• 65 results
#1 Posted by benspyda (2032 posts) -

What games have you been playing that you could never really get a handle on the mechanics until it just clicked and you fell in love with the game.

I was playing Dragon's Crown and mostly struggling to understand how I should be using the Amazon's moveset, the class I decided to go with, but then it just "clicked" and I've been addicted to the game since. This was a good 10+ hours into the game.

Demon Souls was the biggest one for me as that took me about 30 hours to get a handle on it but once I did it was night and day. I've put 100s hours into Demons Souls and Dark Souls since. Perhaps it's something to do with Japanese games not explaining the mechanics that well.

#2 Posted by TruthTellah (8721 posts) -

Animal Crossing: New Leaf.

I didn't really "get" the game until a day or two into it. Now... I'm playing it right now. ha.

#3 Edited by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Phantom Brave's the only one that immediately comes to mind. Took me a while to figure out how the ability system worked.

#4 Edited by benspyda (2032 posts) -

I didn't really "get" the game until a day or two into it. Now... I'm playing it right now. ha.

I can't say I entirely get that game yet but I think it has something to do with making money money money. The whole town made me feel bad when I hadn't played for over a month. They better get used to it lol.

#5 Posted by falserelic (5395 posts) -

It took me about a year for me to enjoy this game. When it first came out I was beyond disappointed. It lacked pretty much everything that I like about duke3d, but after playing alot of boring generic shooters that year. One day I just decided to give it another chance and I enjoyed it for what it is.

#6 Posted by TruthTellah (8721 posts) -

@benspyda said:
@truthtellah said:

I can't say I entirely get that game yet but I think it has something to do with making money money money. The whole town made me feel bad when I hadn't played for over a month. They better get used to it lol.

Well, I've enjoyed it quite a bit even if I might stop eventually. I'm pretty sure I've put over 100 hours into it so far.

As far as money goes, yeah, things get expensive, but if you farm those bugs, you're golden.

#7 Edited by ArtisanBreads (3789 posts) -

I was struggling to think of something for this.

I think my best answer is Ninja Gaiden (Xbox game). Through the beginning I was just getting my ass kicked and scraping by but by the time I got a ways into the city I started to figure the game out. Got quite good at it and there is no finer "character action" game, in my opinion.

#8 Edited by Raethen (180 posts) -

The only one I can think of is The Binding of Isaac. I had put a couple of hours into it here or there, but it never really clicked for me until I watched someone play it on a stream. I now have 100 hours in the game, and I am about 70% through getting the platinum god achievement (unlocking all items, pickups, secrets). I don't know If I will do that with this release though, as Rebirth comes out early next year.

#9 Posted by mosespippy (4106 posts) -

Mirror's Edge is one. I was basically done the single player once by the time I actually started to enjoy it. Then I started the Time Trials and Speed Runs and, man, that game is great when you know how to not stop moving.

Another one is Warhawk. I was playing in top tier clans in that game. Me and a number of my clan mates had something click at around the 300 hour mark and we got a lot better suddenly and then the same thing happened again at around the 500 hour mark. And it's not like I was bad before that; I was in the top .5% from week one and I might still be.

On the reverse side, three games that I disliked after a couple good hours at the beginning are Brutal Legend, Red Faction: Guerrilla and Saints Row The Third. I think a lot of the content in those games is filler that isn't very fun or good in any way.

#10 Posted by 49th (2722 posts) -

MGS games in general. It always takes me a few hours to get used to the mechanics and how to play before I really start to enjoy myself. This happened in 2, 3, and somewhat in 4 for me.

#11 Edited by benspyda (2032 posts) -

@falserelic: I'm having the same thing with Resident Evil 6, I'm actually really enjoying it for what it is, a dumb action movie. I love dumb action movies!

#12 Posted by GrantHeaslip (1560 posts) -

I spent the first few sessions of Fire Emblem: Awakening struggling to find enjoyment, but somewhere around Chapter 8-10 things started clicking. It took a little while for the characters to feel like my characters, and for me to get a handle on how far I could stretch without needlessly losing a character.

#13 Posted by csl316 (8365 posts) -

Metal Gear Rising. I didn't really get the depth of the mechanics until I needed them in the later boss fights. Made my playthrough on the next difficulty way more fun and interesting.

That's why I tend to start games on harder difficulties. Forces you to really dig into the combat so you get the most out of it. I started Muramasa: Rebirth last week and the same thing happened. Took a boss fight around 3 hours in to really start understanding that there's more to it than hack and/or slash.

