Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

mercutio123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I forgot heart of the swarm even came out this year. I remember one year LittleBigPlanet 2 didn't even get a mention in any category. That was kinda weird

LackingSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#3  Edited By LackingSaint

EDIT: Yeah, this is already a thread.

Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Ramone

Seriously? This is getting fucking ridiculous now, there is at least one of these threads every day now.

benspyda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

benspyda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

None of those are GOTY worthy...

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@mcfart: Dragon Crowns is .... I´ll fight to the death to prove it >:3

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mcfart said:

In other categories such as 'Best Soundtrack' for Blood Dragon.

benspyda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mcfart said:

My GOTY list says otherwise...

EthanML

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

DmC is my biggest 'fear' for being left out, personally. Love the shit out of that game.

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mcfart said:

benspyda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Blood Dragon may be the most fun I've had playing a game this year.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

Antichamber. It brain-hurty, but brain-hurty in a good way.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

To be fair I thought this would be a general thread for nominees (not just game of the year but stuff like best new character or best music)

If Jorji doesn't win best new character I will be really cross

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I forgot heart of the swarm even came out this year. I remember one year LittleBigPlanet 2 didn't even get a mention in any category. That was kinda weird

Yeah, I completely forgot about HotS too, not that it deserves any rewards regardless, since the story is honestly one of the worst video game stories I've ever had the displeasure of playing. It's the only game where I had to stop playing for a few weeks because of how dumb it was.

As for games that I think won't be mentioned, I think Metro: Last Light will be forgotten, since it came out in a year when so many other AAA games were released and it kind of got overshadowed. Wait... Did it come out this year? Yeah, ok, it came out in May.

benspyda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By benspyda

I think because there was such a diverse selection of indie/smaller games and very few amazing AAA titles this year, everyone's GOTY lists are gonna look very different.

Avatar image for viciousbearmauling
ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ethanml said:

DmC is my biggest 'fear' for being left out, personally. Love the shit out of that game.

Eat it, reboot Dante.
Eat it, reboot Dante.

DmC is my biggest fear of being on the list, I hate the shit out of that game!

METAL GEAR RISING FO LYFE DAWG!!!

But, eh, just opinions.

Avatar image for james_ex_machina
James_ex_machina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Brothers?

ReCkLeSs_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

Rogue Legacy better get some lovin.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By bigjeffrey

Dragons Crown was probably good but to gb its just boobs the game.

benspyda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dragons Crown was probably good but to gb its just boobs the game.

How woman are portrayed in Dragons Crown is just embarrassing and a huge mistake on the developers part. I played through with the Amazon because it was a super fun class to play but man was it embarrassing if anyone saw me playing her. Its a huge shame because Dragon's Crown is an amazing game to play.

bluefish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ethanml said:

amen to that

Avatar image for deactivated-630479c20dfaa
deactivated-630479c20dfaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People were raving about Infinite after they finished it, now it seems like it probably won't reach into top 3-5.

Avatar image for president_barackbar
President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People were raving about Infinite after they finished it, now it seems like it probably won't reach into top 3-5.

Are you going based off of popular internet opinion or the actual staff opinion? Because none of them seem to have soured on Bioshock: Infinite at all.

Avatar image for deactivated-630479c20dfaa
deactivated-630479c20dfaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@president_barackbar: Sounded that way when Jeff referred to it on the bombcast awhile back. We will see.

dr_ryan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Guacamelee is on my personal top 10

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

Tomb Raider

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

I think Remember Me is tragically overlooked, but this is not an opinion many people share (although I will fight to the death to support that game!)

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Ni No Kuni will be overlooked. Not by the community but by the staff, since I don't think any of them finished it.

Ratchet & Clank: Into the Nexus will also be overlooked, because it was overlooked by everyone, even Sony, and it was released recently...

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

Wraxend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hermes: Man that's a depressing thought as both of those games where amazing. I hope at least Ni No Kuni might make it in...but that's probably wishful thinking :(

Fitzgerald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I 100% guarantee each and every one of you that none of the Bombcasters will bring up Ibb & Obb, despite the fact that I just played that game coop with my fiancee and had a blast. Best coop experience of the year, and the game in general follows REALLY good axioms of game-design: ie tutorial-free, good pacing of introducing new concepts, and communicates without text.

Mostly because when it came time to do a Quick Look, Brad (perplexingly) took it upon himself to play the game Solo... when CLEARLY the optimal way to play the game is Two player. So Brad's experience with it wasn't good. Ugh, why Brad? Why?

WalkerTR77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

I think Metro Last Light deserves a definite place in the top ten and that DmC needs to be seriously considered. If DmC get's left out, it should at the very least get it's due in the discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DmC and Dragon's Crown are 2 and 3 on my list and DmC will at best maybe sneak into the bottom of the top ten, and Dragon's Crown won't even be mentioned. If it is, it will be just so Patrick can make disdainful noises about a game he didn't play.

The secret forgotten game of the year is Valdis Story: Abyssal City, which I recommend as the best Metroidvania game I played this year.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

@hermes said:

Ni No Kuni will be overlooked. Not by the community but by the staff, since I don't think any of them finished it.

