass a sufficient army. It would require a centralized birthing facility of unprecedented scale, equipped with a full-time staff of doctors and nurses to keep the women healthy during pregnancy. Hopefully, births to female half-ogres would lessen the amount of human females needed for breeding over time, since over time there would be a sufficient number of both male & female half-ogres to breed internally.

I don't think they amassed a whole army. They apparently settled for a few hundred female half ogres. It still went on for quite some time and they must've murdered a large number of women with what they did in one of the most gruesome way I've heard about in any kind of game. In all honesty it was the first time I thought the genocide of an entire race the gnomes would not just be justified but one of the best things that could possibly happen to the world of Arcanum. I've ever since despised gnomes even in completly unrelated games.

@EvilNiGHTS said:

I've never really felt as if I'm watching Birth of a Nation while playing a game, firstly because I don't find many games that are overtly trying to push a political agenda, and secondly because I seem desensitised to the idea that many videogames have you acting out things that are reprehensible as if it's second nature. Even some of the darker elements of games like Fallout are done in the style of a black comedy.

Speaking of Fallout though, there is one section of Fallout 3 that stirred something in me far more than the rest of the game, which was the Tenpenny Tower quest. Although Roy Phillips was clearly a douchebag early on, his followers certainly weren't and he was at least right in that he should be just as entitled to live in Tenpenny Tower as anybody else. So after vouching for him, to find out what he and his followers had done afterwards made me so displeased that I had to murder him. With mitigating circumstances, of course.

That's probably one of the most interesting parts of the game though. Moral choices in games typically don't mean much other than "do good things and good things happen for everybody", and it's rare that your altruism pays off in such a way that you damned an entire building full of people by doing what you thought was the right thing. You usually don't get shades of grey like that.

Oh I remember that one. I solved it by staying out of the matter. The problem was that it wasn't really much of a choice. Either you did the apparently "good" thing and helped everyone get along just for the Ghouls to then turn around and murder everyone for no apparent reason whatsoever aside from being douches, you help them kill anyone right away because you're evil or you kill the Ghouls. The problem I had with it was that if you killed the Ghouls you get trash talked by three dog for the rest of the game while the game never even let him acknowledge what happened if you helped "everyone get along".

So the only winning move here seemed to stay out of everything. Thus nothing at all happened and everyone could live on happily. But at least these people had a "clean" death. They were "just" shot by the ghouls and didn't went through years of unimaginable horror just to have something far to big tear itself out of them killing them in the process and being repeatedly raped. :|

#30 Posted by punkxblaze (2956 posts) -
Hail to the king, baby.
#31 Posted by ervonymous (1297 posts) -

@Questionable said:

"Saya no uta" Will move anyone"s bowels An I loved every moment of it. This game goes above and beyond necrophilia

I've yet to read it but I fully intend to.

Corpse Party is the only one that comes to mind, some gnarly stuff goes down and the gameplay... stays true to the original PC-98 version. I think I'm gonna hurl.

#32 Posted by IzzyGraze (850 posts) -

I usually do some research on games before buying them so I've never played a game like that. I'd say the postal games and new duke nukem are the closest to disgusting games. Amnesia would be the most revolting. I enjoyed watching many lps of it and have nothing against the game. I just feel a bit queesy whenever they get to the torture rooms and read the descriptions of what each instrument does. It's always a bit horrifying to think that those things were actually used...like the bull...fuck.

#33 Posted by Ghostiet (5224 posts) -
@punkxblaze said:
Hail to the king, baby.
Duke's "I guess you're fucked" line made me want to punch babies and that fucker who wrote it.
#34 Posted by JoshyLee (176 posts) -

Manhunt. When the Director says he needs a change of pants after a brutal kill I needed a shower.

#35 Posted by Deleth (250 posts) -

@Ghostiet said:

@punkxblaze said:
Hail to the king, baby.
Duke's "I guess you're fucked" line made me want to punch babies and that fucker who wrote it.

Would you guys care to elaborate what that line and this picture is about?

#36 Edited by Ghostiet (5224 posts) -
@Deleth

Duke Nukem Forever. Duke is running through an alien hive filled with husks of girls that were raped and impregnated by aliens. He comes along two twins whom he was cordial with that shared the same fate and now have alien fetuses in them. Duke responds with that line callously before their bellies burst and they die horrifically as hosts for monsters.

And you can smack tits on the ship to increase your ego.

#37 Posted by CaLe (3910 posts) -

I have yet to feel revulsion towards a game. It was only recently that I felt any kind of revulsion towards a movie.

#38 Edited by CornBREDX (4795 posts) -

No, I cant think of any game making me physically ill because gore in video games is, has been, always will be cartoony. Even games like Splatterhouse are more hysterical then disgusting. Manhunts executions were well done but again not capable of being disgusting. Pissed off, maybe, but for different reasons (or more recently with The Walking dead emotionally feeling torn).

Story wise, I thought of a game earlier (Postal 3) that was in that realm of disgusting but again that stuff never caused me to want to break the game or anything (I just didnt buy Postal 3 due to it and because it appeared to be incredibly lazily made). I feel if done well a story of this kind of horror that can teach us things and serve as examples. Of course, you gave a good example of it (in the OP) being done in a way that suggested they may have guessed you may not even play it (being that it apparently has no real conclusion other than "Nah nah, you cant stop us") so there are those too.  

Anywho, no I have not ever been affected in that way by a game.

#39 Posted by avidwriter (667 posts) -

@atomic_dumpling:

Rushing through a game like Half-Life truly that is horrifying to me.

#40 Posted by Irvandus (2818 posts) -

@adam1808 said:

The gnome conspiracy runs deep.

