BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By BoG

Short stuff-
What games do you think everyon should play? I thought about this, and made a list. You should too! I want my list (and everyone elses) not to simply tell what your favorite titles are, but to show what you think must be played to understand that genre and gaming as a whole. I ask that you also make a list, justify your choices, and follow my ideas.

TL;DR version-
Yesterday, things were exceptionally slow at my place of work. I found the store at which I am employed was excessively clean, all things were in great order, and there was absolutely nothing to occupy my time. So, my thoughts went to video games by default. I began pondering this question: What are those games that everyone simply MUST play? There are books everyone has to read, such as "Huckleberry Finn" or "To Kill a Mockingbird," and, to a lesser degree, movies that everyone must view. Among those who consider themselves avid readers or movie goers, these and other works are even more important.
Well, what about for us, the gamers? What is our "Scarlet Letter," our "Star Wars?"
In my thoughts, I came up with a list of what, in my opinion, everyone should play. I don't care if you hate first person shooters or RPGs, these are games you simply must experience.
First, I will explain how I am formatting my list. I decided if I simply listed the games that everyone should play, it would turn out to be a list of my favorites, which I didn't want, nor did I want to neglect any particular genre. So, I made up my list of that one game from various major genres, plus two other games that just needed to be there. I want my list (and everyone elses) not to simply tell what your favorite titles are, but to show what you think must be played to understand that genre and gaming as a whole. I ask that you also make a list, justify your choices, and follow my ideas. So, without further ado, here is my list:
Action: Metal Gear Solid 2 - It was very difficult to narrow the choice for this one, as action is such a broad category. Metal gear Solid 2, however, is the perfect candidate. It mixes fast gunplay and stealth, has great boss battles, and a variety of play styles. The game covers so many styles of action gaming, and is an absolute blast.

Action-Adventure: Shadow of the Colossus - of all the possible fanboy that could shine through on the list, this is it. Shadow of the Colossus is brilliant. It is an epic tale, a great adventure with an atmosphere that makes the player feel that they are exploring an unknown, forbidden land. Each colossi is a sight to behold, and each battle a great feat. No other game captures the emotion, the suspense, and glory of adventure like SotC.
Adventure: Grim Fandango - Originally, I wanted to fill this spot with Snatcher, and obviously, that changed. My experience in the adventure genre is limited to Snatcher and recent DS adventure titles, and I realized that I have missed the best the genre has to offer. I may be making a mistake, but from what I hear, Grim Fandango is the premier adventure title, and I plan to play it very soon.
First Person Shooter - Half Life: Among the easiest choices for me. No other FPS is as intense, as groundbreaking, or as well made as Half-Life and its sequel. It is that simple.
Role Playing: Final Fantasy IX- I'm sure half of your jaws just dropped, and I will receive plenty of negative comments for this, but I am confident in my choice. FFIX is a culmination of Final Fantasy. It captures the spirit of the older titles, and gives it the technology of the modern. FFIX has a touching, twisting story, great characters, and tight RPG gameplay. It may not be the best Final Fantasy, but it is a great game, and the most representative of RPGs as a whole.
Puzzle- Tetris: Oh, come on. Do I need to justify this one? Without Tetris, we would not have falling blocks, which occur in a high number of puzzle games we now have.
Turn based Strategy - Front Mission: FM is not, and never will be, as big as the Fire Emlems or Final Fantasy tactics games, but it is an absolutely brilliant title that combines attributes of all of those games. There is a great amount of customization, plenty of great missions and a variety of gameplay objectives. It is more complex then Fire Emblem, and simpler then FFT. I think it is a great game, and great representative of the genre.
RTS- Warhammer: Dawn of War: My experience with the game is limited, but enough for me to know this is the correct choice. The warhammer RTS games are deeper and more involved then any Blizzard title, and take the best parts of genre, and blend them into one excellent game. There are tons of units, tons of options, and some great features that Blizzard has traditionally neglected. Warhammer is a great title to showcase real time strategy.
Platformer - Super Mario World - This one was a difficult decision. I knew it would be a Mario game, though I considered others, but which one? The second game was to odd, the third I felt had bit sized levels which just would be a good representation, Yoshi's Island (my favorite) is more complex then I desired for the spot, and the 3D titles just didn't seem to fit. Super Mario bros. and World remained, and I went for the latter. Super Mario World is a magnificent title with great levels, plenty of variety, and tons of gameplay. If you want to understand the platformer genre, Mario World is the title to go to.
Survival-Horror: Resident Evil- I fought my self on this one, I really did, mostly over whether or not Eternal Darkness could qualify, but in the end, it is so much more then survival horror, so I decided RE was the best. I though about RE4, but it is more of an action game. RE with its puzzles, atmosphere, and plethora of piss your pants moments is a great Survival horror title. You really can't beat all of the elements included within, from herb mixing, creepy mansions, and zombies.
Sports: SSX 3 - I really felt I had to include this genre, so I didn't really put much thought into it. SSX 3 was awesome, so, yeah.

