Games For Windows Live Sucks

Scorched

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Scorched

Games for Windows live has to be the biggest failure Microsoft has every made.  It sucks, I hate using it, steam kicks it's ass.  But I have to go to it to get Operation Anchorage for Fallout 3.  So I go to the gfw live marketplace after downloading a patch to see a big add for operation anchorage.  Hey! that's just what I'm looking for.  I click on it and get an error discovering that the content isn't even in the marketplace yet.  And overall I hate the whole games for windows live experience, they've made the interface better but if I want a console experience I'll go take out my 360, but when I'm on my PC, I want to do it the PC way, not have to go through some dumb service to get my content.

Anyone else experiencing similar problems?

ParanoidFreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By ParanoidFreak

I don't mind it, I like being able to see what my friends are doing on Xbox Live. Steam is definitely better though, but if Steam wants mainstream success they need to change there look, Steam is ass ugly as of right now.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#3  Edited By LordAndrew

You know what's awesome? Dawn of War II. Buy the game and you have to install Games for Windows Live and Steam. Brilliant! I can imagine that's going to drive people absolutely crazy.

Scorched

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Scorched

I agree that I like the connection to my live friends but the system is just a pain to use.  I don't think steam looks bad, maybe I'm just used to it though, been using it forever.

I got Dawn of War 2 beta, I share the same thoughts as you.  I was kind of confused seeing the combination of GFWL and steam

Lunarbunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Lunarbunny

Steam I like the aesthetic of. And that's not just brown-nosing. Maybe I'm just hardcore PC geek.

GFWL is trying to be the XBL experience on PC, but there are some aspects of XBL (matchmaking, player hosting) that I really don't care for. Plus it's so disjointed. Deep trees makes sense for consoles, where every choice currently on screen is another that has to be scrolled through, but on PC going through three menu levels (with transitions!) just to invite a friend to a private VoIP chat is ridiculous. Plus the out-of-game client (which doesn't even like to announce its existence, it just kind of hides in a GFWL folder in Program Files) doesn't even let you manage friends! Right now all it seems to be is some sort of advertising vehicle/achievement viewer.

Steam and XFire have the in-game idea right. Windowing thrives in personal computing for a reason, why get rid of it inside the game? Of course window management is at the Windows 3.1 level right now, but it probably won't be long before they add their own taskbar or dock.

keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By keyhunter

I've racked up several thousand points on Games for  Windows Live.

WOrks for me.

wrecks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#7  Edited By wrecks

I dig it. PC points rule.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

I've had no problems with GFW its free now any ways so thats what people like ya all want freeeeeeeee.

zityz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By zityz

Know what would make Games for windows live better? being able to play with people on xbox live. Only game I think that does was shad..... sorry *ahem* that shitfest teambased game named after the shadowrun franchise.

Damn it, now I have an urge to play the snes shadowrun... BAH!

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By pause422

"Games For Windows Live Sucks"

Welcome to 2 years ago.

Scorched

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Scorched

sure I like the points, but the service sucks
and PC gamers shouldn't have to pay for an online service because we have always been able to play our games online for free, paying for a sucky service doesn't make since
well I guess I should change topic to "games for windows live still sucks"
I know it has always sucked but since they're making me use it now I'm complaining

Josef_Nastra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By Josef_Nastra

I like the points but yes it should be an alternative and not a must.

Discorsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By Discorsi

"insert something here" sucks threads suck

breton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By breton

It's upsetting when the people that like it only do so because it has xbox points and xbox friends.... That's not what I'm looking for in a PC client.

Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Hexpane

GFWL sucks a lot of dirty dicks, MS just fired the head guy and gave it to someone new and made it free at least.  PennyArcade nails it when they mentioned that the phrase "Games For Windows Live" just seems like a bunch of words that don't even belong together.  Like everything MS does they just steal ideas and cobble them together quickly w/ overpaid consultants selling mass marketing bullshit names like XBOX and 360 or LIVE... but racist rednecks eat this shit up

Bullet_Jr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Bullet_Jr
Scorched said:
"Games for Windows live has to be the biggest failure Microsoft has every made.  
Slow down. That's a pretty bold and hefty statement.

Microsoft has many failures to choose from.
Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Hexpane
Bullet_Jr said:
"Scorched said:

Microsoft has many failures to choose from."
Windows ME, WebTV, Shadowrun, Fable, Zune, J. Allard... the list goes on and on.

The sad fact is nobody has the money or the desire anymore to compete w/ MS, so they get bored and decide to compete w/ companies that work on shit they suck at like MP3 players, making hardware etc...

Back in the day MS made some of the best games on a PC, now they do nothing but buy up developers, force them to release shitty games, cancel the developer and then spend their time on CASUAL GARBAGE games

Bullet_Jr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Bullet_Jr
Hexpane said:
"Bullet_Jr said:
"Scorched said:

Windows ME, WebTV, Shadowrun, Fable, Zune, J. Allard... the list goes on and on.

