xxxxxxxrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By xxxxxxxrick

Games are expensive. To buy I mean.
With the recession thing going on, people have less hard earned cash to spend.
I think reviewers should take that in consideration.
Is a game worth buying? Is there enough replayablility?
ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By ArchScabby

then don't buy them....

Avatar image for deactivated-5b3f096aee80a
deactivated-5b3f096aee80a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

No I don't think they should take that into consideration, because every mans budget differs, so for them to say 'its worth the money to X degree' would not apply to everyone. Hell, they get their games for free anyways.

Games are not too expensive IMO, they are well priced. Look what you are getting in some of these games, its huge.

serbsta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By serbsta

Are you talking about Australian prices? If you are then yeh youre right, its ridiculous at the moment, new releases cost $100 for PC and $120 for consoles, with collectors editions hitting past $140.

hazelnutman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By hazelnutman

You mean they should be allowed to demerit a game because of its price?

Fail.

Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Demyx

No, reviewers shouldn't do that.
it sucks, but oh well.

DXSSI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By DXSSI

Actually, price is oftentimes a factor in the review text, but not the review score.  This is because you can (arguably) compare games directly with a quick glance at the scores, but cannot do so with written text.  If scores were shifted up or down based on price, you would have budget titles looking like awesome games, and big-budget titles looking like crap, when it's usually just the opposite.

In the review text, a good reviewer will usually note if the title is discounted in any way, or has a steep entry price (say, due to a peripheral bundled with it), and then assesses whether or not the game is worth the entry price.  Things like replayability and whether it's worth buying are always, always addressed in a review.  What, exactly, is the complaint here?

Avatar image for origina1penguin
Origina1Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Origina1Penguin

I think (most) retail games are reasonably priced, considering development cost.

It could be an issue to judge the value of some games though, particularly downloaded console games (PSN, XBLA, etc).

Major

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Major

Wait a few months after its released and get it used on Ebay, Craigslist, Amazon, or Gamestop for half as much. There's also a ton of cheap games on Steam, PSN, XBLA, WiiWare
I don't see a problem with the pricing considering you can avoid paying full cost.

Avatar image for deactivated-58e52f575435f
deactivated-58e52f575435f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I rarely buy games when they just come out, I usually wait awhile, if I need to play it now so that my friends dont spoil it for me I rent it and buy at a lower price down the road.

Mushir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Mushir

Here in Norway most new games cost around 500 - 550 kr which is 92$ - 101$. That is a lot more than what people in USA are paying for games.

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By brukaoru

Games aren't as much as they used to be years ago. "While most PlayStation games rarely exceeded $50, N64 titles could reach $79.99" (Wikipedia) That was before all these limited editions with extra stuff... So right now, the price of games are not as bad as some people make it seem. Plus in other countries, a single game will retail for about $100... I'd say right now we have it pretty easy. I would recommend saving your money, buying what games you "must have," and either wait for price drops or buy other games you want used.

HitNRun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By HitNRun

Reviewers do take price into an account, to an extent.

You better believe that your average XBLA title wouldn't get the scores it does if it cost $59.99 (ignoring the whole Braid/quality/$15 discussion for the sake of sanity). That works in reverse, too.

xruntime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#14  Edited By xruntime

Isn't this the guy who said piracy is good?

HitNRun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By HitNRun
brukaoru said:
"Games aren't as much as they used to be years ago. "While most PlayStation games rarely exceeded $50, N64 titles could reach $79.99" (Wikipedia)
Yeah, I just read that a few days ago. It's a load of horseshit. Or, more accurately, a load of wikipedia. I payed $59.99 for a couple premier 3rd-party N64 titles, the rest were $49.99. Furthermore, there was an entire generation after that one (PS2, Gamecube) where games were 40 and (more often) 50 dollars. (I never owned the original Xbox.)

You're right about other countries, though. Games are cheaper here.
warchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By warchief
DualReaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By DualReaver

In Canada it's $40-$50 dollars for new PC games, which is fine by me.
The console games I think are a tad too expensive though being $70-$80 dollars, I'd like to see them be the same price as PC games.

Blu_Magic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Blu_Magic

I agree $60 is expensive for games but it takes me 2-3 weeks to save up for one so it's not that big of a deal.

warchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By warchief
xruntime said:
"Isn't this the guy who said piracy is good?

