Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#51  Edited By Jimbo
@Irvandus said:

@Jimbo said:

So what you're really saying is that you want to talk about the end of Mass Effect 3? OK!

No I'll talk about it again, I just hate how you can't talk about anything else in that game save for the few conversations about multiplayer.

I guess. It's understandable though, considering.
Svenzon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#52  Edited By Svenzon

Mass Effect 3 here, too. I've just started playing it again, since everyone seems to have moved on and shut the hell up about the ending. I had customers coming in everyday going on and on about the ending and how Bioware should give them refunds and blah blah blah. I wish I could just tell them all to fuck off, but I would probably have lost my job if I did. :(

_Zombie_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#53  Edited By _Zombie_

Star Wars: TFU I and II. Previously, I thought they would be halfway decent games. But listening to my friend go on and on about how AWESOME Starkiller was just killed them for me. Thankfully, they were shitty games anyway so I didn't have to waste my money.

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

#54  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

Meme culture ruined my Portal experience. Portal 2 didn't fortunately.

AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#55  Edited By AngelN7

@believer258 said:

@AngelN7 said:

@believer258: Well I can't argue with what you think of the game but expecting something that doesn't belong on an action game for a reason is rather silly even considering that they try to mix up the pace of the game with some light stealth secuences , platforming and puzzle solving and even so far as having levels where you don't shoot anyone "it's so linear" is not really a valid complain what would you try to change? "hey you can go to France or you can go to Siria chose wich mission you want to do? but you'll still have to play both of them" that doesn't really work for that kind of game but your complains go deeper than that and I can't change your mind about the game for me it was awesome, is a shame you didn't have the same experience.

You aren't catching my main argument. It's that the first two Uncharted games have a bunch of sequences where the game expects you to do exactly what's been laid out in front of you, and never deviate from what's intended. This would not bother me so much if each piece of gameplay that was laid out in front of you didn't pale in comparison to other things. The set pieces do not come across as exciting as the ones in Dead Space 2 or, for an earlier example, Call of Duty 4; the cover-based shooting falls flat on its face when compared to that of Gears of War 2; the puzzle solving is almost insultingly easy and formulaic when compared to some of the things that the Tomb Raider games have done, etc.

Do you see my point now? The Uncharted games aren't downright bad and I'm not saying that someone can't enjoy them. As far as I'm concerned, though, the games are quite flawed. Naughty Dog can do far better.

For the record, I have not played Uncharted 3 but I have never heard anyone say it does anything different. As it stands, I gave examples of games that did what Uncharted 2 did, and better, before Uncharted 2 even came out. I only used one example from afterwards (Dead Space 2) and in that same category I gave an example of a game that came out before Uncharted 2.

I still think it boils down to a matter of opinions as in I've never understood people that praise Gears Of War shooting and god awful character control over Uncharted and probably never will , nor can I say Call of Duty 4 or any other COD games setpieces are better (they're not bad either the little I played of Black Ops was really good but I never got that oomph!) or that the style is "less linear" when it boils down to go from here to this dot in the map to trigger next cutscene you're gonna get the same experience regardless of how you play and I would say you even have less options where in Uncharted the traversal gameplay gives the a spin to the shooter formula over the more conventional shooters like Gears , so much so that they removed the only stealth section in Gears of War 2 and sold it latter as DLC because it "didn't fit" with the game's pace.

Uncharted It's a very linear game inspired by classic a action/adventure movies like Indiana Jones so is gonna make sure that you do exactly what you need to do so you can see stinger moment the "crap I can't belive that happened!" I don't see anything wrong in that as long as the gameplay arround it is fun, rewarding and challenging and it is, I think it is, you don't so there's nothing I need to "catch" , sure Uncharted 3 might no be differ from the formula all that much in that it guides itself by the previous game book to do the Uncharted thing I don't think that makes the game weaker far from it, people liked the second game Naughty Dog delivered bigger and better experience just like any good sequel would do, so agree to disagree I guess.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#57  Edited By Justin258

@AngelN7 said:

@believer258 said:

@AngelN7 said:

@believer258: Well I can't argue with what you think of the game but expecting something that doesn't belong on an action game for a reason is rather silly even considering that they try to mix up the pace of the game with some light stealth secuences , platforming and puzzle solving and even so far as having levels where you don't shoot anyone "it's so linear" is not really a valid complain what would you try to change? "hey you can go to France or you can go to Siria chose wich mission you want to do? but you'll still have to play both of them" that doesn't really work for that kind of game but your complains go deeper than that and I can't change your mind about the game for me it was awesome, is a shame you didn't have the same experience.

