#GamerGate donates to anti-bullying charity.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

promanari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By promanari

https://www.crowdrise.com/GamerGateStompsOutBullying/fundraiser/loping

This is the link, you can donate as well if you want. Preventing or trying to prevent bullying is something we all should strive for.

I'm really wondering however why no major news outlet is reporting this?

Is this going against the narrative that GamerGate is filled with hate-mongers, harassers and bullies?

Anyway, have fun and spread the word :)

For a healthy, friendly industry free of corruption and hate!

Remember to be civil in this thread, you wouldn't want this puppy to be sad, would you?

No Caption Provided

Wilshere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Wilshere

Where else did they donate? I know about the TFYC.

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Any opinions on GamerGate aside, donating to charity is great and more people should do it.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

@wilshere: There was a small thing going for providing fresh fruit for 3rd world counties. Brianna Wu mistweeted the Twitter account of a fruit vendor, or something, who knew nothing of GamerGate but then "supported" it. As kind of a joke, they talked about providing fruit and then an actual charity thing started for it; its only raised $489.00 so far

https://www.crowdrise.com/gamerfruit/fundraiser/loping

Aishan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Aishan

I'm curious, do you know why they started this donation drive? And when?

SleazyWizard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Doesn't change my views on GG but that's good.

SubwayD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

It's all well and good, but still smacks more of trying to control the message than an actual good deed.

boboblaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aishan: They started it some time last week because some douchebags that work for Gawker Media wanted to bring back bullying against nerds because gamers are nerds yo.

This was all on anti bullying day too and the dipshits who sent the tweets have been pretty widely condemned from both sides. There's an image of the tweets floating around that aren't too hard to find if you want to specifically know what was said.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Gaters gonna donate.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13  Edited By BabyChooChoo

The tragic thing is no notable gaming site is gonna cover this because every notable gaming site is already entrenched on one side. You could just as easily paint this as a group of people being bullied trying to stand up against bullying, but no doubt most people will brush it off as a PR stunt...

At its core, politics is about competing narratives.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wait so gamergate is actually somesort of official group now instead of some random internet kids with nothing better to do than fight the fake injustice of this world?

This just got sadder.

Seriously, I didn't expect I would be turning into an old man in regards to the gaming culture and the internet so soon but fuck this everything is multiplying in retardedness exponentially.

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@subwayd said:

It's all well and good, but still smacks more of trying to control the message than an actual good deed.

Levius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you are donating to charity, it should simply be to help people not to garner publicity for a movement. It shouldn't matter if it's covered on news sites.

Aishan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@boboblaw said:

@aishan: They started it some time last week because some douchebags that work for Gawker Media wanted to bring back bullying against nerds because gamers are nerds yo.

This was all on anti bullying day too and the dipshits who sent the tweets have been pretty widely condemned from both sides. There's an image of the tweets floating around that aren't too hard to find if you want to specifically know what was said.

So it started because in this case it was something their perceived enemy (Gawker) did to them. Why did nothing happen in the weeks proceeding where widespread abuse has been hurled in the other direction?

I don't decry any movement to raise money for good causes, but the timing does come across as opportunism to win PR points.

pimpsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By pimpsandwich

Y'know, when a large amount of people in a movement decide they need to donate to a charity in order to improve their public image and publicly gloat about it, donating to charity doesn't mean shit. They're not doing it out of benevolence, they're doing it as a PR stunt. Fuck GamerGate, seriously.

boboblaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By boboblaw

@aishan: I think there has been outcry from most of gamergate against the harassment. But really it's probably because they don't give a shit what happens to the "enemy".

Your absolutely right though part of it was probably to win PR points and the other part to go against Gawker Media tweets.

Also I'm not apart of gamergate(or anti gamergate) so I'll never truly know their intentions, this post is mostly guesswork

hoodcommando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By hoodcommando

Whatever the case may be, good on them for donating. For PR or not, it's a good cause being helped.

Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#21  Edited By Mcfart

Can the term "Gamergate" be banned from the Internet please?

Avatar image for anonymous_jesse
Anonymous_Jesse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Does GG have a leader? How does stuff like this happen?

forevernet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Doesn't change my views on GG but that's good.

yeah, this exactly

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#25  Edited By geirr

This probably isn't even relevant, but #gatorgate always comes to mind when I see mentions of this stuff.

No Caption Provided

ottoman673

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ottoman673

Cool, they donated money.

I donate money to causes often and don't expect to be praised for it, it's just a thing people do and should do out of humility and kindness, not "hey look at us we did a thing~!"

themangalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By themangalist

Im sorry. A group that was connected to the recent cyber bullying events donating to anti-bullying charities is somehing only click bait sites would report on. There is no conspiracy, no one really wants to talk to/about the people who identify with GamerGate no more.

erhard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That is pathetic. You're not giving away money, you're buying good PR.

amafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@erhard said:

That is pathetic. You're not giving away money, you're buying good PR.

I think it started mainly to spite the person who started a whole twitter thing to "bring bullying back". I believe Jeff mentioned that person indirectly in the letter he posted.

Avatar image for purpleeggshells
purpleeggshells

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

I really think the people who are actually trying to change the games journalism media, and confront the ethical issues which may be too commonplace should be breaking away from #gamergate and instead fronting the campaign with a different title.

#Gamergate is just too far into threats, both real and imaginary, generic hostilities from both sides and making themselves so not about games ethics it is sad that people are still trying to push it in the right direction. I don't think donating to charity to try and save face is helping anybody at this point, except the charity of course.

