Games someone got you to play and your opinion on the game.

nasp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

i was just curious about games your friends or family told you to try or play because they liked it and recommended it.and what did you think about the game?did you like the game? hate it? or whatever the case.did it get you into a series you would have never played?personally i got into pokemon because a friend liked it and told me to try it,because i liked jrpgs.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By nightriff

Can't think of one off the top of my head but I'm sure it has happened, recently I convinced a co-worker to play Asura's Wrath and lent him a copy and he loved the hell out of it. Actually this happens quite frequently, where I recommend to a co-worker to try "x" game. Convinced a co-worker to pick up DA:O on sale this weekend and he's really enjoying it so far.

EDIT: Thought of one, friend convinced me to finally play Splinter Cell: Conviction, took a couple years of him raving about it, and I hated it, I prefer my stealth games to be stealth and felt like it was leaning way to much on the action and wanted you to go gun crazy all the time.

nasp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By nightriff

@nasp: Pretty much what I told him

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Corevi

Not friends per say but people in the VGCW chat got me to play Bravely Default, a terrible archaic piece of trash not worth your time much less 40$.

frymillstrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I have a friend who used to rip on me because I was always online on Dark Souls, after telling him he was an idiot for dissing the game for about 5 months he finally picked it up and ended up playing 3 times the amount I ever did and then had Dark Souls 2 before me.

A friend convinced me that Castlevania Lords of Shadows was an amazing game so I tried it. It isn't.

Despite being intrigued by the premise and all the praise for The Stanley Parable towards the end of last year I straight up refused to play it for months. i eventually caved around christmas time and it ended up being like my 12th favorite game of last year.

nasp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By nasp

@corruptedevil: interesting, you are the first person ive seen that doesnt like bravely default. i havent played it so can you tell me why you didnt like it ?because i havent heard a bad opinion on it yet.

nasp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pinner458: same here with castlevania lords of shadows.not horrible but not great.

sparklykiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 8

I felt like an idiot for not playing Asura's Wrath sooner. I was sold on the game because of @ozone. It's now one of my favorites.

Another one that comes to mind is Cel Damage. It took my sister quite some time to get me to play it with her when we were kiddos. It wasn't my favorite game, but it was alright! The art/animation style makes me motion sick, though, so that really sucks.

I spend more of my time trying to convince my one friend to play a wider variety of games, things like FTL, Limbo, and The Wolf Among Us come to mind.

slyspider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By slyspider

Friend got me into League of Legends. 3 years later I'm in the top 5% of players and logged thousands of hours in it, while that friend sits at like top 60%.

nasp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slyspider: its kinda funny how it seems the person who played the recommend game ends up playing more than the person who recommended it lol

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By CaLe

I'd probably have led a perfectly normal life if not for the fact someone introduced me to Counter-Strike. That was the beginning of a very long series of events that dictated how the rest of my life turned out. My opinion on the game? Nothing I've played since comes even close to giving me the types of experiences I got through playing CS at competition level. That said, I'd never want get to that point again. It leaves too little room for anything else in life.

nasp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cale: yeah if you want to be good at counter strike you have to play alot and often.because if you stop playing you kinda lose your aim.one of the hardest multiplayer shooters to get into imo.

ZolRoyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Recently my friend has been into Guild Wars 2 and even bought me a copy of it to play so I figured at that point I owed it to him to try it out.
It's... fine I suppose, it's just another mmo really, it's not badly made, it's just that I don't really care for MMO's they just get pointless and boring to me eventually. But I'll still play it with him now and then, it is kind of liberating every now and then to play a game you don't care much about and therefore you can just go wild in it and do things you normally wouldn't because you don't care. Waste all my money on the biggest stupidest weapon? Why the hell not, I don't care!

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

World of Warcraft probably takes the cake for amount of time spent with a game recommend by a friend. Although I stopped playing shortly after Cataclysm.

DeadpanCakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

My friend in middle school wouldn't shut up about this game where you could date hawt anime girls and have implied sex with them.

...And that's how I got into Persona 4. He was talking about Persona 3 at the time, but it wasn't until the release of Persona 4 and well after we had lost contact that I decided to take his recommendation seriously. I fell in love with the game rather quickly (though, admittedly, for different reasons).

