• 63 results
Lucifer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Lucifer

Personally, I think The Legend of Zelda: Majora´s Mask was one of those games. It got a lot of bad feedback because of the "three days system" and for being to different from Ocarina of Time. But people going back to it nowadays seems to be enjoying it a lot more. Perhaps because it is different from alot of the other Zelda games. I think Majora´s Mask is at least as good as Ocarina of time and back in the day I thought so too. Perhaps because i was 6 years old and I thought turning into a goron was cool. :P

Share your thoughts.

No Caption Provided
AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By AhmadMetallic

well im only familiar with 00s games, anything older than that i was too young to notice.. soo since 2000 i believe Max Payne has always impressed me for a 2001 game, Half-Life 2 was a huge FPS achievement, and Cryostasis seems to be more visionary than usual.. 

Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By Venatio

I thought Jak 3 was ahead of its time, the graphics and animations were mindblowing

Cerza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Cerza
No Caption Provided

Primal. It was a game that was and still IS truly ahead of it's time. The quality of the games script and voice acting was mind blowing and is still leagues above and beyond most games produced today. The games minimalist HUD still puts most current games minimalist HUDs to shame. The kick ass sound track that was both surprising and original and really pulled you into the combat, which was a very experimental touch sensitive system involving the Dual Shock 2's shoulder buttons. Even today Primal continues to impress me as being way before its time. The only thing that hasn't aged well is the graphics, but graphics don't make the game.
Avatar image for fancifulunicorn
fancifulunicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By fancifulunicorn

I played all the zelda games as they came out (except for that 4 swords GC one) and I have always thought Majora's Mask was the best.  I remember being flabbergasted when it started to come back that people didn't like it so well.  OoT is great, but it's not as original as MM and doesn't have as interesting themes or gameplay.

yates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By yates

I guess the obvious choice would be the original Metroid.

US NES Box Art
US NES Box Art

No platform games at that time were anything like it. It was non-linear and had a massive open world to explore with power-ups to collect along the way.
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#7  Edited By Video_Game_King

I'd say the Virtual Boy was ahead of its time, and that's precisely why it failed. Other than that...FF9 and the first two Phantasy Star games.

coolfurby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By coolfurby

Halo

atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By atejas

The sad part is it's stayed ahead.
CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By CL60

It had 18 WHEELS OF THUNDER!
Metroid545

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By Metroid545
@Video_Game_King said:
" I'd say the Virtual Boy was ahead of its time, and that's precisely why it failed. Other than that...FF9 and the first two Phantasy Star games. "
the virtual boy failed because the systems and game were complete failures except wario that was good
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Video_Game_King
@Metroid545: 

That was because the system itself was crap, and that was because the technology of the time couldn't make the idea viable nor affordable.
Metroid545

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Metroid545

also i would say half life 2, no game has made such a large step further into the EPS genre then HL2

agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By agentboolen
@CL60 said:
"
"

Did this come out before Sega's Arcade/Dreamcast game 18 Wheeler??  Just curious.
Metroid545

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Metroid545
@Video_Game_King said:
" @Metroid545:   That was because the system itself was crap, and that was because the technology of the time couldn't make the idea viable nor affordable. "
right the system sucked so in turn the games did too, agreed
CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By CL60
@agentboolen said:
" @CL60 said:
"
"
Did this come out before Sega's Arcade/Dreamcast game 18 Wheeler??  Just curious. "
Nope
Damian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Damian
@Cerza: Primal was was one fantastic game, that more people should have picked up. If they remade it today it'd still feel fresh.
Th3_James

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Th3_James

Waffle House 2012: The Game

I think it is ahead of its time because it has not been made yet....but when it is, oh man will it be inovative

it will have many advanced physic systems running simultaneous, to create the most authentic atmosphere, Real Butter Melt Physics, Dynamic syrup, advanced grits intelligence. You play as Aunt Jemima, you work at a waffle house when a unknown attack threatens the earth's syrup supply. Use Aunt Jemima's Spec Ops training to track down and stop the aliens!....oh ya theres aliens

CAN'T WAIT!!!

