Games like The Bureau?

Steffehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Ps3 games like The Bureau? That is my FAVORITE ps3 game so far, I love it. I love the story, the whole 60's era, the third person shooter, the aliens and monsters and stuff. Any games that are similar? Multiplayer games would be nice too. So are zombies. Lol. Thanks!

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

DeadpanCakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Never played The Bureau, but watching gameplay footage sorta reminded me of Valkyria Chronicles-ish?

BonOrbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

You'd probably dig Mass Effect 3 multiplayer. I'm not a big multiplayin' kinda guy, but even I had a lot of fun with that. Helped break my anxiety of playing multiplayer with bunch of people I don't know!

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Definitely the Mass Effect games from what I've seen. Though The Bureau seems like a pale imitation in comparison.

flasaltine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Freshbandito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I'd probably throw something like Binary Domain in the mix.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

Never played The Bureau, but watching gameplay footage sorta reminded me of Valkyria Chronicles-ish?

I'd say it's closer to Mass Effect, but with permanent character death for your secondary squad members. It's less a strategy RPG and more an action-oriented RPG with some strategic squad elements and character abilities that function more closely to what Mass Effect is.

DeadpanCakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@hailinel: Ah, I see. Yeah, I was looking at everybody else saying Mass Effect and pretty much immediately realized I didn't know much about The Bureau.

I wanna say I remember somebody trying real hard to sell me on the strategy elements in the game, so maybe that's where the Valkyria Chronicles comparison in my head came from.

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Brute Force. Fuck the haters, that game was pretty fun.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#13  Edited By cornbredx

Well, it's a really bad game that is ripping off Mass Effect (I had to sit through every single minute of The Bureau for a walkthrough I wrote, and while it does have interesting ideas it's just so poorly done and the ending is mindbogglingly horrible).

The thing is, Mass effect is more of an homage to 70s (maybe late 60s in some respects) sci fi- so it's tonally different (all be it a better game in all respects).

Someone else said Bioshock which is similar mainly due to era more than anything. 60s suburban aesthetic is not common in games, but the original XCom was fashioned for that era and the concepts of "the red scare" that were prevalent (and thus the reason for sci fi films that tackled it from the early 1900s all the way through the mid 1960s). I doubt you'll find that on PS3, though. It's an older PC game.

You might like Bioshock, though. Bioshock, while similar in aesthetic, is a tonally different game (tackling more modern politics like vanity, over indulgence, racism [which is a timeless issue unfortunately], among many other things), but it's worth checking out on it's own merits.

There aren't many games like The Bureau (as again The Bureau is full board ripping off Mass Effect for game play) even through out all of games [in general]. The closest I can think of not related to Mass Effect or the Bureau is Freedom Fighters on PS2 as you do lead a squad there, but even that is not really like The Bureau and is tonally completely different (Freedom Fighters is more of a take on Red Dawn done in a more modern at the time [early 2000s] setting).

The closest you'll come game play wise is Mass Effect as the game play is entirely stolen from that, but you won't get the 50s-60s red scare era suburban setting.

I would recommend Fallout 3 or New Vegas, but those are only mildly similar aesthetically and not at all the same game play. It's still worth mentioning if you want to look into it. You'll probably enjoy it more in any case.

As for zombies, throw a quarter and you'll land on one. You really don't need recommendations- they aren't hard to find if you actually look at a game stores stock (digital or otherwise).

A really bad game that I enjoyed was Stubbs the Zombie in Rebel without a pulse. It has that pulpy, 60s suburban thing going on and is fashioned after that concept aesthetically. It's kind of a bad game, but I like a lot of little things about it. I don't want to give bad recommendations, but if you liked The Bureau and like "zombies" maybe you'll get a kick out of it. I don't know if it's on PS3, though. I have it on PC (steam).

I thought about this entirely to much.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#14 fisk0  Moderator

The only thing similar to The Bureau's combat is Mass Effect and the only thing similar to a 60's setting with monsters would be Bioshock 1 and 2, otherwise there isn't too much on PS3

What about the Resistance series? While in first person rather than third person, they are set in during an alien invasion the 50's, and that series is PS3 exclusive.

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@fisk0 said:

@somedelicook said:

The only thing similar to The Bureau's combat is Mass Effect and the only thing similar to a 60's setting with monsters would be Bioshock 1 and 2, otherwise there isn't too much on PS3

What about the Resistance series? While in first person rather than third person, they are set in during an alien invasion the 50's, and that series is PS3 exclusive.

Yeah... Resistance 1 and 3 have a similar setting than Bureau (since we are at it, also check Singularity), but the only thing that comes close in terms of combat mechanics is Mass Effect (with a feature that doesn't get used too much, though).

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

I can't believe none of you guys mentioned Full Spectrum Warrior!That's what this game is based around! They even said in the QL that it's heavily inspired by that game. God I wish they made more games like that. So much fun.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

I agree that the Bureau is basically a ripoff of Mass Effect in design. If the Aesthetics are more important, though, I don't know, maybe LA Noire? (50's) Mafia 2? (40s-50s). It's not as common as I might like and neither of those games have scifi elements. The only games I can think of that mixes mid-century sensibilities with scifi are the Fallout games (especially New Vegas), which aren't at all the same thing, obviously.

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Destroy All Humans games have the setting you are looking for but:

1) They are all old PS2 gen games.

2) I don't think they were very good.

Entreri10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

schlorgan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Just play Mass Effect 2.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#21  Edited By GERALTITUDE

Am I crazy for thinking it's crazy no one mentioned XCOM?

I guess it depends how attached you are to real time combat, but XCOM seems like a naturally next step from The Bureau.