• 51 results
Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By Afroman269

So ya, any you guys notice a game that you don't really feel the urge at all to pick up but then decided to drop the cash on it in the last few days leading up to release? 

I had this mindset with Dead Space 2. I enjoyed the first game and was mildly interested in the sequel but I just didn't have the interest in picking it up day 1. I guess that the number of positive reviews helped me change and influenced my decision in just getting it anyways. I think I might repeat that here with Killzone 3. I'm kinda on the fence on whether I should just pass on this or not. 

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By MrKlorox

Modern Warfare 2 was the last one I can think of. I shoulda stuck with my gut.

Oh and I guess Super Meat Boy. That one was a good purchase though.

I have a feeling the next one could be Mortal Kombat.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By JJOR64

Halo 3 ODST.  Really wish I didn't buy it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5afdd08777389
deactivated-5afdd08777389

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.  :-( Saw it at Target and thought it couldn't be too bad...

Yelix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Yelix

Monster Hunter Tri. I had a distinct lack of interest/sort of dislike for the series but after seeing the Quick Look and hearing more about it, I bought it and spent 20-30 hours with it. Pretty cool game.

moelarrycurly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By moelarrycurly

Batman: Arkham Asylum.  Still one of the best on-the-spot decisions I've ever made.

Bloodgraiv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By Bloodgraiv3

Trine, and I loved it. 
MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#8  Edited By MildMolasses

AC Brotherhood. Really didn't like AC II but after watching the quicklook and seeing that they amped up the few things I did like, I bought it 

Dead Space 2 

Dragon Age: Origins. I bought it on a whim because it was on sale and I though the price mark down was a mistake

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Afroman269
@MrKlorox: Yes! That one got me too. I blame hype on that one.
ShaneDev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By ShaneDev

Assassins Creed 2. I was think just before the game came out that it looked too much like the first game to be worth buying (despite how much I loved the first game) but when I was looking around the shop I just decided there and then to get it and was glad I did because it was a great game.    

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By MrKlorox
@wewantsthering said:
" S.T.A.L.K.E.R.  :-( Saw it at Target and thought it couldn't be too bad... "
It's not. STALKER is the best, freshest FPS series in a long long time. The only mistake would be playing it in vanilla form.
Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Aus_azn

FINAL FANTASY XI Ultimate Collection. Wasn't too bad, just...different...
DiRT 2. Sprang for it when it went on sale on Steam. Amazing.

SMTDante89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#13  Edited By SMTDante89

Well, it wasn't "last minute" exactly since it was after release, but Demons' Souls was a game I had no interest in until my friend talked about how much he loved it, then the internet was buzzing about it.  Decided to find the cash needed to get it and then it became my GotY that year.

pantzing_nome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By pantzing_nome

Soul Caliber 4 I wasn't planing on getting it but when I was at future shop with my friend I decided to pick it up and spent the rest of the night playing it with my friend.

Avatar image for deactivated-5afdd08777389
deactivated-5afdd08777389

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@MrKlorox: Don't get me wrong, I loved the atmosphere, Russian culture, and the overall story. What do you mean vanilla form? Like modded? If so, you're not really playing THAT game anymore. I bought it near release so almost no modifications were available, it ran super choppy on Medium settings on my gaming rig, and the difficulty was insane and not in a Super Meat Boy good kind of way.
ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#16  Edited By ProfessorEss

AC Brotherhood. I, like so many others, assumed it was just a multi-player focused rehash of AC2.

Rehash? Maybe. Lacking in single-player content? No sir.

Zippedbinders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#17  Edited By Zippedbinders

The worst $8 I've ever spent was on a clearance copy of Fable 2. I rather enjoyed the first one, but there were a number of games I felt were more interesting, so when I happened upon it at a Target, I figured, "Why not? Plenty of sites gave it a good review and my less serious friends enjoyed it." I want my goddamn money back Molyneux, all $8 of it. 

On the opposite end of the spectrum, Endless Frontier was a game I had heard a little about and had read absolutely no reviews. Not only did I end up loving it, but its one of the few JRPGs that I've actually finished. 

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By MrKlorox

I was also gonna skip AC Brotherhood since I had just finished AC2 when it came out, but GB's hype kept that flame stoked. Now it's sitting here staring at me and I don't feel like finishing it.

