#1 Posted by MayorFeedback (674 posts) -

So I took my time beating The Saboteur earlier this year, mainly because I wasn't really sure how much I was enjoying myself. Pretty neat little open world game, but I never really felt drawn back to it once I turned it off. However, I discovered that once I had actually completed the main story, that was when the game really started to be fun. I had all the weapons I needed, great cars in the garage, most of the perks, and hey, there are about a billion things to go out there and blow up.

It got me wondering if there are any other games out there like that. Obviously they'd have to be a certain kind of game- open-world in nature- and one that would let you keep playing and exploring after finishing the story. Assassin's Creed II is about the closet thing I can think of, as I went feather collecting and such after the story was done, but that's still not quite the same feeling as I got with The Saboteur, as I actively loved AC2 all the way through. The Saboteur only got super fun after finishing the story.

Any other games you've played where you felt like that or is my experience with The Saboteur here unique?

#2 Posted by SSValis (1136 posts) -

its pretty fun being a complete scumbag in ME2 the second time around.

#3 Edited by BulletproofMonk (2720 posts) -

I disagree on The Saboteur. I had no interest in playing after finishing it. There was really nothing interesting to do, except whoring a few trophies. 

But to answer the question, I would probably say Mass Effect 1.  

Also, this: 

@Marcsman said:

" The evil path in inFamous. Fry citizen fry. Ha ha ha "
#4 Posted by Rxanadu (508 posts) -

I would definitely say The Godfather.  Once I was done with all the story missions, I went all over the city taking over the other families' turf.  I eventually took over everything and destroyed the other families' compounds, making me Don of NYC.  The little cinematic was pretty fufilling, also.  

#5 Posted by one_2nd (2359 posts) -

The GTAs obv..

#6 Posted by MayorFeedback (674 posts) -
@SSValis said:
" its pretty fun being a complete scumbag in ME2 the second time around. "
Ah, that's true! 

@BulletproofMonk said:
" I disagree on The Saboteur. I had no interest in playing after finishing it. There was really nothing interesting to do, except whoring a few trophies. "

I can totally understand that, but for whatever reason, the running around of Paris without worrying about story stuff is super fun for me. 
#7 Edited by Yummylee (21615 posts) -

Saints Row 2. About the only one I can think of, really. Since it's only open world games that really give you that choice, most aren't nearly as engaging because the stories over and all you're left with is just the stuff you couldn't be bothered doing in the first place. 

I suppose Prototype is another, and Crackdown 2... though that story ends soon as the opening cinematic is over. 

EDIT: I didn't put as much thought as I should of into the question O.o Weeell okay the DMC games are fun to play through on harder difficulties with all your weapons and abilities at the get go.

#8 Posted by X19 (2306 posts) -

Not open world but I would have to say Mirrors Edge.

When I know where I have to go and can actually use the combat effectively the game is alot of fun to play.

#9 Posted by Belonpopo (1823 posts) -

Ratchet and Clank. It fun just to fuck around with the best weapons.

#10 Posted by YoctoYotta (541 posts) -

Metal Gear Solid 4, Bayonetta, and Yakuza 3 all have pretty good New Game+ modes that encourage replay at harder levels and build upon the progress you made and items you obtained in your first play through. God of War III does this as well, but it didn't seem quite as compelling as the other three I mentioned.

#11 Posted by Marcsman (3195 posts) -

The evil path in inFamous. Fry citizen fry. Ha ha ha

#12 Posted by EVHKwick (452 posts) -

Fallout 3, Borderlands (first playthrough), and P3/4 to name some.

#13 Posted by Pie (7098 posts) -

Dead rising series maybe?

#14 Posted by EthanML (455 posts) -

Recently, Scott Pilgrim. It's shocking how much more fun / less frustrating that game is once you level up your character and actually have all the important moves, such as dodging.

#15 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5826 posts) -

Demon's Souls and Disgaea.

#16 Posted by jasondaplock (262 posts) -
@Belonpopo said:
" Ratchet and Clank. It fun just to fuck around with the best weapons. "
Definitely this one. Between the golden guns and the MacGuffins around the galaxy you couldn't get or didn't bother to get the first time around...very good replay for that series.
#17 Posted by Example1013 (4834 posts) -

Star Wars: TFU is really fun to play through afterwards, both on an already-beaten file and on a new file. It's extremely fun on a new file because, now that you know how to play the game, you can beat it much faster, which overall makes the experience more enjoyable, since it's more like a movie. Going back through on an already-beaten file is fun as well, because you keep all your force powers, so you can really whup people without any trouble. It's also good for collectibles, since if you don't have them all, you can get them, and if you do, you can get them again.

