Games I can play with my Dad

Mars_Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Mars_Cleric

My dad would often see me playing games and I decided to get him to join in.
We played a bunch of Castle Crashers on the 360 and he really enjoyed it.
He also said he would like to play a two player racing game with me.

We have a 360 and a PS3.
So my question is what games do you guys reckon would be simple and fun enough to play with my dad?

Avatar image for deactivated-5b04117c9080d
deactivated-5b04117c9080d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Hmm I don't know, most of the great racing games are not split screen. My 2 favourite racing games this gen are Burnout paradise and Race driver: GRID. Unfortunately, unless you are playing online, they are both just single player games.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#3  Edited By KaosAngel

DOA Extreme Beach Vollyball.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#4  Edited By oldschool
Mars_Cleric said:
"My dad would often see me playing games and I decided to get him to join in.We played a bunch of Castle Crashers on the 360 and he really enjoyed it.He also said he would like to play a two player racing game with me.We have a 360 and a PS3.So my question is what games do you guys reckon would be simple and fun enough to play with my dad?"
Way to patronise your dad man!  What is he, like 60 or something?  I am possibly closing in on 50, so I am guessing maybe old enough to be your dad, and I will play pretty much anything.  Did he games in his "younger'" days - like Pong or Asteroids?  

I say, just find good multiplayer games and go for it.  I can't see how he wouldn't enjoy killing zombies in Left 4 Dead or racing around on Forza 2, or for that matter, killing some Germans in a war game or aliens in Halo 3.  Don't assume anything.

If he is ancient, buy a Wii and play bowling with him :-)
Mars_Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Mars_Cleric

Are there no split screen racing games anymore?
That's a bit lame.

KaosAngel said:

"DOA Extreme Beach Vollyball."
...no...
......no...
Mars_Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Mars_Cleric
oldschool said:
"Mars_Cleric said:
"My dad would often see me playing games and I decided to get him to join in.We played a bunch of Castle Crashers on the 360 and he really enjoyed it.He also said he would like to play a two player racing game with me.We have a 360 and a PS3.So my question is what games do you guys reckon would be simple and fun enough to play with my dad?"
Way to patronise your dad man!  What is he, like 60 or something?  I am possibly closing in on 50, so I am guessing maybe old enough to be your dad, and I will play pretty much anything.  Did he games in his "younger'" days - like Pong or Asteroids?  

I say, just find good multiplayer games and go for it.  I can't see how he wouldn't enjoy killing zombies in Left 4 Dead or racing around on Forza 2, or for that matter, killing some Germans in a war game or aliens in Halo 3.  Don't assume anything.

"
I'm not patronising my dad, I think he's awesome for wanting to play games with me. Plus he's only turning 50 this year.
It's just that he had some trouble getting the contols on the 360 so I wanted somthing simple.
Plus he loves cars whcih is why a racing game would be perfect.

I've bought him games before, COD2(PC) and other stuff, and he bought Bioshock for his PC when I bought it for 360 (though he didn't play it that much).

I think the only games him and my mum played at length were the old Pac-Man and Space Invaders tabletop games and whatever we had on the Intellivision.

Though L4D could be a good idea :)
Lashe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Lashe

My dad's approaching 50 and he'll play pretty much anything -- he was an avid PC gamer for years but he's converting himself to the 360 after having got used to the dual-analogue sticks.

It's easy enough to pick up older Burnout games though, that might satisfy your racing needs. Crash mode is also a laugh, my dad gets quite a kick out of that.

My dad and I tend to play a lot of Co-Op games now though; splitscreen co-op GeOW, Nazi Zombies, etc are always a good laugh, and if you're good enough at the game then it's pretty easy to ease him in to playing if he's not used to the controls.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#8  Edited By oldschool
Mars_Cleric said:
"oldschool said:
"Mars_Cleric said:

"
I'm not patronising my dad, I think he's awesome for wanting to play games with me. Plus he's only turning 50 this year.It's just that he had some trouble getting the contols on the 360 so I wanted somthing simple.Plus he loves cars whcih is why a racing game would be perfect.I've bought him games before, COD2(PC) and other stuff, and he bought Bioshock for his PC when I bought it for 360 (though he didn't play it that much).I think the only games him and my mum played at length were the old Pac-Man and Space Invaders tabletop games and whatever we had on the Intellivision.Though L4D could be a good idea :)"
I wasn't really being serious.  I never get this real meaning in a message thing :-)

I am pleased to see you say "only" 50 - makes me feel better.  I am sure that some of car racing games must still have split screen.  The loss of split screen multiplayer to online gaming is a tragedy - I hate it.  Sport games are always a bit of fun - tennis, golf, football(soccer) and the like.
Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By Red

LittleBigPlanet wouldn't be a bad idea, nor would Rock Band. Don't try shooters though, my dad wanted to play Halo once and just couldn't get the dual analog sticks at all.

If you really want him to play shooters, start off with him watching you play one like Uncharted, and then maybe ease him in with Gears of War 2 co-op; just don't start him off with an FPS as they're much more intimidating and hard to get used to.
Avatar image for deactivated-5aeccee38cdf9
deactivated-5aeccee38cdf9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Red said:
"LittleBigPlanet wouldn't be a bad idea, nor would Rock Band. Don't try shooters though, my dad wanted to play Halo once and just couldn't get the dual analog sticks at all.
If you really want him to play shooters, start off with him watching you play one like Uncharted, and then maybe ease him in with Gears of War 2 co-op; just don't start him off with an FPS as they're much more intimidating and hard to get used to.
"
Yea Rockband is a good idea and my dad couldn't grasp the control of dual-analog either.
Ummm you could get Burnout Paradise and the Party Pack download that comes with it that would be the closest thing to a racing split screen game.  I know that my dad really liked COD:WAW cause of the historical aspect, just a suggestion.
Mars_Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Mars_Cleric

@oldschool
I know you weren't being serious I was just messing with you :)

Sport games might be a good idea, although some aren't so good.
I have yet to find a great cricket game (the Ricky Ponting one was okay).
Golf might be good since you can take turns.

