#1 Posted by NlGHTCRAWLER (1215 posts) -

Up until recently I have totally been meh about video games in general. I think it's mostly because I only play multiplayer based games (Uncharted 3, Cod, Battlefield, etc etc) that just put me on braindead mode for a few hours. I don't know why, but I have always had trouble with games that contain long and exaggerated stories. 98% of my library is filled with games that I have given up on because they stopped being interesting to me (Batman AC, Assassins Creed, Mass Effect 3.. just to name a few). I thought that I was like this with all story based games, but then a few weeks ago I stumbled upon Heavy Rain and played the shizzle out of it. It was amazing and definitely one of the best games I have ever played. I looked for games that might be similar and found LA Noire. It was very enjoyable in my opinion and scratched my Crime Solving itch for a little bit, but now that I beat it, i'm in search for something new but similar. If you guys can give me some recommendations for GOOD crime/noir/mystery video games like these two (that are very intriguing from start to finish), I would really appreciate it.

#2 Posted by WarlordPayne (694 posts) -

Indigo Prophecy is by the same guys that did Heavy Rain. It's got quite a bit of supernatural stuff in it, and I hear it kind of falls apart at the end but that's all I can think of offhand. There really aren't a lot of games like Heavy Rain and LA Noire outside of point and click adventure type games.

#3 Posted by ThePaleKing (613 posts) -
#4 Posted by NlGHTCRAWLER (1215 posts) -

@WarlordPayne: It don't have to be point and click, I just like the mystery and story concepts.

#5 Posted by NlGHTCRAWLER (1215 posts) -

@ThePaleKing: Thanks for the recommendation! I might have to invest in a better PC, but still good stuff.

#6 Posted by Sparky_Buzzsaw (6033 posts) -

I'm gonna get creamed for saying this, but I actually enjoyed And Then There Were None (it's listed under Agatha Christie: And Then There Were None in GB's database). The Gabriel Knight games might be worth checking into too, though they're older What else, what else? The first two Police Quests aren't the most intriguing games in the world, but the third and fourth are decent. The fourth has some hilariously awful voicework, so that might be worth the price of admission alone. I'm also sort of partial to the Sherlock Holmes games, but those are pretty much critically panned, so... yeah.

#7 Edited by eskimo (473 posts) -

If you dont mind playing older games, The Last Express is incredible, although a little hard to get into by todays standards.

Its a graphic adventure set on the Orient Express, it plays out in real time over a few days - pretty much Murder on the Orient Express in video game form

#8 Posted by EVO (3847 posts) -

From what I've played Broken Sword is really good.

#9 Posted by benefitevil (49 posts) -

If your into the humor aspect of games Sam and Max has the same theme and has some good puzzles to it, but has a giant humor element to it. Its not for everyone but if its your cup of tea its a really good game.

#10 Posted by JCTango (1358 posts) -

@WarlordPayne said:

Indigo Prophecy is by the same guys that did Heavy Rain. It's got quite a bit of supernatural stuff in it, and I hear it kind of falls apart at the end but that's all I can think of offhand. There really aren't a lot of games like Heavy Rain and LA Noire outside of point and click adventure type games.

Yeah I'll second this - the beginning parts of Indigo Prophecy aka Fahrenheit feel a lot like what you want. It has that Heavy Rain sort of vibe.

#11 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5796 posts) -

Deus Ex: Human Revolution sounds like it would be right up your alley (assuming you don't have anything against Sci-fi). 

and if you're up for you might as well check out the original too.

#12 Posted by DarthOrange (3802 posts) -

Alan Wake is a really good Mystery/Crime game.

#13 Posted by mosespippy (3973 posts) -

Deadly Premonition is a murder mystery thriller. If you haven't ruined it for yourself by watching the endurance run then you might want to check it out. If you don't have a 360 then you'll have to wait for the director's cut PS3 version.

#14 Posted by Little_Socrates (5675 posts) -

@mosespippy said:

Deadly Premonition is a murder mystery thriller. If you haven't ruined it for yourself by watching the endurance run then you might want to check it out. If you don't have a 360 then you'll have to wait for the director's cut PS3 version.

Came in to post this game.

I'm not sure if there's still a way to play Grim Fandango, but that's apparently a classic that I'd like to play myself. Also, Vinny seemed to like Gemini Rue, which included at least a bit of mystery stuff IIRC.

#15 Posted by awesomeusername (4152 posts) -

@NlGHTCRAWLER: The Walking Dead! If you haven't played it yet. Other then that, I wouldn't know. I'm eagerly awaiting Beyond: Two Souls though because Heavy Rain is an excellent game and they don'y make much games like Heavy Rain and L.A. Noire.

#16 Posted by DoctorDanger99 (686 posts) -

@NlGHTCRAWLER: I know this might sound odd,but how bout the older resident evil games or even silent hill? ive allways thought they share alot with the older point and click games and are similar to la noire and heavy rain. they are usually very slow paced and involve lots of searching around for clues or keys and are VERY atmospheric.

also,Grand Theft Auto. those games can be very immersive if you play it straight.just play gta4 as a normal person would,no rampages,only stealing cars if you have to,stuff like that.