@wewantsthering said:

" @MrKlorox: Don't get me wrong, I loved the atmosphere, Russian culture, and the overall story. What do you mean vanilla form? Like modded? If so, you're not really playing THAT game anymore. I bought it near release so almost no modifications were available, it ran super choppy on Medium settings on my gaming rig, and the difficulty was insane and not in a Super Meat Boy good kind of way. "
Well that totally depends on what's been changed. Sure it's the same game if the mods are more like fan made patches that don't really change the actual gameplay (such as your basic Complete 2012 mod) and focus on graphics and atmosphere. I also got it when it was brand new after following it for a number of years and it was super disappointing at first. But after starting a darker nights mod and tweaking some of the AI to not notice you from hundreds of feet away in pitch black darkness, it started to become the game it was supposed to be. Yeah it didn't run well at all with full dynamic lighting on the hardware that was out when it was brand new; but it does now, especially without graphical updates (but who would want to play it that way?). 

There are a number of things in it to make the game more difficult (weapon degredation causing jamming and inaccuracy, carry weight, multiple health systems, anomalies, etc...) but those add to the survival and role-playing aspects. I guess it all depends on what one considers 'good aspects' of difficulty. All Super Meat Boy had were platforming hazards, which makes it decidedly less difficult when you don't have a bunch of other elements to worry about.

Vanilla SoC was much less than it could have been, and Complete SoC is so much more than anybody who has only played the vanilla version could expect. 99% of the time you see people talking about STALKER SoC, they're talking about it with the Complete mod or something similar.
Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By WinterSnowblind

I've done this with the past few big Zelda and GTA releases..  Have no interest through out all the hype, then at the last minute realise there's a new Zelda/GTA game coming out and buy it immediately.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#20  Edited By StarvingGamer

Halo: Reach, quicklook sold me on it because it was just so damn pretty.  I regret making that decision now.

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Afroman269
@MrKlorox: Brotherhood not hold your attention?
MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By MrKlorox
@Afroman269:  I think it would have if I hadn't come straight off of AC2 before playing it. I've got everything done and am sitting at the beginning of sequence 8. I realize starting the first mission will be the last thing I get to do before the end-game portion, but nothing is compelling me to get it over with other than to write it off as finished.
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By iam3green

left 4 dead 1, i bought it when it came out not expecting something good. it was actually good. i got the second one on PC and thought it was so much better. i am waiting for left 4 dead 1 to go on sale to get it on steam. i ended up letting my friend borrow it so i never got to see it again.

Tsoglani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Tsoglani

I did this with Red Faction Guerrilla, and also with Dragon Age Origins; have not regretted these decisions, as both games have proven fruitful in the enjoyment and entertainment stakes.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#25  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

Brotherhood and Castllevania LOS 
do not regret buying those game.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#26  Edited By jakob187

I most famously trash-talked and bad-mouthed Fallout 3 on these forums from the moment it was announced.  Something at the last minute before the midnight release made me decide to blow $60 on the game.  Oddly enough, Wal-Mart only had collector's editions at midnight, so I spent $80 on a game that I talked massive amounts of slander and poison about. 

I am not dissatisfied with my purchase.  I don't own the game anymore, but I still have the sweet collector's edition shit.  I plan on picking up the GOTY edition at some point...which, actually, I might go order that right now from somewhere dirt cheap!

dtat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By dtat

Magicka. Downloading right now.

Illmatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Illmatic

Super Meat Boy.....gah! Mother! Fucking! Super! Meat Boy!

dungbootle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By dungbootle

Super Meat Boy when I saw the $3.75 sale on Steam. Awesome game needless to say

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By TheGreatGuero

Halo: Reach and Call of Duty: Black Ops.

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#31  Edited By Skald
MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#32  Edited By MooseyMcMan

Viewtiful Joe. I had zero interest in the game, but then I played some in store demo of it (remember, this game came out YEARS ago at this point), and instantly fell in love with it and bought it on the spot. 

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#33  Edited By FancySoapsMan

Bejeweled 3

I regret that purchase.