Mars_Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Mars_Cleric
lilarchie232 said:
"Red said:
"LittleBigPlanet wouldn't be a bad idea, nor would Rock Band. Don't try shooters though, my dad wanted to play Halo once and just couldn't get the dual analog sticks at all.
"
Yea Rockband is a good idea and my dad couldn't grasp the control of dual-analog either.Ummm you could get Burnout Paradise and the Party Pack download that comes with it that would be the closest thing to a racing split screen game.  I know that my dad really liked COD:WAW cause of the historical aspect, just a suggestion."

My dad couldn't get dual joysticks either.
Maybe after all those years of just one joystick he can't get into it :)
I'm sure I could get him used to it though he's a quick learner on tech.
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By KaosAngel
Mars_Cleric said:
"Are there no split screen racing games anymore?
That's a bit lame.

KaosAngel said:
...no.........no..."
Why the hell not?
kmdrkul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#14  Edited By kmdrkul

Get the new Street Fighter.  I used to play SF2 on the SNES with ALL of my family (even my mom!) when I was younger.  My dad was a cheap bastard at that game....

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By KaosAngel

How the hell is Street Fighter okay (a game that shows violence), but a sport game isn't?  It's just people playing volleyball on the beach...ain't nothing wrong with that.  Hell if I had a son, I'd play with him.  We'd talk about life, women, and teach him about the birds and bees.  I got it all mapped out.

Mars_Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Mars_Cleric
KaosAngel said:
"Mars_Cleric said:
"Are there no split screen racing games anymore?
That's a bit lame.

KaosAngel said:
...no.........no..."
Why the hell not?"
My parents are a bit conservative (okay just my mum) so if she saw me and my dad playing that she wouldn't be impressed.
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By KaosAngel
Mars_Cleric said:
"My parents are a bit conservative (okay just my mom) so if she saw me and my dad playing that she wouldn't be impressed."
Valid point.  Damn, I guess Leisure Suit Larry is out of the question.  >_>
Mars_Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Mars_Cleric
KaosAngel said:
"Mars_Cleric said:
"My parents are a bit conservative (okay just my mum) so if she saw me and my dad playing that she wouldn't be impressed."
Valid point.  Damn, I guess Leisure Suit Larry is out of the question.  >_>"

Man, my dad used to have the first three Leisure Suit Larry games (on floppys) years ago.
I can remember my brother and I would ask him the answers to the age verification quiz thing at the start (I was only about 8-10).
good times :)
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By KaosAngel

Then just play DOA XBV2 WITH HIM!  ZOMG, he seems like a cool guy...don't play with your mum!

Mars_Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Mars_Cleric
KaosAngel said:
"Then just play DOA XBV2 WITH HIM!  ZOMG, he seems like a cool guy...don't play with your mum!"
I would but mum has the uncanny ability of coming in to the room at the most offending moments in a game.
It's spooky mum voodoo or something.
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By penguindust

LOL. This "old" thing had me laughing.  You young whippersnappers and your new fangled contraptions.  Playing games on a TV?  That's the devil's work!  I'm not quite up there with oldschool or your dad, but I can relate.  Anyway, I want to suggest a few titles...

• If you dad prefers games of our youth, I'd suggest Pac-Man Champion Edition on XBL Arcade.While is similar to classic Pac-Man it is not a simple port or update with high-rez graphics.  It's more like a brand new take on the game but completely familiar to those who enjoyed the original  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VR_ZQXRaLZs
  • Project Gotham Racing 4 - I can't say I've played this particular edition of the series, however I played PGR 2 & 3 a great deal and enjoyed them throughly.  I like the "kudos" system which rewards the player with points for pulling off dangerous stunts while racing. It has 2 player split-screen available. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9br1MxB0iJ8
  • Marvel Ultimate Alliance - This is a multiplayer action game with some RPG like features.  You and you dad can both play at the same time, each controlling a hero while the compute controls the other 2 (or you can have other people play them).  I played this game with a friend of mine and we had a blast. Like Geometry Wars (or Robotron for us geezers) you move with 1 stick and aim with the other.  The game is full of hero and villians to mix and match, and newer editions (gold edition?) come with the DLC. GB's Ryan Davis review from Gamespot: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vm5Xqlxy_kY

I really think you should stick to an arcade style racer over the more detail oriented simulations like Forza or Gran Turismo 5 Prologue.

Mars_Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Mars_Cleric
PenguinDust said:
"LOL. This "old" thing had me laughing.  You young whippersnappers and your new fangled contraptions.  Playing games on a TV?  That's the devil's work!  I'm not quite up there with oldschool or your dad, but I can relate.  Anyway, I want to suggest a few titles...
I really think you should stick to an arcade style racer over the more detail oriented simulations like Forza or Gran Turismo 5 Prologue."

Dude, he's barely 50. He's not that old.
We have Motorstorm and he likes the look of that. I bought it cos I thought it would have split screen.