Games I Have Not 'Got'

Drumtasticnick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

Edited By Drumtasticnick

Seemingly, I am one of the few people on the planet that hasn't been raving about the release of Modern Warfare 2 earlier this week. I am in an even smaller minority of people that pretty much 'haven't given two **** about it.

Now, you may think I am a few sandwiches short of a picnic for saying this but it's not the first game that I haven't 'got'. By that I mean that I haven't understood why certain titles are so hyped by the press and games alike. Don't get me wrong, I love video games, have done since I was a kid, but there are some 'classics' that have come along that have been very similar to the genre of games I've been playing at the time and yet I have failed to see the appeal.

So, I have compiled a very small (but concise) list of all the games that I have come across in my gaming life that I simply haven't understood why pretty much everyone would give their Granny's right arm to have a glimpse at. These are the games that I have given the highest accolade of…'meh'.

Final Fantasy VII

Even though the first Final Fantasy game in the series was released since 1990, it wasn't until the 7th instalment that people really sat up and took notice. For one, it was the first Final Fantasy to feature 3-D graphics and in doing so, put it streets ahead of it's ancestors. It also helped sell loads of Playstations as initially it was only available on that console. The soundtrack - epic and the gameplay was groundbreaking. Not for me though, I never could get my head around the appeal of FF VII as the whole world went mental for one guy with a massive sword and beating enemies in turn based combat.

On the face of things, it all looked great. At the time of release, I wasn't really into RPG's, having only played around with a few early adventure titles which had RPG elements. But even now, with my experience with World of Warcraft and its competitors…I still couldn't understand why FFVII had sold over 10 million copies worldwide. It's not just the seventh one though, I've NEVER been able to get into it and when I told people of this plight they looked at me as if I had two heads. 'Maybe it would be better on the PSP with slightly better graphics?' I told myself. Why did I ever think having it on a tiny screen would make it BETTER?! Madness, I tell thee.

Legend Of Zelda

Another confession here, folks. I don't, and never will like anything to do with the Legend of Zelda. From it's cutesy, flute wielding pansy protagonist (which as a matter of note, I never wanted to aspire to) to the endless searching through bush after bush after sodding bush for that illusive heart when I know I'm just going to lose them all trying to cross that gap which is just…too…far…away.

Once again, the whole catalogue of Zelda games were in the same vein of similar games that I loved in the adventure category, but I just couldn't get my head around that once again…the world went mental from what is basically the Nintendo version of the Final Fantasy Series but without the turn-based jiggery pokery that made me so mad so very, very often.

Metal Gear Solid

This is a different choice than the last two titles that I have mentioned so far. In those, I liked the elements and other games in the surrounding genres. However, I cannot stand stealth games (which is probably why Gears of War appeals to me so much) and never have. The reason for this is that I think I'm just too damn lazy to wait and hide for that illusive guard to forget that I was ever there after I went into the first level with all guns blazing. Don't get my wrong though, after all the hype got too much for me…I gave it another shot with my sensible trousers on and still got frustrated with Metal Gear Solid. They don't call it Solid for no reason, y'know.

And finally...

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

Ooooooh, either this is a complete surprise to you or has been blatantly obvious, but alas, probably one of the games that I am the most annoyed that I don't 'get'…is Modern Warfare 2. This is 'hype-not-getting' in it's purest form, folks.

Once again, I love First Person Shooters; if you look at my collection you will that it's clearly my favourite genre. Not only that, but I have loved a lot of the Call of Duty titles that have preceded MW2, but since they have split and formed Infinity Ward the Modern Warfare series has failed to spark my interest. Or maybe getting killed all the time over Xbox Live was the final nail in the coffin. I admit, I haven't played this game yet, but the advertising around it has failed to spark my interest to play it. The feel of the series since Call of Duty 2 has never appealed to me a much as the later games. In its first DAY of release it's manage to reign in over $910 million in the US and UK alone. Am I missing something here, or is there something wrong with me?