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Video_Game_King
@Metroid545: 

Yea, but our disagreement was on the root cause of the failure. My belief was the technology-thing I mentioned before.
CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By CL60
@Th3_James said:
" Waffle House 2012: The Game  I think it is ahead of its time because it has not been made yet....but when it is, oh man will it be inovative   it will have many advanced physic systems running simultaneous, to create the most authentic atmosphere, Real Butter Melt Physics, Dynamic syrup, advanced grits intelligence. You play as Aunt Jemima, you work at a waffle house when a unknown attack threatens the earth's syrup supply. Use Aunt Jemima's Spec Ops training to track down and stop the aliens!....oh ya theres aliens   CAN'T WAIT!!! "
I'm currently developing that. How did you find out about it?
Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Akeldama

i would say SotC

Th3_James

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Th3_James
@CL60 said:
" @Th3_James said:
" Waffle House 2012: The Game  I think it is ahead of its time because it has not been made yet....but when it is, oh man will it be inovative   it will have many advanced physic systems running simultaneous, to create the most authentic atmosphere, Real Butter Melt Physics, Dynamic syrup, advanced grits intelligence. You play as Aunt Jemima, you work at a waffle house when a unknown attack threatens the earth's syrup supply. Use Aunt Jemima's Spec Ops training to track down and stop the aliens!....oh ya theres aliens   CAN'T WAIT!!! "
I'm currently developing that. How did you find out about it? "
Fuck, i better patent FAST.......
Famov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Famov

Most of what was mentioned hit the big ones. But for me, the most 'ahead of its time' game I can think of is the NES classic, The Legend of Zelda. It's so ahead of its time that it manages to be more playable than its immediate sequal by leaps and bounds.
ShaneDev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ShaneDev
@atejas said:
"
"

Why dont they make another its been so long
Druminator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Druminator

I gotta say a lot of games on N64 were before their time, Mario 64 was the first 3D game to get it right, GoldenEye pretty much raised the bar when it comes to FPS, no adventure/rpg has captivated me as much as OoT/MM did, and StarFox 64 speakes for it self. That's just how I feel though.

rateoforange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By rateoforange
@ShaneDev: Well so would I. Unfortunately here's the skinny, quoted from a post on the relic forums. May be somewhat outdated, but I doubt the situation has improved.

"The facts are as follows:
  • Sierra/Vivendi Universal (VU Games) own the rights to the Homeworld Universe as a part of the original publishing deal for Homeworld.
  • Relic Entertainment is the developer of Homeworld and Homeworld 2.
  • Barking Dog is the developer of Homeworld:Cataclysm.
  • Neither Relic Entertainment or Barking Dog (who were bought out by Rockstar Games Canada) are able to make another Homeworld game unless hired to do so by Sierra/VU.
  • After the release of Homeworld 2, Relic Entertainment were purchased by publisher THQ, and now exclusively make games for them.
  • The CEO of Relic Entertainment and originator of Homeworld, Alex Garden, has left Relic and THQ to pursue other projects.
  • As THQ do not own the rights to the Homeworld Universe, it is extremely unlikely (read: not going to happen) that Relic will make another Homeworld game (if they even wanted to).
  • It is also extremely unlikely that Sierra/VU Games will hire another publisher to make another Homeworld game.
  • In a nutshell, it is extremely unlikely that we will ever see a Homeworld 3."
alexl86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#27  Edited By alexl86

Everyone are going to hate on me for this, but here goes:

Final Fantasy VII

*awaits verbal abuse*

ShaneDev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By ShaneDev
@rateoforange: I think relic bought back the rights to Homeworld and i read that they where "looking'' at the IP, atleast thats what i read on some Homeworld Wiki 
  Anyway it would be nice to see Homeworld 3 and some more of those cutscenes.
eclipsesis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By eclipsesis
@Venatio said:
" I thought Jak 3 was ahead of its time, the graphics and animations were mindblowing "
Agreed, Jak 3 was an amazing game as is the series.
Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Linkyshinks

Halol

Gorgon Apple 2

Robo_Zuul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Robo_Zuul

A lot of the games mentioned in this thread weren't ahead of their time, but were ON TIME.  If a game is a huge success and follows after an established pattern odds are it's not ahead of its time.  It's not showing signs of trends years before.  Jak 3, Majoras Mask, and Homeworld are all such games.  While sllghtly under appreciated, they were by no means blazing innovators.  Years later we aren't saying "look at all those Homeworld like games", there were very few "space RTSs" .

Games that were ahead of their time?  Try Ecstatia: 

The game virtually created the survival horror genre YEARS before Resident Evil.
LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By LiquidPrince

MGS I'd say.

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By PureRok

I don't think some people in this thread understand what "ahead of it's time" means.

Zaerus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Zaerus

Jurassic Park: Trespasser 

It was pretty heavy on the physics when it wasn't really been used in that way.
Maybe not everyone will agree with me that it's a great game, but it definatly had a technological advantage at that time.

