Games, games and... more games!

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

Edited By Binman88

As the title suggests, this is a blog about video games. A bunch of them. I bought a PS3 near the end of October and since then I've bought a whole ton of games for it - probably too many. Just to demonstrate how many "too many" actually is, here's a photo of them plonked on my desk (a few new PC and DS games as well).

No Caption Provided
If you can't make them all out from that picture, here's a list of them: Dragon Age: Origins, Borderlands and Modern Warfare 2 for the PC, The World Ends With You and Devil Survivor for the DS, and Demon's Souls (Deluxe Edition), Ratchet and Clank Future: Tools of Destruction (bundle with PS3 controller) & A Crack in Time, Army of Two, inFAMOUS, Ninja Gaiden Sigma, Eternal Sonata, Battlefield Bad Company, Killzone 2, God of War Collection, MX vs ATV Reflex and Valkyria Chronicles.

I really like to finish a game, so I can put it on my shelf and forget about it, but that's rarely the case. See, I don't feel the need to complete a game before moving on to another but now and again I like to go back and tie up all the loose ends on games I've half-played. For example, I just finished Uncharted 2 two days ago (having got it with the PS3 in October), and I've gone back to playing Phantom Hourglass on the DS so I can finish it up before starting Spirit Tracks. I reckon I'll crack on to Devil Survivor first, of the two new DS games, though I have no idea how long each of those games are. I'll take a guess, being a Shin Megami Tensei game, it's probably going to require quite a bit of time. 

I still have to go back and finish up Chrono Trigger, Chinatown Wars and Henry Hatsworth on the DS. Well, maybe not HH, because, fuck that game. Maybe I'm getting old, but that game gets mad hard for me in the latter half. Also need to play FFXII: Revenant Wings - bought that months ago on sale and only played it for about five minutes.

Same kinda goes for Killzone 2. I'm a little over halfway through and getting really pissed off with the controls and AI. I'm not that great with a controller in FPS games, and the slow movement in KZ2 is really bugging the bejesus out of me when I'm trying to aim at dudes who, at a distance, seem smart enough to evade my reticule. I have to say though that I did really enjoy the earlier, more enclosed missions, getting up in the enemy's faces and mowing them down the SMG. So yeah, I like the game enough to want to finish it and get it out of the way, I just hate feeling like I'm trudging through it for the sake of it.

I also played a fair amount of Demon's Souls and really like it. It's lived up to the hype a lot of people have given that game, but man, the tone of that game is so damn depressing that I just had to take a break from it! Stopped playing it a few weeks ago, but can't wait to get back into it in the new year.

I actually only got the majority of those games this morning in the mail, so most of them I've yet to play. I tried a little bit of MX vs ATV Reflex and it seems pretty cool so far, but has one of the weirdest narrator/announcer voice over guys I've ever heard in a game - just the way he emphasizes random words and sounds like he's reading the script for the first time and isn't quite sure where the full stops and commas are going to appear.  I also downloaded the GoW 3 Demo using a voucher that came with the collection and absolutely loved it. For that reason I'll probably try burn through GoW 1 & 2 first, before any of the other games. Loved the Valkyria Chronicles demo, so I'm looking forward to playing that. As for Eternal Sonata, to be honest it was a bit of an impulse buy, but it looks interesting - if anyone can offer up any insight into the game, I'd appreciate hearing it!

As for the PC games above, I sank about 30 hours into Borderlands and then suddently got incredibly bored of it. I'll probably never finish my first playthrough, though I think I was actually on the final stretch when I stopped playing. Played over 100 hours of Dragon Age, completing nearly every side quest I could and I'm now about half way through the "Final Onslaught" before fighting the archdemon which I'll get round to doing before Christmas I hope! As for MW2, there are a lot of things I despise about that game, yet I keep playing it (I'm at level 58 or 59 I think). It's not really my kind of multiplayer FPS, CoD4 did a better job meeting my needs. The problems I have with it are the more camper-friendly and poorly designed maps (Underpass, Estate and Wasteland spring to mind), and the often-dreadful PC matchmaking system.