And now, my two wild card picks:
Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem - This one makes the list because it is by far the most brilliant story a video game has ever told, and it is presented in a fashion that absolutely no other form of media can even touch. The story, a fascinating tell spanning a millenia, is incredibly deep and well written, and absolutely no one can say other wise. The game has a great, creepy atmosphere, amazing characters... I could go on and on about the presentation. The game offers fun puzzles and edge-of your seat combat as well. You gotta play ED.
Braid - This last choice I debated with my self more then any other. Metal gear Solid, Metroid Prime, ICO, and some other of my favorite games of all time weren't on the list. I wanted them here, but I chose Braid. Why? Similar to ED above, the game is brilliant, well written and fun, and presented in a way no other media format can. The time travel aspect is done so masterfully adn the puzzles so well designed that everyone should play the game.

Well, I'm sure some of you hated the wall of text, but I really hope some discussion can get going.

Vaxadrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Vaxadrin

This should be in your blog.

atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3  Edited By atejas
Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By Randolph

You know guys, if you have no interest in a topic, you can simply press the back button and go take your pick of about forty others that may be to your liking.  Honestly, BoG, you guys should consider that disruptive posting and start handing out deletions and warnings for that, imo.  Anyway, I read your list, and I can't agree with picking Resident Evil.  It may have started the sub genre, but it didn't perfect it.  I feel like Siren: Blood Curse is a better survival horror title for providing a more tangible persistently creepy and immersive atmosphere.  RE uses BOO moments, sudden jolts.  I much prefer the approach of constant fear and feeling of impending doom that Fatal Frame, Siren, and Silent Hill utilize.  Besides that, a good list, but I didn't and still don't get the love for FF9.  It felt a tad short, and aside from Vivi, I didn't like the characters much.  The technical issues with the rampant slowdown and input lag in battle didn't help.

But FF9 seemed to be a tribute to long time fans, and I freely admit to being a FF7 newbie, so I guess it just wasn't for me.

Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Gizmo

Wonder if I can find RE1 on the internets...

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By mike
Vaxadrin said:
"This should be in your blog."

Actually I think it's perfect in General.  It's a discussion topic about games...imagine that.
Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By Black_Rose
Action-Adventure: - Okami, beautiful artistic masterpiece. I was gonna say Twilight Princess or any other Zelda, but everybody already played it.

Adventure: - Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaro's Treasure.

Turn based Strategy - Fire Emblem series. Why this was never popular outside of hardcore fans is beyond me.

Platformer - Kameo: Elements of Power. Still is my favorite 360 launch game

Survival-Horror: - Resident Evil 2. Again i was going to say RE4, but most people played it already, in my opinion Resi2 is the best of the first four games (1,2,3,0).

Sports: - Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3. Do i really need to say sometihng about this fantastic game?

Fighting: - Soul Calibur 2. Beautiful graphics, great gameplay and a crapton of game modes, this is the best in the series.
Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Randolph
MB said:
"Vaxadrin said:

Actually I think it's perfect in General.  It's a discussion topic about games...imagine that."
Sneaking "Games" in between General and Discussion would go a long way to clarifying that this isn't Off Topic lite.  I know you guys may not want to so blatantly rip of GS, but GGD isn't trademarked, and at least two other sites use that as their general gaming forums name.  Just an idea. (Gaming Lounge wouldn't be a bad forum name either)
BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By BoG