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Corevi

@nasp: The entire story is the most generic thing ever (collect the 4 macguffins, beat the evil empire), all the characters are standard anime stereotypes that they don't do anything with (the silent hero, the priestess, the rich girl and the insufferable ladies man), and the gameplay is just FF5 with 100x more grinding. You also need to beat the game FIVE FUCKING TIMES to get an actual ending, each time you need to grind for 10 more hours because fuck you.

nasp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@corruptedevil: wow the beating the game five time and more grinding thing sounds brutal.even for me who can farm for hours on end for that one good item in a diablo type game. its funny you are the first person to mention the massive grinding amount and beating it five times.i wonder why i havent seen anyone say anything about it.

nasp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By nasp

@deadpancakes: better late than never to experience those amazing games.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

Somebody convinced me to play Might and Magic VII. I'll get to my opinion on it when I finish it in twelve years.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Someone on here told me to play Crusader Kings II. And that person is a god among men (can't remember who at the moment, maybe Animasta?). That is the single greatest video game ever created. That is until they make III. Since first booting up the game, I have put in over 400 hours, over the course of a year. Its my go to game when I don't feel like playing anything else. Its also the game that I lose sleep over. I've tried recommending it to people, but they always tell me its a bad game and that its not fun. And they are wrong.

Cloudleet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#22  Edited By Cloudleet

Hmm, most recent would be last week. Told a friend that he should really play Civ 5. He was really hesitant, but early sunday he started playing it on Steam. Today, I went by his place to find out he had not slept or eaten since he started up the game. Sounds about right.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I remember in high school someone who was always borrowing my games said I had to try Devil May Cry. He brought it in and handed it to me without me asking to try it. I figured I'd better play it so I burned through it on easy. It's pretty good I guess. Kind of wish I'd played on a harder difficulty for some reason.

Going the other way with this question, I went to a bar for a small concert once where one of the band members was my room mate's friend. It wasn't a big concert. The band took a break when the hockey game went into overtime because they couldn't get the audiences attention. There were maybe 12 people there. One of them was playing Sonic on a Sega Game Gear. This was in 2010. I convinced him to get Deadly Premonition. I remember telling him it's broken and terrible in all the right ways. Of course, I never heard from dude again, so I don't know what his thoughts on it are.

Avatar image for awesomeusername
awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Not really a person but I played (& loved) Persona 4 Golden because everyone on this site loves it. Also the Tomb Raider reboot which was very meh.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By nightriff

@cloudleet: That sounds like my experience with Civ 4 and 5 and what I'm going to assume Beyond Earth is going to be.

Slaps2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 2

A while ago, someone was all "Hey, Tom! You should play Halo 4! 343 totally didn't ruin your favorite franchise." They were wrong, and they are currently sealed off behind a brick wall in my basement until they can figure out a way to give me six hours of my life back.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#27  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

A friend of mine got me to try System Shock 2 out back in 1999, and it quickly became one of my favorite games of all time. A similar thing happened with Codename: Eagle around the same time too, I guess. A friend said he had seen it for sale for about $2 and told me it was a fantastic multiplayer game that was totally worth buying, and he wasn't wrong.

Other than that I guess I mostly keep getting pestered by friends and relatives to play World of WarCraft with them, even though I've told them multiple times I absolutely despise that game.

Bipa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not really one game in particular but I never really got into jrpgs when I was growing up. It wasn't until the last few years that a friends convinced me to try some out and i've enjoyed burning my way through a huge backlog ever since.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

I got my brother to try out both Chrono Trigger and Persona 3 and he loved both. He hasn't played many other JRPG's, though.

I can't really think of anything, personally.

Nux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

One day back in High School a really good friend of mine were talking and he drought up Devil Survivor. He knew I really liked the SMT franchise so he started telling me all about the game in hopes I would try it and he would have someone to talk to about it. I was pretty unconvinced at first but the more he talked about it the more appealing it seemed. That weekend I happened to find myself at my local Gamestop and decided to pick up a copy of Devil Survivor.

I was hooked from the moment I started playing, in fact I was pretty blown away that I was enjoying it so much. To this day it remains, in my opinion, the second best game on the DS, second only to The World Ends With You.

asmo917

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

A few weeks ago, I was visitng friends and family a few hours away and a good friend told me about how he had gotten into World of Tanks. I shared Paul Barnett's story from earlier this year and remained skeptical until he showed me a few rounds. I've been playing semi-regularly since then (PC, not 360) and generally enjoying myself. I'll probably put a little cash into the game at some point since I want to support Wargaming, but I'm not going to go overboard or have it take up all my gaming time. Fun diversion, glad I have it a shot.