The sad fact is nobody has the money or the desire anymore to compete w/ MS, so they get bored and decide to compete w/ companies that work on shit they suck at like MP3 players, making hardware etc...

Back in the day MS made some of the best games on a PC, now they do nothing but buy up developers, force them to release shitty games, cancel the developer and then spend their time on CASUAL GARBAGE games

"
It's a shame, it really is. Quality is the only thing that makes life worth living.

I no longer support MS and if I am forced to use their products, I don't pay for them (so sue me).
LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#19  Edited By LordAndrew
Bullet_Jr said:
"It's a shame, it really is. Quality is the only thing that makes life worth living.

I no longer support MS and if I am forced to use their products, I don't pay for them (so sue me)."
You're never forced to. There are plenty of alternatives, although Microsoft doesn't exactly publicize them for obvious reasons.
Bullet_Jr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Bullet_Jr
LordAndrew said:
"Bullet_Jr said:
"It's a shame, it really is. Quality is the only thing that makes life worth living.

I no longer support MS and if I am forced to use their products, I don't pay for them (so sue me)."
You're never forced to. There are plenty of alternatives, although Microsoft doesn't exactly publicize them for obvious reasons."
I hear you. I'm well aware of the alternatives, which is why I'm now a Linux man as opposed to an XP user.

I weighed the pros and cons and I realized that I would rather not pay for something I can get for free. Go figure.

Also, Xbox Live is a scam. Online gaming  has been free for years. Who the fuck do they think they are?!
Scorched

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Scorched
Bullet_Jr said:
"Scorched said:

true

LordAndrew said:
"Bullet_Jr said:

You're never forced to. There are plenty of alternatives, although Microsoft doesn't exactly publicize them for obvious reasons."
well for PC gaming you're pretty much forced to use Microsoft applications.  I don't have a problem with their OS's though.  It's just their unnecessary live system.
Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Hexpane
Scorched said:
"Bullet_Jr said:
"Scorched said:

true

LordAndrew said:
"Bullet_Jr said:

well for PC gaming you're pretty much forced to use Microsoft applications.  I don't have a problem with their OS's though.  It's just their unnecessary live system.
"
Its a de-facto monopoly that the USA government gives a free pass to because our government is in love w/ giant monopolies that pretend they are not.  Maybe Obama will change this but I doubt it, I suspect more mergers and illegal price fixing and rape prices from players like Microsoft, Comcast, ClearChannel, CoxCommunications etc... it's a giant butt fuck. 
Scorched

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Scorched

well I figured out why I can't get the DLC
I'm 16 instead of the required age of 18
I don't understand these restrictions.  I purchased the game and have played through it.  Why would they restrict the DLC???  Kids who don't own the game won't have access to the DLC anyway.  That has to be the most ridiculous restriction I've ever seen.  They're just throwing away money.

Avatar image for d4v3d0ntg1v4fuk
D4V3D0NTG1V4FUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By D4V3D0NTG1V4FUK

I'm Sorry I've not  realy read any posts but this came up when i put windows live is bullshit into google, i just got another game FUEL on Steam and it requires more bullshit  then is beliveable to play why the  fuck do i need to use windows live there a bunch of monopolistic (probly spelt wrong i am dyslexic oh and i dont giv a shit also so in advance dont bother correcting , this is not school or a spelling competition its an internet forum , Just in Case btw)  ..cunts WTF seriously mother fuckers i payed for the game installed it enter a CD key even though it's purchased online and assighned to my account anyway and they disable saving the game if i dont want to sighn in to windows live. I got GTA IV  @ Chistmas on sale and unistalled it because i refuse to go through the bvullshit to p-lay it i have to sighn into two diffrent things and have the disk in the drive if the worlds goin in this direction i'm seriously gona end up in psychiatric care / prison / terrorist or maybe not but why dont they just fuck off. I payed for the game and they fuck you about like they own you. They  are getting people well trained i wont be playing this  game either they can fuck off they need a warning on thease things i havce no interest in being a member of anything i just wanted to play the game for a little entertainment.
Oh off topic but WTF is going on with the steady increase in covert tracking cookies and adds like b4 videos i have made and uploaded  so i can share them with people yeah i understand there are hosting costs but's all treated like a cash cow it all pisses me off no-end.
Sorry if any of this offends anyone it's not it's intended purpose it's just me using the internet for what it should be for spreading Knowledge , Opinions and Connecting People Not Robbong Them An shoveling shit.

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#25  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

Works fine for me. There was one instance when Batman: AA would not update automatically therefore not letting me play the damn game. I had to eventually find the patch on my own and install it. Welcome to PC gaming at its finest.

It was pretty funny when they originally tried to charge us for it though...