Actually, the intention of this topic is to promote discussion, not simply state what I think. I want people to post their own ideas, as well as criticize my own. A blog is not the proper format for that kind of discussion, and a forum is.
As for simply deleting their posts, I'd love to. I think MB, the other mods and my self will have to discuss those sorts of things some time.
Regarding RE, you may be right. As I said, i fought my self over the choice, but after reading your statement, I realized the truly limited experience I have with the genre. I haven't played the Silent Hill games, siren, condemned, or other popular SH titles. Of course, I did feel that the atmosphere provided general creepiness to the whole experience. Especially in the gamecube remake, things looked genuinely scary. You can't talk bad about some boo moments, either. I'm not the only one who couldn't sleep thanks to zombie dogs jumping through windows, I know it.
I also forgot fighting games, for which I would nominate Street Fighter 3: Third Strike
Looking at Rose's list, one thing pops out at me, and that is Okami. I felt that Okami was an extremely dumbed down adventure game, with your navi-like cricket ruining every single opportunity the game gave you to think. I also felt that the way battles were done was unnecessary, and slowed down the pace of the game. I didn't like going to a seperate screen to battle in a game that wasn't an RPG, didn't feel like and RPG... it was just unnatural. I loved the art style, absolutely gorgeous, but it just didn't hold up.

atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By atejas
MB said:
"Vaxadrin said:

Actually I think it's perfect in General.  It's a discussion topic about games...imagine that."
The problem is, this beggars a flamewar. All it'll take is for one person to say Halo:CE under shooter and bam.
Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By Black_Rose

Well yeah, i agree the random battles were annoying, thats why i tried to avoid them as much as possible.

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Randolph

I have to agree on Okami, it was more fun to look at than to play.  The Gamecube "REmake" was pretty badass, and definitely upped the tension and immersion, if you mean to say that version is a contender for one of the greatest games in the sub genre, well then, I can't argue with you as much about it.  The atmosphere had a more tangible persistent fear to it, thanks in no small part to the presence of the crimson head zombies.  As for Siren, you should totally try it, it's a badass game, and the first survival horror game to not only implement stealth, but do it really, really, good.  Also, Silent Hill 2, the peak of that series, is sold used at gamestop for about five bucks.  Can be played on your PS3 if you have a PS2 BC unit. (as is Fatal Frame 2)

But yeah, Third Strike still stands as the best 2D fighter ever made, possibly best fighter period. (Jeff is oh so wrong about SF3)

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By BoG
Randolph said:
"I have to agree on Okami, it was more fun to look at than to play.  The Gamecube "REmake" was pretty badass, and definitely upped the tension and immersion, if you mean to say that version is a contender for one of the greatest games in the sub genre, well then, I can't argue with you as much about it.  The atmosphere had a more tangible persistent fear to it, thanks in no small part to the presence of the crimson head zombies.  As for Siren, you should totally try it, it's a badass game, and the first survival horror game to not only implement stealth, but do it really, really, good.  Also, Silent Hill 2, the peak of that series, is sold used at gamestop for about five bucks.  Can be played on your PS3 if you have a PS2 BC unit. (as is Fatal Frame 2)

But yeah, Third Strike still stands as the best 2D fighter ever made, possibly best fighter period. (Jeff is oh so wrong about SF3)"
I'll have to track down SH2, I still have my PS2, so it is not a problem at all, and find siren as well. Of course, I think I will wait a month, and play them on Halloween. I'll have to look into dead space as well. Also, what are your thoughts about Eternal Darkness as survival horror? As I said, I simply couldn't decide, as it was so much more. I was scared the entire time I played, and jumped plenty, but in the end, it went above and beyond simple horror.
As for SF3, I decided upon that based on the fact that it is excellent, and covers what fighting games are about. Personally, I prefer KoF, but the team fighting aspect is a feature exclusive to the series, and while I like it, it simply isn't something you need to play to grasp what the genre is about.
I'd also like to expand on what I said about Mario World, as I have thought about it further. While I still feel platformer is a distinct genre, I think that as technology blurs the genre lines, grasping the platformer becomes more difficult. I feel the seperation between a 3rd person action title and a platformer is what the player is tasked with, but consider how close they are coming these days. Ratchet and Clank, classified as a platformer, could get away as a 3rd person action title any day. I chose a 2D mario game because you must know the origins of the platformer, where the enemies are as much obstacles as a large pit. The emphasis is on jumping, precision movements, and I feel that the 2D titles are a necessary introduction to the genre.

As for the criticism regarding this topic, I think we can (and I will try) to keep it from becoming a flame war. I actually considered Halo for my list, as it was a huge step for console the console FPS, and was a huge influence on multiplayer for all FPS titles.
atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By atejas

Fair enough, apologies for semi-derail.