So there you have it, please accept my apologies for the somewhat dull wall of text :P If you have any opinions or experiences you'd like to share on the game's I've bought, please post them!
Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Binman88

As the title suggests, this is a blog about video games. A bunch of them. I bought a PS3 near the end of October and since then I've bought a whole ton of games for it - probably too many. Just to demonstrate how many "too many" actually is, here's a photo of them plonked on my desk (a few new PC and DS games as well).

No Caption Provided
If you can't make them all out from that picture, here's a list of them: Dragon Age: Origins, Borderlands and Modern Warfare 2 for the PC, The World Ends With You and Devil Survivor for the DS, and Demon's Souls (Deluxe Edition), Ratchet and Clank Future: Tools of Destruction (bundle with PS3 controller) & A Crack in Time, Army of Two, inFAMOUS, Ninja Gaiden Sigma, Eternal Sonata, Battlefield Bad Company, Killzone 2, God of War Collection, MX vs ATV Reflex and Valkyria Chronicles.

I really like to finish a game, so I can put it on my shelf and forget about it, but that's rarely the case. See, I don't feel the need to complete a game before moving on to another but now and again I like to go back and tie up all the loose ends on games I've half-played. For example, I just finished Uncharted 2 two days ago (having got it with the PS3 in October), and I've gone back to playing Phantom Hourglass on the DS so I can finish it up before starting Spirit Tracks. I reckon I'll crack on to Devil Survivor first, of the two new DS games, though I have no idea how long each of those games are. I'll take a guess, being a Shin Megami Tensei game, it's probably going to require quite a bit of time. 

I still have to go back and finish up Chrono Trigger, Chinatown Wars and Henry Hatsworth on the DS. Well, maybe not HH, because, fuck that game. Maybe I'm getting old, but that game gets mad hard for me in the latter half. Also need to play FFXII: Revenant Wings - bought that months ago on sale and only played it for about five minutes.

Same kinda goes for Killzone 2. I'm a little over halfway through and getting really pissed off with the controls and AI. I'm not that great with a controller in FPS games, and the slow movement in KZ2 is really bugging the bejesus out of me when I'm trying to aim at dudes who, at a distance, seem smart enough to evade my reticule. I have to say though that I did really enjoy the earlier, more enclosed missions, getting up in the enemy's faces and mowing them down the SMG. So yeah, I like the game enough to want to finish it and get it out of the way, I just hate feeling like I'm trudging through it for the sake of it.

I also played a fair amount of Demon's Souls and really like it. It's lived up to the hype a lot of people have given that game, but man, the tone of that game is so damn depressing that I just had to take a break from it! Stopped playing it a few weeks ago, but can't wait to get back into it in the new year.

I actually only got the majority of those games this morning in the mail, so most of them I've yet to play. I tried a little bit of MX vs ATV Reflex and it seems pretty cool so far, but has one of the weirdest narrator/announcer voice over guys I've ever heard in a game - just the way he emphasizes random words and sounds like he's reading the script for the first time and isn't quite sure where the full stops and commas are going to appear.  I also downloaded the GoW 3 Demo using a voucher that came with the collection and absolutely loved it. For that reason I'll probably try burn through GoW 1 & 2 first, before any of the other games. Loved the Valkyria Chronicles demo, so I'm looking forward to playing that. As for Eternal Sonata, to be honest it was a bit of an impulse buy, but it looks interesting - if anyone can offer up any insight into the game, I'd appreciate hearing it!

As for the PC games above, I sank about 30 hours into Borderlands and then suddently got incredibly bored of it. I'll probably never finish my first playthrough, though I think I was actually on the final stretch when I stopped playing. Played over 100 hours of Dragon Age, completing nearly every side quest I could and I'm now about half way through the "Final Onslaught" before fighting the archdemon which I'll get round to doing before Christmas I hope! As for MW2, there are a lot of things I despise about that game, yet I keep playing it (I'm at level 58 or 59 I think). It's not really my kind of multiplayer FPS, CoD4 did a better job meeting my needs. The problems I have with it are the more camper-friendly and poorly designed maps (Underpass, Estate and Wasteland spring to mind), and the often-dreadful PC matchmaking system.