It's a fairly well-known fact that Giant Bomb and JRPGs not named Persona 4 are like oil and water. Remember, they gave Final Fantasy the "Check yourself before you wriggity wreck yourself" award on the basis that Brad didn't like FFXIII all that much.

For once this year, I can see most of the games on my top 10 being part of the discussion at some point, and then during the actual deliberations I'll sort of sigh as Fire Emblem gets dismissed because no one other than Patrick played it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arbitrarywater: To be fair, I think Final Fantasy got that Check Yourself award more for how the entire franchise was being handled than just that 13 was a disappointment. Around that time IIRC I began to notice the Final Fantasy name losing a lot of prestige from having it pasted on so many games, plus 13-2 was already a little liked rumor.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm just gonna throw on in the Capcom's Dungeons and Dragon's collection. That's been one of my favorite games of all time, but like a few weeks later we got Dragon's Crown which was a spiritual successor. I kept thinking as I was playing the HD game, I was like "Wow, I'm not in a local supermarket, this is the future."

No Caption Provided

it's such an odd release, and again Iron Galaxy did an amazing job emulating this with it's GGPO network.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Skulls of the Shogun is going to get wicked overlooked by basically everyone. They revealed really early, then took FOREVER to come out because of business shenanigans, then only launched on Microsoft platforms for the first 6 months because of business shenanigans (and I feel like a lot of reviewers didn't end up playing it very much as a result). Poor 17-BIT Studios.

Also Runner 2.

Also Crysis 3 came out this year, not that anybody remembers or cares (and I'm not really sure anybody should).

TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#40  Edited By TheMasterDS

Games from my list which will probably not get their propers? Well Starcraft II for a start. Dota 2 really having taken over Brad's life and all. I bet he'll take that he didn't stick with it and did stick with Dota 2 as a sign that it doesn't warrant mentioning. Really too bad as it's a real good game, even just playing through the campaign and never touching multiplayer is tons of fun.

I think Pikmin 3 deserves more props than it's likely to get. I wouldn't be surprised to hear it come up during best graphics, but otherwise I'm not holding my breath.

Antichamber has okay odds of some nods. Stanley Parable may have stolen its thunder though.

Killer Instinct I put as my number 10 game. As a number 10 game it's fine and perfectly reasonable if it's not mentioned through the GOTY discussions though it is very pretty so I would expect it to be mentioned in that part of the podcast.

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#41  Edited By ThePickle

I'm pretty sure Alex is the only one who played Civ V: Brave New World. But I've learned to no longer get too pissy about the results and just enjoy the fun content during GOTY time.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#43  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

While I doubt it will be discussed much this year, there is a more fleshed out full game being made out of that original 72 hour Ludum Dare version that could certainly end up in GotY deliberations when its released (probably 2014).

As far as other games I hope don't get left out of deliberations (they don't have to be in the top ten, but they deserve a mention):

• Call of Juarez: Gunslinger
  • Metal Gear Rising
  • Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Dual Destinies (I feel pretty confident in saying that nobody in the GB crew even touched it)
Tom_omb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Tom_omb

If Guacamelee isn't in the top 5 of every person on the internet's list.... it got robbed.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

@tom_omb said:

If Guacamelee isn't in the top 5 of every person on the internet's list.... it got robbed.

YES. Thank you. Seriously.

While I doubt it will be discussed much this year, there is a more fleshed out full game being made out of that original 72 hour Ludum Dare version that could certainly end up in GotY deliberations when its released (probably 2014).

Yeah I definitely think that game will be a big deal next year. I disagree that GWBW isn't a full game though... It is, it's just a "short game" (though I've spent at least 10 hours trying to beat it). It's worth noting that the game on their website now (and listed in our database) is not the 72 hour gamejam game. They spent time after the gamejam finishing it, and that's what you can go play now/what we describe on GB.

And while I'm very excited about the new GWBW it's fundamentally a different game. The fact that the original GWBW takes place on a single screen and has such discrete options is a big part of its appeal. While this new one will have more screens and more choices/more plot/more characters and that's great, that also makes it a totally different game IMO.

Fitzgerald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Fitzgerald

ONE OTHER THING

I was listening to last year's Best "Moment" of the Year award. If they do an award for that in 2013, the 2nd(3rd?) Boss of DmC MUST win that award. If you don't know which boss I'm talking about, it involves a news commentary show. That's a turning point for that game.

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

peritus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tom_omb said:

That game is great, but i dont know if its that great.

Rejizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fire Emblem probably. I think Dave helmed the quicklook and so there's no one to remind the duders of how good it is.

benspyda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rejizzle: That's a game I still need to play. I'm glad the 3DS is going so strong now.

The problem with GOTY lists is no one man can play all the games in a year, so even combined GB's GOTY top 10 is just that: Giantbomb's GOTY. It's different with movies and music where it takes far less time to watch and listen to all the important releases in a year but man do we have time consuming hobby.