After beating MW2 on Veteran I enjoyed going back through on recruit to both get the story in a more timely fashion (since dying so many times a level really kills the pacing), and to get all the intel. It was pretty fun.

ACI was really fun to go back to older levels and just wreck people. Going back to just when you have access to all the places and all the weapons, and just going on a killing rampage is fun as hell, especially if you play with hidden-blade only, since you're doing nothing but counters with no way to block. I probably went and killed 100 people in one spot during one such trip. And the chaos you can create by just wantonly jumping at anyone nearby, with the screaming and running, and having like 15 guards show up, never gets old. ACII didn't deliver at all the same experience. First of all, it's impossible to get more than like 5 guards at a time in ACII, secondly you can block with hidden blade, thirdly the crowds don't panic the same as ACI, and fourthly you can't kill civilians like I was doing.

MUA is great to play through multiple times, especially if you carry over characters, because you can really beef them up, and get some pretty nice collectibles. MUA2 is also sort of similar, but not quite as good as MUA.

#18 Posted by dankempster (2253 posts) -
@drhans: Based on your description of your experience with The Saboteur, it sounds like Just Cause 2 might offer the kind of experience you're looking for. That game has a metric ton of stuff to blow up long after the main story missions are over. It's on PC, 360 and PS3, and a sizeable demo can be downloaded from Steam, LIVE and PSN respectively, so it might be worth looking into.
#19 Posted by valrog (3671 posts) -

I hear Nier really opens up once you complete it once. 
Also, Borderlands on second playthrough.

#20 Posted by Gnubberen (770 posts) -
@SSValis said:
" its pretty fun being a complete scumbag in ME2 the second time around. "
Running around puching folks is the best
#21 Posted by Blueman (753 posts) -

Resident Evil 5. The ability to play through the game with the Magnum and unlimited ammo improves the experience so much.

#22 Posted by Hashbrowns (650 posts) -

Resident Evil 4 was pretty fun running around with an infinite ammo tommy-gun and RPG. 
#23 Posted by Yummylee (21615 posts) -
@Blueman said:
" Resident Evil 5. The ability to play through the game with the Magnum and unlimited ammo improves the experience so much. "
I never bothered with the infinite ammo option. The game was easy enough as it is and with enough ammo to make sure I practically had more than enough to complete the game multiple times over.
#24 Posted by EVO (3908 posts) -

I always finish the single player before I jump online, so most games with multiplayer become more fun. Except Call of Duty.

#25 Posted by Kjellm87 (1728 posts) -

I remember enjoying Mario 64 more once I knew where all the stars was hidden.

#26 Posted by Branthog (5562 posts) -

I don't see the point in continuing a game after you have beaten it, unless we're talking about multi-player. Achivements are there to pad-out non-existent gameplay/time and if there remains any actual content to enjoy, then it should have been part of the actual game. It seems like people go far out of their way these days to make a five hour game much more, just to compensate for the lack of content in  game. Or because they're easily entertained (seriously, after you beat GTA IV, why would you continue to play? Are people really that entertained by jumping over stuff in poorly controlled cars and shooting people for the trillionth time?).

That's why I feel that DLC released very long after a game's release date is ridiculous. Hey, we have this new stuff that you can see or do or play in the game that we released last month! Well, great, fellas... Too bad I already beat your game on release day and I'm not going back into it all over again just to play with your stupid new weapon or coat or have two minutes of dialogue with a character that wasn't there the first time around.

#27 Posted by EpicSteve (6487 posts) -

Resident Evil games.

#28 Posted by TobyD81 (1227 posts) -

After Burner Climax. Every time you play you unlock more cheats, which make subsequent playthroughs really fun.

#29 Posted by Bloodgraiv3 (2712 posts) -

Borderlands. 
#30 Posted by HitmanAgent47 (8576 posts) -

Just cause 2, there is a mercenary mode where you have to get to 100%. It's fun blowing shit up like guerilla warfare.