So there you have it, please accept my apologies for the somewhat dull wall of text :P If you have any opinions or experiences you'd like to share on the game's I've bought, please post them!
breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By breadfan

That sure is a lot of games.  I am currently playing Dragon Age: Origins and I love it.  By far my game of the year.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#3  Edited By Video_Game_King

Devil Survivor? You have just started an argument :P.

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Binman88
@Br3adfan said:
" That sure is a lot of games.  I am currently playing Dragon Age: Origins and I love it.  By far my game of the year. "
Just for the sheer amount of hours I've gotten out of DAO, I almost feel obliged to call it my game of the year :P
breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#5  Edited By breadfan
@Binman88 It sure does have a lot of game in it.  I do not want to think about how much more I have left in the game.
eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By eroticfishcake

You really like your PS3 by the looks of it. Good choice of platform for the DA:O though. While it's not bad on consoles I don't think it was really developed for them. I still have to get Demon's Souls but with the considering the rather high price it's going for (I'm poor mind you), I don't think I will be getting it for a while. The ironic thing about a job is that you've got the money to buy games but not the time to play them. I would prefer that though.

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Binman88
@Video_Game_King said:
" Devil Survivor? You have just started an argument :P. "
Why, what did I do? :O

@eroticfishcake said:
" You really like your PS3 by the looks of it. Good choice of platform for the DA:O though. While it's not bad on consoles I don't think it was really developed for them. I still have to get Demon's Souls but with the considering the rather high price it's going for (I'm poor mind you), I don't think I will be getting it for a while. The ironic thing about a job is that you've got the money to buy games but not the time to play them. I would prefer that though. "
Yea, I'm bad enough with FPS controls on a console, I imagine me getting very frustrated using them with an RPG like Dragon Age!
eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By eroticfishcake

Video_Game_King HATES Devil Survivor. Just so you know...I really like it though.

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Binman88
@eroticfishcake said:
" Video_Game_King HATES Devil Survivor. Just so you know...I really like it though. "
Ah I see. I'm intrigued to give it a go now :P
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Video_Game_King
@Binman88: 

Then prepare to yell at the game for stuff like not including touch screen controls, bosses that can only be described as "cruel", and freezing for no reason, legitimate/new copy or not.
Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Binman88
@Video_Game_King said:
" @Binman88:   Then prepare to yell at the game for stuff like not including touch screen controls, bosses that can only be described as "cruel", and freezing for no reason, legitimate/new copy or not. "
Sounds like fun :P But seriously, no touch screen controls could be a deal breaker. Trust me to not research a game before buying it.
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Video_Game_King
@Binman88: 

Wait, random freezing isn't the deal breaker? Are you a PC gamer with poor taste :P?
bed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#13  Edited By bed

glad to see Sigma's in there! still trying to beat it, and it's pissing me off. 
i hate you, for having Valkyria Chronicles. it's rare to find here, and I've been dying to get it forever now. 

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Binman88
@Video_Game_King said:

" @Binman88:   Wait, random freezing isn't the deal breaker? Are you a PC gamer with poor taste :P? "

lol, I guess that could be a problem too, though my DS tends to freeze at times anyway, regardless of what game I'm playing. Might have something to do with the number of times its crashed off my bed onto the floor after falling asleep playing it. I'm frankly surprised I haven't woken up with a stylus in my eye yet.

