#1 Posted by RedCream (704 posts) -

So this idea has been on my mind for days now and I just want to blurt it out.

"Cyberpunk Megaman: Action-RPG"

My concept is that you play as X or Rockman Volnutt in a cyberpunk world where you are part of a special team of Robotic Humanoids who fight terrorists (Dr. Wily, bosses from different Megaman games over the years) or whatever. Robotic Humanoids are shunned by the society like the X-Men and this of course is part of the narrative as Megaman questions his very identity. Space pirates like Tiesel, Tron Bonne and Servbots (which will touch on the subject of slavery) as well as Dr. Light and Colonel is also an integral part of the story. Side story missions with Proto Man, Zero and Roll are also available. Also Tron Bonne and Roll are romantic options that can be pursued for steamy robotic humanoid love-making ala Mass Effect.

Now that that is out of the way, what relatively harmless games would you like to see have a gritty iteration?

#2 Edited by crusader8463 (14412 posts) -

I would like to see a Persona game with adults instead of kids. Especially if it means they can talk about adult issues in a grown up world. A group of friends trying to deal with grown up stuff like keeping their job, dealing with family, wife/husband, kids, and all that stuff while doing the whole persona stuff on the side could be interesting.

#3 Posted by BlastProcessing (912 posts) -

Blinx: The Time Sweeper. Let there be some dark and messed up ramifications for the constant manipulation of time.

#4 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

@crusader8463 said:

I would like to see a Persona game with adults instead of kids. Especially if it means they can talk about adult issues in a grown up world. A group of friends trying to deal with grown up stuff like keeping their job, dealing with family, wife/husband, kids, and all that stuff while doing the whole persona stuff on the side could be interesting.

That sounds awesome. Why is this not a thing?

#5 Posted by crusader8463 (14412 posts) -

@Ravenlight said:

@crusader8463 said:

Because it's anime too and anime loves the whole hero kids thing. It's one of the big reasons I'm not into anime as much as I used to be. It's just hard for me to relate to a lot of the stuff because I'm not a kid anymore. Some day we might get it. Here's hoping Persona 5 does that, but from what I have seen it looks like it's just more kids.

#6 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (5235 posts) -

Remember we almost got a steampunk Batman game.

#7 Posted by Scrawnto (2434 posts) -

Beach volley ball can get pretty gritty.

#8 Posted by ProfessorEss (7281 posts) -

Viva Pinata: Big Trouble in Little Paradise.

#9 Edited by Fredchuckdave (5339 posts) -

The only games that I think could benefit from attempting to be "gritty" are games where their present aesthetic doesn't work out or is too generic; similarly those few gritty games that are actually competent don't really need a different rendition.

#10 Posted by tyler1285 (172 posts) -

@crusader8463: Whoah, what exactly have you seen? I totally agree that the next will be teenagers too.

#11 Posted by Yummylee (21254 posts) -

I think there's already more than enough 'grit' in videogames, and given past examples, gritting up a video game franchise rarely ever tends to fly with the fans or the critics.

Although I wouldn't mind some of this...

#12 Posted by crusader8463 (14412 posts) -

@tyler1285: I just recall seeing what was supposed to be box art or some character sketches a long time ago if memory servers. It just looked like more of the same teen stuff. I can't recall now where I seen it, but even if it was fake I will honestly be surprised if it's anything but another group of teens.

#13 Posted by Nictel (2380 posts) -

Metroid. Opposite of what we got with Other M.

#14 Posted by RVonE (4603 posts) -

Kirby. He eats people.

#15 Posted by Demoskinos (14562 posts) -

I want to see Donkey Kong as a strung out meth addict.

#16 Posted by ThePhantomStranger (353 posts) -

@crusader8463 said:

You know depending on the length of the game I could see a Persona 5 starting out with High School kids and then aging several years over the course of a long campaign ending at their mid to late 20s. Any more then that might be a bit to much for any writing staff considering you'd be going through each day.

Hell even that might be asking to much.

#17 Posted by Christoffer (1758 posts) -

As a pc gamer I would rather see games get more cutesy. We get nothing but dark and dirty grit.

Maybe Dungeon Defenders could use a slightly less cartoony look (just a pinch, I don't want The Witcher: Dungeon Defender)

#18 Posted by JZ (2125 posts) -

Isn't prince of persia the warrior within the first game to do the whole dark middle chapter thing?

#19 Posted by Apparatus_Unearth (3105 posts) -

@TheManWithNoPlan said:

We did?

#20 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

@Apparatus_Unearth said:

@TheManWithNoPlan said:

We did?

Yes, and it would have been glorious... ;(

Also, god no. Making things like Megaman and Sonic gritty? Totally awful idea. It can't be based on bright, neon colored little boys/animals. They'd have to change so damn much that it wouldn't resemble the original source material, or they'd go half way with some things, but then keep too many of the gaudy, 8 bit color scheme things and it'd be a mess of goofy grit.

See: Old school wolverine costumes in new school wolverine games.

#21 Posted by Pr1mus (3811 posts) -

@JZ said:

Isn't prince of persia the warrior within the first game to do the whole dark middle chapter thing?

That would be Super Mario Bros. 2. Once you go on the other side of those doors it's all dark and shit.

#22 Posted by StarvingGamer (8000 posts) -
#23 Posted by Apparatus_Unearth (3105 posts) -

Can't really think of anything. The gritty shit we have now I feel is good, and I'm not really into making non-dark stuff dark.

#24 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11477 posts) -

@crusader8463 said:

@Ravenlight said:

@crusader8463 said:

Because it's anime too and anime loves the whole hero kids thing. It's one of the big reasons I'm not into anime as much as I used to be. It's just hard for me to relate to a lot of the stuff because I'm not a kid anymore. Some day we might get it. Here's hoping Persona 5 does that, but from what I have seen it looks like it's just more kids.

I think Persona in a college setting would be pretty awesome, but I can't imagine them going much further than that. As you mentioned, it would be a bit too far from the whole "High School Anime" thing that is the core of Persona 3 and 4.

In all reality, I don't think we need anything grittified. The opposite, if anything. So basically what I want is Dark Souls, but with a bunch of rainbows and light bloom.