• 131 results
#1 Edited by LackingSaint (1764 posts) -

I know this has happened to me a few times and I wonder if you guys can relate. For me it was the final chapter of The Witcher 2; now I was really really enjoying that game up until the end, but that last area was just so bland and lifeless, it really drew me out of the experience after how superb it had been up until then. Singularity was a similar experience; somewhere around the second or third hour I went from being wholly immersed in the world to just finding it the most tedious thing.

So, what do you got?

#2 Posted by SecondPersonShooter (615 posts) -

After the first ten hours of Dragon's Dogma I realized that it was complete shit.

#3 Posted by Andorski (5173 posts) -

I agree with The Witcher 2's third act being a let down. Totally forgot all the characters' names, but I went with that asshole elf at the end of Act 1. The battle that took place in Act 2 was pretty epic. The dragon fight and the the fight with the other witcher failed to compare.

#4 Posted by StarvingGamer (7907 posts) -

First Uncharted, jet skis

#5 Edited by jimmyfenix (3806 posts) -

Assassins creed 3 after the first hour.

#6 Posted by Nonused (210 posts) -

Bioshock: Infinite for me. I was so excited at the start of that game, and the opening sequence was really phenomenal. But I think I experienced the same thing you did with Singularity and just got worn out by the third hour. Really, that game just became a downhill slope after the lighthouse bit.

Skyrim, too. Or maybe that was more of a slow burn. I made the arguably foolish decision to not use the quick travel system to get truly "immersed" in the world. Well, as it turns out, you see a lot of that world pretty quick. Still spent like 40 hours in Skyrim, but it left a really bad taste in my mouth.

#7 Edited by Random45 (995 posts) -

@andorski said:

I agree with The Witcher 2's third act being a let down. Totally forgot all the characters' names, but I went with that asshole elf at the end of Act 1. The battle that took place in Act 2 was pretty epic. The dragon fight and the the fight with the other witcher failed to compare.

Even with Roche, Act 3 isn't as good. The ending of Act 2 was definitely the high point of his path, and also one of the most difficult decisions that I had in a video game. The only other game I actually had to pause and think for like a half hour was The Walking Dead Episode 2. Still, I didn't think act 3 was that bad, I was satisfied with it, and I liked the confrontation with Letho at the end.

Speaking of the Walking Dead, I thought episode 3 was terrible. I IMMENSELY enjoyed episode 1 and 2, but then episode 3 came along and too many things happened too quickly and dramatically changed the rest of the series from that point onward. Fortunately, episode 4 and 5 were able to lift it up, but even then, I didn't enjoy those episodes as much as the first one due to how much I disliked the third one and what happened during that episode. Episode 3 kind of broke the illusion for me, making me realize how little choices actually mattered, since so many things happened that negate almost every single choice from episode 1 and 2.

#8 Edited by bigjeffrey (4706 posts) -

ass creed 3

#9 Posted by Video_Game_King (35802 posts) -

This thread's going places. Bad places.

#10 Edited by crithon (3052 posts) -

nothing tops Mass Effect 3. Kinda knew before hand the limited design structure, drop ship land onto a small little balcony of a beautiful skybox, chat with this dude and that dude, somewhat dark dialog is exchanged to flavor the shooting sequences. ME2 did all of that, and it didn't feel that much of a problem, just ME3 worked harder on just taking all of that away and into an even more narrow corridor and less options of bullshit excuses. Those turret sequences near the end were just pouring salt onto the wounds.

#11 Posted by alwaysbebombing (1503 posts) -

Little Big Planet. I was all :D during the tutorials and after seeing how great the world was. Then after playing it for a few hours I was like >:(

#12 Posted by HolyHackZack (105 posts) -

Ummm is Brutal Legend going to end up like this? I'm 4 hours in and it seems the directions it is going...

#13 Posted by Red (5994 posts) -

@nonused: I actually had that exact same experience with Skyrim. When you spend so much time traveling around in that world you realize how lifeless it really is. It still has some pretty amazing moments of genuine nonlinearity every once in a while, but such occurrences are too rare to outweigh the bugginess and tedium of the rest of the game.

#14 Posted by hanktherapper (370 posts) -

Xmen Origins: Wolverine. That game is so awesome but it clearly ran out of steam near the end. All the bosses were the same in that game. You could tell Raven were rushing to deadline near the end.

#15 Edited by ArtisanBreads (3720 posts) -

I don't agree about Witcher 2. The environment itself isn't as interesting, that's for sure, but everything is at such a pace and coming together towards a climax that more than makes up for it. I don't really get how someone could be let down, at all.

#16 Posted by wjb (1620 posts) -

Ummm is Brutal Legend going to end up like this? I'm 4 hours in and it seems the directions it is going...

Yeeeaaah...

Brutal Legend is a good example. I dunno, maybe you'll end up liking it?

