Gamer dads/moms! Check in here.

martini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By martini

I'm not sure how the demographics on Giant Bomb skew, but I assume that most members are younger and/or childless. But for those of us who are a bit older and have kids, I thought it would be cool to talk about the games you play with your kids. I've got two children, both under the age of 5, and I play videogames regularly with them.

Super Mario Galaxy, aside from being an almost perfect game in its own right, is the current favorite of my kids. The second player control, which can be used for collecting star bits and stunning enemies, is a fantastic mechanic for younger kids- it doesn't require the sort of fine motor skills that make precise control difficult for the 3-5 year set.

And not to mention the fact that SMG is colorful and joyous in its presentation, which is immediately captivating for children. Funny how Mario, the character that gives me some of my fondest childhood memories, still has the power to delight kids today. The game is almost entirely visual, and the expressed premise of each level is clearly understood to pre-literate kids. Even though the construction and internal logic of each level may be nonsensical and silly, my kids intuitively grasp the concepts in play.

Most "kids' games" are generally terrible, but with SMG we have a game that appeals to both my kids' sense of play and my own more sophisticated appreciation for level design, mechanics, and skill.

What games do you regularly play with your kids?

Avatar image for deactivated-5b3f096aee80a
deactivated-5b3f096aee80a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I am not a father but I will be an uncle soon. :P

I played with a lot of my young cousins and they absolutely LOVE PSN games like Pain and PJ Monsters, it was so nice to see them all laughing their asses off at Pain lol. And they dig anything with the PS Eye.