There we have it, I hope some of you understand why I haven't been able to get my head around what everyone else seems to be dribbling over around me and I wonder if you have felt the same at one point. Saying that, there are a load of there games and series' that have been brilliant. The Halo's, World of Warcraft and pretty much all the Street Fighter's I have loved, but as I have demonstrated, we all have different opinions and you can't hate on someone just because they haven't gone the same way as the general populace and followed the norm. Are they any games that I've missed out that you just simply haven't understood the mega-hype? Let the world know in the comment section below.

Maybe I haven't given these games enough time, should I sit down with all the above and really commit them to my subconscious and give into the mass peer-pressure. No. I have no inclination, as they failed to grab me at my first exposure to them, and therefore I am perfectly happy continuing to love the games that have.

*EDIT* I wish to make it known the readers of this particular blog is that my commentary is merely on games that I have played (or even owned) in the past that have, through various means, failed to grab my attention as much as other games in the series or genre. It is not a commentary on the subject of over-hyped games at all, it is merely trying to get some insight as to why I haven't 'got' the games that so many others have.

Drumtasticnick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Drumtasticnick

Seemingly, I am one of the few people on the planet that hasn't been raving about the release of Modern Warfare 2 earlier this week. I am in an even smaller minority of people that pretty much 'haven't given two **** about it.

Now, you may think I am a few sandwiches short of a picnic for saying this but it's not the first game that I haven't 'got'. By that I mean that I haven't understood why certain titles are so hyped by the press and games alike. Don't get me wrong, I love video games, have done since I was a kid, but there are some 'classics' that have come along that have been very similar to the genre of games I've been playing at the time and yet I have failed to see the appeal.

So, I have compiled a very small (but concise) list of all the games that I have come across in my gaming life that I simply haven't understood why pretty much everyone would give their Granny's right arm to have a glimpse at. These are the games that I have given the highest accolade of…'meh'.

Final Fantasy VII

Even though the first Final Fantasy game in the series was released since 1990, it wasn't until the 7th instalment that people really sat up and took notice. For one, it was the first Final Fantasy to feature 3-D graphics and in doing so, put it streets ahead of it's ancestors. It also helped sell loads of Playstations as initially it was only available on that console. The soundtrack - epic and the gameplay was groundbreaking. Not for me though, I never could get my head around the appeal of FF VII as the whole world went mental for one guy with a massive sword and beating enemies in turn based combat.

On the face of things, it all looked great. At the time of release, I wasn't really into RPG's, having only played around with a few early adventure titles which had RPG elements. But even now, with my experience with World of Warcraft and its competitors…I still couldn't understand why FFVII had sold over 10 million copies worldwide. It's not just the seventh one though, I've NEVER been able to get into it and when I told people of this plight they looked at me as if I had two heads. 'Maybe it would be better on the PSP with slightly better graphics?' I told myself. Why did I ever think having it on a tiny screen would make it BETTER?! Madness, I tell thee.

Legend Of Zelda

Another confession here, folks. I don't, and never will like anything to do with the Legend of Zelda. From it's cutesy, flute wielding pansy protagonist (which as a matter of note, I never wanted to aspire to) to the endless searching through bush after bush after sodding bush for that illusive heart when I know I'm just going to lose them all trying to cross that gap which is just…too…far…away.

Once again, the whole catalogue of Zelda games were in the same vein of similar games that I loved in the adventure category, but I just couldn't get my head around that once again…the world went mental from what is basically the Nintendo version of the Final Fantasy Series but without the turn-based jiggery pokery that made me so mad so very, very often.

Metal Gear Solid

This is a different choice than the last two titles that I have mentioned so far. In those, I liked the elements and other games in the surrounding genres. However, I cannot stand stealth games (which is probably why Gears of War appeals to me so much) and never have. The reason for this is that I think I'm just too damn lazy to wait and hide for that illusive guard to forget that I was ever there after I went into the first level with all guns blazing. Don't get my wrong though, after all the hype got too much for me…I gave it another shot with my sensible trousers on and still got frustrated with Metal Gear Solid. They don't call it Solid for no reason, y'know.

And finally...