Tom_omb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#32  Edited By Tom_omb

The very first time I played World of Warcraft was on a trial account. My PC couldn't run it very well at the time. I ended up getting on a Zeppelin I shouldn't have been on and found myself getting repeatedly killed by Tigers in Stranglethorn Vale while suffering from terrible lag. I was playing City of Heroes at the time, and it took some convincing to try it again once I had upgraded my computer. When my last friend on CoH left for WoW I decided to give it another shot. I have easily spent more time playing WoW then any other game. While I no longer keep an active subscription at all times, I still look forward to each new expansion.

On a smaller scale, I was determined not to play Animal Crossing: New Leaf. I had played and mildly enjoyed the Game Cube Animal Crossing game, but was disappointed by how similar the DS game was. A friend convinced me to play New Leaf. I ended up playing it much longer, and with more intensity then he did.

Minecraft was another big one. A friend of mine was playing it and showing me screenshot of the crazy castle he was building. I was curious about it, but wasn't sure I'd want to play it because it seemed more like a tool then a game with a objectives. He made it easy for me by gifting me game when it was still super cheap. I loved using it as virtual Lego by building whatever I felt like and collaborating with others on his server to build even more unremarkable projects.

emofratparty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nasp: Spec Ops: The Line. One of the best game-playing decisions I have ever made in my entire life. Anyone who hasn't played that game all the way through should do so, regardless of how "vanilla" the gameplay may or may not be.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c4a6d7d37a3f
deactivated-5c4a6d7d37a3f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My best friend and his girlfriend begged me to get MW3 for weeks. I caved in and got it, even though I hate competitive shooters. I loathed them. My opinion completely changed about a week after buying MW3. It was kinda cool learning how to play one, act like the people playing them and stuff. It started off slowly, just poking at the game with an assault rifle, then graduating to SMG's and running around gunning people down before learning the ways of the Knife and becoming a complete nut job running at people with a tactical knife and revolver, taking down people in droves. It felt... good. Now I want to pick up Black Ops 2 and Knife new people... I hear that game has a knife you can SHOOT at people.

@pinner458 said:

I have a friend who used to rip on me because I was always online on Dark Souls, after telling him he was an idiot for dissing the game for about 5 months he finally picked it up and ended up playing 3 times the amount I ever did and then had Dark Souls 2 before me.

^ This happened to me too. My cousin went nuts with all the Souls games after seeing me play them and got into the PVP. And by got into the PVP I mean would call me in the middle of the night and scream his head of at me about the lag and back stabbers non stop...

I was also told to play: Mass effect, Bioshock and Fallout 3 by friends. But those were just them saying "Hey man these games are pretty cool, you should check them out."

My sister tried to get me into WOW. She wanted more people to hang out with in her clan or something. I played it for 2 hours of my own free will and I wanted to kill myself afterwards. It was the worst game I have ever made myself play. I will play Shaq-fu or any of the other infamously bad games over WOW any day. It just... hurt to play. I've played lots of other MMO's, and liked a bunch of them and sunk hundreds of hours into some, but those 2 hours of World of Warcraft was the worst thing I have ever put myself through. Ever.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

WoW is the first to come to mind. I imagine my story isn't very unique as I had a friend who was really into it and he convinced me to play it. Simple as that. I don't play it anymore, but I thoroughly enjoyed the countless time I spent with it. The raiding and gear grind got quite tedious after a while, but the atmosphere and the world and just the way the game feels are just completed unrivaled in my opinion.

Call of Duty is another one. Specifically CoD4. I played 2 and I think 3, but I was just like "meh, whatever" when I saw 4. Well, again, some friends were playing it, asked me if I wanted a go, taught me how to play, and the rest is history. I was hooked. I think I would honestly have to put in my top 3 favorite shooters right behind UT2k4 and UC2. Ended up having a lot of really great, fun, dumb memories attached to that game.

Wolf Among Us is probably the most recent one. I liked some of Telltale's previous works before and including Walking Dead, but I wasn't exactly clamoring to WAU. In any case, a friend kept telling me how great it was and then it happened to pop up on a Steam sale shortly after. Bought it, played it, love it. Well...it does bother me that, similarly to TWD, a second playthrough with different choices will show you just how much (or, rather, how little) some of those choices actually matter and it kinda sorta ruins the illusion that most of what you do/say is worth a damn. I realize it'd be a lot of work to create vastly different outcomes for every possible choice, but it still bothers me nonetheless. I would still easily recommend it to people, but I say just avoid a second playthrough. lest the illusion be ruined for you too.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

Animal Crossing. Received a free copy from my girlfriend which she had a code for after she bought a 3DS.

It's garbage.