mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

Edited By mikemcn

Games of 2009 I wanted to play, but didn't

The New Years reminded me of one thing, I did not play alot of major games this year. Most of my time was spent on games from the past I never really got to such as Garry's mod, TF2, Fallout 3, Mount and Blade and Call of Duty 4.  Also, Modern Warfare 2 took up so much time that there wasn't much room at the end of the year for anything else. These are some of the games that im really upset I never got to play.     

Missing all these games almost assures I will be playing 2009 games for most of 2010, leading to an endless cycle of being behind on playing all the great games.  Too bad, one day I will get ahead.

1. Killzone 2

This game really impressed me. The graphics and effects wowed me. I was amazed at how much detail was put into the battles , from the explosions going on in the background, to the sound of bullets whizzing by. It seemed like a very intense experience. Only problem..... i don't own a PS3, with a little effort I could have played it at one of my friend's houses but I never did.

2. Dragon Age: Origins

I was scared off this game for two reasons, the inevitable time commitment and the possibility that it may be too good, and i would get pulled away from all the other games I would want to play. The last Bioware RPG I played was KOTOR, and that sucked me in for weeks. I will play this game, it seems like a fantastic RPG, I just wished I had put some time into it before 2010.

3. Empire: Total War

I love RTS games and Empire seemed to have it all. Yet I never put in the effort to grab it during the various steam sales this year. I heard it was buggy so prehaps that was what stopped me. It seemed to combine all the positives of a game like Civilization, with the depth of strategy found in all the other Total war games. I missed out on this one. At least my need for RTS was filled by Men of War.

4. The Sims 3

I didn't play this game because...... well...... theres no real reason as to why I didn't. Sims 3 is just the kind of game that will be as fun 3 years from now as it is today, theres nothing in it that can really be outdated. So there wasn't any urgency to buy this. I'll get to it soon enough. As soon as i get the urge to delete all the ladders on a pool and watch my sims drown, i'll grab it.

5. Uncharted 2: Among Thieves

2009 is also the year when i began to think that a PS3 would be a good investment. Uncharted Two, Infamous, and Killzone were all fantastic PS3 exclusives I would have liked to check out. This game impressed me with it's vibrancy and solid mechanics, it looked like a ton of fun, although it didn't particularly wow me like some other games did.

6. Forza Motorsport 3

I've always wanted to try out a racing sim like Gran Turismo, but they never made much sense to me. Forza would be the perfect game for breaking into this. However I have zero interest in paying for an Xbox 360 and all it's attachments. (If you add up the cost of an xbox and all the attachments, like live, a wireless adapter since I cant be stretching an ethernet cord all through my house, an extra controller, the game itself, and a hardrive, it gets crazy expensive.) I'll have to find someone I know with this game, although most people I hang around with arent big on racing games, so this might be the game i never really play.

7. Batman: Arkham Asylum

Everyone says this game is great, and aside from a short demo, i didn't get to experience it. Batman is awesome and I love brawler type games like this (I thought the watchman game was actually alot of fun). But Batman also has alot of depth to it that most other games in this genre don't. I was irritated everytime people compared it to metroid though, the back and forth in those games drives me mad. I like more direct experiences, but Batman may be the game that will one day change that idea. Assuming I ever get to it.

8. Torchlight

I played the demo fo this and loved it, and its so cheap, why didn't i buy it ! Oh yea, Call of Duty. These two games hit very close two one another, I simply couldn't bring myself to purchase a game I wasn't going to play alot of. This game has me interested in Diablo 3, and since that game is never going to come out, i might need to grab torchlight to hold me over.

9. Borderlands

10 million guns means this game must be awesome. I would love to try it out but that alone wasn't enough for me to buy it.

10. Assassin's Creed II

This isnt higher on my list because the only reason i missed it in 2009 was that it won't come on PC until sometime in early 2010. ( I should really get an HD console) But hey, the first one was pretty good aside from lots of looping sound clips and plenty of repetition. I also have to be careful to avoid any and all spoilers about it until it comes out.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By mikemcn

Games of 2009 I wanted to play, but didn't

The New Years reminded me of one thing, I did not play alot of major games this year. Most of my time was spent on games from the past I never really got to such as Garry's mod, TF2, Fallout 3, Mount and Blade and Call of Duty 4.  Also, Modern Warfare 2 took up so much time that there wasn't much room at the end of the year for anything else. These are some of the games that im really upset I never got to play.     

Missing all these games almost assures I will be playing 2009 games for most of 2010, leading to an endless cycle of being behind on playing all the great games.  Too bad, one day I will get ahead.

1. Killzone 2

This game really impressed me. The graphics and effects wowed me. I was amazed at how much detail was put into the battles , from the explosions going on in the background, to the sound of bullets whizzing by. It seemed like a very intense experience. Only problem..... i don't own a PS3, with a little effort I could have played it at one of my friend's houses but I never did.

2. Dragon Age: Origins

I was scared off this game for two reasons, the inevitable time commitment and the possibility that it may be too good, and i would get pulled away from all the other games I would want to play. The last Bioware RPG I played was KOTOR, and that sucked me in for weeks. I will play this game, it seems like a fantastic RPG, I just wished I had put some time into it before 2010.

3. Empire: Total War

I love RTS games and Empire seemed to have it all. Yet I never put in the effort to grab it during the various steam sales this year. I heard it was buggy so prehaps that was what stopped me. It seemed to combine all the positives of a game like Civilization, with the depth of strategy found in all the other Total war games. I missed out on this one. At least my need for RTS was filled by Men of War.

