• 72 results
#1 Edited by jeanespinosa21 (83 posts) -

what games if any have you played that made you decide to never play this franchise again? I'm not saying it means the franchise is dead, for example: COD MW3 killed that franchise for me so did AC: 3

#2 Edited by mandude (2667 posts) -
  • Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
  • Dragon Age II

Metal Gear Solid 2 came damn fucking close. It's almost worse than Dragon Age II.

#3 Posted by Nightriff (4335 posts) -

Dead Space 3 - no more dead space for me

#4 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4037 posts) -

None? If there's one "bad egg" in the franchise, I just hope the next entry fixes whatever issues I had. I can't think of any one game that literally (...hahaha) killed a franchise for me.

#5 Posted by BeachThunder (11257 posts) -

Borderlands 2 springs to mind. Not that Borderlands 2 was bad, but I just don't think I need any more of that...

#6 Edited by CreepyUncleBrad (164 posts) -

Dead Space 3
Assassins Creed: Revelations followed by Assassins Creed 3 (for real this time)

Crackdown 2

#7 Posted by Pezen (1465 posts) -

Here's my hipster answer; I disliked Halo before it was a franchise. And later I tried Halo 3 and said; "I was right all along! This franchise is dead to me, again."

#8 Posted by Video_Game_King (34587 posts) -

None that I know of.

#9 Edited by oraknabo (1419 posts) -

AC3

#10 Posted by killacam (1282 posts) -

dead space 3, mass effect 3.. pretty much anything EA.

ALMOST FFXIII, but XV looks too awesome/different to pass up.

#11 Edited by JouselDelka (967 posts) -
  • Crysis 2 - Barely related to the revolution that is Crysis.. just another mediocre Modern Warfare competitor
  • Dead Space 3 - So boring
  • Assassin's Creed: Revelations - The painful moment when you feel you've climbed your last wall and countered your last sword. The painful moment when the map icons look like a nightmare. AC used to feel like heaven once.. shame.
  • Call of Duty: Black Ops - The previous game, Modern Warfare 2, was a sweet single player experience and a good enough 'spin' on the first MW's multiplayer. Black Ops was one COD game too many, the formula stopped evolving and got overused.
  • Saints Row IV - SR3 was a fantastic alternative GTA IV for me, but this new SR looks like a cheap cash-in and a death blow to the franchise.
  • Hitman: Absolution - What a damn shame.
  • Splinter Cell: Conviction - Great action game, and I'm looking forward to Blacklist co-op on PC with my roommate, but this new direction was a total franchise killer. Chaos Theory was the epitome of stealth game design, another damn shame.
  • Mass Effect 3 - First game was a quirky and charming time-sink set in space, second game was a well directed and paced suicide adventure, then that one from last year was.. A very boring piece of shit.
  • Need for Speed: Undercover - Ever since NFS 2, this franchise has been a well of fun for me and my cousins. We anticipated those games, spent hours in Underground & Most Wanted, and had the time of our lives with Carbon which coincided with us watching Tokyo Drift the same week. Then the charm was lost and the games became too many and too boring. Most Wanted 2012 redeemed that, but after what?
  • Red Faction: Armageddon - Bye RF, it was nice loving you for a while. Don't cry, Guerrilla.. Don't cry baby.
  • Medal of Honor 2010 - Ruined the name and legacy of the classic WW2 franchise. That game didn't need to exist IMO.
  • F.E.A.R 3 - Get the f outta here.
  • Call of Juarez: The Cartel - What the HELL were they thinking?? Bound in Blood was so tasty.. The new arcade shooter one is an arcade shooter, so meh.
  • DOOM 3 - Just a personal opinion, but as a massive fan of the first two games as a child from the early 90s, this game was a disappointment. Just a big jump-scare rollercoaster, dropped it after two hours.

#12 Posted by Kaiserreich (644 posts) -

Most games released by EA in the last few years.

#13 Posted by chiablo (847 posts) -

Wow, nobody's mentioned Red Faction Armageddon yet? A game so bad that it not only destroyed the franchise, but helped bankrupt the publisher.

For me personally, Assasin's Creed Brotherhood soured me on the entire series. AC2 was pretty damned good, but Brotherhood felt like it was the same exact game, but with more fiddly bits added on. The story also shit the bed and felt more like a bad M. Night Shamalamading-dong story.

World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King. Great expansion at the beginning, but poor decisions on Blizzard's part made the end game content horrible. I couldn't even be bothered to get excited for Cataclysm knowing that the raid dungeon loot could by obtained by doing some daily quests.

#14 Posted by Marcsman (2872 posts) -

Mass Effect 3

Final Fantasy XIII

Dead Space 3

#15 Posted by Pr1mus (3512 posts) -

Well it always depends on the impact they have on the franchise i guess.

FFXIII is pretty terrible but the franchise is 26 years old now and i liked most of them before so i don't care. If FFXV is awesome i'll jump right back in.

MW2 was trash and every game that followed haven't been better for me so i guess that one?

#16 Edited by Yummylee (20543 posts) -

So basically, ''most disappointing sequels''..

That's unfortunate, because I'd like to hear about franchises that were actually killed off (or at least put into a long hiatus) because of its last installment being so poorly received or selling like shit.

Something like how Dino Crisis 3 was undoubtedly the bullet that shot down what could have been a prosperous franchise =(

#17 Posted by JouselDelka (967 posts) -

@yummylee said:

That's unfortunate, because I'd like to hear about franchises that were actually killed off (or at least put into a long hiatus) because of its last installment being so poorly received or selling like shit.

Something like how Dino Crisis 3 was undoubtedly the bullet that shot down what could have been a prosperous franchise =(

Or how Alpha Protocol killed Alpha Protocol.

lol

#18 Edited by Yummylee (20543 posts) -

@yummylee said:

Or how Alpha Protocol killed Alpha Protocol.

lol

=(

...='(

#19 Posted by Animasta (14460 posts) -

GTAIV?

#20 Posted by Herk (165 posts) -

Dead Space 3, AC3, and I think Borderlands is dead for me too. The second game was definitely an okay game but Destiny and all the others similar games that have been announced recently seem so much better.

#22 Edited by falserelic (4941 posts) -

This..

#23 Posted by cloudymusic (918 posts) -

Ace Combat: Assault Horizon

#24 Edited by CollegeGuyMike (381 posts) -

Guitar Hero 5.

Oof.

#25 Posted by MariachiMacabre (6936 posts) -

@animasta said:

GTAIV?

Care to explain? Because, to me, that game looks excellent.

#26 Edited by CooVee (135 posts) -

I use to love the Assassin's Creed games but Revelations tested that love and AC3 straight up destroyed it. AC4 only interests me slightly because of its pirate theme but i'm not sure I can deal with another Assassin's Creed game anymore.

#27 Posted by Animasta (14460 posts) -

@animasta said:

GTAIV?

It just wasn't fun to play at all and the tone from it was also terrible

#28 Edited by Kaiserreich (644 posts) -
#29 Edited by MariachiMacabre (6936 posts) -

@animasta said:

@mariachimacabre said:

@animasta said:

GTAIV?

It just wasn't fun to play at all and the tone from it was also terrible

Oh you're talking GTAIV! Shit. I read that as V because I'm dumb. In that case, I totally get that criticism. The tonal dissonance was nuts in IV. I did have tons of fun in the multiplayer with friends, though/

#30 Posted by TyCobb (1924 posts) -

Guitar Hero 5.

Oof.

I see your GH5 and raise with GH3 and GH4. The whole series went to shit once Harmonix moved on. Rock the 80's and GH2 are still the best and last good Guitar Hero games.

#31 Edited by Verendus (348 posts) -

Final Fantasy XIII.

Words cannot describe how much I hate it and it's sequels.

#32 Edited by OurSin_360 (755 posts) -

Final Fantasy 13 - but they can clean it up since none of the games coincide with each other story wise.

Assassins creed 3 - Broken A.I. and the gameplay was better in Brother hood. Story was good (still haven't finished it though) But i don't have any desire to play anymore in games in the series.

Halo 3 - ZzzzzzzzZzzzzzz Halo 2 in Hd, made me lose complete interest in the franchise and i've never gone back. (well i tried but god it was boring fighting the exact same enemies with the same weapons and vehicles)

All i can think of right now.

#33 Posted by Giantstalker (1443 posts) -

Dragon Age 2 crushed the series harder than anything else I could possibly list. Goddamn.

#34 Edited by spraynardtatum (2118 posts) -

GoW: Ascension

GoW: Judgement

I loved both of those franchises but from the first announcement of those games I knew they were just cash grabs and I don't support cash grabs. Unless I'm duped!

#35 Edited by DarthOrange (3495 posts) -

• Need for Speed: Undercover - Ever since NFS 2, this franchise has been a well of fun for me and my cousins. We anticipated those games, spent hours in Underground & Most Wanted, and had the time of our lives with Carbon which coincided with us watching Tokyo Drift the same week. Then the charm was lost and the games became too many and too boring. Most Wanted 2012 redeemed that, but after what?

What was wrong with the most recent Hot Pursuit?

#36 Posted by AmatureIdiot (980 posts) -
@keres said:

Ace Combat: Assault Horizon

The saddest thing is that they were really on to something with the semi-open world Fires of Liberation. What a bitter disappointment AH was.

Otherwise, Assassin's Creed 3 will likely end up 'killing' AC for me, there is no point playing side stories when I can't bring myself to finish the finale to the main Desmond arc. Also, I don't know if I can face another Bioshock game if it is just another vehicle for plot twists.

#37 Posted by Joeyoe31 (820 posts) -

F.E.A.R. 2 was a disappointment for me. It wasn't franchise ruining though. F.E.3.R. though...that's some franchise ruining shit right there.

#38 Edited by CollegeGuyMike (381 posts) -

@tycobb said:

@collegeguymike said:

Guitar Hero 5.

Oof.

I see your GH5 and raise with GH3 and GH4. The whole series went to shit once Harmonix moved on. Rock the 80's and GH2 are still the best and last good Guitar Hero games.

World Tour WAS pretty bad, (Was that 4?), but I always felt like it was a noble first attempt at trying to catch up to Harmonix and Rock Band, and as far as GH3 goes for some reason it really clicked with me. To be fair, this was mostly due to it being the first one of 'those games' that I got to play a TON of and that I personally owned and didn't just get to play at friends houses.

I can see how it could be seen as the beginning of the end for that series though. 5, Van Halen, and all that craziness was where I just gave up. It went from being noble attempts to, "Oh god we're all going to lose our jobs if we don't try to put out some product someone PLEASE come up with ANYTHING!".

#39 Posted by TyCobb (1924 posts) -

@collegeguymike: Yea, GH4 was World Tour. That's the game that actually killed the series for me. GH3 cracked the foundation and GH4 ended up just nuking the damn house with shit. Activision does love to shit out the same game every year until the whole genre just implodes.

#40 Posted by Nux (2207 posts) -

Racket and Clank: Size matters.

#41 Posted by spilledmilkfactory (1751 posts) -

I've never necessarily played a game and cut myself off from playing its sequels, since there's always the hope that they'll improve in the future. But I have definitely taken a break from series before, especially annualized stuff like AC, to get a breather.

#42 Posted by Redbullet685 (5980 posts) -
  • Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
  • Assassin's Creed Revelations
  • Resident Evil 6 (I know its the latest game so we still have yet to see or play the next, but they either have to reboot this series or I'm done)
  • Dead Space 3

That's really all I can think of off the top of my head

#43 Posted by Fearbeard (801 posts) -

I'm not willing to write off a franchise just because of a bad entry. Though if a new one comes out and gets lambasted for the same reasons as the bad entry then I'll skip it till they fix it. Here are some titles that make me wary of the series though.

Dead Space 3: I actually haven't even played it yet. Just everything I saw leading up to it's release and then playing the demo made me not want to play it at all. Maybe some day. Maybe my low expectations will actually make me like it more.

Metal Gear Solid 4: Endless and terrible cutscenes and dialogue. I'll definitely read reviews carefully for MGS5.

Need for Speed: Most Wanted (2012): This is by no means a bad game, but I really did not like how the multiplayer works. I felt like I spent all my time waiting. I'm much happier just picking an event and going right to it. I don't need to drive over to it then wait 5 minutes while eveyone else tries to drive over to it. I'd much rather they return to the Hot Pursuit series.

#44 Posted by jeanespinosa21 (83 posts) -

@yummylee: you can just make a thread like that if you want!

#45 Posted by TangoUp (309 posts) -

Modern Warfare 2 : What a worthless follow up to the first one. Stupid story, stupid multiplayer maps, stupid killstreaks and cheesy perks/attachments/weapons

Shift 2: Unleashed : I didn't play the first one, but the control scheme for this one has turned me off from this franchise and I have no interest in the new Slightly Mad Studios racer

Star Wars Force Unleashed II : Thankfully, didn't buy it but I have seen the levels and story online and it definitely has destroyed the franchise.

Gran Turismo 5 : I'm not touching this franchise ever again even with a 10 foot pole. Even Microsoft don't show as much arrogance and hubris while showcasing their games. 'Perfection', my $%@.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance : If the length of this game coupled with its stupid plots is going to be the standard for this franchise, then it has effectively ended it for me.

#46 Posted by Sparky_Buzzsaw (5794 posts) -

I can't think of a better example than King's Quest: Mask of Eternity. Might and Magic IX is a close second, but at least we got several decent Heroes of Might and Magic games after its release. Mask of Eternity shot Sierra's dying corpse, poisoned it, shot it again, stabbed it several times in the soft bits, shot it yet again for funsies, ran it over with a tractor, drew and quartered it with several pissed off horses, decided, "Oh, hey, what the hell, let's shoot it again," and then set fire to the shreds that were left. That game made my soul hurt for the state of the adventure genre.

#47 Edited by Littleg (55 posts) -

@tangoup said:

Gran Turismo 5 : I'm not touching this franchise ever again even with a 10 foot pole. Even Microsoft don't show as much arrogance and hubris while showcasing their games. 'Perfection', my $%@.

I'd go further and say either GT HD or GT Prologue. I bought a PS1 and PS2 just to play Gran Turismo games, I don't even own a PS3, 'nuff said.

But that's just speaking personally, games that actually factually killed a franchise? I dunno, Darksiders 2 and Red Faction Armageddon might be good shouts, as they also contributed to pulling down the whole company. I'm glad Volition is still a going concern and Vigil lives on in Crytek USA, as I'm sure those teams can still do good things but those two games seem to have been missed steps.

How about all the craziness with recent NBA games? Was there a single game that offed that whole franchise, or was a it a gradual decline in the face of competition from the 2K games?

#48 Posted by Cold_Wolven (2167 posts) -

Assassin's Creed: Revelations but only because I've become so fatigued by the series fiction and game play as well as the franchise always coming out each and every year. Resident Evil 5 for pretty much killing any sense of fright that made that series good and also forcing an A.I. partner on you that you had to share your resources with. Spyro: Enter the Dragonfly ever since that series left Insomniac.

#49 Posted by cloudymusic (918 posts) -

@sparky_buzzsaw said:

King's Quest: Mask of Eternity

Hahaha, okay, you win.

Prince of Persia 3D is up there, too, aside from the fact that the series eventually pulled off a successful reboot several years later.

#50 Posted by ADAMWD (499 posts) -

@tycobb: GH3 was fucking rad. World Tour kicked off the downward spiral for me.

Prince of Persia ruined what was my favorite series from the PS2 era. Who thought removing the possibility of death would make PoP better?