#31 Posted by dablemont (82 posts) -

In my case it was Dragon Quest IX. It is one of the very few games that I've spent more time playing post-game than normal playthrough. The game adds so much quests and perks like the weekly wifi items that is very addicting.

#32 Posted by Lind_L_Taylor (3966 posts) -

Can't think of any.  Once you've reached the end, replay 
tends to be just covering old ground.  Which can be fun
but interest doesn't last as long as the first time through.

#33 Posted by MayorFeedback (674 posts) -
@dankempster said:
" @drhans: Based on your description of your experience with The Saboteur, it sounds like Just Cause 2 might offer the kind of experience you're looking for. That game has a metric ton of stuff to blow up long after the main story missions are over. It's on PC, 360 and PS3, and a sizeable demo can be downloaded from Steam, LIVE and PSN respectively, so it might be worth looking into. "
Haha, YES.  That's another good example. I'm not actually looking to play anything like The Saboteur, just wondering aloud. However, I did S-rank Just Cause 2 PC earlier this year, so I definitely agree with you. =)
#34 Posted by DespoticDave (114 posts) -

Crackdown. I rest my case.

#35 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
@one_2nd said:
" The GTAs obv.. "
actually the GTAs dont feel right anymore when i dont have a few letters on my GPS as i free roam ..
#36 Posted by ShockD (2401 posts) -

Just any Grand Theft Auto game :)

#37 Posted by SuperfluousMoniker (2908 posts) -

Character action games that let you start over with all your stuff like the DMC games, Bayonetta, and Ninja Gaiden 2. Killing enemies and bosses that gave you trouble before with your overpowered character is always fun. Also any shmup, as beating the game the first time is just the beginning.

#38 Posted by Everyones_A_Critic (6298 posts) -

Resident Evil 5 and the Dead Rising games are a lot of fun after you beat them, since you can go back with your current stats/weapons and kick ass all over the place.

#39 Posted by Jeust (10644 posts) -
@valrog said:
" I hear Nier really opens up once you complete it once.  Also, Borderlands on second playthrough. "
Nier opens up after finishing it once, because you'll unlock extra cut-scenes and other bonuses that deepens the story and changes it.  
#40 Posted by Djeffers03 (2545 posts) -

I'd probably say halo. It's fun to jump in on Co-op and play super aggressively. 

#41 Posted by valrog (3671 posts) -
@Jeust said:
" @valrog said:
" I hear Nier really opens up once you complete it once.  Also, Borderlands on second playthrough. "
Nier opens up after finishing it once, because you'll unlock extra cut-scenes and other bonuses that deepens the story and changes it.   "
That's... Good, right?
#42 Posted by mutha3 (4985 posts) -

The World Ends with You

Huge amounts of post game content.

#43 Posted by nickux (1385 posts) -

While I liked the story quite a bit, I also enjoyed roaming the Capital Wasteland long after completing the quests in Fallout 3. Me and Faux just mowing shit away as I worked to complete 100% of the side missions. Getting all the Nuka Cola Quantum, storming into bunkers, it was all so much fun. 

#44 Posted by cnlmullen (900 posts) -

Messing around in Metal Gear Solid (1, 2 or 3) with Stealth Camouflage is always a blast.

#45 Posted by Jeust (10644 posts) -
@valrog said:
" @Jeust said:
" @valrog said:
Nier opens up after finishing it once, because you'll unlock extra cut-scenes and other bonuses that deepens the story and changes it.   "
That's... Good, right? "
Yep! It is awesome, because of it. 
#46 Posted by Ksaw (343 posts) -

Batman Arkham Asylum. Had a lot of fun going back and finishing up the riddler stuff and completing the combat challenges.

#47 Posted by TheGremp (2064 posts) -

When I was 10 or so, I played Custom Robo to death.  Beat the game, played multiplayer all the time with friends, and beat every tournament in the postgame section.  Playing it after the story had ended was probably my favorite part, because the tournaments were actually challenging. 

Man, that game was awesome.

#48 Posted by SteamPunkJin (1286 posts) -

Dragon Quest IX - The game really starts once you beat the main plot line.

#49 Posted by ProfessorEss (7362 posts) -
Just Cause 2. After I beat it I put it back on the shelf to play a number of other games that were piled up in my backlog. I always planned to get back to it but never did - until a week ago. I don't know what convinced me to finally pop it back in, but I did, and I'm more hooked than ever.