4. The Sims 3

I didn't play this game because...... well...... theres no real reason as to why I didn't. Sims 3 is just the kind of game that will be as fun 3 years from now as it is today, theres nothing in it that can really be outdated. So there wasn't any urgency to buy this. I'll get to it soon enough. As soon as i get the urge to delete all the ladders on a pool and watch my sims drown, i'll grab it.

5. Uncharted 2: Among Thieves

2009 is also the year when i began to think that a PS3 would be a good investment. Uncharted Two, Infamous, and Killzone were all fantastic PS3 exclusives I would have liked to check out. This game impressed me with it's vibrancy and solid mechanics, it looked like a ton of fun, although it didn't particularly wow me like some other games did.

6. Forza Motorsport 3

I've always wanted to try out a racing sim like Gran Turismo, but they never made much sense to me. Forza would be the perfect game for breaking into this. However I have zero interest in paying for an Xbox 360 and all it's attachments. (If you add up the cost of an xbox and all the attachments, like live, a wireless adapter since I cant be stretching an ethernet cord all through my house, an extra controller, the game itself, and a hardrive, it gets crazy expensive.) I'll have to find someone I know with this game, although most people I hang around with arent big on racing games, so this might be the game i never really play.

7. Batman: Arkham Asylum

Everyone says this game is great, and aside from a short demo, i didn't get to experience it. Batman is awesome and I love brawler type games like this (I thought the watchman game was actually alot of fun). But Batman also has alot of depth to it that most other games in this genre don't. I was irritated everytime people compared it to metroid though, the back and forth in those games drives me mad. I like more direct experiences, but Batman may be the game that will one day change that idea. Assuming I ever get to it.

8. Torchlight

I played the demo fo this and loved it, and its so cheap, why didn't i buy it ! Oh yea, Call of Duty. These two games hit very close two one another, I simply couldn't bring myself to purchase a game I wasn't going to play alot of. This game has me interested in Diablo 3, and since that game is never going to come out, i might need to grab torchlight to hold me over.

9. Borderlands

10 million guns means this game must be awesome. I would love to try it out but that alone wasn't enough for me to buy it.

10. Assassin's Creed II

This isnt higher on my list because the only reason i missed it in 2009 was that it won't come on PC until sometime in early 2010. ( I should really get an HD console) But hey, the first one was pretty good aside from lots of looping sound clips and plenty of repetition. I also have to be careful to avoid any and all spoilers about it until it comes out.

Bombs_Away

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Bombs_Away

I only want to play Killzone and Uncharted from that list. I haven't played any of them either but the others aren't worth buying IMO

MrAwsum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By MrAwsum

If you get a chance to play Borderlands, I would. It's ( IMO ) Completely amazing. 
I've had it two days, and already spent 6+ hours on it.  
Enjoyed EVERY moment of it, Single and Multi-player.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By mikemcn
@MrAwsum said:
"If you get a chance to play Borderlands, I would. It's ( IMO ) Completely amazing. I've had it two days, and already spent 6+ hours on it.  Enjoyed EVERY moment of it, Single and Multi-player. "

It didn't attract me too much, but I would certainly like to try it.
InfiniteGeass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By InfiniteGeass

I have only played one of those games, so I would really like to play the rest. The only one I've played is Borderlands and that game is fucking awesome.

cstrang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By cstrang

Holy shit, dude.  When you get some time to catch up, you're going to have a blast.  I KNOW that 8 of those games are superb.

Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By Whisperkill

Yuo missed Batman, Uncharted AND Assassins Creed... man, how can you even say you played games this year

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By Capum15
@InfiniteGeass said:
" I have only played one of those games, so I would really like to play the rest. The only one I've played is Borderlands and that game is fucking awesome. "
I agree with Borderlands being awesome. Assassin's Creed 2 got me really interested in it, and I've downloaded but haven't played Torchlight (too many other things). Pretty much everything else on that list would probably be on mine. I don't have a PS3 though, so I'm never going to play Killzone 2 or Uncharted 2 or...etc. I want to, though, they all seem pretty interesting.
Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Milkman

I missed Dragon Age, Forza 3, Mario & Luigi and Ratchet & Clank. And I am already rectifying all of those things.

So far, Dragon Age is, by far, my favorite.

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#10  Edited By rjayb89

If you played the Sims 2, you're not missing out on much in Sims 3.  I got tired of it faster than I did with 2.  Well, if you're into that kind of stuff.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By mikemcn
@Whisperkill said:
"Yuo missed Batman, Uncharted AND Assassins Creed... man, how can you even say you played games this year "
Yea, i was too busy putting 100+ hours into Mount & Blade, Fallout 3, Men Of War and COD4. That, along with alot of other games means i was putting in hundreds of hours in relatively old games. I also played alot of Left 4 Dead, Half life, and Team fortress, all of which i only got this year. Im catching up haha. 

@rjayb89 said:
"If you played the Sims 2, you're not missing out on much in Sims 3.  I got tired of it faster than I did with 2.  Well, if you're into that kind of stuff. "

Yea, its more or less a case of me wanting the sims 3 so i don't have to deal with load times, thats a real bummer when you want to go around the corner and you have to go through 2 minutes of loading, im impatient.

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#12  Edited By scarace360

Well dude time to go to your game stop and get some games.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By mikemcn
@scarace360 said:
"Well dude time to go to your game stop and get some games. "

Best Buy wipes the floor with gamestop, but yeah haha.