#1 Posted by RedCream (705 posts) -

In light of GTA's anniversary this month which arguably changed the way open world/sandbox games are made what games do you think revolutionized a genre and do you think there is still room for revolution in this day and age of consoles?

#2 Posted by PerryVandell (2103 posts) -

Halo was one of the first console FPS' that worked well with a controller.

#3 Posted by psylah (2173 posts) -
#4 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Tactics Ogre is when strategy RPGs moved on from Fire Emblem knock-offs and onto Tactics Ogre knock-offs.

#5 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4676 posts) -

Resident Evil 4 for changing the shift of horror games and starting the third person shooter trend.

#6 Posted by dungbootle (2457 posts) -

Z-targeting/Lock On in Ocarina of Time was pretty big for action games I think

#7 Edited by Rohok (554 posts) -

Halo for console FPS games and multiplayer shooters. It also helped Microsoft gain a foothold in the console market and eventually become the leader in consoles with the Xbox 360.

#8 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3865 posts) -

Mario 64 for 3D platformers.

#9 Posted by Inquisitor_Sif (58 posts) -

Starcraft. It turn the RTS into more than just a genre. It turned the e-sport into mainstream with too much emphasis on the online competitions.

#10 Posted by BeachThunder (11927 posts) -
  • Adventure - King's Quest
  • FPS - Doom

I think people seriously underestimate how much innovation/creativity is still possible. The thing is that a lot of developers err away from thinking outside the box and instead aim to iterate on well-worn ideas.

#11 Posted by Canteu (2821 posts) -

Descent and Doom both spring to mind.

Also, I hate to say it, but Final Fantasy VII had a large impact on the way modern RPG's are/were developed.

Again, I hate to say it, but Call of Duty: Modern Warfare. Multiplayer progression anyone?

#12 Posted by psylah (2173 posts) -
#13 Posted by Sgtpierceface (624 posts) -
@Canteu

Descent and Doom both spring to mind.

Also, I hate to say it, but Final Fantasy VII had a large impact on the way modern RPG's are/were developed.

Again, I hate to say it, but Call of Duty: Modern Warfare. Multiplayer progression anyone?

Honestly, after multiplayer progression became a thing, it's been hard to go back to regular shooters. I think Halo is the only non-perk FPS multiplayer that I like anymore and now that's going to change with Halo 4.
#14 Posted by Brodehouse (9949 posts) -

Guitar Hero, and by proxy Rock Band.

#15 Posted by ajamafalous (11990 posts) -

Doom 
Quake

#16 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -
#17 Posted by supamon (1333 posts) -

Gears of War for popularizing cover based shooting.

#18 Edited by Ares42 (2661 posts) -

Noone's said WoW or COD4 ? =o

Also, Gears and Counter-Strike.

As for your question, there has to be room. While the gaming market certainly has embraced a new group of costumers that seem to enjoy predictability, there's still a large group of people buying games (and generally spending more money on games) that wants new and different games. If the developers completely stopped trying to make something new the market would definitely see a noticable drop in demand. Just look at the games being listed here, they have all made TONS of money. As long as that reward is out there people will take the risk and go for it.

#19 Posted by themangalist (1735 posts) -

Rome: Total War and Company of Heroes changed RTS forever. It's sad there just aren't any traditional Age of Empires-esque RTS releases any more.

#20 Posted by plaintomato (599 posts) -

Half Life, GTA, Portal, Demon's Souls, Pro Skater, Morrowind, Minecraft, Guitar Hero...

Hooray for Valve, they managed to do it twice, maybe three times if you want to say Left 4 Dead (but that's pushing it). The fact that Portal was a low budget pack-in with a proven franchise suggests that even innovators are hesitant to gamble on a new idea - which keeps the list short. Imitating blockbusters = less risk, more profit.

#21 Posted by sparks50 (373 posts) -

COD 4 MW.

#22 Edited by believer258 (11895 posts) -

Halo, Doom, Half-Life, Ocarina of Time, Super Mario 64, GTA, Mass Effect, Resident Evil 4, Call of Duty 4, Counter Strike, Super Mario Kart, Gran Turismo, Deus Ex, System Shock 2, etc.

I don't know much about early PC games or consoles before the Nintendo or arcades.

#23 Posted by TheLark (150 posts) -

Big Rigs over the road racing!!!

#24 Posted by ShockD (2401 posts) -
@TheLark said:

Big Rigs over the road racing!!!

I'll have to double that.
#25 Posted by Flacracker (1674 posts) -

@themangalist said:

Rome: Total War and Company of Heroes changed RTS forever. It's sad there just aren't any traditional Age of Empires-esque RTS releases any more.

