#1 Posted by Brighty (251 posts) -

I don't have a blockbuster near me anymore and was thinking about starting up a GameFly account. I know it was a running gag among the Bombcrew how unappealing the service was, but I was wondering how useful this service is for someone who doesn't buy games on the reg?

I saw that there was a "one month free trial" version that goes into a $22.95 a month plan after the first month, can you quit before the first month and avoid being billed if you don't like it?

#2 Posted by stryker1121 (1567 posts) -

I used it for a while around 2009-2010 and it was OK. Was pretty hard to get new games, though. If you've never played say Batman Arkham Asylum or something older, then the service may work for you but actually getting even older games may still take a week.

When I rent games now I'll get em from RedBox, although the selection there is understandably limited (No Dead Space 3 or DmC, for example)

#3 Edited by DaMisterChief (628 posts) -

If you just want a flurry of games and dont care about the latest and greatest then its worth it

#4 Posted by BlatantNinja23 (930 posts) -

If all you do is tear through the single player of games than yes it is. Delivery has vastly improved, and even as someone who lives in Iowa, I get a new release on Wednesday or Thursday (at least I don't think that's half bad). Since I have the two game plan it than gives me a week to beat a game with that second game free for something new to always show up. It's totally possible to get through 5 games in that $22 month if you went a little crazy. Though even if you played one game in that month, for $15 I still think it's worth it. I think the issue that giant bomb has with it is that they would rent a game but never actually get to playing it. So they found themselves paying for 4 months for one game to just sit on the table cause they never had time for it.

I always get the game sent to me the week of released. Maybe if you want older game you are constantly in the waiting game, but I've never been in that situation. It's also pretty convenient to just purchase a game from them if you realize you want to keep it and have a new slot open for something to get sent the next day. Redbox has also been getting really bad at getting new games, and if it's multiple discs you only get the first one.

#5 Edited by jdh5153 (1034 posts) -

How does it go to $22.95 after one month? That's the two game price. I have GameFly and one game is $15.95, two (which I have) is $22.95.

It's worth it. For example right now I have Devil May Cry and WWE 13 out for only $22. If I bought both it'd be $100+. So I can play both until I'm bored and get into something else.

#6 Posted by sarge1445 (676 posts) -

@brighty said:

I don't have a blockbuster near me anymore and was thinking about starting up a GameFly account. I know it was a running gag among the Bombcrew how unappealing the service was, but I was wondering how useful this service is for someone who doesn't buy games on the reg?

I saw that there was a "one month free trial" version that goes into a $22.95 a month plan after the first month, can you quit before the first month and avoid being billed if you don't like it?

They have gotten better about the new releases, I currently have the service and I love it, if you just pay attention to when the new releases you want are coming and make sure they are the only game you have in your que when they come out

#7 Edited by egg (1469 posts) -

It's worth it. I think everyone should be a gamefly subscriber.

#8 Posted by Mrsignerman44 (1100 posts) -

If you just want a flurry of games and dont care about the latest and greatest then its worth it

They've improved their delivery date service significantly, I've been getting all of my new release games day one since about a year and a half ago. You just have to have your Q open by the day the games ship.

#9 Edited by FFFFFFF (75 posts) -

It differs from place to place. Depending on where you live it could be good or bad. You just need to try it out. Luckily you get the free month and it's really easy to quit without getting billed.

They joke on the podcast about it, because it's bad for them. For normal people, it can be a really good service.

#10 Posted by Demoskinos (15103 posts) -

Personally, no they aren't unless you missed out on a ton of older games and want to get through a bunch of old games. If you are looking to rent new releases you basically have to empty your Q to be able to get a new release and thats IF you are lucky enough to get it. Waiting for stuff in the mail sucks too but I suppose its a good enough service I just don't see any use case for me.

#11 Posted by SomeDeliCook (2341 posts) -

I had it a couple years ago, and the one game service isn't worth it, but the two game service is.

Because a new game wouldn't ship until they received one you had out, you could be waiting 3 or 4 days, and that doesn't include Sunday, and you basically just spent a few bucks on nothing. But with a second game, I would play one to completion while the other was shipping out and a new one was shipping in, repeat until there wasn't anything else I wanted to rent.

Like someone else said, new games are also pretty hard to rent. But again, this was my experience years ago. Nowadays, I can go to a Redbox and rent a new game for just 2 bucks a day.

#12 Posted by Grilledcheez (3955 posts) -

Not at all, I live next to a shipping center and it still took forever to get anything or send anything back.

#13 Edited by GunnerJensen (31 posts) -

Gamefly is definitely worth it for renting out single-player games that may not be worth purchasing. As long as your Queue is clear a few days before a new game is released, you should end up with it. They actually just sent me Metal Gear Rising this morning.

#15 Posted by Hippie_Genocide (682 posts) -

I think its a good deal. You can certainly cancel during your trial period, but if you kept it I would only do the 1-game plan. The reason I don't have it now is that my own backlog of games is huge enough as it is, I need to play those not pay a monthly fee for more games. For new releases that I just want to try out, I'll hit up Redbox.

#16 Edited by cbarnes86 (559 posts) -

I always hear a lot of people talk about not getting new games, but I get every new game I set out to get. I have the two game plan and as long as I have nothing but unreleased games in my Queue and a new game is released, they will send it to me. I think it is a great deal for me at least considering I used to buy any game that I thought I would enjoy playing. Without Gamefly, I would've spent $60 on games like Aliens: CM, Duke Nukem Forever, Hitman Absolution (not that bad of a game, but I got burned out), Medal of Honor Warfighter, Xmen Destiny, and so on. It is nice to experience a lot of these games, but I would never want to own a lot of them. Gamefly has saved me a ton of money.

Not to mention, if a new game is really enjoyable, I can "keep it" for 44.99 and I get a $5 coupon every 3 months.

#17 Edited by SteveL148 (1 posts) -

Yeah I think it's definitely worth it even if you only planned on using 1 game per month. Aside from the subscription plan which is cool to have, by being a member you also get really good discounts on certain games whenever they run promos. They will also give you coupons and other deals.

If you're interested, I found this pretty detailed review here and there's also a promo code to extend your free trial to 14 days: http://www.yourenotstupid.com/gamefly-review-more-gaming-fun-for-less-money/

That could get you started and let you test it out before you pay anything.

#18 Edited by brett990 (53 posts) -

I like it but it really depends on what plan you have since it takes them a while to get you the games. It's also pretty hard to get new games.

#19 Posted by FrankieSpankie (228 posts) -

I had it when I still gamed on my console. I thought it was really worth it. 1 game a month is about $15. A new game is $60. If you can finish a game at a pace of 1 every 4 months, you just about break even. I personally almost never replay games so the argument that you get to keep or resell the games didn't really apply to me. I very rarely sold games too since you didn't get much for them.

#20 Posted by golguin (4009 posts) -

I've beat quite a few number of games on gamefly. During the end of the year deliberations I got XCOM and I finished it up in a little over a week. I sent it back and got Sleeping Dogs and got 1000/1000 on that game and really enjoyed it. I'd say playing those two games was worth the price of having 1 game out a month. I think those $15 was worth it.

I never pay for more than a single month at a time. I like for games to build up and a few months to pass so I always get my first choice sent. I also only keep 1 game in my queue so I know for sure what game they're sending me.