#17 Posted by mosespippy (3978 posts) -

You've got maybe an hour and a half left before it gets properly terrible. Then there is like another 20 hours after that if I recall correctly.

#18 Posted by automatontribe (196 posts) -

After the first ten hours of Dragon's Dogma I realized that it was complete shit.

I realized that after four. One of the only games this generation I literally don't understand the love for. At all.

#19 Edited by Yummylee (21204 posts) -

Yup. Has a great introduction as you get a feel for everything, then it all devolves into a lifeless slog as you're running around this massive world on foot, with a story that is seemingly going nowhere, in the midst of a world that is completely static and never changes each time you travel through it. But then it gets great again at the end from the Dragon boss battle onwards.

#20 Posted by TowerSixteen (542 posts) -

I had this experience with Xenoblade Chronicles (honestly every Xeno game.) Characters with a decent setup who never really develop, plot and world with a strong start that goes trite and cliche in the second half, combat with promise that never really comes into it's own.

#21 Posted by Meltdown547 (9 posts) -

No one's mentioned Indigo Prophecy yet? I would have assumed that would be the go-to answer. Fastest spiraling out of control in any game I know of.

#22 Edited by Anjon (110 posts) -

Bioshock Infinite spoilers incoming:

-

-

-

-

The end of Bioshock Infinite was just complete garbage to me. The asylum level with the patients in George Washington masks took most of the fun out of the combat in favor of a shitty attempt at aping Silent Hill. The "boss fight" with Songbird was a poorly controlled tower defense game, and then the only thing that kept me going, Elizabeth, became a boring, emotionless deus ex machine/exposition engine for absolutely no reason.

She goes from being your companion exploring the story with you to "Okay, asshole, let me spend the next hour answering all the questions the audience never asked and be as monotonous as I possibly can whilst doing so." I almost thought she made a last-minute heel-turn before realizing it was just poor, poor writing.

#23 Posted by Atlas (2428 posts) -

@holyhackzack said:

Oh my god yes, Brutal Legend is the quintessential example of this. That game starts off really strong and absolutely falls off a cliff. It's kind of amazing, in a car crash sort of way. Ugh.

#24 Posted by Random45 (995 posts) -

No one's mentioned Indigo Prophecy yet? I would have assumed that would be the go-to answer. Fastest spiraling out of control in any game I know of.

Oh this is a perfect example! Yes, that game was so good 2/3 of the way through, and then all that magic crap happened and it's like, WHAT WENT WRONG?! Seriously, talk about leading to one of the most disjointed, disappointing, and flat out weird endings ever.

#25 Posted by Stonyman65 (2569 posts) -

GTAIV. I got bored to tears about half way through. It was the same thing over...and over...and over....and over again.

Go here. Chase this guy. Kill this guy. Mission complete.

#26 Posted by Yummylee (21204 posts) -

I think Dead Space 3 is another great example of a game that starts off OK, then just gets progressively worse as it goes on from the ice planet onwards, until culminating in one helluva shitty final stretch.

#27 Posted by DonChipotle (2693 posts) -

Once Bioshock Infinite got to Elizabeth it became a bad game.

#28 Posted by mosespippy (3978 posts) -

@stonyman65: That's been every GTA game since GTAIII. They haven't modernized at all unless you consider adding restarts to be modernizing.

#29 Posted by Lydian_Sel (2477 posts) -

Sadly, there isn't a satisfying end to that experience. More of a life lesson.

Dark Void comes to mind for me. The preview stuff looked really cool but actually playing that game was rough.

#30 Posted by TheHT (10796 posts) -
  • Max Payne 3
  • Assassin's Creed Revelations
  • The Force Unleashed 2
  • Pariah
#31 Edited by Yummylee (21204 posts) -
@theht said:

The Force Unleashed 2

Haven't played the sequel, but the original is definitely one such iconic example. First level? Awesome! Everything after that? FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF-

Also, Dead Island. The resort is clearly the highlight, as it only gets worse the deeper it goes.

#32 Posted by Clonedzero (4038 posts) -

LA Noire.

The first two desks were pretty damn amazing and interesting. The vice one was ok, not great but alright. But once you get to arson, ugh. It was a mess. The story got really bad and somehow really convoluted and simple at the same time. The cases got less involved and engaging. The game peaks in the murder desk and then its all downhill from there at a pretty constant rate till the big dumb predictable ending.

#33 Posted by DoctorDonkey (152 posts) -

@yummylee: I'm coming up on the last few chapters of DS3 and this is true. I think Brad said it as well, but the game puts the best and most Dead Space-esque stuff in the first third of the game. I was enjoying the decent tension it was creating in the creepy long abandoned ships floating in space, and then you head to the planet and it just nose dives from there. The game starts relying on throwing tons of necromorphs at you at once and it just obliterates any tension it had, because once you craft a good weapon, which isn't hard to do, you can just mow through hundreds of necros without too much concern.