As far as my list goes, i would have to say.....hmmmm....
I dunno, it's midnight here.
Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#15  Edited By Arkthemaniac

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, Morrowind, and Yoshi's Island. That's it.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#16  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

My games-

Dune 2 - Want to know where any RTS basically evolved from?  Take a look here.
Zork - The start for many of us adventure gamers.
Grand Theft Auto 3 - Truly started the whole sandbox game craze.
Wolfenstein 3d - Before Doom, there was Wolfie 3D.
Legend of Zelda - Started the entire action-RPG genre, or at least brought it to a much wider audience.
Super Mario Bros. - THE defining game of the 80's.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#17  Edited By crunchUK

what happens if you can't stand RTS or TBS? and like one in 10 RPGs?

still i think shenmue shouldbe on that list

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By BoG
crunchUK said:
"what happens if you can't stand RTS or TBS? and like one in 10 RPGs?

still i think shenmue shouldbe on that list"
Like I said, I made my list of games that everyone should play. You can't hate an RPG if you never play one, and some games you just need to experience even if it isn't your genre of choice. Maybe you should try out some of our suggestions for those strategy games, you never know what could happen.
crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By crunchUK

oh i do. frnakly i simply cannot stand 10 mintues of them. oh and why no racing column? ur acting like... f-zero x and MSR never existed

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Randolph

Honestly, I disliked ED.  It didn't cut it for me from a gameplay or atmosphere perspective.  The presentation was outdated even for it's time, and the gameplay could be boiled down to "hack off arms, hack off head, finish, cast a spell, rinse and repeat".  I know a lot of people who think of it is one of the greatest games they've played though, so it has to be doing something right. (I just assume it's their "Shenmue", you know?) Just not for me.  As for Siren, the first one on PS2 was actually pretty bad, I reccomend you think about downloading the first episode pack of Blood Curse off the PSN, it's a superior reimagining of that game that is simply much more playable.

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By BoG
crunchUK said:
"oh i do. frnakly i simply cannot stand 10 mintues of them. oh and why no racing column? ur acting like... f-zero x and MSR never existed"
Oops, that is a mistake. I'm not huge into racing games, however, so I don't really know what to nominate. What racing game would you say is an absolute must-play?
Steve_C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Steve_C

Platformer - Sonic the Hedgehog 2 on the mega drive. For me that's the pinnacle of the sonic series. There's no messing around really, you control sonic and there's no crazy powerups apart from the classic ones, or other characters (tails plays exactly the same).

It blended parts of pure speed with trickier platforming parts that required skill without screwing up the pacing of the game. It also had multiple pathways to add some variety. The music was super awesome too. One of my childhood favourites.

I also prefered SMB. 3 (on the SNES)  to super mario world. I just couldn't get into it as much, and i had some serious love for the tanooki suit.

As for RPGs, i loved FF IX - it being my first FF game and brought me into RPG's. The first game to make me totally cry aswell. I prefer FF X though; i loved the sphere grid system and was a brave move to step away from the traditional character advancement system of levelling. I won't complain with your choice though, for the more traditional JRPGs, FF IX has the mechanics down perfectly and captures the spirit of the franchise like you said. My only gripe was the story taking a super wierd turn, and i didn't care much for the fourth disc. Killer atmosphere though.

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Randolph
BoG said:
"crunchUK said:
"oh i do. frnakly i simply cannot stand 10 mintues of them. oh and why no racing column? ur acting like... f-zero x and MSR never existed"
Oops, that is a mistake. I'm not huge into racing games, however, so I don't really know what to nominate. What racing game would you say is an absolute must-play?"
Rallisport Challenge.  No rally game since then has really had the kind of soul that game has.  Plus, it's still really fun, and the visuals hold up remarkably well.
BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By BoG
Randolph said:
"BoG said:
"crunchUK said:
Oops, that is a mistake. I'm not huge into racing games, however, so I don't really know what to nominate. What racing game would you say is an absolute must-play?"
Rallisport Challenge.  No rally game since then has really had the kind of soul that game has.  Plus, it's still really fun, and the visuals hold up remarkably well."
Oh, thank you for that reminder! I only owned an Xbox for a short period of time, but in that time I had Rallisport challenge, which I loved more then any other racing game I have played. Quite simply, it was a ton of fun.
As for Steve's reply, I'd say either Sonic 2 or Sonic CD were the best of the Sonic series. I absolutely loved CD, my favorite sonic. Mario World, as i said, had lengthier levels. I thought that 3 was too easy and too short in some areas, whereas World seemed to get level length and difficult perfect.
Now, with FFX (I will try as hard as I can to stay objective, as I HATED the game) I think part of the reason I would choose IX over X is the more traditional character building system. Yes, the sphere grid was a cool idea and influenced the license board, as well as other RPGs, the traditional system in IX is more representative of the genre as a whole.
Stevokenevo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Stevokenevo

Deus Ex and Shenmue.  I'd like to think they both still hold up well in the 'today'.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#26  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Dude, you have too much time on your hands to write all of that. Although I have that much time on my hands too, so here goes my massive list:

Who am I kidding, I'm too lazy to write something like that.