Sometimes you've just gotta abandon ship. Side note - donate to charity guys.

amafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By amafi

I really think the people who are actually trying to change the games journalism media, and confront the ethical issues which may be too commonplace should be breaking away from #gamergate and instead fronting the campaign with a different title.

#Gamergate is just too far into threats, both real and imaginary, generic hostilities from both sides and making themselves so not about games ethics it is sad that people are still trying to push it in the right direction. I don't think donating to charity to try and save face is helping anybody at this point, except the charity of course.

Sometimes you've just gotta abandon ship. Side note - donate to charity guys.

Wouldn't make a difference. Firstly, people would just say it's the same people and same agenda with a fresh coat of paint, and secondly, there's nothing stopping the same people making threats now continuing on their merry way claiming to represent whatever the hell else they call it. Catch 22.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@erhard: Are you new to this planet? All non-anonymous charitable donations are PR exercises to some extent. GamerGate aren't unique in this; most organisations make sure their name is all over the coverage whenever they do anything for charity.

The Humble Bundle business model for instance is founded on this exact principle, is making huge profits out of the charitable association and everyone loves them for it.

People will be angry about this because of who's doing it, not because of what they're doing. Everyone does what they're doing.

chimpchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I support gamergate and I support this charity work. Anti-gamergate people and sites have been involved in bullying too, and unwarranted legal action against TFYC and censorship and doxxing, but they don't contribute to this, they just attack more. Why is giantbomb and CBS siding with that group of people?

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

this thread is gonna go great....

do I really need to start this with "donating to charity is great but"?

its a blatant PR stunt so when someone gets attacked they can say "But we donated to anti bullying!" its like nestle donating to an african aid. it doesn't change the fact of what they did there.

If you want to give money to a good charity don't give it through hate group channels.

Avatar image for planetfunksquad
planetfunksquad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By planetfunksquad

@jimbo: What they're doing is a combination of spite and trying to buy good PR. And they wonder why no-one is taking the bait.

amafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To be fair, I think spiting the particular individual that set this thing off is a fine thing to do, and if it can do some good as a side effect then that's even better. The way that guy acted was shameful and disgusting.

Jazz_Lafayette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#37  Edited By Jazz_Lafayette

@jimbo: Everything I've heard from the mouths (fingers?) of Gatists themselves suggested to me that they strongly rejected the idea of more a formal organization. A number of individuals making publicity under a single, social media-driven banner head strikes me as less an automatic assumption and more "Oh, jeez, this looks a little weird, guys."

I mean it looks weird when corporations do it, too, but you get what I'm saying.

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the stubbornness of some dispite damning evidence to stick with this "movement" is depressing.

Wilshere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Y'know, when a large amount of people in a movement decide they need to donate to a charity in order to improve their public image and publicly gloat about it, donating to charity doesn't mean shit. They're not doing it out of benevolence, they're doing it as a PR stunt. Fuck GamerGate, seriously.

You can only prove your good intentions by acting on them. Otherwise its just words.

siln

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I believe this is what we call a "briar-patching".

Please, please don't donate your money to charity. It's the one weakness of the anti-gamergate Illuminati. They whisper in terror about the possibility of it happening at their clandestine meetings inside their volcano-lair.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you donate money and your first thought is "why aren't more people talking about how I donated money?", then you're probably doing it for the wrong reason.

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@milkman said:

If you donate money and your first thought is "why aren't more people talking about how I donated money?", then you're probably doing it for the wrong reason.

Yep. Good on people for donating money, but don't think this will change people's opinion on the "movement". That's not how things works, the problem is harassment that's still taking place and no amount of charity donations is gonna change that.

Carryboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

It doesnt matter the reason and politics behind the donation to me, I couldnt care less.

All that matters is a good charity is getting some money that can be put to use to help change someones life for the better for many a time longer then this current debacle will go on for.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#44  Edited By Evilsbane

@chimpchamp said:

Why is giantbomb and CBS siding with that group of people?

I don't know..the two months of attacking people on twitter, people being run out their homes, spreading lies and disinformation, death threats take your pick.

I would love to know when you thought GiantBomb has bullied anyone.

Also, make stances and decisions for yourself you don't need to support some vague anonymous group to grow a message. Drop the noble intentions stop supporting a group that has clearly shown "journalism" isn't their focus anymore if it ever was.

Mento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 212

#45  Edited By Mento  Moderator

We are presently consolidating all GamerGate talk to the "Letter from the Editor discussion" thread. It is currently locked, but should be open later today (I wanna say around noon PST/8pm UK time, like yesterday) when Rorie is around to take questions. Until then I'd ask that no-one start any threads like this, because anything GamerGate is a hot button topic that could very easy slide into disruptive and vitriolic outbursts from supporters and detractors alike without supervision. You are absolutely free to bring up their charity work and this anti-bullying campaign once that thread reopens, if you still feel like this hashtag coalition of largely well-meaning duders is worth arguing for despite its noxious history and origin.

Personally, I'm still waiting for TB and Boogie and all the other GG ringleaders that don't suck to come up with a new hashtag. They could get the word out to thousands pretty quickly via their YouTube channels, and the compassionate folk still holding the GamerGate banner would be happy to abandon it for something better (and less of a shitty pun thought up by a right-wing actor who doesn't play video games) to rally behind. Knowing how the internet works, it'll probably end up being "#GamerGate2.0".