assassins creed 3

tokyo jungle

forza horizon

dishonored

mark of the ninja

#2 Posted by Nightriff (5148 posts) -

@christopherson329 said:

No specific order

I haven't heard of no specific order, is that a good game?

#3 Posted by JJOR64 (19020 posts) -

@Nightriff said:

@christopherson329 said:

No specific order

It's a Wii U exclusive coming out on Launch Day. Heard the game is amazing.

#4 Posted by Phatmac (5726 posts) -

You forgot to add in XCOM: Enemy Unknown. Also Darkness 2 won't be on that list.

#5 Posted by Nightriff (5148 posts) -

@JJOR64 said:

@Nightriff said:

@christopherson329 said:

No specific order

It's a Wii U exclusive coming out on Launch Day. Heard the game is amazing.

God dammit, between No Specific Order and Bayonetta 2 I'm getting a Wii U

On point since the list is now posted, Asura's Wrath WILL be in the GB top 10, how much the guys loved that game it will place and deservedly so. And Journey is a lock for top 3. I haven't met someone who hasn't liked that game

#6 Posted by Nightriff (5148 posts) -

@Phatmac: He forgot a lot and I hope Spec Ops makes it, even as generic the gameplay is it is one hell of a story and one of the best experiences I have had in gaming this year.

#7 Posted by christopherson329 (216 posts) -

@Nightriff: what would you replace for asura's wrath and journey

#8 Posted by christopherson329 (216 posts) -

i didnt forget i went threw a list of the games of 2012 and i didnt think it would make the top 10 i might make it for best story if walking dead episode 5 sucks

#9 Posted by Rafaelfc (1381 posts) -

I don't see hotline miami being in giantbomb's top 10, also I don't think dishonored will make the list (sadly)

#10 Posted by christopherson329 (216 posts) -

no dishonored will make the list and i agree about hotline miami i just love that game a lot and i has the most bad ass sound track ever

#11 Posted by Nightriff (5148 posts) -

@christopherson329: Well I'm trying to think what the GB crew is going to put into the top 10, this isn't a personal one right?

But out of what you have put in there I would swap:

Journey - Forza Horizon (If god damn trackmania 2 from last year didn't make it, this isn't)

Asura's Wrath - hotline miami (don't think they will back the game up, deserving or not)

Spec Ops - don't know what it would replace but I think it deserves to be recognized for doing something different story wise

#12 Posted by Turambar (6808 posts) -

@christopherson329 said:

I see Journey replacing Hotline: Miami. I doubt Asura's Wrath will be on the list.

#13 Posted by Nightriff (5148 posts) -

@Turambar said:

@christopherson329 said:

I see Journey replacing Hotline: Miami. I doubt Asura's Wrath will be on the list.

Disagree on Asura because the....3 or 4 of them that played it loved the hell out of it

#14 Posted by Animasta (14711 posts) -

@Turambar said:

@christopherson329 said:

everyone loved it but Jeff; I don't think it wins, but I think it gets 10 or 9 myself.

also Tokyo Jungle won't make it because Patrick was the only one who played it so I'd probably swap Asura's Wrath with that.

#15 Posted by christopherson329 (216 posts) -

@Nightriff: i think asura might be on that list cause they do have a boner for it but i dont think it will replace forza

#16 Posted by Jack268 (3387 posts) -
@Nightriff said:

And Journey is a lock for top 3. I haven't met someone who hasn't liked that game

I'm right here
#17 Posted by spankingaddict (2698 posts) -

@christopherson329: Take out AC3 , and put Dust : An Elysian Tail . I think that'll be there top 10 list , if FC3 doesn't live up to the hype .

#18 Posted by Nightriff (5148 posts) -

@christopherson329: Forza won't make it, again if TRACKMANIA 2 didn't make it last year this doesn't have a chance. Jeff is the only guy who likes Racing games and he won't fight for it.

@Animasta: Have they even talked about Hotline Miami? Did it got lost in the 4 hour Halo 4/AC3 talk?

#19 Posted by Animasta (14711 posts) -

@Nightriff: they talked about it a tiny bit either last week or two weeks ago and patrick & jeff said they would finish it but I dunno

they better play it D:

#20 Posted by Phatmac (5726 posts) -

@Nightriff said:

@Phatmac: He forgot a lot and I hope Spec Ops makes it, even as generic the gameplay is it is one hell of a story and one of the best experiences I have had in gaming this year.

Spec Ops was a great experience but I hated everything else about the game. It honestly had one of the worst cover systems in recent memory. It probably won't make it on the list but it is certainly important.