#14 Posted by bybeach (4772 posts) -

Fallout 3. It took 2 tries. It wasn't difficult or anything, but I really got to enjoy it the second time I reached Nuke-town, whatever town that was. The last Fallout game I just plain got bored with 2/3d's through.

#15 Posted by nevalis (75 posts) -

Vagrant Story for me. Trying to figure out the mechanics when I first tried it made the game unplayable. Then I read how most of that could be ignored by following a few simple rules. After that, it was immensely enjoyable and I finally "got" why so many praise it.

#16 Posted by Turtlebird95 (2343 posts) -

Fallout 3 would be like my golden example for this. Absolutely hated it when I first played it, then I found out I was playing it the wrong way. Started a new playthrough, and about 5 hours later I was totally hooked.

#17 Posted by awesomeusername (4168 posts) -

I would say Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward. I played the demo a couple months back and didn't find it very interesting. Then it came to PS+ and I played about the first hour and still didn't care. After a few weeks, I decided to get into it again. Didn't put it down for the next 30 hours. I love that games story. Every time something new in the story happened I was exploding.

#18 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@49th said:

MGS games in general. It always takes me a few hours to get used to the mechanics and how to play before I really start to enjoy myself. This happened in 2, 3, and somewhat in 4 for me.

Repeatedly? Don't those games use the same mechanics again and again?

#19 Posted by Elwoodan (807 posts) -

Tales of Graces, the combat system felt really dumbed down in the first act, but once I started unlocking 'B' arts and really digging into combos it was impossible to put down.

#20 Edited by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

Dark Souls. Fumbled around for like six hours, uninstalled it, reinstalled it, fumbled around some more, got it, 120 hours later: S-rank.

#21 Edited by Capum15 (4857 posts) -

Saints Row 2, mostly because I ignored the side activities because they didn't seem that interesting to me. This meant yes, I was grinding out respect by just killing gang members for hours. Kind of terrible, right?

Started a brand new game and decided to give them a try, and it instantly became one of my favorite games. The activities themselves were great, and so were the unlocks, like the Pimp Cane Shotgun. Not to mention the incredibly easy respect. I just wish that the PC version had better audio quality because the current quality sucks. The CPU speed mod and Gentlemen of the Row make all the other issues pretty much non-existent, but that audio...

Edit: This all happened on the console version by the way. I loved the DLCs, and hate that they're not on PC. Got the PC version during a bundle, though I forget which.

Mirror's Edge has the same effect. I kinda didn't like it at first, mostly because I was terrible at it, but one day I decided to just play it and the next thing I know I'm finishing the game.

#22 Edited by project343 (2816 posts) -
#23 Posted by believer258 (11776 posts) -

SMT Nocturne.

I didn't really start to like it until a few hours in, and it's pretty much become one of my favorite games that I played this year.

I find that when a game, or anything really, hooks me immediately, I lose interest after a playthrough or two. The games that take some time to really get into seem to be the ones that I could sink fifty hours into. Forza Horizon and Torchlight 2 are other examples.

#24 Edited by alanm26v5 (443 posts) -

I had this experience with Skyrim. Bought it in 2011 because of how good everyone said it was, and played up to the first dragon and really regretted it. Hated the feel of combat and the UI and systems. Didn't try again until six months ago, and that led to me putting in about 200 hours over 2 months. I think ultimately it was a better experience due to the official and unofficial patches and being able to roll right into the DLC. I probably won't go back to it for a long time but it did make me get Fallout 3 during the summer sale. I haven't tried it yet, waiting for the right time.

#25 Edited by Clonedzero (4198 posts) -

Civilization 5.

I got it for cheap on some steam sale i'm pretty sure, twas my first civ game too, so i had no clue what i was doing. For like 4 hours i was like "what am i even doing in this game? I guess i should build this stuff and talk to this country, this is fucking boring though" Another 4 hours pass that same day and I'm like "oh god its like midnight, i gotta get up early tomorrow.....just one more turn". Three more hours later "oh shit this game is addicting!"

#26 Posted by benspyda (2032 posts) -

Civilization 5.

I got it for cheap on some steam sale i'm pretty sure, twas my first civ game too, so i had no clue what i was doing. For like 4 hours i was like "what am i even doing in this game? I guess i should build this stuff and talk to this country, this is fucking boring though" Another 4 hours pass that same day and I'm like "oh god its like midnight, i gotta get up early tomorrow.....just one more turn". Three more hours later "oh shit this game is addicting!"