No Caption Provided
HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Resident evil 4, crysis

Lucifer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Lucifer
@PureRok said:
" I don't think some people in this thread understand what "ahead of it's time" means. "
Yeah I´m kinda confused myself. I Mean, I even spelled the title wrong
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#37  Edited By AgentJ
@alexl86 said:
" Everyone are going to hate on me for this, but here goes:  Final Fantasy VII  *awaits verbal abuse* "
I'm not going to hate, but explain the reasoning
Brockly46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Brockly46

Sektion9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Sektion9

HAMMERCLAW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By HAMMERCLAW
@Lucifer:
Don't be flashing pictures like that; I just put the N64 back IN the closet.
sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#41  Edited By sjschmidt93
@CL60 said:
"
"
Brunchies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Brunchies
@SJSchmidt93: 18 Wheels of FUCKING THUNDER, THAT MADE A TEAR OF HAPPINESS run down my face "Sob sob sob"
alexl86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#43  Edited By alexl86
@AgentJ said:
" @alexl86 said:
" Everyone are going to hate on me for this, but here goes:  Final Fantasy VII  *awaits verbal abuse* "
I'm not going to hate, but explain the reasoning "
They set the standard for what a 3D JRPG should be and as a result, ushered in a new era of really good RPGs. It also made RPGs on consoles popular in the western market. They also were the first who did FMV sequences right, sequences that transitioned back into the gameplay. That should satisfy the criteria for "being ahead of it's time".
Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Ghostiet

I'd say Robinson's Requiem. Although not 100%, because the game failed a lot in execution.

Valkyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

#45  Edited By Valkyr
@Robo_Zuul said:

" A lot of the games mentioned in this thread weren't ahead of their time, but were ON TIME.  If a game is a huge success and follows after an established pattern odds are it's not ahead of its time.  It's not showing signs of trends years before.  Jak 3, Majoras Mask, and Homeworld are all such games.  While sllghtly under appreciated, they were by no means blazing innovators.  Years later we aren't saying "look at all those Homeworld like games", there were very few "space RTSs" .

The game virtually created the survival horror genre YEARS before Resident Evil. "
I played this game with my best friend when we were kids and yes, it did blow our minds by that time, we were 7 or 8 and now we are 21, we still have nostalgic conversations about this game, ahh.. what an awesome time when we went through every single player game together, then MMORPGs killed our late childhood.
L33tfella_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By L33tfella_H
@Robo_Zuul said:

The game virtually created the survival horror genre YEARS before Resident Evil. "
Alone in the Dark created survival horror YEARS before Resident Evil aswell :P

@Zaerus said:

" Jurassic Park: Trespasser 

It was pretty heavy on the physics when it wasn't really been used in that way.
Maybe not everyone will agree with me that it's a great game, but it definatly had a technological advantage at that time.

"

Trespasser is brilliant...it's also EXTREMELY broken...but the many ideas it had have been put to good use and alot of features still haven't been done ever again. (i think i remember Valve stating that the implementation of Physics for HL2 was inspired greatly by trespasser [Which was 'technically' a competitor to HL1 funny enough], and S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Shadow of Chernobyl has a bit more limited, but similar idea to the Emotion system they wanted to have in place for the A.I, King Kong pretty much Downright ripped it's idea of a minimal hud [Sadly no Health Bar on tits for the Main Charcter of King Kong], especially the idea of the main character telling you how much ammunition he had verbally).
EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By EVO

Crysis

From a technical standpoint, it is head and shoulders above any game. It could be years before we see a game surpass it.

Demo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Demo

The Legend Of Zelda;
Metroid (even though I hate it);

I can't think of anymore right now. SM64 and OOT were natural evolutions, and rather late so they weren't ahead of time, just innovative.

Btw, I can't stand Majora's Mask. 3 days, confusing as hell and simply not fun. The story and music were excellent though, shame they couldn't be applied in a better game.

fuzzyponken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By fuzzyponken

Quake. Developers were still churning out pixel shooters for years after Quake had been released.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#50  Edited By Meowayne

No Caption Provided

I regard Mirror's Edge as greatly ahead of its time. Some unnecessary gameplay choices prevented this game from getting the attention and audience it might have attracted, caused more frustration than was good for it, and was forgotten all too quickly. However, few games are as modern, as "current-gen" and as intelligent when it comes to their visuals, presentation, immersion and medium awareness. 
It was a literal leap of faith for EA and DICE, but (much to their own fault, I have to admit) the sales and reviews had them quickly return to HUD-ridden, generic action gaming.  A pity. 

One of the few and rare games that don't try to be movies, and one of the very few who are not necessarily awesome because of that. To think what a sequel with the annoyances ironed out would be.