#21 Posted by Animasta (14711 posts) -

@Phatmac said:

@Nightriff said:

Spec Ops was a great experience but I hated everything else about the game. It honestly had one of the worst cover systems in recent memory. It probably won't make it on the list but it is certainly important.

there is a best story category so it'll be up for that at least

#22 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4690 posts) -

I don't see GB listing totyo Jungle, Halo 4 or Assassin's Creed as the site top ten. We shall see/

#23 Posted by Nightriff (5148 posts) -

Dishonored and Tokyo Jungle also have the problem of Patrick being the only one to play it/dig it, same happened last year with Catherine. Patrick stands by his games but won't fight for a group top 10. Brad is the one to do that and takes some weird ass stands on games, really annoying

#24 Posted by Animasta (14711 posts) -

@Nightriff said:

Dishonored and Tokyo Jungle also have the problem of Patrick being the only one to play it/dig it, same happened last year with Catherine. Patrick stands by his games but won't fight for a group top 10. Brad is the one to do that and takes some weird ass stands on games, really annoying

Catherine was different because Jeff actively hated it though.

#25 Posted by Nightriff (5148 posts) -

@Animasta said:

@Phatmac said:

@Nightriff said:

there is a best story category so it'll be up for that at least

I know but I personally thought the combat was fine, the enemies weren't bullet sponges so it made up for the sub par gameplay. I just think the story is so good, so different, so well done that it puts it into the top 10. I just hope it gets recognized for more than just a winner or runner up to for best story

#26 Posted by Nightriff (5148 posts) -

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

I don't see GB listing totyo Jungle, Halo 4 or Assassin's Creed as the site top ten. We shall see/

Halo 4 will because it is Halo 4, I'm fine with that but I hope it is like Arkham City last year in that it is so similar that it doesn't deserve to be higher than the back of the top 10.

#27 Edited by Animasta (14711 posts) -

Just looking at reviews and thinking about what everyone thinks of the games, here's my list:

Halo 4

XCOM: Enemy Unknown

Mark of the Ninja

Dust

Sleeping Dogs

Trials Evolution

Fez

Journey

Walking Dead

Asura's Wrath

Vinny and Patrick really seem to love Sleeping Dogs so I think that makes it (Brad and Jeff were also going to play it too as I recall so I guess we'll see) I think Patrick will realize that Tokyo Jungle won't make it so he'll back Sleeping Dogs instead because he has at least one compatriot.

and I think the big battle for first will be between XCOM and walking dead

honestly though I wish Alex would be involved with this, because he's the one who reviews the most games.

#28 Edited by mnzy (2915 posts) -

Vinny really likes Sleeping Dogs and actively makes others play it, it will definitely be on it.

Asura's Wrath will be mentioned somewhere, maybe in the story list with Walking Dead and Spec Ops, but won't be on the top 10 list.

Also, motherf'n Diablo III!

#29 Posted by pyromagnestir (4326 posts) -

It's a little odd to me that I can imagine smaller games like Fez, Hotline Miami, Journey, Dust, Mark of the Ninja, Tokyo Jungle and maybe even FTL as making the top 10 of the year list than before many of the "big" games of this year like Mass Effect 3, Assassin's Creed 3, and Halo 4.

It'll certainly be an interesting discussion, this year.

#30 Posted by Animasta (14711 posts) -

@mnzy: honestly though I don't think anything else barring the big couple (XCOM, walking dead, Mark of the NInja) had a majority of them liking (or playing I guess) the game. I mean sure it's probably not going to be on anyone's top 5, but everyone besides Jeff likes it.

#31 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4690 posts) -

I think XCOM, Mark of the Ninja, Journey and The Walking Dead are all basically guaranteed to be on there. The other five is up in the air.

#32 Posted by mnzy (2915 posts) -

@Animasta: True, but I feel like games that are loved by some of the guys tend to win against games that everybody just likes.

#33 Posted by Animasta (14711 posts) -

@mnzy said:

@Animasta: True, but I feel like games that are loved by some of the guys tend to win against games that everybody just likes.

I'm also pretty sure both Ryan and Brad loved the game though.

#34 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4690 posts) -

@Nightriff said:

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

Halo 4 will because it is Halo 4, I'm fine with that but I hope it is like Arkham City last year in that it is so similar that it doesn't deserve to be higher than the back of the top 10.

Jeff is not a big fan of the game. Brad may push for it and the others have yet to play it. So if they like it and Brad feeling like pushing for it it could be.

#35 Posted by mnzy (2915 posts) -

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

@Nightriff said:

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

Jeff is not a big fan of the game. Brad may push for it and the others have yet to play it. So if they like it and Brad feeling like pushing for it it could be.