"
yup its the same duchebag. 
Hexproof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Hexproof
Rick said:
"
Is a game worth buying? Is there enough replayablility?"
Some Reviewers have that on some of their reviews, called  Value.
And I strongly Agree that today's brand new games are too expensive. I could barely keep up with the $49.99 games last gen.
KillerFly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 33

#21  Edited By KillerFly

I think gamers already take this into account themselves.  How many of us refuse to buy a game unless it gets 8s or higher across the board, maybe even 9s or higher?

Blu_Magic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Blu_Magic
KillerFly said:
"I think gamers already take this into account themselves.  How many of us refuse to buy a game unless it gets 8s or higher across the board, maybe even 9s or higher?"
I do that sometimes. If a game I've been looking forward to gets a 7 and another game i've also been looking forward to gets a 9, I'd get the latter.
brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By brukaoru
HitNRun said:
"Yeah, I just read that a few days ago. It's a load of horseshit. Or, more accurately, a load of wikipedia. I payed $59.99 for a couple premier 3rd-party N64 titles, the rest were $49.99. Furthermore, there was an entire generation after that one (PS2, Gamecube) where games were 40 and (more often) 50 dollars. (I never owned the original Xbox.)

You're right about other countries, though. Games are cheaper here."
Actually, I have a few friends who have said that prices for Atari games back in the day went for about $70. I also have heard from numerous sources that the Super Man game for the N64 did retail for about $70. It may have been just a few N64 games, but a few of them did exceed $60 according to multiple sources. Also, I found this article of console prices, which is pretty interesting to see as it compares absolute prices to inflation prices, (it's not prices of games themselves but it relates.)
KillerFly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By KillerFly

A 6 or a 7 isn't really that bad of a score, but because we're talking about putting our 60 bucks down for these things, most gamers won't pay for a "pretty good" or an "okay" game.

Same goes for Giant Bomb.  A game that gets 3 stars isn't bad, but most people won't consider buying a game unless they see it gets 4 or 5 stars.

Jordan23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Jordan23

Gaming itself is too expensive, I try to focus mainly on the heavy hitters of gaming.

KillerFly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By KillerFly
Jordan23 said:
"Gaming itself is too expensive, I try to focus mainly on the heavy hitters of gaming."
A lot of us do that, and that's how we miss out.  There could be a game that one of us would love, but we never play it because critics don't like it and it doesn't get a lot of word-of-mouth.
Blu_Magic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Blu_Magic
KillerFly said:
"Jordan23 said:
"Gaming itself is too expensive, I try to focus mainly on the heavy hitters of gaming."
A lot of us do that, and that's how we miss out.  There could be a game that one of us would love, but we never play it because critics don't like it and it doesn't get a lot of word-of-mouth."
Yeah I missed out on a couple of games last holiday season ( during that whole rush of new games) because I didn't have much money. I still haven't played Mass Effect yet. =(
Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#28  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor

Yeah, the prices are high, but the used markets have the games cheap after awhile. I just buy them when they get down into the $40-ish price range or lower.  I just got Lost Odyssey for about $35.

DualReaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By DualReaver
Blu_Magic said:
"KillerFly said:
"Jordan23 said:
A lot of us do that, and that's how we miss out.  There could be a game that one of us would love, but we never play it because critics don't like it and it doesn't get a lot of word-of-mouth."
Yeah I missed out on a couple of games last holiday season ( during that whole rush of new games) because I didn't have much money. I still haven't played Mass Effect yet. =("
This is why I rarely buy Console games unless I really like them, usually just a rent play/beat them.
And I'm done with the game.
Colonel_Cool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Colonel_Cool

There are only a few games that I would say are actually worth the $50 price tag. Unless it's a game that I really want, I will just wait for the price to drop (which usually happens fairly quickly with PC games).

BiffMcBlumpkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By BiffMcBlumpkin

Save up and buy a gun, then you can get all of your games for free.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow, I never looked at it like that.... Thanks for the tip!!

Jordan23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Jordan23
KillerFly said:
"Jordan23 said:
Good point. One game for sure that I can't miss out on is  Little Big Planet. This game is going to be spectacular and most of the gaming community is excited as well.