Shanon78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Shanon78

@Scorched: God I HATE Games for windows live with an unbridled passion. I vow never to buy another PC game that requires this shit to run, save games, download DLC or anything else. I recently acquired Batman Arkham Asylum and Arkham City through Steam. It was a bundle for under 30 bucks and came with all the DLC. Everything was fine till I decided to download the DLC then came the kicker. GAMES FOR WINDOWS LIVE required to download DLC. Wouldn't sign in, Tried their whole "uninstall/reinstall" bullshit.

This isn't the first time I've had issues with GFWL, the other fun issue was Red Faction Guerrilla. It had been some time since I played Red Faction, so I decided to fire it up. Came to find out that the username and password I had tied to that game mysteriously vanished. No such user or account name found. AWESOME! Can't save. So there goes 50 bucks worth of useless game. But, it's not over yet. Dead Rising 2, had this tied to that same account. Yep, can't save progress with that either. So in the end thanks to this GFWL bullshit I a couple of useless games. Oh and not to mention DLC that I can't download.

Along with that "missing account" were 4 DLC packs for Fallout 3. It just keeps getting better.

In a fantasy world, I really wish a class action law suit of some kind would come about where Microsoft suffered millions of dollars loss due to this bullshit. It's sad because there are some great games out there that are tied to the likes of this digital feces. Again, I cannot begin to put into words the pure RAGE, and HATRED I have for GFWL and the pukes that decided it was a great idea. Curses Microsoft, may your crotches be infested with the bites of a thousand fleas!

BonOrbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#27  Edited By BonOrbitz

@Shanon78: When I bought Bioshock 2 last year from Amazon, I downloaded and installed it on my secondary drive (E). Because it wasn't running off my C drive, GFWL wouldn't allow me to log in and thus couldn't save my progress as I played. I uninstalled it and reinstalled it on C then the problem was solved. It's too bad because my C drive is a SSD drive and I'd like to leave that clear for the OS and other programs.

To think that back in 05/06 they were planning on increasing PC gaming awareness and help the general masses' understanding of the platform with the GFWL movement. They can't get their shit right on their end, how the fuck do they expect to make it more approachable to the layman?

Avatar image for deactivated-61356eb4a76c8
deactivated-61356eb4a76c8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Necromancy is forbidden!

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#29  Edited By crusader8463

@Kaiserreich said:

Necromancy is forbidden!

Think this deserves an exception. It's kind of sad that this many years later, and who knows how many times Microsoft has claimed they were really serious about PC gaming this time, that they still have not fixed any of these issues and that GFWL is still a broken mess.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#30  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

@crusader8463 said:

@Kaiserreich said:

Necromancy is forbidden!

Think this deserves an exception. It's kind of sad that this many years later, and who knows how many times Microsoft has claimed they were really serious about PC gaming this time, that they still have not fixed any of these issues and that GFWL is still a broken mess.

Which is why we have Steam, and which is why this, need not have been bumped.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#31  Edited By crusader8463

@TheDudeOfGaming: Just shows that it's still an ongoing issue even years later. Don't see why all the hostility towards it being bumped is needed. If he just posted a " Ya GFWL suxzors" post instead of what he did I could see getting annoyed, but he took the time to write a good post.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By zeforgotten

I'm still waiting on my problems with Games for Windows Live.

Everyone's told me that it has so many problems and now I'm super hyped for them! .. nothing yet though.

Avatar image for deathstriker666
deathstriker666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By deathstriker666

How does this thread have over 10,000 views? Did someone just F5 a couple thousand times?

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By zeforgotten

@deathstriker666 said:

How does this thread have over 10,000 views? Did someone just F5 a couple thousand times?

'cough'posted'cough'january29th2009'cough'

viking_funeral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#35  Edited By viking_funeral

@TheDudeOfGaming: If you read the necro post, you would see, that he bought games through Steam, which required use of GFWL, and that he had, a well constructed post.

Another query, why are we, talking like this?

Avatar image for deathstriker666
deathstriker666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By deathstriker666

@ZeForgotten said:

@deathstriker666 said:

'cough'posted'cough'january29th2009'cough'

Well, found out the reason why

Avatar image for warlockengineermoredakka
WarlockEngineerMoreDakka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

@Kaiserreich said:

Necromancy is forbidden!

And its happened twice with this thread. >_>

The powers of GFWL's poor quality cannot be denied. :O

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#38  Edited By Karl_Boss

A lot of necro-posting has been going on lately.

Benpace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

*cries* I just wanted to shoot splicers.... an hour later I am still updating and re-updating gfwl.... really, I just wanted to shoot splicers....

benpicko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Kaiserreich said:

Necromancy is forbidden!

And its happened twice with this thread. >_>

The powers of GFWL's poor quality cannot be denied. :O

@benpace said:

*cries* I just wanted to shoot splicers.... an hour later I am still updating and re-updating gfwl.... really, I just wanted to shoot splicers....