"Gamer" and "e-Sports"

white

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By white

I really don't like these two terms. Why are these terms allowed to exist in everyday lexicon?

"Game" was never intended to be used as verb, let alone being mangled into a disgusting amalgamation.

"Oh, I game every night after work" vs "Oh, I play games every night after work" or "I'm a gamer" vs "I play video games" - which of these sound better?

Also, eSports (or e-sports) is another lazy term. Yes, they play video games professionally and they draw paychecks from sponsorships. But eSports? Really? Can't we as a society come up with better terms?

What is a sport? What are considered "sports"? When people use the words "sports", there's a connotation that there's athleticism involved. Sure, dexterity, hand-eye coordination and competency can also be considered as components of athletics, but that's saying that playing poker or some other card game really well is also a sport.

abendlaender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Racing is a sport and has not much to do with athleticism. The meaning of words change, that's how it works.
"Game" as a verb is silly though, I agree. People don't say "I movied tonight" but I still don't really see this as a big problem.

I find it far more annoying that "LOL" or "rofl" are words people actually say out loud nowadays.

white

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Racing is a sport and has not much to do with athleticism. The meaning of words change, that's how it works.

But racing absolutely has components of athleticism. They need to have the bodies to be able to handle the forces that acts on the driver in high speeds. Those G-Forces will crush a man's lungs if he can't withstand them.

JouselDelka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jesus, not this term rage again...

Dude what the hell does it matter? Gamer is the easiest way to refer to people who religiously play video games, the easiest quickest most familiar word to refer to fellow video game playing people is the word GAMER, that's why terms and labels exist, to make it simple and easy to refer to something or someone.

You're a gamer whether you like it or not, now move on to something actually worth discussing.

StrikeALight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

e-Sports

Lol.

LackingSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#6  Edited By LackingSaint

The term "comic" also relates to comedy even though most comic books aren't trying to be funny, but I guess terms just stick and we have to live with that.

white

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By white

@jouseldelka said:

Dude what the hell does it matter? Gamer is the easiest way to refer to people who religiously play video games, the easiest quickest most familiar word to refer to fellow video game playing people is the word GAMER, that's why terms and labels exist, to make it simple and easy to refer to something or someone.

You're a gamer whether you like it or not, now move on to something actually worth discussing.

Because it's lazy and almost derogatory. It makes us, the video game playing population, seem retarded that our identity is a crafted by twisting a shorthand word and splicing an "er" suffix to it. You don't call baseball players "baseballers" or hockey players "hockeyers". Why can't they just call people who play video games just "people who play video games"?

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

@white said:

@jouseldelka said:

Because it's lazy and almost derogatory. It makes us, the video game playing population, seem retarded that our identity is a crafted by twisting a shorthand word and splicing an "er" suffix to it. You don't call baseball players "baseballers" or hockey players "hockeyers". Why can't they just call people who play video games just "people who play video games"?

Because that's really long? I laughed at the lazy and derogatory part though.

JouselDelka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@white said:

@jouseldelka said:

What's retarded is sitting there mid-post, thinking of how to refer to other gamers to make your point, without using the word "gamer."

What's retarded is saying something like (for example) "I'm losing respect for people who play video games nowadays because etc..." instead of just saying gamers and getting it over with.

And I wouldn't mind using the words baseballers and hockeyers, there's nothing derogatory about using a quick 'er' word to refer to people who do something, you just wanna be offended out of nowhere :)

MistaSparkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

For me, when someone asks, "What do you like to do on your down time?", I usually respond, " I enjoy playing video games." Rarely, will I even use the word "gamer" in reference to video games because to me it feels like a very forced term. I feel like game companies like to be able to associate their customers with a single term, and that's the one they decided on. I get it, it makes sense to me why we are called gamers by some...still sounds super dumb and weird though.

As for E-Sports, I feel a bit differently. I actually like the name for it, although I can understand the confusion and aggravation people face when using/hearing it. We tend to think of physical exertion when we hear sports, and why shouldn't we? That's how it all started. People wrestled as a sport because there was no equipment to make other games. Then, we started rolling rocks down hills and that was a sport. Then, we created a ball and used that for a bunch of games. And finally, we come to the present where we have discovered that computers make for pretty great games.

So, if people are upset about E-Sports not being physical activities, then that's fine. Make a new term, but you have to also include such "sports" as billiards, poker, and chess. We are in need of a description for these activities which require mostly mental strength, rather than sports which are a mix of mental and physical strength. I don't know what that word could be...just please don't call it something dumb like "mentals", and don't name the people who participate in those activities as "brainers."

white

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jouseldelka: It's about having the respect for people who actually enjoy these things. It's like using the word "geek" or "nerd" against someone when all they have is just a better grasp and understanding of concepts that is alien to you, or the N-word just cause of his/her complexion . You could address them by their names, but instead you chose to use slangs and shorthands. I am sure I am not the only one offended by lazy terms like these.

TechHits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

@jouseldelka : @white no need to be so mean and dismissive, I though GB duders where soposta be nice to each other.

As for the derogatory thing I could see where the Op is coming from, the term is useful, but also has a negative connotation. I donno about you but if someone asked if I was a gamer I would say reflexively say no, same if someone asked if I was a nerd. Because that is the case I would rather there be a term out there I would identify with.