I played a little civ 4 back in the day but never got that hooked. I bought civ 5 when it came out and have yet to play more than 2 hours. I got really into Civ Rev on the DS so I know I can enjoy this type of game but I having trouble breaking into it. By the time I get into it, I bet Civ 6 will be out and the cycle will continue.

#27 Posted by ArtisanBreads (3789 posts) -

@49th said:

Repeatedly? Don't those games use the same mechanics again and again?

No not really.

They all play similarly of course but each game has its own quirks and twists, whether that be the kind of enemies you face, the mechanics, once they added camo, etc etc.

I always would enjoy it from the get go but there was always a learning curve of sorts.

#28 Posted by MetalBaofu (1365 posts) -

Blue Dragon comes to mind. I remember not liking it much at all, but I stuck with it and really started to enjoy it. So long ago I can't really remember any specific details about why I wasn't liking it or what exactly happened to make me change my stance.

#29 Posted by HISCORE (8 posts) -

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
It felt broken 5 minutes in. I'm like 20 hours in and it still feels broken, but I'm hooked somehow.

#30 Posted by Verendus (348 posts) -

Halo multiplayer, at first when we played I thought it "took forever to kill someone" and that person who had better weapon always won.

Ended up playing over 400 hours of Halo 3, god knows how many hours of Halo 2.

#31 Posted by LackingSaint (1783 posts) -

I was on the verge of abandoning The Last of Us, but once I reached Bill's Town I started getting more comfortable and from there it's become my favourite game of the year so far. I think it's the way the game front-loads the most frustrating sections right in the beginning, and gives Ellie a difficult arc by starting out borderline unlikable. In retrospect, I admire the latter but still really hate the former.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is another good example for me. Played about 5 hours of Shadow of Chernobyl, couldn't really stand it. Was wavering between bored out of my mind to intensely frustrated over the combat. Then I gave Call of Pripyat a shot and couldn't put it down for weeks. I think a lot of that has to do with forced combat; I had a lot more sections in SoC where it felt like the game was saying "get good at killing dudes or you can't progress", where in CoP it felt like I was truly a survivor in a wasteland.

#32 Posted by mandude (2669 posts) -

Took me a while to figure out just what the fuck Mount and Blade was. Shortly thereafter, it was affecting my health.

#33 Edited by Christoffer (1786 posts) -

I had to put some serious time into Disgaea before it hooked me. I bought it on a recommendation from a friend and wouldn't have continued if not for the promise that it would get better. It did.

#34 Posted by TobbRobb (4589 posts) -

Dark Souls and DotA pretty much, those are just games that HAVE to "click" with you, because they aren't obvious at all at a glance.

#35 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -

Monster Hunter Freedom Unite most recently. Took approximately 10 hours to get into. That said, I've not got it in me to beat the first Elder Dragon monster, though I still got a good 70 hours out of it though - good fun, and if it had online capabilities and an active community, I'd also have powered through this barrier.

I've started MGS Peace Walker on Vita yesterday. That'll take some time *getting into* for sure, I'll say. It's just so deliciously corny. That alone is already worth the hassle of getting to know it well enough.

#36 Posted by Marokai (2867 posts) -

I had the very classic experience of playing Demon's Souls for a few days, not really "getting it" and finally reaching an encounter I absolutely could not get past. After a couple hours of being furious, I finally snapped, popped the disc out, put it in the case, and just as I was about to put it on the shelf and be done with it, it dawned on me that I should've been approaching the encounter in a completely different way, and so I did, beat it, and it felt great.

#37 Edited by eskimo (475 posts) -

Dark Souls, except for me it was a good 15 hours in, and with an 18-24 month gap between when I started and when I came back to it.

Thats not even including Demon's Souls which I don't feel ever really clicked with me.

Thats probably 30-40 hours before the Souls games clicked. Now I can't get enough....

#38 Posted by BulletproofMonk (2720 posts) -

Demon's Souls. That Tower Knight fight was when I got it.

#39 Posted by Vermisean (154 posts) -

Persona 2.

I beat P4 Golden when it came out as my first Persona title, then recently played through P3P, and figured I might as well rock P2.

After about 5 hours I had finally gotten my head around auto battles and negotiations and it is totally worth it.

Slower paced and waaaay different than the later Persona games, but I can already tell this story is my favorite.

