• 58 results
#1 Posted by NukeGoBoom (492 posts) -

Title might be a bit misleading but I'm here to ask what are some of the best games to play while doing other stuff like listening to podcasts and/or music.  Games that don't need much attention and have little to none story but nice gameplay.
Preferably PC and/or Free. Thanks in advance!

#2 Posted by Kyreo (4600 posts) -

any shooter that you don't have to think while playing.  Something mindless like Just Cause 2, Modern Warfare 2, Gears, or something like that...

#3 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -

Runescape? Any MMO really, endless grinding!

#4 Posted by Mrskidders (1330 posts) -

I used to grind rep and gold on WoW whilst listening to Podcasts.  I also play a lot of TF2 whilst I am listening to Coheed And Cambria for some reason.

#5 Edited by Jasta (2217 posts) -

Super Meat Boy would seem perfect as it involves repetitive play and doesint have much in the way of a story, however with extended play you will lose all concentration on what you are listening to. It can also cause cramp of the fingers and induce severe panic attacks.

Jus' saying.

#6 Posted by gakon (1952 posts) -

World of Warcraft, unless I'm doing something that require some amount of focus, like a dungeon.  Tried it in TF2, but somehow it still distracted me enough that I stopped.

#7 Posted by DeF (4855 posts) -
@Jasta said:
"

Super Meat Boy would seem perfect as it involves repetitive play and doesint have much in the way of a story, however with extended play you will lose all concentration on what you are listening to. It can also cause cramp of the fingers and induce severe panic attacks.

Jus' saying.

"
@gakon5 said:
" World of Warcraft, unless I'm doing something that require some amount of focus, like a dungeon.  Tried it in TF2, but somehow it still distracted me enough that I stopped. "

those two are perfect for it

plus from my own experience with podcast-listening-while-gaming I'll add Diablo 2 and Borderlands into the mix if you want your suggestions constrained to PC games. Plants vs. Zombies and games like that should service this criterea as well!
#8 Posted by NukeGoBoom (492 posts) -

Yeah, I also thought that most PopCap games would suit it well. And Torchligt/Diablo 2. I don't agree at all on the TF2/MMO front. Those games require way too much communication for you to distract yourself with something else.

#9 Posted by RYNO9881 (625 posts) -

I usually play Just cause 2

#10 Edited by X19 (2306 posts) -
@NukeGoBoom:
Unreal Tornament GOTY 

Map: Facing Worlds 

You can't beat it.
#11 Posted by thegoldencat7 (1496 posts) -

Super Street Fighter IV is one of a rare breed of games on the PS3 that lets you listen to your own music, so I'll often feck about in training mode while listening to the bombcast.
#12 Posted by oatz (1103 posts) -

I haven't listened to the Bombcast in a few months due to lack of time, but I almost exclusively listened to it while playing World of Warcraft. Unless I'm raiding and using voice communication (I'm a guild leader on hiatus), chances are I'm listening to the Bombcast during my time in Azeroth.

#13 Posted by TheSeductiveMoose (3617 posts) -

Rome: Total War.

#14 Posted by BulletproofMonk (2720 posts) -
@Kyreo said:
" any shooter that you don't have to think while playing.  Something mindless like Just Cause 2, Modern Warfare 2, Gears, or something like that... "
#15 Posted by Killroycantkill (1401 posts) -

Any game really. Just pause it while cutscenes are going on.
#16 Posted by igloodude (61 posts) -

I usually just stick with Tetris while I'm listening to something.

#17 Posted by Chris2KLee (2334 posts) -
@TaliciaDragonsong said:
" Runescape? Any MMO really, endless grinding! "
Yep, the bombcast has seen me through some serious WoW grinding in the past. I find all the Whiskey Media podcasts seem to work well too.
#18 Posted by kittencake (99 posts) -

Puzzle Quest (any of them) is far more bearable if you listen to something interesting while you play. Fact.

#19 Posted by markini6 (445 posts) -

Fifa 11. Basically every time I play with the sound off and listen to music or half watch The Sopranos

#20 Posted by Bigrhyno (505 posts) -

I do this whenever I play any game with no story. So sports games, racing games, or multiplayer games.

#21 Posted by President_Barackbar (3454 posts) -

I do Quake Live. Its free, and requires little to no actual thought.

#22 Posted by Sin4profit (2923 posts) -

Anything that doesn't have Story Dialog, really.

#23 Posted by Djeffers03 (2545 posts) -

Any racing game and Fifa.

