Games for Windows LIVE. Is this thing alive?

Ugundar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I bought Batman: Arkham City (PC) one day and felt in a mood of replaying some days ago, but whatever I do, i struggle with Windows LIVE.
Wasn't able to find out what to do, called to Microsoft but noone answered eventually.
I can download the client, but I can not restore my password or create a new one too.
Maybe I was in a sleep for too long and there is some solution I am not aware about?
Any help will be appreciated.

Shivoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Shivoa

The password should be in-sync with your Microsoft Account (which is also your Xbox Live account) so if you use those tools to recover your password there it should let you log in to the GfWL client on your PC.

Now, if you can actually get their CDN to serve you the downloads to install the game... I did not have any luck with that a couple of months ago (and the number of companies who patched their games to use Steam rather than GfWL makes me think they may have been told all the servers are going offline one day - including the DRM servers that authenticate your install and let you actually play the game you purchased).

I think it's important to remember how MS are treating those purchases when we think about the quality and longevity of their current Windows 10 Store game purchases. If they're actually renting us the games (Steam have 12 years of honouring every purchase made with providing downloads, GOG make the download DRM free so it just works and as long as you've got the installer then you own the game, even Origin [caveat: EA Download Manager and buying "insurance" to enable downloads to continue to work after over 12 months so EA are far from free of sin] and uPlay are starting to build up a history of not just wiping everyone's purchases and pretending they didn't just effectively steal everyone's games collection who was giving them a 30% cut of every sale to ensure that didn't happen) then the prices should reflect that lesser value vs titles purchased on other PC stores.

Ugundar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Ugundar

@shivoa: thanks for your reply.

I choose the recover password option there and it simply gives me an error. That's how I lost a game, it seems...

You are totally right about the quality of such puchases. That's why I am buying games only on Steam now.

Had to buy Batman again, thanks to Gabe there were good sales out there.

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Well I can't play Virtua Tennis 4 on PC (bought through Steam) so I guess not?

Still furious about this btw, I woke up really wanting to play a tennis game and reinstalled it only to get an error screen :'(