#1 Edited by crusader8463 (14413 posts) -

So as that time of year approaches we are getting closer to the game of the year marathon of podcasts. For those that might not know, these are podcasts the guys do at the end of each year that have no limits and everything about a game is open to discussion. There are no spoiler warnings other than to let you know up front that they will be spoiling some games in this podcast and to listen at your own peril as they are often blurted out.

So to prep for this, I was thinking we could make a big ol list of games that are more than likely to be talked about in this years shows. The purpose of the list is to give those of us with the means to, to make sure we play as many as we can to lessen the chance of having a game spoiled by listening to the podcast.

So after looking through this list of 2013 releases, these are the games I feel have a good chance of being spoiled and talked about in full based on my memory of the guys enjoying and talking about the games in the past:

So that's my list. Anything else you folks can think of that I might have missed?

Below are games other suggested to be added to the list:

#2 Posted by Sackmanjones (4652 posts) -

There are no more than 9 games on that list that are better than brothers.

#3 Posted by SeanFoster (856 posts) -

Nice list! Could use a little Super Mario 3D World though!

#4 Edited by crusader8463 (14413 posts) -

@seanfoster: I excluded some games like that because there really isn't much story to it is there? Like is there something they could talk about that would ruin a person's enjoyment of it? I haven't played a Mario game in a long time, so excuse my ignorance if this has changed.

#5 Edited by Pabba (317 posts) -

I'm pretty sure you're safe with Ni no Kuni not getting spoiled, as Brad only played a little bit during the Quick Look and never seemed to bring it up again.

#6 Edited by Lumley (945 posts) -
#7 Posted by believer258 (11633 posts) -

I doubt that Fire Emblem Awakening and Ni No Kuni will even enter the GOTY conversation.

@pabba said:

I'm pretty sure you're safe with Ni no Kuni not getting spoiled, as Brad only played a little bit during the Quick Look and never seemed to bring it up again.

I remember Brad talking about it in a Bombcast somewhere, but I think he said that he eventually got tired of the combat or got tired of the grinding and just gave up on it.

Bioshock Infinite, Metro Last Light, The Last of Us, Grand Theft Auto V, Brothers, and Saints Row IV are probably the ones that people concerned about spoilers need to pay the most attention to.

#8 Posted by crusader8463 (14413 posts) -

@lumley: I went ahead and added them. I doubt a couple of those will come up, but who knows.

#9 Posted by bluefish (428 posts) -

I think you can remove a few very safely:

I'd bet that Batman: A.O, Wolf Among Us, Hatsune Miku and Zoo Tycoon never come up in any significant way.

#10 Posted by Hunter5024 (5541 posts) -

If someone spoils Hatsune Miku for me, heads will roll.

#11 Edited by MildMolasses (3213 posts) -

In case the story does go balls out crazy and they talk about it, I want to get most of AC IV out of the way prior to hearing the discussions. Anything else I've probably already played or don't feel that hearing open discussion about will effect my enjoyment

#12 Posted by Wrect (315 posts) -

@bluefish: are you sure about wolf among us? I have not played, but I hear good things.

#13 Posted by Demoskinos (14562 posts) -

I know people will just make fun of it but I think more people need to play Project Diva. Such a fun and upbeat game. If Melancholic or God-Tier Tune doesn't make you smile you have a heart of stone.

#14 Posted by ll_Exile_ll (1439 posts) -

Except for Gone Home and Brothers, the games where I would be bothered by spoilers I have already finished. As long I pick up Brothers and Gone Home before the end of the year, it looks like I will be able to listen the GOTY casts as they come out unlike last year.

#15 Posted by hermes (1372 posts) -

@wrect: At this point, there is only one episode out there and possibly another one by the time the year closes. I think its too early to include it in GOTY deliberations.

#16 Posted by Video_Game_King (36000 posts) -

If someone spoils Hatsune Miku for me, heads will roll.

Warning: Not what you're looking for.

#17 Posted by Dacnomaniac (440 posts) -

WHERE'S THE:

#18 Posted by crusader8463 (14413 posts) -
#19 Posted by Stilblad (87 posts) -

@hermes said:

@wrect: At this point, there is only one episode out there and possibly another one by the time the year closes. I think its too early to include it in GOTY deliberations.

Yeah I am going to bet that they end up waiting on this and include it in GOTY next year since not even the first half of the game is out and Alex already said that they won't release a review until all 5 episodes are released.

#20 Edited by peritus (959 posts) -

I should really finish The Last of Us. But fuck, man, my PS3 died while i was on the last chapter and i lost my save. And its still stuck in the drive ;-(

By the way, don't forget DiveKick! It has a story... sort of.

#21 Posted by chilibean_3 (1622 posts) -

DOTA 2 will get talked up. I don't see them spending much time on Ni no Kuni, Fire Emblem, Pokemon or Phoenix Wright. Those game might deserve some talk but it probably won't come from the Bombcast.

Man, that's a lot of games better than Brothers.

#22 Edited by GreggD (4477 posts) -

Man, looking at this list, I realized that I played a way bigger chunk of current releases than in any year past.

#24 Edited by Tom_omb (337 posts) -

I hope Guacamelee gets some degree of consideration, but I get the impression the Giantbomb guys weren't super crazy about it.

#25 Posted by GERALTITUDE (2918 posts) -

@tom_omb said:

I hope Guacamelee gets some degree of consideration, but I get the impression the Giantbomb guys weren't super crazy about it.

WHICH IS CRAZY. So, so, so excellent. Easy Top 5 of 2013 and among my GotGs.

#26 Posted by HH (599 posts) -

is Metro a serious contender? I don't care about spoilers but i was thinking of giving it a go, might do it now if it's gonna be topical.

#27 Edited by BeachThunder (11695 posts) -

It would be a huge bummer to have Zoo Tycoon spoiled for you.

#28 Edited by crusader8463 (14413 posts) -

@hh: I remember Patrick, and maybe Vinny, being super into it. IDK if they plan to skype him in on the conversation or not. If they do I could see him try to talk that game up at some point.

#29 Edited by MaxOpower (192 posts) -

Games I really liked that wasn't mentioned:

• Kentucky Route Zero
  • Proteus
  • DiveKick
  • Guacamelee!
  • Starseed Pilgrim
  • Don't Starve
  • Reus
  • The Stanley Parable (Don't get how that hasn't been mentioned yet)
  • Remember Me

EDIT: Oh, only stuff that you should care about getting spoiled.

#30 Posted by crusader8463 (14413 posts) -

@maxopower: It's more just a list to give people a heads up. There's always something I seem to forget about until it's too late and it's spoiled.

#31 Edited by McLargepants (361 posts) -

@tom_omb said:

Alex seemed to be the only one who really got into that game.