#40 Posted by Svenzon (718 posts) -

Dark Souls, definitely. I bought the game when it came out and kinda hated it for the following two months. It just sat there on my shelf and I considered trading it in for something several times, but for some reason I didn't. Then suddenly I gained new confidence and decided to give it another shot, during which I finally beat the Bell Gargoyles. After getting over that hurdle, I started loving it.

Demon's Souls probably counts too, since I didn't go back to and beat that game until about a week after I beat Dark Souls.

#41 Edited by 34f3ecwdc3 (162 posts) -

Mass Effect, I felt in love with it immediately and that made me go deeper into the mechanics.

Usually, most of the games they either click with me right away or not.

#42 Edited by Baillie (4075 posts) -

Mass Effect. Thought it was shit for a long time.

#43 Posted by stalefishies (331 posts) -

I'm playing through La Mulana now, and it definitely took a bit of struggling to get used to the way that game's jump works (especially falling off edges). But now that I'm past that, I'm very glad I stuck with it.

#44 Posted by Vanick (325 posts) -

I've seen a couple people mention it already but for me Fallout 3 is the first thing that comes to mind. I played the first 8-10 hours twice before I finally started to enjoy it but when it finally clicked I did everything I could in the game and played all the dlc.

#45 Posted by Confirm4Crit (140 posts) -

Crusader Kings II did that to me.

It was one part "I straight up don't get how to play this game", and another "Why would anyone find any of this enjoyable?".

And once I saw how deep and precise it got, I was hooked.

I still wonder if I know how to play it though.

On another note, one game that I keep forcing my self to click with but never can is The Witcher 1. I finished the second, but I just...can't. Idky :(

#46 Edited by Blommer4 (193 posts) -

Last of Us. It took me a while to finish it because the whole game really didn't "click" for me until around half way through. It was so repetitive and boring. Some story - open area where you try to stealth and get into a firefight if you fail - progress a little ahead - more open area sequenses or story and repeat. The story wasn't enough for me to like the game at first, but for some point the combat and everything just clicked for me and it got somehow easier, but also so much more exciting. The story ended up being very cool, but imo the game is still really overrated. I did love it though, after some time.

#47 Posted by spraynardtatum (2798 posts) -

Hotline Miami. I was really bad at that game until one day it just clicked.

#48 Posted by crusader8463 (14419 posts) -

I didn't fall in love with it, but I played Red Dead Redemption for about 4-5 hours before I gave up in boredom. I put it back on my shelf and then like 4-5 months later I put it in on a whim and ended up enjoying it enough to keep playing all the way to the end. Not sure what it was about the second time that allowed me to power through it. Must have just been in a state of mind that time that made me more willing to fight with playing a shooter with a controller instead of a MKB.

Another is the Fallout 3/NV games. I hated every second of FO3 because it was a broken buggy POS that would literally crash to desktop every 10-15 min when I tried to play it. I gave the series another shot with NV and I really enjoyed my time with it. I don't know if it was because of a different dev, if it was just a different enough story that I found interesting this time, or if it was just because that game didn't crash to desktop every 10-15 min but I played it from start to end and had a good time with it.

#49 Posted by VaddixBell (237 posts) -

Dark Souls

I rented it and played it for a while, I remember it taking me to a long time to get to Sen's Fortress and pushed through it and then eventually O+S. After that, I couldn't find anything that I found "fun". I just found it difficult for difficult's sake and returned it. Left a while and came back to it about six months later with the PTD edition which meant I couldn't reuse my save and then playing though it, it all just clicked. The subtle storytelling with no long exposition, the amazing and terrifying atmosphere and the beautiful environments (jaw dropped w/ the area outside of Duke Archives) coupled with a great combat system and brilliant RPG elements. Amazing game but I understand why people don't like it.

Fallout 3

I didn't like the movement, it felt too much of a PC game when I was playing it and I found it very "janky". I got to nuketown and thought, I really wasn't enjoying it anymore. Stopped and then about a week or so later - came back and spent 80 hours in my save and platinumed it. I then replayed it with a female character to see how the interactions would unfold.

#50 Posted by Kr7stof (74 posts) -

Torchlight 2.

The first 2 to 3u i had to drag myself thru the game. I didn't like it at all. Maybe because i played diablo 3 so much i don't now.

But now, 8u in, i love this game. It just clicked. This is now my go to game.. till the expansion of diablo 3 comes out:)