You aren't catching my main argument. It's that the first two Uncharted games have a bunch of sequences where the game expects you to do exactly what's been laid out in front of you, and never deviate from what's intended. This would not bother me so much if each piece of gameplay that was laid out in front of you didn't pale in comparison to other things. The set pieces do not come across as exciting as the ones in Dead Space 2 or, for an earlier example, Call of Duty 4; the cover-based shooting falls flat on its face when compared to that of Gears of War 2; the puzzle solving is almost insultingly easy and formulaic when compared to some of the things that the Tomb Raider games have done, etc.

Do you see my point now? The Uncharted games aren't downright bad and I'm not saying that someone can't enjoy them. As far as I'm concerned, though, the games are quite flawed. Naughty Dog can do far better.

For the record, I have not played Uncharted 3 but I have never heard anyone say it does anything different. As it stands, I gave examples of games that did what Uncharted 2 did, and better, before Uncharted 2 even came out. I only used one example from afterwards (Dead Space 2) and in that same category I gave an example of a game that came out before Uncharted 2.

I still think it boils down to a matter of opinions as in I've never understood people that praise Gears Of War shooting and god awful character control over Uncharted and probably never will , nor can I say Call of Duty 4 or any other COD games setpieces are better (they're not bad either the little I played of Black Ops was really good but I never got that oomph!) or that the style is "less linear" when it boils down to go from here to this dot in the map to trigger next cutscene you're gonna get the same experience regardless of how you play and I would say you even have less options where in Uncharted the traversal gameplay gives the a spin to the shooter formula over the more conventional shooters like Gears , so much so that they removed the only stealth section in Gears of War 2 and sold it latter as DLC because it "didn't fit" with the game's pace.

Uncharted It's a very linear game inspired by classic a action/adventure movies like Indiana Jones so is gonna make sure that you do exactly what you need to do so you can see stinger moment the "crap I can't belive that happened!" I don't see anything wrong in that as long as the gameplay arround it is fun, rewarding and challenging and it is, I think it is, you don't so there's nothing I need to "catch" , sure Uncharted 3 might no be differ from the formula all that much in that it guides itself by the previous game book to do the Uncharted thing I don't think that makes the game weaker far from it, people liked the second game Naughty Dog delivered bigger and better experience just like any good sequel would do, so agree to disagree I guess.

All right, all right! I get it, you really fucking like Uncharted. I was simply criticizing the game to hell and back, and don't you assume that I don't do that to other games. I don't want to write out my thoughts on every game that I listed or have mentioned, but suffice it to say that I could write pages and pages on the issues I can bring up with those other games. I was simply stating that I feel like Uncharted doesn't do anything particularly special, save for looking pretty.

Off-topic, I've been avoiding asking this question because I don't want to look like anymore of an asshole than I already am on these boards, but... Do you know what a goddamn period is!?

otzlowe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By otzlowe

Nothing, I guess, unless you count the community of shooters and hearing people talk about them in real life. If you let people dictate your fun with video games, you're doing yourself a disservice. Just assume everyone is full of shit and out to make you waste your money. Find multiple sources, don't preach one gospel... yadda yadda. I find that following my gut followed by saying, "Fuck everyone else, I'm doing this." either leads to rebellious glee or unexpected fun.

However, I think that this thread is a fair demonstration that the internet is the problem.

SmilingPig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By SmilingPig

For me its when a game gets overhyped that kills it.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#60  Edited By Animasta

I think there's a subset of games that are panned critically, but praised beyond their station on the internet, that it makes it really hard to live up to the hype (or maybe that's just a problem I have).

Deadly Premonition is a prime example.

AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#61  Edited By AngelN7

@believer258: It was worse before man!, I just had a big wall of text, this might sound backwards but when I write in english I first put my thoughts and try to make something "articulate and comprehensible" then I go for the spell checking and yes I do like Uncharted a lot . I was really into Gears but I just hate how those big mammoths move after getting into Drake's shoes I just can't go back to being so danm slow and not being able to climb up stuff (that's not a really fair reason but that's where my bias comes from).

jewunit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#62  Edited By jewunit