Anupsis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Anupsis

Borderlands for me. The day before it came out the hype got to me and so many people were excited for it I was like fine I will pick it up. I should of went with my first thought that it looked boring. I found it a big grind fest and I just could not get into it.

canucks23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By canucks23

Ugh... this thread just reminds me that i do this a lot. In fact i just did this with dead space 2 a couple days ago.

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Afroman269
@FancySoapsMan: Ouch, as cool as that game is, I would never drop $20 on a match 3 game. 

@MrKlorox: Ya I held off on the game at first because I thought it was multiplayer focused but then after seeing the lengthy campaign, I still waited. I think now I put enough distance between AC 2 and Brotherhood, so I may finally get that game.
pantzing_nome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By pantzing_nome

Yakuza 2: Never heard of it before I heard some people talking about, it took a while to track down but it was worth it because it became one of my favorite ps2 games. 
COD 4: I had rented COD 3 and really didn't like so I had no interest  in 4 until I was on my Christmas break and everyone on my friends list was playing it, their recommendations made me go out and buy it.

Trebz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Trebz

Modern Warfare 2 is one. I was planning on not buying it new and just renting it or something, but my friends pressured me into buying it on launch day. Fortunately, I had a lot of fun with it, both offline and on, so it was a good $60 even if I wasn't the super-cool rebel I was hoping to be. 

The other one I can think of recently was Red Dead Redemption. I didn't really think about it until I saw the high Metacritic score a few days before it came out. I started watching a bunch of trailers and hyped myself up and pre-ordered it. Definitely an excellent decision.

HereAllDay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By HereAllDay

Modnation Racers, decent game, not for me though.

demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#40  Edited By demontium
@Afroman269: ODST (and i regret it) and left 4 dead 2.
Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Akeldama

CODBLOPS

choffy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By choffy21

Batman: Arkham Asylum immediately comes to mind, and that was great. And I find myself doing this every year with both NCAA Football and Madden. I need to break the habit this year.

wrathofconn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#43  Edited By wrathofconn

Dude, I felt that way about an entire platform. My roommate had a 360 a couple of years ago, and I played a few games on it here and there, but never felt much of a pull to get one myself. I was happy with my Wii and PS3, and even cultivated a strong dislike for some of the things associated with the system. But then I saw the commercials for the limited edition Reach 360, and I was like "dang, I guess I'm going to buy one of those". Turned out to be a pretty good decision, though I don't really buy multiplatform games for it if I can help it.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#44  Edited By Enigma777

Dead Space 2 - a drunken purchase 
AC Brotherhood - I absolutely hated AC2, but this game has redeemed the entire franchise for me 
Gears of War 2  - 31 times xp weekend, 'nuff said...
Black Ops - preordered it the day before it came out. I still regret it, even though I bought it for $45 and sold it for $40....

Sulla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Sulla

Fable II is the most recent one, namely this week.  I've already returned it, so I'll try to resist last-minute changes of heart from now on. There's also a bunch of those games in my Steam library for obvious reasons, but I haven't played them yet.

FesteringNeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#46  Edited By FesteringNeon

I do this with online shopping all the time. Someone had posted that 3D Dot Game Heroes was on sale for $15/shipped.. and thought the charm alone would justify the purchase... then I saw they had Demon's Souls. While I have a buddy that would have kindly lent me his copy anytime... I just decided to buy it since it was so cheaply priced. GLAAAD I did, as DS is one of my favorite games this generation!

dutch42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By dutch42

Reach, definately Reach.
StingerMK2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By StingerMK2

GTA4 was a big one for me, i never really got into GTA 3/SA/whateverthehelltheotheronewascalled, i thought they were alright for a 15 minute blast here and there, mainly committing attrocities and see how long i could survive whilst being chased by the cops, but for some reason i got hyped for GTA4, i got burned, didnt enjoy it at all, THEN i go do exactly the same thing with RDR, turns out im a bit of a sucker like that, didnt like that either 

Halo Reach was another one, i had only had about 4 hours total on the multiplayer of halo 2 roung a friends house, for some reason Reach was a really snap decision and i just decided to buy it on the spot whilst in a shop, howver i dont feel so burned by that, i actually enjoyed my time with it, i dont play it anymore but thats fine not all games need a 100 hour lifespan to enjoy

Solemn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Solemn

Crimson Skies is the only one I can think of. I don't regret getting that game.

tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By tebbit