#17 Posted by Coafi (1481 posts) -

If you got a DS, you can try out Hotel Dusk: Room 215, it's more a visual novel with puzzle elements, but the story is neat and it has the detective noire mood in it.

#18 Posted by Jimbo (9767 posts) -

http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/police_quest_1_2_3_4

#19 Posted by salbolovescoffee (3 posts) -

The 2 Broken Swords are good and there is also Broken Sword 2.5 but I wouldn't touch the recent ones they pretty suck 

#20 Posted by mordukai (7125 posts) -

I would recommend Blade Runner. I remember playing the living shit out of it back in the day and I still didn't get all the endings. I think the game has 10 or 13 different ending variations.

#21 Edited by forkboy (1106 posts) -

@mordukai said:

I would recommend Blade Runner. I remember playing the living shit out of it back in the day and I still didn't get all the endings. I think the game has 10 or 13 different ending variations.

Absolutely

@Coafi said:

If you got a DS, you can try out Hotel Dusk: Room 215, it's more a visual novel with puzzle elements, but the story is neat and it has the detective noire mood in it.

Another very good shout, I'm very fond of that game. Probably due another playthrough as I can't remember what happened in it.

#22 Posted by Live2bRighteous (313 posts) -

I think Condemned 1 and 2 can be considered such a game, seeing you're a detective. Good luck playing through both of them though. lol

#23 Posted by jerseyscum (861 posts) -

The Gabriel Knight games:

It's a bit old-school, but the plot and characters still hold up. All three are on Good Old Games and despite the fact that these games were released in the early 90's, they still hold up. It's more occult and paranormal investigation instead of crime, but they're still fantastic games.

Le Serpent Rogue from GK3 is possibly one of the most ingenious puzzles ever put in an point-and-click adventure game. And you have to love Tim Curry's awesomely bad attempt at a New Orleans accent.

#24 Posted by CooVee (136 posts) -

I  recommend the Ace Attorney games on the DS. They are mostly court dramas but there is a fair bit of crime scene investigation and witness interrogation. 

#25 Posted by Athadam (672 posts) -

@DarthOrange said:

Alan Wake is a really good Mystery/Crime game.

I found Alan Wake's storyline a bit silly. It never really stayed true within the realms of reality. I get the fact that as you play, the book is revealed to you but there's just so much randomness. Because of this, anything that could happen - did happen so I wasn't surprised or shocked at the game's big moments. Games like LA Noire and Heavy Rain stay closer to reality and don't have a crazy storyline, and as a result any twists that happen are utterly unexpected.

Furthermore, Alan Wake's combat just really dragged me down. I find that games with a minimal and a few meaningful combat encounters make for much better gameplay than the repetition of shooting shadows again and again. I would have liked it more if Alan Wake stayed true to his character and was a stressed out writer rather than an amazing monster killer. Either way, I still enjoyed the game for its deep atmosphere and great characters.

Also I recommend GTA 4, Red Dead Redemption, and Sleeping Dogs (what I've played so far atleast). These games are violent and combat intensive but everything stays true to its universe and the plot twists are amazing.

#26 Posted by SpartanHoplite (384 posts) -

Blade Runner (1997) & Urban Chaos (1999). They are both amazing games revolving around crime, mystery & sci-fi. In Urban Chaos you play as rookie cop Darci, solving crimes & other situations on small sandbox levels. It has driving, shooting, hand to hand combat & you can even climb buildings. Its old but gold, get it at GoG.com, & be sure to check out the games forum board at GoG.com for HD crack & fun cheats for the game.

I just over a year ago played for the first time Blade Runner point'n click game from 1997, i'm not a fan of the genre, but i've played it already twice, it has really cool story & interrogation gameplay, & it works well on win7. You can still find it on internet uknowwhere :]

oh, also try out VTMB, it has a great athmosphere, story, characters & fun gameplay. Specially the characters are one of the best in any game!

Urban Chaos at GoG.com:

http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/urban_chaos

#27 Posted by realph (253 posts) -
#28 Edited by jerseyscum (861 posts) -

Snatcher and Policenauts: You may have to use some extralegal means to get these titles, but it's well worth it.

#29 Posted by Adaurin (186 posts) -

Grim Fandango

#30 Posted by Baillie (4025 posts) -

I'm just going to be a a sheep and reiterate. Broken Sword 1 and 2 are both FANTASTIC games. I also enjoyed Broken Sword 3 a whole lot, even though it is a lot different. I never played th fourth, but from what I've heard maybe give it a miss, or if you enjoy the first two, and maybe the third, then check it out I guess? If you do, please tell me what you think. With that in mind Broken Sword 5 has just been kickstarted and it looks to be awesome.

Fahrenheit is also amazing. Definitely one of my favourite games, but it really does start to fall apart at the end which is such a shame, the game definitely shines from start to 2/3rds thorough. I loved it.

Also, remember if you enjoyed Broken Sword games, Broken Sword: The Serpent's Curse looks to be just as good.

#31 Posted by Dagbiker (6938 posts) -

Still Life

it has nudity too, which is always a plus

#32 Posted by Meltac (1991 posts) -

You should try out Still Life. Very enjoyable "little" game.