Starcraft 2 is about the only RTS with base building anymore. I would love to have another medieval melee focused base building RTS again.

#26 Posted by Nottle (1914 posts) -

Geometry wars and Braid popularized the downloadable/ indie game.

Wasn't Virtua Fighter the first Polygonal fighting game?

#27 Posted by me3639 (1755 posts) -

Dungeons and Dragons. Without it, you dont have RPGs.
Starcraft
Doom
Diablo 2

#28 Posted by mordukai (7150 posts) -

Thief. Pretty much invented stealth in FPS.

#29 Edited by MocBucket62 (1223 posts) -
@themangalist said: 

I will double Rome for sure with what it did for the RTS genre. I can't speak for Company of Heroes only because I haver never played it before. And I agree that we need more traditional AOE-style games to be released, even though AOE Online came out a year ago. (I'm ain't touching that game only because its Free to Play) 

On a different note for games that revolutionized a genre, I'm surprised no one has put down Metal Gear or Metal Gear Solid for stealth action games. Maybe without those titles, we wouldn't have games like Splinter Cell or even Assasin's Creed in the current game market.
#30 Posted by yoshisaur (2717 posts) -

I want to say World of Warcraft, but I don't feel that they revolutionized the genre as much as just gathered attention for it. Nearly every mechanic in Vanilla WoW was already present, but not as popular.

I think Quake is responsible for the adrenaline filled FPS competition scene; while Doom is responsible for the effectiveness of the FPS genre as a whole.

#31 Posted by jerseyscum (875 posts) -

Grand Theft Auto 3.

Rockstar pretty much created the 3D open-world games that we know and love today with that title.

#32 Posted by Ben_H (3352 posts) -
@themangalist said:

I agree with these sentiments. I love basic "collect stuff, build units and kill the other dude" RTS games. This whole capture the flag and hold it for an hour RTS trend is not fun. Though I do adore Company of Heroes, it's just doing that in every game isn't fun.  I guess that's why I play Starcraft 2 so much.
#33 Posted by Ares42 (2661 posts) -

@ck1nd said:

I want to say World of Warcraft, but I don't feel that they revolutionized the genre as much as just gathered attention for it. Nearly every mechanic in Vanilla WoW was already present, but not as popular.

I think Quake is responsible for the adrenaline filled FPS competition scene; while Doom is responsible for the effectiveness of the FPS genre as a whole.

While you can look at it as "who did it first" rather than "how made it the standard", I'd say almost every revolutionizing idea out there you can find someone else that did it first but we generally give the credits to whoever proved it to actually be a superior idea. Doing something different and being completely ignored isn't revolutionizing a genre, however doing something successfully that noone else has is.

#34 Posted by Phatmac (5726 posts) -

Hovertank which made FPS a reality.

#35 Posted by BeachThunder (11927 posts) -

@Phatmac said:

Hovertank which made FPS a reality.
#36 Posted by Revixe06 (38 posts) -

Super Mario Bros.

Diablo II

EverQuest

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare

Minecraft

#37 Posted by g6065 (273 posts) -
#38 Posted by Captain_Felafel (1572 posts) -

Halo 2 in many ways revolutionized expectations for online game experiences, at least on consoles.

#39 Posted by granderojo (1788 posts) -
  1. I'm of the opinion that Mass Effect 2 is largely responsible for the resurgence in adventure game genre. You look at the stuff in the Telltale games, and a lot of the stuff coming down the pipe & they all use that Mass Effect 2 style dialog system. Heavy Rain seems to have failed in that regard.
  2. Rhythm Heaven seems to have reminded a lot of non-japanese developers again that rhythm mechanics exist and that they are fun small things to add to their games. Costume Quest comes to mind, along with the more recent Cook Serve Delicious!. I know that rhythm mechanics existed before Rhythm Heaven but the way they were implemented in other games recently are specifically similar to that game.
  3. Mount and Blade's multiplayer. Ushered in an entire new genre. Don't really need to explain it past that.
#40 Edited by BoOzak (919 posts) -

Devil May Cry changed how 3rd person action games worked.

@Nottle said:

Wasn't Virtua Fighter the first Polygonal fighting game?

Apparently.

EDIT: To answer the OP's question. Of course there will be more games that change certain genres (although I think FPS's are doomed thanks to CoD) eventually things become stale so even big companys who dont like taking risks have to take chances on new ideas. (or just wait for an indie developer to do it and claim it for their own)

#41 Posted by Vinny_Says (5706 posts) -

what made every single multiplayer game into a meta-rpg? Was it CoD4?