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

Ooooooh, either this is a complete surprise to you or has been blatantly obvious, but alas, probably one of the games that I am the most annoyed that I don't 'get'…is Modern Warfare 2. This is 'hype-not-getting' in it's purest form, folks.

Once again, I love First Person Shooters; if you look at my collection you will that it's clearly my favourite genre. Not only that, but I have loved a lot of the Call of Duty titles that have preceded MW2, but since they have split and formed Infinity Ward the Modern Warfare series has failed to spark my interest. Or maybe getting killed all the time over Xbox Live was the final nail in the coffin. I admit, I haven't played this game yet, but the advertising around it has failed to spark my interest to play it. The feel of the series since Call of Duty 2 has never appealed to me a much as the later games. In its first DAY of release it's manage to reign in over $910 million in the US and UK alone. Am I missing something here, or is there something wrong with me?

There we have it, I hope some of you understand why I haven't been able to get my head around what everyone else seems to be dribbling over around me and I wonder if you have felt the same at one point. Saying that, there are a load of there games and series' that have been brilliant. The Halo's, World of Warcraft and pretty much all the Street Fighter's I have loved, but as I have demonstrated, we all have different opinions and you can't hate on someone just because they haven't gone the same way as the general populace and followed the norm. Are they any games that I've missed out that you just simply haven't understood the mega-hype? Let the world know in the comment section below.

Maybe I haven't given these games enough time, should I sit down with all the above and really commit them to my subconscious and give into the mass peer-pressure. No. I have no inclination, as they failed to grab me at my first exposure to them, and therefore I am perfectly happy continuing to love the games that have.

*EDIT* I wish to make it known the readers of this particular blog is that my commentary is merely on games that I have played (or even owned) in the past that have, through various means, failed to grab my attention as much as other games in the series or genre. It is not a commentary on the subject of over-hyped games at all, it is merely trying to get some insight as to why I haven't 'got' the games that so many others have.

Alex_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Alex_V

Good read. Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks, as they say. 

For what it's worth I agree with you on MW2 - I've just got no interest in another tweaked Call Of Duty multiplayer game. But obviously a load of people have.

i don't really rate Final Fantasy VII much either - I don't think it compares very well even to other FF games. But I'm glad it was a massive success because it opened the door to so many JRPGs being released in the West.

Bombs_Away

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By Bombs_Away

Totally agree with your post. Too many people jump on bandwagon and get too caught up with games. Modern warfare 2 is quite ridiculous really...a 5 hour campaign and the multiplayer is the same as the last one. Its as if all the console fanboys never played counter strike before and couldnt believe they found a multiplayer FPS. Like Alex_V said though we've all got our likes and dislikes.

Good post!

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By natetodamax
@Bombs_Away said:
"the multiplayer is the same as the last one.
No.
Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Geno

Perhaps you didn't get into FF7 because you didn't finish it? I know the starting is rather slow, but the story as a whole was amazing, especially for that time in video game history. 

Bombs_Away

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Bombs_Away
@natetodamax said:
" @Bombs_Away said:
"the multiplayer is the same as the last one.
No. "
F***ing brilliant...thats definitely convinced me
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#7  Edited By Video_Game_King

Yea, thinking the graphics were the main reason people love it, while understandable, is wrong. For me, it's the gameplay and (at times) the story. Oh, and music.

Zelda=Final Fantasy? When? It's not like both games star a mute blondy wielding a huge sw-.....goddamn it.

Gears is a stealth game? As much as it is a rail shooter. Oh, and advice: try Arkham Asylum if you want stellar stealth.

As for games I don't understand, I believe I've made those obvious time and time again. FF12, Halo 3, Devil Survivor, et cetera.

MrSnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By MrSnow

MWII

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#9  Edited By AgentJ
I'm probably way off base, but from where I'm standing it sounds like you're just ripping on a bunch of series that people like 
As for my "games I have not got", you can pretty much throw every FPS (with a few exceptions) and a bunch of TPS on that list.  
(irony intended)
@Bombs_Away
said:
" Totally agree with your post. Too many people jump on bandwagon and get too caught up with games. Modern warfare 2 is quite ridiculous really...a 5 hour campaign and the multiplayer is the same as the last one. Its as if all the console fanboys never played counter strike before and couldnt believe they found a multiplayer FPS. Like Alex_V said though we've all got our likes and dislikes.  Good post! "
LOL!
skidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By skidd

Like you, I didnt get the MGS series. I can appreciate theyre well made, and can understand why other people like them, they just werent for me...