#34 Edited by dOm_CaTz (202 posts) -

I thought the "Terminator Reaper Baby" from Mass Effect 2 was really fucking dumb. The Force Unleashed 2 is a good one, has it's moments but then it just shits all over itself. The end of Connor's stuff(and the end of AC3 in general) made me just go "wtf did I just play" such a bad experience with that game.

#35 Posted by DeadpanCakes (774 posts) -

Okay, so I wouldn't necessarily brand this game as terrible, but Xenoblade.

When the game started to become MMO-esque minus almost everything I find interesting in an MMO, it started to go south for me. I also really disliked the way that game was paced, but that wasn't sudden enough for me to consider it "surprising." Again, not a terrible game (I'd still recommend that game to some people), just not the type of game I can enjoy.

#36 Posted by TheHT (10796 posts) -

@yummylee: Ugh, the sequel was like $60 DLC. 2 new powers, nonsense story, the same levels repeated (not including the completely random 5 minute Dagobah level that serves only to get Yoda in on the commercials). It's the worst.

#37 Posted by TurboMan (7340 posts) -

Psychonauts.

Meat Circus.

#38 Edited by afabs515 (1003 posts) -

AC3, GTAV, and RE6 come to mind immediately.

Edit: just saw someone above me post Dead Island. Yup.

#39 Edited by AlKusanagi (897 posts) -

Deadpool. The first 80% of the game was pure, dumb fun, and then when you get to that shitty slog of a final chapter, it just ruined everything.

#40 Posted by Evilsbane (4517 posts) -

I don't agree about Witcher 2. The environment itself isn't as interesting, that's for sure, but everything is at such a pace and coming together towards a climax that more than makes up for it. I don't really get how someone could be let down, at all.

Same really surprised by the sentiment but to each their own I thought Witcher 2 was one of the best 10 games Ever I have quote from Brad.

Also Assassins Creed 3 only AC game I have completed.

#41 Edited by HolyHackZack (105 posts) -

I'll put another session into Brutal Legend before I decide on calling it. What about Hitman: Absolution?

Others I enjoyed more at the beginning than the end:

Farcry 3

Bulletstorm

Chivalry (killed but terrible patches last I checked)

Zeno Clash

Bioshock, last act

Arkham City

I also make usually make it past the first small town of any loot grinding game to the big hub and hate how the game gets paced till the end. Borderlands, Torchlight, Dead Island, etc.

#42 Posted by Humanity (8712 posts) -

Here let me list all the games that I just don't like and a few that are universally loved to stir up a bit of controversy. So like, Walking Dead, Brothers, Skyrim ehh whichever Mario world game were currently on..some other indie darlings and whatnot. Yah those ones.

#43 Posted by marc (474 posts) -

Killzone Shadowfall is probably the most recent example of this for me

#44 Posted by SunBroZak (979 posts) -

Yeah, I genuinely enjoyed Mass Effect 3 until that last mission. What a stupid ending.

#45 Posted by BeachThunder (11637 posts) -

Yep, first thing that came to mind. That game really lost me towards the end. I kept thinking back to the brilliant opening, then wondering how it became so ridiculous =|

#46 Posted by NTM (7234 posts) -

@lackingsaint: I wouldn't say The Witcher 2 became terrible at the end, but for me, I just played it this year and I went in expecting at least forty hours of play, but in the end, it was only around twenty to do everything the game had to offer in the way of missions. The ending was also pretty dull, perhaps even more so when you choose not to kill Letho since all you do is walk off and then the end, which was just kind of dumb.

I liked my time with The Witcher 2 enough to be excited for the third, but the game ending when it did, and how it ended disappointed me, and I have no desire to play the game again any time soon. I bought it and beat it about four months ago on 360. Speaking about killing Letho or not, I have no idea what happens if you choose to fight him. Maybe I'll have to check that out on YouTube.

#47 Edited by NTM (7234 posts) -

@beachthunder said:

@meltdown547 said:

Yep, first thing that came to mind. That game really lost me towards the end. I kept thinking back to the brilliant opening, then wondering how it became so ridiculous =|

No, the game didn't make me dislike it due to the end, though I agree it went awkwardly. Not only for it being a bit too crazy, but also abrupt with character relationships and what have you.

#48 Posted by Anjon (110 posts) -

@ntm said:

@beachthunder said:

@meltdown547 said:

No, the game didn't make me dislike it due to the end, though I agree it went awkwardly. Not only for it being a bit too crazy, but also abrupt with character relationships and what have you.

Just a bit.

#49 Posted by Pr1mus (3777 posts) -

Didn't exactly become terrible but every new chapter in Alan Wake had a bit more combat than the previous one. By chapter 4 it started to be too much and became really egregious by the end of the game. I never finished the two DLC episodes since they continued on the same trajectory.

#50 Edited by HerbieBug (4193 posts) -

KOTOR 2.