Jeff gave it 4 stars....

And again: Diablo 3, guys.

#36 Posted by Animasta (14711 posts) -

@mnzy: You're probably right about Diablo 3, but I'd probably take Halo 4 out before Asura's Wrath.

#37 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4690 posts) -

@mnzy said:

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

@Nightriff said:

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

Jeff gave it 4 stars....

True but from hearing him talk about he seems to understand it's a well made Halo game but he don't particular want that. Remember in 2010 when he gave Bioshock 2 4 stars and everyone bashed it come GOTY time?

#38 Edited by Vinny_Says (5719 posts) -

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

@mnzy said:

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

@Nightriff said:

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

Jeff gave it 4 stars....

True but from hearing him talk about he seems to understand it's a well made Halo game but he don't particular want that. Remember in 2010 when he gave Bioshock 2 4 stars and everyone bashed it come GOTY time?

Nevermind GOTY time; sometimes reviews are 4 stars but the crew subsequently proceeds to shit all over a game like it's the worst thing ever. Just look at AC Revelations and how dismissive Ryan is of it. Also sometimes some of the guys shit on each other's opinions, like the time Jeff didn't even care to defend his opinion of Darksiders 2 when Patrick got all Joseph Stalin on him.

Also why is Trails Evolution not on that list?

#39 Posted by BaneFireLord (2949 posts) -

I really hope Far Cry 3 ends up being good enough to warrant a place on the Top 10.

#40 Posted by BRich (437 posts) -

All I know is I can't wait for Walking Dead versus XCOM discussion for GOTY. I think Jeff will swing to to XCOM.

#41 Edited by Bwast (1342 posts) -

Diablo 3, mother truckers. I wonder if that will be Brad's hissy fit game this year.

#42 Posted by L44 (565 posts) -

C'mon guys Torchlight II.

#43 Posted by Master_Funk (737 posts) -

Man I hope Alex is in this GOTY discussion. Otherwise, they might not give a game like journey the proper credit it deserves.

#44 Posted by Captain_Insano (1547 posts) -

Xcom FTW

#45 Posted by BeachThunder (12087 posts) -

@BaneFireLord said:

I really hope Far Cry 3 ends up being good enough to warrant a place on the Top 10.

I wish, but I doubt it. I Don't really have high expectations, but I'm going to pick it up anyway since I loved FC2.

#46 Edited by Fredchuckdave (5714 posts) -

Diablo 3 will be on the list because the press loves it; does it deserve it? Eh... it's such a weak year that it's probably in the top 15 or so, granted there's not much of an argument for Diablo 3 as opposed to Torchlight or vice versa. A bit tragic that Double Dragon Neon is going to miss out though. XCOM is undoubtedly a better game than Diablo 3 but also not nearly as good as people say it is relative to I don't know, every tactical RPG ever. Top 10 is fine but GotY is a stretch. Would be interesting if Dishonored won but seems unlikely. Tokyo Jungle seems like a lock for an 8, 9, or 10 slot; Jeff likes it and anything Jeff likes is inherently superior to everything else in the GoTY debates.

Obviously the real GoTY is Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition.

#47 Posted by impartialgecko (1616 posts) -

I can see Patrick pulling out a filibuster for Tokyo Jungle but I can also see it falling on deaf ears.

#48 Posted by Little_Socrates (5683 posts) -

It all depends on the format. If we do the same format as last year, it's gonna be way less predictable than their general "bring warriors to win the competition automatically" thing they usually do, where there is no serious "Top 10" and it's really just "X v. Y." Now, that still happens in the Russian Roulette format (though it might not happen this year) but it changes the rest of the deciding process. Basically, I'm saying that Dead Space probably wouldn't have made Giant Bomb's "Best of '08" list under the new format because Jeff would've been able to kill it long before the Top 10, but he didn't really care because it wasn't beating MGS4 or GTA4.

#49 Posted by BeachThunder (12087 posts) -

@Nightriff said:

On point since the list is now posted, Asura's Wrath WILL be in the GB top 10, how much the guys loved that game it will place and deservedly so.

You wouldn't happen to be projecting by any chance?

#50 Edited by mnzy (2915 posts) -

@Master_Funk said:

Man I hope Alex is in this GOTY discussion. Otherwise, they might not give a game like journey the proper credit it deserves.

Brad loves Journey, I'm pretty sure it's his favourite game this year so far.

@BaneFireLord said:

Me too, man, me, too.

But hey, Far Cry 3 has “achieved among the best playtest scores in Ubisoft’s history, confirming the game’s outstanding quality,” according to Ubisoft head Yves Guillemot. (got this from Neogaf) What could go wrong?