I think Street Fighter X Tekken fits this description. The controversy over the gem system and the sexual harassment charge during a promotional event made for a troubled time prior to the release date. Once the game was released, lot of fighting game fans buried the game for having glitches and the difficulty in selecting gems. I think the former issues could have been addressed better, but the latter issues are normal for the initial release of a fighting game. The game has a lot of promise and it is a shame that it is being abandoned.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#63  Edited By Animasta

@jewunit said:

I think Street Fighter X Tekken fits this description. The controversy over the gem system and the sexual harassment charge during a promotional event made for a troubled time prior to the release date. Once the game was released, lot of fighting game fans buried the game for having glitches and the difficulty in selecting gems. I think the former issues could have been addressed better, but the latter issues are normal for the initial release of a fighting game. The game has a lot of promise and it is a shame that it is being abandoned.

no one ever made the connection of "aris is a terrible human being" to "SFxT is shit!' though? I never saw that and I read most of that really super long news post about it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think The Witcher II was ruined for me by all the insane hype surrounding it.

jewunit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#65  Edited By jewunit

@Animasta said:

@jewunit said:

no one ever made the connection of "aris is a terrible human being" to "SFxT is shit!' though? I never saw that and I read most of that really super long news post about it.

I will admit that the level of association is largely one of proximity since it occurred at a promotion for SFXT. Further, that event didn't do much to draw interest in the game. However, I believe the controversy scared off some more casual players that did not want to be associated with the FGC. Things have calmed a bit since the time of that incident, but the fact that the game was released in the middle of that media maelstrom against FGC members did not help the game.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

@Otzlowe said:

Nothing, I guess, unless you count the community of shooters and hearing people talk about them in real life. If you let people dictate your fun with video games, your doing yourself a disservice. Just assume everyone is full of shit and out to make you waste your money. Find multiple sources, don't preach one gospel... yadda yadda. I find that following my gut followed by saying, "Fuck everyone else, I'm doing this." either leads to rebellious glee or unexpected fun.

However, I think that this thread is a fair demonstration that the internet is the problem.

Yeah I think moral of this whole story is that The Internet and Over Hype are the true killers of good/decent video games.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By NTM

Maybe F.E.A.R. But I'd probably still play it, because that game's always good. I was playing it on hard (or whatever the hardest difficulty is), and it was somewhat intense, and at the same time, my mom screamed because someone was trying to break into our house.

Avatar image for sexualbubblegumx
SexualBubblegumX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By SexualBubblegumX

Diablo 3 was wrecked for me because I read a plot spoiler after I saw that the class line up was lame. So Bad Plot and lame classes... All because I checked info on the game before hand. Counts as outside sources wrecking it. Shame since I love Diablo 2.

Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked Uncharted 3 better than Uncharted 2.  I liked how they ended it with the original three characters of the first game

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

#70  Edited By Slag

@Irvandus said:

Yeah I think moral of this whole story is that The Internet and Over Hype are the true killers of good/decent video games.

The moral of the story is that you should avoid Internet discussions on a game until you are done with it. When I want to play a game , I'll get just enough info to make that decision. Then I'll refrain from reading/viewing anything related unless about it until I'm through. If the game has a multiplayer component (ala starcraft), I won't start until I clear campaign mode.

Over hyping/meme stuff is annoyance but this problem is totally avoidable.

I do agree though the problem is completely unavoidable in WOW, since the community aspect of that game is integral to it.

Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#71  Edited By Little_Socrates

Mine have already been hit in this thread, excluding Capcom 2012 (which I simply haven't played due to their gross business.)

Hyperglide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#72  Edited By Hyperglide
conantheking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By conantheking

Time and weather can affect my immersion levels and while they won't ruin a game, if I play a game in the right environment I find the game to be much more immersive. For example, playing Silent Hill at night or Skyrim during the winter months.

EDIT: In fact, when the first Lost Planet came out, I used to turn off the heating in the house and open my windows wide during those winter months just to feel cold. Likewise, in the summer, I get tempted to play Red Dead Redemption and dehydrate myself a bit.

MaxxS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By MaxxS

Nobody's said Fez yet? I personally don't care about how developers act, but I could see why people were turned away from it because of Phil Fish.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#75  Edited By BeachThunder

Not exactly ruinous, but I just thought I'd give it a mention it anyway, since it was pretty embarrassing:

Draxyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Draxyle

@BeachThunder said:

Not exactly ruinous, but I just thought I'd give it a mention it anyway, since it was pretty embarrassing:

Oh gawd. I had DS1 on Steam for awhile but never got around to playing it. When this commercial started rolling around, all it made me do is regret buying the first one. I was sick to my stomach.