@AjayRaz said:

" glad to see Sigma's in there! still trying to beat it, and it's pissing me off. i hate you, for having Valkyria Chronicles. it's rare to find here, and I've been dying to get it forever now.  "

Judging by your profile, you live in Canada right?  http://www.videogamesplus.ca/product_info.php?products_id=13960
bed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By bed
@Binman88: correct. thanks for the link dude, but i planned to head to the local EB tomorrow to see if they have it. Enjoy your PS3 ^_^ 
eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By eroticfishcake
@AjayRaz said:
" glad to see Sigma's in there! still trying to beat it, and it's pissing me off. i hate you, for having Valkyria Chronicles. it's rare to find here, and I've been dying to get it forever now.  "
Persona 4 and now Valkyria Chronicles?!
bed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By bed
@eroticfishcake: my list is long.  
Persona 4, Valkyria Chronicles, The World Ends With You, and more. lazy as hell to name em all, now. 

..please don't hate me! :( 
Cerza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By Cerza

Wow that's a lot of games. That's a lot of really great games. I am a little envious. I wish I was diving into all of those for the first time. Such great games.

JCGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#19  Edited By JCGamer

I kind of get a bunch of games myself.  I got Batman for my b-day months ago, but was playing something else (can't remember what it was right now...) but then Brutal Legend came out--played that for a few days before I switched over to Uncharted 2--won that.  Then I got a PSP with Dracula X, God of War and Ratchet and Clank:  Size matters (got that for free from Amazon).  I played a bunch of Castlevania (won the remix, then played a bunch of SoTN, then played the original Rondo).  Then for some reason started playing Batman a few days ago (man, that game is good--I may dig it more than Uncharted 2, hmmmmm not too sure yet), and I will eventually have to win Brutal Legend.  Oh, got Mario for the Wii--the wife and I are on the last level--good times.  

spacetrucking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20  Edited By spacetrucking

Amazing line up of games dude. I bought a PS3 recently as well and finished like a bazillion games over the last month. And now all of it is like a blur...I've this image of Cole McGrath using the power of flower to take out the Helghast who carry hidden blades under their sleeves.

BTW Raven Shield is still the best tactical shooter there is :p

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Binman88
@AjayRaz said:

" @Binman88: correct. thanks for the link dude, but i planned to head to the local EB tomorrow to see if they have it. Enjoy your PS3 ^_^  "

Here's hoping they have it in stock!

@JCGamer said:

" I kind of get a bunch of games myself.  I got Batman for my b-day months ago, but was playing something else (can't remember what it was right now...) but then Brutal Legend came out--played that for a few days before I switched over to Uncharted 2--won that.  Then I got a PSP with Dracula X, God of War and Ratchet and Clank:  Size matters (got that for free from Amazon).  I played a bunch of Castlevania (won the remix, then played a bunch of SoTN, then played the original Rondo).  Then for some reason started playing Batman a few days ago (man, that game is good--I may dig it more than Uncharted 2, hmmmmm not too sure yet), and I will eventually have to win Brutal Legend.  Oh, got Mario for the Wii--the wife and I are on the last level--good times.   "

I'd love to play NSMB Wii, but alas, I don't have a Wii so I can't :( I'm also dying to play all the DS Castlevania games but they seem impossible to find anywhere. I might buy SoTN if it's available on the EU PSN. 

I really liked Batman too, though I'm not sure I could go back through it. After I finished it I made sure to go back and find all the collectibles and now I feel like I'm pretty much done with the game. Definitely a GotY contender for a lot of people I reckon - if I had to choose though, I think Uncharted 2 would win out for me.

@Killjoy said:

" Amazing line up of games dude. I bought a PS3 recently as well and finished like a bazillion games over the last month. And now all of it is like a blur...I've this image of Cole McGrath using the power of flower to take out the Helghast who carry hidden blades under their sleeves. BTW Raven Shield is still the best tactical shooter there is :p "

haha, that actually sounds kinda cool, I think you might be on to something :P Sony should release a game like that, combining elements from all the big games of the year.

And dude, I just reinstalled RVS a few days back and played a few rounds online. There's still a load of servers up, but unfortunately most of them aren't running Punkbuster anymore - or they're running custom maps which I can't be bothered attempting to download.