Steve_C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Steve_C

Well maybe you're like me. I can handle FFX, but i'm not keen on FFVIII, good story and music, but what the hell was that junction stuff about. I really didn't like the mechanics.

I thought the sphere grid was awesome though. It gives you a more linear path to begin with when starting out, getting abilities in a more traditional order, but then as you grow used to the game it becomes more flexible and you can better guide your character's development to your personal preference. My only problem is that characters aren't unique enough, since everyone can learn practically the same thing. The only other thing i wasn't keen on was the lack of importance in getting new weapons and other equipment, especially after FF IX where getting new equipment for abilites and stat boosts were important; i got so excited visitng new shops. I got over that though, and i prefered the focus on strategy during battles, instead of spamming Steiner every turn. It's my favourite battle system.

Also prefered FF X's story; i feel i can relate to the story and characters more - the voice acting only furthing that, but maybe it's somewhat circumstantial playing that at the age i did. Still, it's the most emotionally engaging game i've ever played.

I do feel like playing FF IX  now though, that game was so charming from the art direction to the dialogue. "Kweh!!!!"

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By crunchUK

well as for racing games i would probably put f-zero x and pgr 2. and i would put pilotwings 64 and perfect dark/goldeneye in there somwhere

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#29  Edited By BiggerBomb

I'm gunna have to say that this should be in your blog, BoG. Let's get a mod in here and lock this up tight.

jonnyp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By jonnyp

Amped 2 was the most solid snowboarding game I ever played, and if your into that I would highly recommend it.  THPS3 and SKATE are also mega solid.

Rainbow six Vegas 2 was really solid and I think it was overlooked due to the plethora of shooters that came out around the same time.  Great gunplay, good AI and a solid and addictive leveling system.  It's one of my favorite shooters.

Morrowind was a game I pumped an ungodly amount of hours into, and loved every second of it.  Although Oblivion definitely has more polish, I think morrowind still has something special about it that completely makes it worth suggesting. 

But my number one of all time:  Super Mario World for the SNES.  If I could re-live any one part of my childhood, it would be the times I spent playing that game.  Fuck I love that game.
sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#31  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

For racing, the original F-Zero, RC Pro Am, Gran Turismo, and Burnout 3 would all be great choices.  Perhaps San Francisco Rush, too, especially if you're including arcade games.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#32  Edited By jakob187

You don't have Dark Cloud 2 on there...

...that makes me sad.  =  (

Good list though, and props on the inclusion of the most amazing sports game ever, SSX 3.  I need to get back to work on that one day and beat some of these world scores.  Can't believe I got trumped on that shiz!
BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By BoG

Anyone else who says this should be in my blog will get their post deleted. We already established that it is a topic for discussion. I want you to say what you think of my list, make your own list, and discuss these games. I made a list as a conversation starter.

As a moderator, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that it is under my jurisdiction to determine what should be a blog, and as I am trying to promote discussion, this is appropriate for the forums.
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By jakob187

Bah, don't listen to them, BoG.  They just hatin' cause they ain't got red tags under they namez.

Besides, your list is das shit!
MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#35  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
BoG said:
"Anyone else who says this should be in my blog will get their post deleted. We already established that it is a topic for discussion. I want you to say what you think of my list, make your own list, and discuss these games. I made a list as a conversation starter.
As a moderator, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that it is under my jurisdiction to determine what should be a blog, and as I am trying to promote discussion, this is appropriate for the forums.
"
They're just being jerks because you're a moderator. I'd ban them all if I were you (but that's because I'd go mad with power if I was a moderator).
Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Randolph
Remember kids, defying internet authority figures is cruise control for cool.