Check out this podcast... 1UP Yours Podcast
AndrewGaspar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#34  Edited By AndrewGaspar

I feel that reviewers do take that into consideration. For example, Braid was knocked a lot for being $15. If most XBLM or PSN games were priced at retail value, they would be scored much lower. That's why you don't see games on WiiWare or PSN or whatever being rated extremely low. It's because the price matches the amount of game you're getting. Since all retail games are priced at $60, then they don't really have to factor that in, because it is a constant.

Iraqi_Gangster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Iraqi_Gangster

A single next-gen game costs 100$ in ME.

xruntime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#36  Edited By xruntime
KillerFly said:
"Jordan23 said:

Oh well, there are so many things in life you're going to miss out on. The heavy hitters are generally your best bets for a good gaming experience.
PharoahCapcom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By PharoahCapcom

GET A DAMN JOB!

Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Demyx
KillerFly said:
"I think gamers already take this into account themselves.  How many of us refuse to buy a game unless it gets 8s or higher across the board, maybe even 9s or higher?"
for the most part I stick with franchises or certain developers. And then I will only get new games after they've been out for a while, or if a holiday comes up.
samcotts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By samcotts

Definitely not.

Look at it this way, think of the cost of DVD's, around a fourth of the price of games, and your average game lasts a lot longer then four times the length of your average movie, and definitely offers a lot more entertainment.

At the end of the day, the more money we give to the games industry, the better the games will get.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By crunchUK

just wait foreveything to go cheap unles you REALLY want it

Dan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#41  Edited By Dan

Bionic Commando: Rearmed was like, £5. Games have always been expensive, if anything they're getting cheaper. Not just downloadable titles, but full retail titles too. And they're much, much cheaper when you consider inflation.

I guess my answer is, if you think games are too expensive today, you'll just have to buy them second hand or buy downloadable titles.

Disgaeamad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Disgaeamad

Games are definitely not expensive. Think of the massive production values, and the fact that if even one game bombs, a company can be put of business for good.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jordan23 said:
"KillerFly said:
"Jordan23 said:
Good point. One game for sure that I can't miss out on is  Little Big Planet. This game is going to be spectacular and most of the gaming community is excited as well.

Check out this podcast... 1UP Yours Podcast"
Yeah, that podcast alone should get people excited, lol!

Disgaeamad said:
"Games are definitely not expensive. Think of the massive production values, and the fact that if even one game bombs, a company can be put of business for good."

I agree, it's a huge risk as well.
hazelnutman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By hazelnutman
BiffMcBlumpkin said:
"Save up and buy a gun, then you can get all of your games for free."
Seriously, everything this guy says is pure gold. XD
SamChamploo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By SamChamploo
I don't know if anybody remembers the publisher Working Desigh their were the ones who publish games like Alundra and the Lunar series, in the PSone days they charge like 60$ for their games but you where getting more than just a good game, you were getting a buch of stuff like a hardbound manuel a map of the game world and some other stuff, 60$ back in those days was pretty crazy but whats more crazy is thats what were paying for today, and all your getting is just the game, though granted games like Gears of War is worth 60$ on its own, but even the creator of the game Cliffy B. has said games should be 20$
mandeponium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By mandeponium

You're right! We need the government to give financial aid to people who can't afford games!

vitriolboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By vitriolboy

You can get everything off the internet for free

OGCartman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#48  Edited By OGCartman
Rick said:
"
Is a game worth buying? Is there enough replayablility?"
Well the thing is, the more money the make, the more people they can hire and the better technology they can put in their next game, therefor giving us all a better game. An extra 5$ might not mean much to us but if a game sells 1 milion copies, thats 5 million fucking dollars!! Dude, $70 for a game? I work 6 hours (im a teen) and i get a game a can play for over a year and have a shitload of fun with.

Game reviewers should NOT take that into consideration. It is important to a certain degree and if a game has ALOT of replayablity like the warcraft games, battlefield 2, Sins of a Solar Empire, etc they should mension it. But by rating a game on price and replayablity is horible imo.
Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#49  Edited By Meowayne

Game prices in the US <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<game prices in the rest of the world

Also, what the hell? Do you collect games? Do you get off of having shelves full of games you don't actually play, and never will, ever again? Buy games, play em till they aren't fun anymore, then sell them. Otherwise videogaming is just ridiculously expensive.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Actually I collect games lol. I buy any game that is worth playing in my opinion. Games are like a collection to me, of ok-good ones that is. ;P