#41 Posted by EvilNiGHTS (1093 posts) -

Hardly outright disgust, but there's a section in Telltale's Back To The Future games where you have to fix timeline knowing that having one person revert to her previous existence would work out pretty bad for her. However, when one character proposes trying to restore the timeline in a way that works out for everybody Marty refuses, showing that he only cares about preserving the timeline in a way that benefits him personally.

In the case of Duke Nukem Forever I really should have been disgusted, but on some level I just felt sorry for the people who made it, their egos being so out of wack that they honestly think they made something awesome.

#42 Posted by Mesoian (1572 posts) -

@Deleth said:

Today I was looking through my game collection since I didn't feel like playing one of the games on steam I own when I came across Arcanum Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura. At first I wondered why I didn't really remember this game and then why I never bothered to finish it. Then I remembered and I honestly wish I hadn't. The game overall was unlike to many others fairly unremarkable to me till I ran across the gnome conspiracy.

To those who never played the game and still want to don't read any further from her on out unless you don't really care. The gnome conspiracy was about the large scale abduction of human women by the gnomes. The reason they did this was to force them to mate them with ogres so they could breed half ogres, a lethal process to these women.

You actually try to uncover this and make the knowledge public. While doing so you only find out how vast this project really was and that literarelly every single gnome supported this or at least did not really mind. They started with prostitutes whom were apparently to sickly to last long or survive surgery which enabled women to be used up to three time before dying. So when the king of tarant found out they had him murdered, abducted the queen pinned the blame on her and made her the first successfull attempt at breeding a women several times to an ogre, she died after the third half ogre.

They then went on to pretty much seize controll of Tarant abducting even larger numbers of women some of them the wives and !daughters! of everyone who politically or somehow else opposed them. And during the time Arcanum takes place they got away with it.

After uncovering all of this nothing ultimatively comes from it. As the gnomes simply one up you at the end of the story line with you unknowingly helping them destroying the last evidence. They then go on to taunt you about it and how you can't do a damn thing because nobody would believe it. Personally I think many people never really bothered to really think about the implications of all this.

It means that hundreds or even thousands of women were abducted, raped by ogres and often died by giving birth. The utter horror, terror couldn't be possibly imagined of this couldn't be possibly described in words. And with the mention of "daughters" it isn't just fair to assume that it wasn't only fully grown women whom this happened to or who were abducted for this purpose.

So why did Sierra Entertainment feel it necessary to include this mini arc into their otherwise decent game? So they could come up with a cheap X-Files shout out. For nothing else but this did they created the to me most disgusting, infuriating and sick story I've ever seen in a video game. Never before or after did a game make me feel this disgusted and physically ill. I don't know why I kept this game in the first place. But I today broke the cd and threw it away. This game sure as hell wont be missed by me.

What about you guys. Do you had similar experiences with other games or even worse ones? What do you think about this?

The fact that you remember it so vividly means that it stuck with you and gave you an emotional charge. More stories need to do this. Of course, the real question is, is there an equvilant emotional response you get from "solving the problem"?

Being upset at something in a story isn't necessarily a bad thing. The thing that makes it so interesting in games is that you get to be in the role of the dealer of vengeance, which should add to the emotional outcry you feel. It just needs to be handled well.

#43 Posted by Deleth (250 posts) -

@Ghostiet said:

@Deleth:

Duke Nukem Forever. Duke is running through an alien hive filled with husks of girls that were raped and impregnated by aliens. He comes along two twins whom he was cordial with that shared the same fate and now have alien fetuses in them. Duke responds with that line callously before their bellies burst and they die horrifically as hosts for monsters.

And you can smack tits on the ship to increase your ego.

Well yeah. That is pretty nasty. I'd give it an 8/10. I think Duke Nukem Forever might've deserved an even lower rating then it got.

#44 Posted by Mesoian (1572 posts) -

@EvilNiGHTS said:

Hardly outright disgust, but there's a section in Telltale's Back To The Future games where you have to fix timeline knowing that having one person revert to her previous existence would work out pretty bad for her. However, when one character proposes trying to restore the timeline in a way that works out for everybody Marty refuses, showing that he only cares about preserving the timeline in a way that benefits him personally.

And that is FASCINATING and really enhances the story.

Back to the Future was really good.

#45 Posted by EvilNiGHTS (1093 posts) -

@Mesoian said:

@EvilNiGHTS said:

And that is FASCINATING and really enhances the story.

Back to the Future was really good.

I think his hypocrisy is at least pointed out to him in a later episode, but at first I got the impression I'd caught onto something I wasn't supposed to. They never really did all that much to address it in the writing, and even the eventual result seems like more of the 'happy accident' stuff that we got at the end of the first movie. I would have liked an arc for Marty that made him work on a better resolution for everybody, but maybe having lead characters with notable flaws that can't be fixed is what mature writing is after all.

#46 Posted by TheHumanDove (2523 posts) -

I'm way too distracted by the underlying gnome problems to contribute in the discussion

#47 Posted by 1337W422102 (1005 posts) -

For me, S.T.A.L.K.E.R. nauseated me, in a good way, though.  The atmosphere was so damn good and the effects you'd see on-screen when you were tired or hungry or dying and whatnot--  All of that worked to make me feel really uncomfortable exploring the Zone, which was intentional and fantastic.  If that's what you mean.

#48 Posted by Dagbiker (6939 posts) -
#49 Posted by Hippie_Genocide (537 posts) -

Barbie's Horse Adventures: Tiajuana Edition

#50 Posted by geirr (2476 posts) -

I don't get upset by video games, at least not since I was a child. And the game that comes to mind that did it then was Super Castlevania because when you whip the ghost dogs, they made a sad dog sound, and I felt like a monster for killing them. So me and my friends made attempts at just skipping killing them all together.