EA has been very "good" at that lately.

stryker1121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By stryker1121

@wewantsthering said:

Honestly games are only ruined by outside stuff if you let it. It's the same with movies. Everyone was really down on Prometheus, but I didn't let it get to me and I ended up enjoying it anyways. Same goes for games that were way over-hyped. When I went into the Uncharted games, everyone over-praised it, but it didn't make my experience worse. I always try to come in with low expectations so I'll be surprised if it ends up being good. I went into the Dark Knight thinking I was going to hate it because there was so much buzz, but I ended up liking it anyways.

Wait, someone who's not swayed by outside influences and can judge art on its own merit. That's not my Internet!

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#78  Edited By Oldirtybearon

@Draxyle said:

@BeachThunder said:

Oh gawd. I had DS1 on Steam for awhile but never got around to playing it. When this commercial started rolling around, all it made me do is regret buying the first one. I was sick to my stomach.

EA has been very "good" at that lately.

your response is something I just don't comprehend. It's a dumb trailer aimed at the teenagers who play Dead Space. You know, the ones who live with their parents. The ones who like to rebel just to do it. You, at one point in your life.

I didn't "like" the trailer myself, I rolled my eyes and moved on with my day. Why the hell would it make you regret buying the first Dead Space to the point where you got "sick to your stomach"? Do you think using hyperbole would get your point across clearer than just saying "yeah, I didn't like that"?

That's probably my answer to this thread's question. A bunch of people who have no idea that there's granular shifts in quality. The kinds of people who believe everything has to be FANTASTIC or FUCKING AWFUL. I hate those people. Don't be like those people.

SefaRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By SefaRed

All the negativity surrounding The Old Republic has put me off playing it even though I love the game. People just seem to want that game to fail.

Draxyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Draxyle

@Oldirtybearon said:

your response is something I just don't comprehend. It's a dumb trailer aimed at the teenagers who play Dead Space. You know, the ones who live with their parents. The ones who like to rebel just to do it. You, at one point in your life.

I didn't "like" the trailer myself, I rolled my eyes and moved on with my day. Why the hell would it make you regret buying the first Dead Space to the point where you got "sick to your stomach"? Do you think using hyperbole would get your point across clearer than just saying "yeah, I didn't like that"?

That's probably my answer to this thread's question. A bunch of people who have no idea that there's granular shifts in quality. The kinds of people who believe everything has to be FANTASTIC or FUCKING AWFUL. I hate those people. Don't be like those people.

It's more of a moral issue that I have with it. EA marketing the game to teenagers when the game is rated M is bad enough, the commercial just does a complete disservice to the game at hand. It made me sick to give money to EA to support these kind of actions.

Perhaps a little hyperbolic, I just hate to see marketing that destructive.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#81  Edited By ArbitraryWater

I'm not going to lie. Now that I bought a copy of L.A. Noire I can't help but feel a bit dirty playing it. It's clear from the outset that the game was made by someone with an obsession for meticulous detail, and the cost of that was a bunch of employees getting mistreated and screwed over.

Also the internet has kinda ruined Bioware for me now. Dragon Age II may be a bad game, but it's a bad game that I like dammit! Also 90% of Mass Effect 3 is exactly what it should be. The other 10% is the whole earth sequence and the ending.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#82  Edited By Oldirtybearon

@Draxyle said:

@Oldirtybearon said:

It's more of a moral issue that I have with it. EA marketing the game to teenagers when the game is rated M is bad enough, the commercial just does a complete disservice to the game at hand. It made me sick to give money to EA to support these kind of actions.

Perhaps a little hyperbolic, I just hate to see marketing that destructive.

Fair point, but Rated M is for 17+, so, teenagers.

Let's not pretend that a 17-18 year old is as well developed mentally as an adult, or even someone in their early 20's. These M-rated games are still made for, primarily, the teenage crowd. The fact that older people are still playing or have picked up the hobby is a weird anomaly that just started at the beginning of the last generation. Now we're in this point where everyone is immature and it's suddenly a problem because adults are enjoying the hobby now. Things will even out, but I wouldn't ever expect a game like Dead Space or Call of Duty to stop appealing to their core audience. Teenagers.

Alkaiser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By Alkaiser

There are plenty of Japanese games and cartoons that are completely ruined for me by otaku culture in general, to the point that I won't even bother to look beyond the surface if it creeps me out in the slightest. Pretty much any JRPG made by Gust or Compile Heart falls into this category.