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By toowalrus

Wow, it's like, he took four of the most popular franchises ever, insulted them, and told us he hates them. Awesome.

flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

#12  Edited By flaminghobo
@Bombs_Away said:
  • A 5 hour campaign
  • The multiplayer is the same as the last one.
  • Its as if all the console fanboys never played counter strike before and couldnt believe they found a multiplayer FPS.
Whilst I'll agree that the campaign is on the short side, it's still a blast whilst it lasts. It doesn't hold up to its predecessors campaign in most respects, nowhere near. Don't presume that I think that Call of Duty 4's campaign is TEH BEST EVAR, because I know full well that it isn't. If I want to play an epic campaign, I'll go and play Dragon Age. (On the PC)

As for the multiplayer being the same as the previous installment, you're kidding me right? They've added a whole new roster of guns, maps and a couple of new game modes as well as enhancing the customisation features that were barely scratched in Call of Duty 4. It's a sequel, not a brand new IP. If they made major changes to the multiplayer instead of just expanding on what was already a good format, the game wouldn't be getting as much praise as it is.

Your last point doesn't make much sense too me. You've compared one of the most successful games on the PC to console fanboys? There's a huge amount of people who haven't even heard about Counter-Strike, whilst almost everyone knows what Call of Duty is. How are they supposed to know any better, if they haven't actually laid their hands on CS? Thinking about it now, perhaps CoD is the console CS. (Yes, I do know that Counter-Strike was released for the original XBOX.)
ThisArmyStud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#13  Edited By ThisArmyStud

DUDE. You included, pretty much the best games ever released lol. No MGS, ZELDA, OR FFVII? I feel sorry for you bro.

JoeH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By JoeH

Uh Infinity ward weren't formed to make MW2... they made CoD 1,2,4 and MW2. Treyarch made 3 and WaW.

luce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By luce

Kinda just sounds like you took some of the most popular games you could think of right off the top of your head and said "OVERRATED!".

Nope. This hasn't been done before.

Griddler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 15

#16  Edited By Griddler
@Bombs_Away: He wasn't trying to convince you. Just saying that you were wrong... Which you are.
EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#17  Edited By EpicSteve

Usually when someone dislikes a popular game franchise, it's typically one of those titles. With the acceptance of Modern Warfare. 

Avatar image for emandudeguyperson
Emandudeguyperson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

You are saying you dislike those games because you obviously want to attract attention to yourself, knock it off.

Bombs_Away

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Bombs_Away

Everyone whos complaining why don't you lot knock it off. It would be interesting to see what games we like and dislike...why can't anyone say anything on this site without a load of knobheads coming along, thinking that they're the all high and mighty and putting someone else down. Stop making the forums such a shit place to go.

and flaminghobo and girdz stop being bitches...i said my opinion, don't try and insult me. give your opinion, but don't use it as a launch pad to attack others

Griddler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Griddler
@Bombs_Away: Screw you, if you aren't ready for people to disagree with your opinion don't post it... You probably haven't even played the mulitplayer because if you had you would know that it has changed alot.
Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Fallen189

Don't try to change the masses on this website sir. People will just immediately call LOL TROLL and try to make it out like you're some sort of baby killer.  I think it's cute however, that people presuppose you picked them to be edgy or whatever. They're some of the biggest franchises, and you didn't care for them. More power to you.

I'm with you however. Not say that I disliked them, they're mostly great.

But things like Mass Effect/MW2/Fallout 3 and such, I just don't care.

Bombs_Away

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Bombs_Away
@girdz: dont make it personal now...
Griddler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Griddler
@Bombs_Away: O.O What?
hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#24  Edited By hatking
@Drumtasticnick:
I am right there with you 100%.  Every one of those titles are games I just didn't really get.  I'd also add God of War to the list.