Games that you'll never again associate with their proper titles

Wacomole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Wacomole

Thanks to Giant Bomb, I don't think I'll ever think of Sleeping Dogs as anything but "Sleepy Dawgs."

Also whenever I hear the name of a certain World of Warcraft expansion pack, I will always think "Cattackalysm!"

How about you guys? Do you have any games that to you, whenever you hear of them, they will forever be known as someone other than their proper name thanks to this (or another) site?

(NB. And, just so you know, I'm not fishing for any "Call of Duty will forever be know as rubbish" shenanigans here either!)

Cheers!

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By MariachiMacabre

Thanks to YouTube personality "edbassmaster" I will forever call Black Ops "Carl on Duty: Black Cops".

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#3  Edited By ThePickle

Sleepy Dogs and Die-ab-low

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By FluxWaveZ

L.A. Noire into "La Noiré" because of Weekend Confirmed.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Animasta

black ops = blops (I believe that was a Rock Paper Shotgun thing)

and assassins creed brotherhood = asscreed:bro

Mighty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Mighty

Sleepy Dogs and BlOps are the two that I always say.

My buddies don't like it...

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Oldirtybearon

I personally want to stab Ryan wherever it would hurt him the most for introducing "sleepy dawgs" to the world. It is the most grating sewage I've ever heard spill out of someone's mouth aside from the sound of old people fucking.

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By SomeDeliCook

I always refer to Deus Ex and Douche Ecks 
I actually really love Human Revolution

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By MariachiMacabre
@Oldirtybearon

I personally want to stab Ryan wherever it would hurt him the most for introducing "sleepy dawgs" to the world. It is the most grating sewage I've ever heard spill out of someone's mouth aside from the sound of old people fucking.

Jesus...the fuck is wrong with you? Scorched-Earth levels of hostility. And he didn't introduce the nickname. I heard it on other podcasts before I heard him ever say it.
KevinK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By KevinK

@Oldirtybearon said:

Agree, 100%.

"Sleepy Dawgs" is so obnoxious. If that game was shit, I wouldn't care. But because it's really good, the silly name crap is totally too derisive.

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By recroulette

The "Sleepy Dawgs" thing drives me insane as well. Not sure why. Maybe because with that one I never hear it the normal way, unlike some of these other ones.

Avatar image for thebeastwithtwobacks
thebeastwithtwobacks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Some lame youtube video makes me forever think Cock of Duty 4: Modern Gay Ass Fuck. I think its a good game, I just can't not call it that for some reason.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Animasta

@KevinK said:

@Oldirtybearon said:

Agree, 100%.

"Sleepy Dawgs" is so obnoxious. If that game was shit, I wouldn't care. But because it's really good, the silly name crap is totally too derisive.

I love the game and I love the name.

It makes me think that it's a song from a 70's prog rock band.

Avatar image for saturdaynightspecials
SaturdayNightSpecials

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

I like Sleepy Dogs because Sleeping Dogs is a bad title for a good game and deserves to be made fun of.

I had no idea there were so many depressing people on here gnashing their teeth over it.

dungbootle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By dungbootle

Sleepy Dawgs is a great game and a great name

DizzyMedal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By DizzyMedal

@SaturdayNightSpecials said:

I like Sleepy Dogs because Sleeping Dogs is a bad title for a good game and deserves to be made fun of.

I had no idea there were so many depressing people gnashing their teeth over it.

While I don't mind the nickname or the correct name, may I ask why Sleeping Dogs is a bad title? Just curious.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#17  Edited By Hailinel

I will never, ever use the title Sleepy Dogs. It's nothing but a mockery of the game.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18  Edited By Oldirtybearon

@MariachiMacabre said:

@Oldirtybearon

Jesus...the fuck is wrong with you? Scorched-Earth levels of hostility. And he didn't introduce the nickname. I heard it on other podcasts before I heard him ever say it.

What? I can't be ridiculously hyperbolic about something inconsequential and stupid? Isn't that kind of... what this entire site is built on?

Maybe I should've added more LULZ JUST KIDDIN' GUIZ or something.

dethfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#19  Edited By dethfish

Sleepy Dawgs should just be an alias for the Sleeping Dogs game page at this point.

tsiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By tsiro

Dish Onored.

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By PillClinton

@MariachiMacabre said:

Thanks to YouTube personality "edbassmaster" I will forever call Black Ops "Carl on Duty: Black Cops".

Well, would ya look at that?

JazGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By JazGalaxy

@Oldirtybearon said:

There was some game on the game of the year discussions that he was trying to intentionally mispronounce and it was annoying. Overlookable, but annoying. But then, later on in the podcast, he accidentally pronounced it correctly, EXCUSED HIMSELF and intentionally repronounced it wrong. That's one of those times you just wish you could crawl through your computer and stab someone.

I wish I could remember what game it was.

Avatar image for saturdaynightspecials
SaturdayNightSpecials

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

@DizzyMedal said:

I had no idea there were so many depressing people gnashing their teeth over it.

While I don't mind the nickname or the correct name, may I ask why Sleeping Dogs is a bad title? Just curious.

For one thing it doesn't suggest action, crime, cops, martial arts, or an East Asian setting in any way. For another thing, I've beat the game and the title doesn't have any more significance than when I first saw it. I guess Wei's history with the triads was the sleeping dog that the cops should have let lie? That barely makes sense.

It should be a more obvious connection if it's going to be the title of the game.

JazGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By JazGalaxy

I had no idea there were so many depressing people on here gnashing their teeth over it.

I have no idea what makes something annoying, but I think it has a lot to do with Ryan Davis intentionally making sure he calls it that all the time.

It's not a shortening nickname or something like that, like KOTOR, it's him trying to be funny or something. And honestly, I don't mind the Sleeping Dogs one because it's a play on the fact that it sounds like people say Sleepy Dogs when they say Sleeping Dogs. There's SOME wit to it. But intentionally mispronouncing things is the dumbest, lamest, most most unfunny form of comedy there is. I used to get really annoyed when Homestar Runner would do it to.

It's as funny as typos. If you can be entertained by that, probably also entertain yourself by eating paste and farting a lot.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By ripelivejam

i remember there being a snarky mangling of borderlands 2 that jeff did but i can't quite recall it :/

Zekhariah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Zekhariah

I tend to drop everything but the subtitle of Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines, just a bit long. The acronym is pretty decent though.

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By MikeGosot

I usually translate the names of games to make fun of them, and in the case of L.A. Noir, it's prounced the same way as "É Lei no Ar". which means "It's Law in the Air" in portuguese.

KevinK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By KevinK

I do agree that Sleeping Dogs is a bad title for a game. It'a pretty typical vapid "Let's name something Chinese sounding" name that people from North America/Europe would come up with. I'm guessing the trademark for "Sleeping Dragons" was unavailable. I'm actually surprised in the time we live in where the name of everything has to be focus tested and marketing approved that Sleeping Dogs was actually the shipping name of the game.

But, despite my reservations about the name, "Sleepy Dogs" is just stupid. If RD or somebody exaggerates it and goes "SCHLEEPIEEE DAUWOUGS!" it's about 10 times worse. Like said, it's about as funny as typos and fart jokes. I know Giant Bomb likes irreverent, derisive humor ("Mass Effect? More like... Ass Defect!"), but the fact that Ryan Davis seems to have decided that Sleepy Dawgz is now the de facto name of Sleeping Dogs is awful.

And before somebody goes "Oh, who cares, derp derp, Ryan is awesome, lighten up bro", it is something that bugs me, but I'm not like actively pissed off about it. Besides, this is an internet message board. If I wasn't writing a textblock post about why Sleepy Dawgz is a horrible nickname, I'd be writing a textblock post about my favorite weapon in Fallout: New Vegas or something.

Avatar image for equitasinvictus
EquitasInvictus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By EquitasInvictus

I always call Black Ops CODBLOPS phonetically and I always throw off my friends since I even refer to it that way when I literally talk about it.

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#30  Edited By breadfan
hughesman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By hughesman

@KevinK: Sleeping Dogs is Chinese sounding? Hmm, if you say so.

KevinK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By KevinK

@hughesman said:

@KevinK: Sleeping Dogs is Chinese sounding? Hmm, if you say so.

No, it doesn't in reality, but I think it's meant to invoke something Chinese sounding to a Western audience.

Like "Double Dragon" or "Jade Empire" or "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon".

Get my drift?

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#33  Edited By Hamst3r

Codblops.

panvixyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By panvixyl

Sleepy Dawgs 5ever.

yoshimitz707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#35  Edited By yoshimitz707

COD BLOPS

JazGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By JazGalaxy

@KevinK said:

I do agree that Sleeping Dogs is a bad title for a game. It'a pretty typical vapid "Let's name something Chinese sounding" name that people from North America/Europe would come up with. I'm guessing the trademark for "Sleeping Dragons" was unavailable. I'm actually surprised in the time we live in where the name of everything has to be focus tested and marketing approved that Sleeping Dogs was actually the shipping name of the game.

But, despite my reservations about the name, "Sleepy Dogs" is just stupid. If RD or somebody exaggerates it and goes "SCHLEEPIEEE DAUWOUGS!" it's about 10 times worse. Like said, it's about as funny as typos and fart jokes. I know Giant Bomb likes irreverent, derisive humor ("Mass Effect? More like... Ass Defect!"), but the fact that Ryan Davis seems to have decided that Sleepy Dawgz is now the de facto name of Sleeping Dogs is awful.

And before somebody goes "Oh, who cares, derp derp, Ryan is awesome, lighten up bro", it is something that bugs me, but I'm not like actively pissed off about it. Besides, this is an internet message board. If I wasn't writing a textblock post about why Sleepy Dawgz is a horrible nickname, I'd be writing a textblock post about my favorite weapon in Fallout: New Vegas or something.

Right. At some point it's like someone who's nose whistles when they breathe. It's innocuous, but when they do it all the time and you spend a large amount of time around that person, it suddenly becomes something you almost want to hit them about.

obcdexter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#37  Edited By obcdexter

SCHLEEEEEEEPUWEEEEEEEEEE DAUUUUUUWWWWWWWWWWWGZZZZZ!

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#38  Edited By DarthOrange

Nothing with game titles but I refer to all specials, hyper combos, etc as "fatalities".

HerbieBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By HerbieBug

@Hailinel said:

I will never, ever use the title Sleepy Dogs. It's nothing but a mockery of the game.

Mockery? Never. Term of sincere endearment.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Animasta

@HerbieBug said:

@Hailinel said:

Mockery? Never. Term of sincere endearment.

yep. Love that game but I will never calling it sleeping dogs.

I specifically say it like Brad said it in the QL