#24 Posted by RecSpec (3803 posts) -

I caught up on all of my podcasts while playing Civ 5

#25 Posted by Chirag4 (585 posts) -

Civilization V

#26 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

I usually pop in Fallout 3 or New Vegas and listen to Podcasts. 
And then when I'm playing I start dreaming about a feature in the game that connects to the internet and grabs the podcasts so you can listen to them on the in-game radio 

#27 Posted by Dudacles (1449 posts) -

Any sports game, really, if that's your thing.

#28 Posted by normalpants (166 posts) -

I got addicted to podcasts when I needed something to keep me occupied while I grinded in WoW.  Any MMO seems great for listening.  Tower defense games work pretty well too, especially if you can play Pixeljunk Monsters on PSP.  

#29 Posted by VilhelmNielsen (1734 posts) -

I found the tedious side-stuff in Assassin's Creed to be perfect. Any game that involves grinding of some sort, is absolutely perfect!

#30 Posted by ch13696 (4582 posts) -

I always end up playing Titan Quest or Torchlight. Any kind of hack and slash would work.

#31 Posted by DukesT3 (1906 posts) -

sports games for me. Till shit gets real then I turn down whatever I'm listening to. 

#32 Posted by DjCmeP (1148 posts) -

I usually play TF2.

#33 Posted by WalkerTR77 (1356 posts) -

Fifa is ideal for this I've found.

#34 Posted by MonetaryDread (2015 posts) -
  • Gemcraft: Chapter 0 
  • WOW
  • Torchlight
  • Fallout 3
  • Defense Grid
  • Anything by Popcap
  • Most RPG's on a handheld
#35 Posted by Jayross (2365 posts) -

I played Need for Speed hot pursuit while listening to the new Girl Talk album.

#36 Posted by themartyr (691 posts) -

Scott Pilgrim served me pretty well whilst listening to the Tested podcast at the weekend. A short while ago, I used to blow stuff up in The Saboteur (the freeplay events) whilst listening to podcasts/music. It took a week of solid nightly sessions to get through them all. Damned completionism...

#37 Posted by SaucyJack (87 posts) -

Forza 3 endurance races.

#38 Posted by gunbladewarrior (14 posts) -

Bejeweled 2
Tetris Splash
Rumble Roses XX
NCAA Football 10
Saint Row 2 ( I pause the music/podcast during cutcenes)
Tekken 6
Super Street Fighter IV

#39 Posted by ThatFrood (3375 posts) -

Civ IV works great.

#40 Posted by yinstarrunner (1185 posts) -

Any game that's not big on narrative and reaction time will work.

So MMO's (and stuff like diablo, torchlight), puzzle games, turn-based strategy.. you know, any shit like that.

#41 Posted by artofwar420 (6286 posts) -

I've successfully done this with games like Dota/LoL, some Starcraft 2 unranked maps and multiplayer shooters. Oh and Borderlands, except when there's cutscenes or talking I pause.

#42 Posted by ThePhantomnaut (6197 posts) -

All of the Skate games.

#43 Posted by AlwaysBeClothing (1461 posts) -

You can do this with anything.

I've been listening to the bombcast while playing tf2 but I usually play on my own bot server for kicks.  Lately I've been going through NBA 2k11's my player mode while listening to podcasts.

#44 Posted by Gamer_152 (14072 posts) -

I like an MMO or a laid-back puzzle game.

#45 Posted by nukesniper (1312 posts) -

Audiosurf is the only way to listen to music while gaming. It should be like $10 right now, but Steam does sales around Christmas, and you can usually get it for no more than $3 then. I can't recommend it more.

#46 Posted by Soulblitz (349 posts) -

I don't really listen to music when playing games. I've tried it, but I've found that it often makes me worse as I seem to subconsciously rely a lot of sound cues from the game, so not being able to hear them can be quite offputting.

#47 Posted by Eristocrat (440 posts) -

I find driving games to go great with Podcasts, somehow they help me zone in on the race and not think too much.  Plus, they rarely get so intense as to break my concentration on the podcast like fighting games and puzzle games can.

#48 Posted by THRICE (167 posts) -

Shooters, I can't play Black Ops without something in the back ground. Endless gun fire gets tiresome very quickly and unless you're playing with friends nobody communicates in any meaningful way in that game at all.

#49 Posted by JJWeatherman (14558 posts) -

Forza 3. 

Or, if you prefer, GT5.

#50 Posted by takua108 (1478 posts) -

Just Cause 2 was my podcast-listening-to game of choice for a long time. I never even got into the story missions of the game, like, at all, but I still managed to put a shit-ton of time into just 100%ing regions and doing crazy stunts and stuff, largely while listening to podcasts. I'm playing through Red Dead Redemption again (lost my almost-complete save and I want to see it through to the end), and I've found that it fits this purpose pretty well too, as long as you pause your podcast during the cutscenes and more epic gunfights.