Sparky_Buzzsaw said:
"For racing, the original F-Zero, RC Pro Am, Gran Turismo, and Burnout 3 would all be great choices.  Perhaps San Francisco Rush, too, especially if you're including arcade games."
Really depends on if you mean arcade racing, or open world.  Burnout 3 and Burnout Paradise are pretty radically different games, despite being from the same series.   Like RPGs and JRPGs, you know?  I'd rather say what I think is the best must play game in the JRPG genre, than lump two radically different games like Chrono Trigger and Morrowind in the same pile and try to put one over the other.  I definitely think that for the open world racers, Midnight Club 2: Dub Edition deserves a mention.  I still enjoy that game, though with all the improvements coming down the pipe, Paradise is edging it, slowly but surely.
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By jakob187

Man, I miss the hell out of some San Francisco Rush.  You know what else I miss?  Beetle Adventure Racing for N64.

Disgaeamad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Disgaeamad

Most games in the Touhou Project. They have great characters, music, and the bullet patterns are highly entertaining (although frustratingly difficult).

I'd definitely have to agree with your comment on FFIX, though. Well, other than "it's not the best Final Fantasy", which is a lie and you know it!

Discorsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Discorsi

Platformer:  SoTN or any good castlevania game in general

Card game:  Yu Gi oh  Fuck the haters

RPG:  Grandia or FF7 or Persona 2

Shooter:  Halo Ce was dope back in the day. 

Action Adventure:  God of War

Game taht everyone hates but you should still play:  A warriors title ;D

Yea I really like SotC.  Forced myself to beat it without a guide.  People who use guides are lame.  Only use them after you beat the game if you must ;/

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By BoG
BiggerBomb said:
"Where the hell did my reply just go?...

Whatever."
It was downvoted, and vanished. Now if you would kindly check your PMs, we could keep this on topic.
coakroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By coakroach

Decent list, you should check these out too

Platformer:
Abe's Odyssey (PC, Steam download): I love this game so much that it hurts. The platforming and puzzle solving is solid and the speech system adds a bit of extra flair, but the art style really makes it stand out from the rest of the pack. The characters and aliens are all lovable in there own way and they all bring there own cool little piece of gameplay with them.

Turn-Based Strategy/RPG:
Heroes of Might and Magic 3 (PC, good luck finding!): The crack cocaine of medieval fantasy games

SpinCookie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 4

#42  Edited By SpinCookie

i just put some of these on my gamefly queue.  Anyone else have gamefly?  I used to have it but cancelled it cause I wasn't getting the games I wanted.  Now I have a bunch of different systems and a good back log of games I want to play so I just started it again today. 

All the Portal talk got me thinking I should probably play it, Orange Box for PS3 is first on my list.
BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By BoG
SpinCookie said:
"i just put some of these on my gamefly queue.  Anyone else have gamefly?  I used to have it but cancelled it cause I wasn't getting the games I wanted.  Now I have a bunch of different systems and a good back log of games I want to play so I just started it again today. 
All the Portal talk got me thinking I should probably play it, Orange Box for PS3 is first on my list.
"
You know, I'm surprised someone hasn't mentioned portal yet. I said tetris, as it was the original puzzle game, but I don't think Portal would be a bad suggestion either. I'd also like to bring up Lumines, which was absolutely brilliant.
mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#44  Edited By mike

I just went through and cleaned up all attempts at derailing this perfectly legitimate thread.  If you guys have any problems with BoG or this post in general, send him a PM.  Thank you!

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Randolph

Lumines is the perfection of the Tetris formula, I think it definitely has a legitimate claim on being one of the the must play puzzlers.   I can't believe I forgot about Portal too, thats an immediate classic game, and was a serious contender for GOTY 2007.  Hey, BoG, just an fyi, Gamestop is running a buy 2 used games get one free promotion.  Would be a good time to get some of those survival horror games I mentioned. (Silent Hill 2 will turn your perception of survival horror upside down, I assure you)

Absurd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Absurd

Good job on the Grim Fandango pick, It really is awesome.

zitosilva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#47  Edited By zitosilva
Action-Adventure: I'm not quite sure what qualifies as action/adventure. If Mega Man qualifies as this then I'd say Mega Man X4.

Adventure: This is a tough pick. Everyone should play those, now classic, point and click games. But if I had to pick just one I'd say... crap, I can't pick one. Secret of Monkey Island... or Curse of Monkey Island. Maybe Master of Dimensions? Though Prisioner's Of Ice is also fun. But Grim Fandango is a nice choice as well.

Turn based Strategy: Heroes of Might and Magic III.

Platformer: Mario 3. No second thought on this one for me.

RPG: Shadow Hearts: Covenant.

Survival-Horror: Resident Evil Remake. Or Silent Hill 2. Sorry, I can't decide.

Racing: Rock 'n' Roll Racing.

Fighting: - Soul Calibur 2.