JouselDelka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By JouselDelka

@techhits: Oh no no just to be clear I wasn't calling the OP "retarded" or being mean, I was using his wording to show my opposing opinion. I also once had a problem with the word 'gamer' and used to try to work my way around it, so I include myself in my own criticism :) No offense intended.

@white said:

@jouseldelka: It's about having the respect for people who actually enjoy these things. It's like using the word "geek" or "nerd" against someone when all they have is just a better grasp and understanding of concepts that is alien to you, or the N-word just cause of his/her complexion . You could address them by their names, but instead you chose to use slangs and shorthands. I am sure I am not the only one offended by lazy terms like these.

Really you're comparing "game-er" with "nerd," "geek" and the N word? The latter three were coined for the purpose of insulting specific groups of people, the former is a "do-er" noun (whatever it's called in grammar) that associates you with an activity. The only way I can see it as offensive is if the activity it associates you with is a shitty one.

That means that you're ashamed of video games and consider them embarrassing and thus find being called a gamer a disrespectful association.

SquirrelGOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By SquirrelGOD

Look, E-Sports is fine. There's an unspoken agreement that we came to years ago: We let the term "E-Sports" go, and in exchange, idiots stopped trying desperately to push the term "Cyber-Athletes" on us. Holy hell...that one was just pathetic.

TechHits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Look, E-Sports is fine. There's an unspoken agreement that we came to years ago: We let the term "E-Sports" go, and in exchange, idiots stopped trying desperately to push the term "Cyber-Athletes" on us. Holy hell...that one was just pathetic.

I refuse to believe anyone anywhere.... ever.... tried to use the term "Cyber-Athlete" non ironically.

Refuse

davidwitten22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

People who play baseball are actual called baseballers. Basketballers is a term people use as well. People who knit are called knitters. Comparing "gamer" to "nigger" is probably the worst comparison I've ever heard.

TechHits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only way I can see it as offensive is if the activity it associates you with is a shitty one.

That means that you're ashamed of video games and consider them embarrassing and thus find being called a gamer a disrespectful association.

That's a really good point, also I would like to point out that I would be embarrassed to say I was "gaming" but not to say I was playing video games. Something about the language makes it particularly unappealing, I'm not sure what it is exactly.

white

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really you're comparing "game-er" with "nerd," "geek" and the N word? The latter three were coined for the purpose of insulting specific groups of people, the former is a "do-er" noun (whatever it's called in grammar) that associates you with an activity. The only way I can see it as offensive is if the activity it associates you with is a shitty one.

Of course I'm not embarrassed about my hobby. But it's not exactly something you'd go praising to people. It's not one of those activities that the general population linked to a fruitful use of time.

Also, "Cyber-Athletes"? What the fuck?

EvilNiGHTS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

I find it far more annoying that "LOL" or "rofl" are words people actually say out loud nowadays.

I find it annoying people actually say that on the internet.

But to the original post, if the first thing people say about themselves is essentially "I play a lot of video games," I find that unnecessarily reductive. Surely that's not their only interest? You don't see people introduce themselves with "I'm a reader. I read books."

I had this conversation with someone a while back, and she supported the term because she'd rather identify herself that way than tell people she's a nurse, because of the stereotypical response the latter tends to get. But I'm still of the mind that if you don't really need to call yourself a "gamer" unless you're living in a shitty house in South Korea playing Starcraft 12 hours a day.

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By TheSouthernDandy

I agree gamer and stuff like "I game" is dumb but it's not worth getting upset about. Esports is ok. Cyber athlete is silly. Pro gamer is ok. It's all just short hand to say something quickly. I don't know how it's derogatory.

Tomorrowman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

There's nothing derogatory about it at all. A Golfer plays golf. A skater skates. A Magician magics. A farmer farms. A gamer plays games.

Bell_End

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i really don't mind the term 'gamer' and i have no opinion of the term esports.

Trilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

E-sports has nothing to do with athleticism or relation to any other real "sport". E-sports is about the spectacle and scope of the events and live shows that are put on around the game. When Jeff was talking about the difference between e-sports and EVO on the bombcast, it got me thinking. The real difference is that E-spots is striving to televised. When you watch Day-9 and husky commentate a MLG match of starcraft 2, they're imitating what you see on something like ESPN. The quality level isn't quite there yet, but that IS what they're striving for. I think that's why I think E-sports is an acceptable name. Could we do better? Of course. We could do better with a lot of things in this world, but until somebody comes up with an alternative, that's what it will be called.

I agree gamer and stuff like "I game" is dumb but it's not worth getting upset about. Esports is ok. Cyber athlete is silly. Pro gamer is ok. It's all just short hand to say something quickly. I don't know how it's derogatory.

Pro gaming/pro gamer is a fine alternative in my eyes. Unless you hate the word "gamer" which puts us back at square one!

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#24  Edited By veektarius

Game is a verb and has been for some time. See the expression "gaming the system"

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@trilogy: yeah my dislike for gamer but being ok with pro gamer is a weird contradiction I can't really explain. Maybe I've just gotten used to gamer. 'I game' will always be terrible though.

DharmaBum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I've always preferred "competitive games" over the term esports.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#27  Edited By fattony12000

GAMES SPORTS

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers