• 81 results
#1 Posted by tonedaforce (6 posts) -

I was just playing the final level of Super Meat Boy and after dying in a real stupid manner on my 1000th attempt, I almost threw the controller. I was in motion before I remembered how much a 360 controller cost, so I stopped myself. 

It's been years since I broke a controller. I was about 14 years old and playing 'Indycar Racing 2' on PC. Back then owning a steering wheel and pedals was a bit out of my reach so I played this game with a joystick. I was playing on full sim, no driving aids and full race. I qualified 15th for the race at Michigan Speedway. I managed to progress through the field and by lap 150 or so I was up to 5th. Then I just lost concentration and hit the wall coming out of turn 2. It wasn't a hard hit but hard enough to wreck the front and rear suspension on the right side of my car and I was out of the race. After staring at the screen for about 5 seconds, I went absolutely spare and broke my joystick in half. A proud moment.
 If you feel like getting this off your chest, what game and situation have made you throw a wobbler and the controller felt your fury?

#2 Posted by Shotaro (820 posts) -

I don't think I've ever BROKEN a controller, but I've thrown one a few times, usually when a game or a particular fight is just cheap... not that many games I've played recently that spring to mind though

#3 Posted by darkwingduck (175 posts) -

fifa 11, after liverpool got a penalty in the 90th minute (semi finals of champions league, score 3:3). dude shoots and my keeper manages to save it but sure enough torres comes along and scores from about 3 feet...  went to buy a new controller the next day.... 

#4 Edited by GetEveryone (4455 posts) -

Street Fighter 4. 

Oh, and Super Street Fighter 4. 

I have literally broken every single of one my PS3 pads in one way or another (and wrecked my TE stick in the process) as a direct result of those games.  

@tonedaforce
said:

"After staring at the screen for about 5 seconds, I went absolutely spare and broke my joystick in half. A proud moment."

I can totally empathise with you, bro.
#5 Posted by Djeffers03 (2545 posts) -

I have never broken anything other than my MW2 disk. 

#6 Posted by Tsoglani (585 posts) -

FIFA always makes me want to break the controller, especially with the stupid and sometimes blatantly wrong offside rules that the game gives.
The REAL FIFA because they are corrupt motherfuckers, and for giving the World Cup to Qatar, and not to Australia... one can only wonder how much money the Qataris bribed FIFA with; a bloody disgrace. I would have been happy if the USA got it, but not Qatar.

#7 Posted by Azteck (7449 posts) -

Never. I can keep my temper in check.

#8 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8699 posts) -

Star Wars the Force Unleashed 1, on highest setting against that robot jedi dude in the scrapyard.
Pissed, me, off.

Didn't actually throw or break a controller but it came close.

#9 Posted by Penelope (225 posts) -

I came very close to breaking a 360 controller when playing Oblivion.

Not because the game was difficult- but because I accidentally saved over my 40+ hour save file.

That game made it WAAAAAAY to easy for that to happen.

#10 Posted by FritzDude (2263 posts) -

Mass Effect 2, but that's because the battery on my wireless controller just sopped working in the middle of some hard battles.

#11 Posted by OtakuGamer (1235 posts) -
Trails HD on extreme difficulty, WaW on veteran. 
#12 Posted by CandleJakk (766 posts) -

Street Fight IV cost me 2 pads. Threw one against the wall, snapped the other. That then made me more angry.

#13 Posted by DeanoXD (608 posts) -

The one and only time i have broken a controller was playing Darksiders, during a boss battle i knew exactly what i was supposed to do to win but i just kept losing in stupid ways and after dying for 20th time i slammed my 360 controller on my desk splitting open the hand grip. But back in the competitive Rocket Arena 2 days i took out more then one keyboard.

#14 Posted by HitmanAgent47 (8576 posts) -

resistance 2 on normal difficulty. If your not standing at the right place where ted price wants you to stand, your automatically dead. I bet the only gametester was ted price and that gameplay decision is very linear and fustrating.

#15 Posted by Pysk (20 posts) -

Fucking Split/Second. rubberband sucks.

#16 Posted by Psykhophear (939 posts) -
#17 Posted by Hamz (6846 posts) -

I'm not daft. Why the hell would I come close to throwing, damaging or fully breaking a controller that costs about £35-40 to replace? YOU PEOPLE ARE ALL BANANAS!

#18 Posted by gravisfury (15 posts) -

I never broke a controller, but there have been more than a couple of times where I had to drop one and walk away from a game for a while or else I would have smashed it! Back in my Counter-Strike days I almost smashed my keyboard and mouse, lol.  I have broken TV remotes though after watching some NHL playoff games and my team lost.

#19 Posted by DaemonicGrim (184 posts) -

I got over-enthused whilst using the rock band drums and managed to snap one off... then again, I was also using my feet so controlling the force was tricky.  

In terms of anger though? I've gotten pretty annoyed but never enough to damage a controller, though my brother once broke a controller on me... as in, against my arm, that wasn't too pleasant. Can't remember the game but it was definitely multiplayer and I definitely won the matches leading up to that point.

#20 Posted by TheKeywork1989 (50 posts) -

Pretty much Halo 2 through Reach, but then again I threw it last night after seeing how horrible I was at BFBC2 (Part of the problem being the so use to BLOPs and trying to knife with the stick).

#21 Posted by Cincaid (2956 posts) -

Me and my friends were playing RB2. Painkiller on Expert, and for the first time we were all doing awesomely. Suddenly the drums stopped playing, and the rest of us started shouting at the guy about what the hell he was doing. Turns out the bass-pedal broke in half during the song. Not really his fault, but still annoying. :)

#22 Posted by Everyones_A_Critic (6298 posts) -

Mercs 2 made me throw my controller multiple times. When I was playing World at War I was sitting on my bed while doing it, and next to me was my cell phone (a motorola RAZR at the time). I found that during my playthrough of World at War it helped to slam the controller against the mattress, so as to not do any actual damage to the controller and still vent my frustration. On my umpteenth try of some annoying-ass level, I brought the right grip of my 360 controller down right into the front screen of my phone, breaking both the front and (eventually) inner screens.  I also threw my PS3 controller during inFamous, but never actually broke it.

#23 Posted by smudo (150 posts) -

Only controller I ever broke was due to Toy Story for the SNES.    

#24 Posted by pegasuswinks (84 posts) -

Killzone 2's atrocious lighting made me throw stuff more than once

#25 Posted by Berezov (504 posts) -

• The ice levels on Donkey Kong Country made me throw my SNES controller to the ground.
  • Thrown a Playstation controller playing Mortal Kombat 4.
  • Thrown an N64 controller trying to get all stars in Super Mario 64.
  • The yellow button on my Guitar Hero II controller doesn't work and the guide button and D-Pad is smashed to pieces. 
  • My original Rock Band 1 drums barely work.
  • My Beatles Rock Band guide button barely works, I have to put a lot of force on the button just to get it to work
  • I've smashed two Xbox 360 controllers, one of the games was Dead or Alive 4 and I can't remember the other.
  • I've launched my mouse at the monitor playing a game I can't remember.
  • I've smashed a keyboard playing a game I can't remember.
  • I've thrown my PS3 controller playing LittleBigPlanet I think?
  • I've smashed multiple game boxes.
  • I've thrown discs at all walls.
  • I have a huge gash in my current Xbox 360 controller.
  • I've been through 5 headsets, my current headset is barely surviving.

Lately though I haven't done anything that bad but then again I've been playing games a lot less than I used to.
#26 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8061 posts) -

I've never broken a controller but both Modern Warfare 2 and Bad Company 2 have made me throw my controller before.

#27 Posted by EveretteScott (1486 posts) -
@Azteck said:
" Never. I can keep my temper in check. "
I as well. Not to sound like a douche, but I haven't gotten 'angry' at a video game since I was under the age of 12 (im 25). I don't see why anyone would play if they felt they were getting upset with it.
#28 Posted by Killboyy777 (108 posts) -

geez im 26 now, it's been a long time sense i've thrown a controller. but i'm sure ive been thru at least 5 NES contollers over the years i owned that system and multiple snes. Once n64 came out I was old enough to calm myself down and not smash controllers anymore. Hell, i still have the controller that came with my original n64. These days when games piss me off i've learnt to walk away and come back when i feel better about loosing. 

This is the reason I dont play starcraft 2, it's such a mental strain to lose a game 1v1. I would be so mad at myself that I couldn't have any kind of civilized talk with anybody. So i dont play sc2 anymore :)

#29 Posted by TooWalrus (13197 posts) -

Only one time did I break a controller. I was playing Need for Speed: Most Wanted, and I had parked my car on top of the bus terminal to cheat the system. I left it on overnight, and got enough points so that I could breeze through the game. When I tried to escape, I was unfairly caught on a piece of geometry, and was immediately surrounded by cops. It was the last straw, as the game had been increasingly frustrating up till that point, and I twisted the controller hard enough to crack it. It still works just fine, but there's a rattle in that controller.

#30 Posted by Gamer_152 (14078 posts) -

I've never broken a controller, I just don't get that worked up playing video games.

#31 Posted by hoseph1337 (27 posts) -

It doesn't really count as breaking, but I dropped my controller in shock during the big scene (you know what I'm talking about) in Bioshock.

#32 Posted by Hairy_Fish (366 posts) -

Guitar Hero 3 with its flimsy controller that couldn't handle a few goes of Dragonforce...

#33 Posted by bybeach (4826 posts) -

Years back I went through a spat where I threw a couple of times, and broke once. I replaced that whole scene with a ritual of pretending to throw the controller and cursing a little, then putting it down and either think out whats messing with me, or if that doesn't pan, prepare myself for the slog. Is it lack of skill, wrong game tactics, wrong weapon..what. If nothing works, I grin and bear it...sort of. I have patience, I have played one scene for days to beat it.
#34 Posted by ThePickle (4182 posts) -

I threw my RB1 drums one time. I forget what song I was playing

#35 Posted by x52z (22 posts) -

I do occasionally throw my controller, but I'm usually able to compose myself for just a split second and find someplace soft to throw it, like on my bed or a pile of laundry.

Here's a good story though: I was playing my best friend at Fifa 10 over xbox live and was beating him pretty badly. After i scored my 6th goal on him, i heard his headset hit the ground and then he disconnected. About 2 two minutes later, I get a message on my phone. It's a picture of a Fifa 10 disc broken into 3 pieces. I guess he won that round.

#36 Posted by Callumrides (357 posts) -

WAW of Veteran made me  chuck it across the room on the 2nd to last level

and i came close while doing the tier 1 mode on MOH

#37 Posted by mosespippy (4180 posts) -

In all my years of gaming the only controller breaking game has been MotorStorm Pacific Rift multiplayer. Trying to level up to the last level you essentially need to finish top 3 every race in order to progress. So when you get nudged in a tight spot and end up flipping and dropping 7 places causing you to level down it gets pretty frustrating while also being high adrenaline. I don't throw my controllers; I hammer them into the hardwood floor causing the handles to fracture and split apart.

#38 Posted by bwmcmaste (842 posts) -

I recall that when I had my PSX, I was playing some awful Street Fighter game (it had "Alpha" in the name), and I proceeded to throw my controller at the console and kick the thing upside down.  I was about fourteen or so at the time, and I had to pay for the disc (rental from Blockbuster), but that's about as bad as I've ever been.

#39 Posted by demonkd (29 posts) -

this gen would have to cod4 doing mile high club on vetren had been doing that one for about 2hours that day and got to the end twice but just couldnt get the head shot and kept killing the hostage glad i had a second controler.
#40 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5827 posts) -

Metal Gear Solid 3. The stupid controls frustrated me to no end. But I still loved it <3

#41 Posted by Jazz (2269 posts) -

I was very very close to doing this earlier today, during a stupid puzzle in Nier, and then i realised all i needed to do was block 
-_- 
Only other time was during MW2...I actually just turned off the game and haven't gone back since. Stupid game design, shitty gameplay.

#42 Edited by crusader8463 (14422 posts) -

I have never broke a controller, but I have pounded on my keyboard many a time in some frustrating games. I do get frustrated very easily when I keep dieing because of stupid stuff the game does that I have no control over.

The last little chunk of Assassin's Creed 2 made me want to chuck my dual shock 3 across the room, and about every dam main story mission of Brotherhood made me want to as well. The one that got me fired up the most with brotherhood was right at the end when they are telling you the story to set up the next game, and just as you start to get into the story they throw in some annoying fucking jumping puzzle that you gotta get through to start the next part of the story. Then when you do and you think it's the end they do ANOTHER one that's even more frustrating.

I have been playing those two games for the last couple weeks, so that has been my most recent games to make me want to punch something. When I finished Brotherhood I started in on inFAMOUS, and there was one silly side mission near the start that got me annoyed because it was such a simple mission, but I kept dieing on it. It wasn't so much hard, as I was still in the AC mindset and kept trying to hit buttons that did stuff in those games that of course do nothing in this one. Took me about 5-6 deaths to beat it.

#43 Posted by tunaburn (1890 posts) -
@Djeffers03 said:
" I have never broken anything other than my MW2 disk.  "
ditto
#44 Posted by ChasingTheSun (71 posts) -

Call of Duty 3, on Veteran, got stuck on "The Island" going up a damn hill for around 4 to 5 days, it got to an unbearable point, so I threw my controller against my room's wall.

#45 Posted by ShaunassNZ (2128 posts) -

I've never broken a controller, but I throw my DS at the ground because Elite Beat Agent.

#46 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

not me but my friend  broke my ps3 controller on gta 3 i think. it was either gta 3 or vice city. it was pretty funny because later in the future it made the L2 and R2 buttons stick. i would have to pause the game and start slapping the controller. it would then work again. 

i think the last time i slammed a controller it was on n64.

#47 Posted by InfamousBIG (3201 posts) -

I threw my Demon's souls disk at the wall 37 times after spending 45 minutes on a boss battle and then losing.  That's about the most extreme thing I ever did.  I came close to breaking my keyboard cause of super meat boy today, though.

#48 Posted by Akeldama (4246 posts) -

Smashed both an Ipod classic and a (bricked) PSP while playing I Wanna Be The Guy.  

I fucking finished that by the way.

#49 Posted by Lukeweizer (2679 posts) -

I've broken about 3 controllers the past several months. I just keep growing more and more impatient with achievements. 

Well, I broke 1, busted up 2 others. FairyTale FIghts, Black Ops (MP, not achievements), I banged up my fightstick pretty good too in Street Fighter if I get frustrated.

#50 Posted by TheJohn (553 posts) -

This is pretty embarrassing, but I'm gonna share it anyway, as a cautionary tale. I've not only broken a controller, I even had to go to the emergency room due to violent nerd rage.

I was playing the first Def Jam wrestling game, and after dominating a match for nearly fifteen minutes, my opponent suddenly pinned me and I lost. Blinded by rage, I threw the controller to the floor, watching it break before my eyes and pushing me into full on HULK SMASH mode. I grabbed the chord and continued to smash the controller to the floor and ended up hitting myself in the face. This shouldn't be a problem, but I'm wearing glasses, which broke, sending shards of glass into my eyes. Lucky for me, a friend was visiting, and he drove me to the emergency room where they sedated my eye and removed the small shards of glass without me suffering any permanent damage. 
One of the best things about wireless controllers is that I'm pretty safe from this ever happening again.

Fun facts: When you've had your eye sedated you can touch it without feeling anything. This is an excellent way to make your friends relax and laugh a bit after you've scared the hell out of them with pointless, violent nerd rage. Also, the sedative is orange, so for a while colors seem brighter and sharper, kinda like when you're wearing ski goggles.