• 54 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by Bell_End (1203 posts) -

Do you remember the good old days.

when there was no bad games, when every game was dirty cheap and offered hours and hours of deep, rich, varied content. when there was no such things as bugs and every game was released when it was absolutely perfect. when every game was new and fresh and there was no sequels. back when Devs and publisher didn't care about money and just wanted us to play their games and be happy and they were not greedy.

but most of all there was nothing to complain about.

aaaah the past.

#2 Posted by Bleeble (95 posts) -

You're joking right? I honestly can't tell.

#3 Edited by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

Oh we haven't had this thread in a while, glad to see it return!  

Oh god, what was my answer last time?
Oh right, your opinion is insane, sir! 

#4 Posted by TEHMAXXORZ (1133 posts) -

@Bell_End said:

when there was no bad games

I don't even know where to begin...

#5 Posted by zudthespud (3284 posts) -

Obvious troll is obvious.

#6 Posted by Village_Guy (2665 posts) -

I really enjoyed ET too, that game was great! Oh, and Custer's Revenge of course.

Yeah, those games are horrible, and I know there was good games too - but this is just silly.

WARNING: Custer's Revenge is kinda dirty! Still not enough to warrant an age restriction on Youtube though, does this mean that Youtube is pro Native American Butt Sex?

#7 Posted by Karkarov (3291 posts) -

I call foul on you OP. There is no way you actually remember these so called times because for them to exist requires you to either be out of your mind high, stone cold drunk, or both. Any of these conditions will leave you will a foggy memory so there is no way you can recollect this. Nope, no way at all.

#8 Posted by GunslingerPanda (4859 posts) -

There were bad games, the market just wasn't flooded with them at the time.

#9 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -
@Village_Guy said:

I really enjoyed ET too, that game was great! Oh, and Custer's Revenge of course.

Yeah, those games are horrible, and I know there was good games too - but this is just silly.

WARNING: Custer's Revenge is kinda dirty! Still not enough to warrant an age restriction on Youtube though, does this mean that Youtube is pro Native American Butt Sex?

Of course they are. Youtube servers are located in America. 
They like fucking over Native americans all the time :P 

I'm kidding, btw, before anyone throws a hissy fit like a little bitch. 
#10 Posted by Atlas (2457 posts) -

Yay, video games!

#11 Posted by Vodun (2370 posts) -

Sarcasm detector: BEEP! BEEP! BEEP!

#12 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8607 posts) -

I still got the price stickers on my old snes/n64 games, they were NOT cheap.

#13 Posted by SomeDeliCook (2341 posts) -

@Vodun said:

Sarcasm detector: BEEP! BEEP! BEEP!

Yeah thats a useful machine

#14 Posted by Demoskinos (15164 posts) -

Kickstarter for Custers Revenge HD. LETS DO THIS.

#15 Posted by Atlas (2457 posts) -

To be fair, this is how pretty much everyone sounds to me when they're being nostalgic. And it really annoys me.

#16 Posted by BrainSonata (104 posts) -

Obvious troll or moron in rose tinted glasses?

#17 Posted by believer258 (12208 posts) -

Guys.

This is a troll.

A very obvious troll.

#18 Posted by Galiant (2195 posts) -

@Atlas said:

To be fair, this is how pretty much everyone sounds to me when they're being nostalgic. And it really annoys me.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I came in here to write.

#19 Edited by FilipHolm (669 posts) -

"There were never any good old days, they are today, they are tomorrow. It's a stupid thing we say, cursing tomorrow with sorrow" - Gogol Bordello

#20 Posted by RenMcKormack (1074 posts) -

I think that why I like the way GB runs their SNES stuff. My memory of SNES was just awesome games, and then when confronted by Jeff and his tub I recall the horror of really bad games that my mind had washed away.

#21 Posted by crimsinf (148 posts) -

Oh man. These responses. Do you guys not get it?

Ah, I found the original post hilarious, anyway.

#22 Posted by me3639 (1855 posts) -

Uh, no.

#23 Posted by GERALTITUDE (3508 posts) -

He's not a troll.. he's joking.

But shit you know what, I remember those days.

#24 Posted by Hockeymask27 (3683 posts) -

No there were bad games I was just to young and stupid to know better. I actually liked wcw backstage assault.

#25 Posted by Brodehouse (10134 posts) -

Great games are still great games, our great games today are in the same tier as the great ones before. But man, our bad and average games are way fucking better than even the Playstation/N64 era. Compare Spec Ops The Line to ANY OTHER FUCKING SPEC OPS GAME.

#26 Posted by MikkaQ (10344 posts) -

No I don't remember those days. Did I sleep through it or something?

#27 Posted by TheHumanDove (2523 posts) -

Makes me just want to stand on my porch and take a puff from my savory tobacco pipe.

#28 Edited by CornBREDX (6056 posts) -

Feels like troll- unsure.

Those old days you mention don't exist. There have always been shitty games, shitty publishing agendas, and things to complain about. The industry itself is not much different then it always has been beyond the fact that games are becoming less games and much more cinematic in nature which they were attempting to do back when FMVs started.

Games have only changed, for the most part for the better. There was no time when this fantasy world of "cheap, no bad games with publishers you love". That world never existed.

Or maybe that was your point- hard to tell.

Text. No context is so much fun.

@Brodehouse: Ya, man. I still have Spec Ops Stealth Patrol for PS1. That game is so bad! Not bad funny either. It's not fun to play at all. I much prefer this new Spec Ops.

#29 Posted by mrpandaman (872 posts) -

This topic is like a direct response to another forum post saying how people who like retro games are out of their minds.

lol

#30 Posted by aurahack (2289 posts) -
#31 Posted by Yummylee (22575 posts) -
#32 Posted by BonOrbitz (2252 posts) -

Last night I hooked up my NES and popped in Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. I loved it as a kid and went in ready to hate on it because of all the shit it has received in the years since it's released.

I don't know what the hate is all about. I had a blast playing it and can't believe the muscle memory my hands have after 23 years.

BTW, Batman NES was one of the greatest games ever for that system.

Sarcasm aside, games were not cheap back then. My parents paid $70 USD for Ghostbusters on the NES at KayBee Toys. The kids at school didn't believe me.

#33 Posted by Brendan (8164 posts) -

It's pretty depressing that many of the first posters on here seem unsure as to whether the OP is being serious or not. Seriously people, the OP's being as subtle as an oil spill.

#34 Posted by ShaggE (6718 posts) -

Just goes to show: no sarcasm is too obvious for people to completely miss.

#35 Posted by sevenLiter (108 posts) -

Intentional or not, I think the OP is making a clever commentary about our childhood memories of gaming. As children, we didn't have the self-awareness that naturally comes with age, nor the dissemination the internet provides to really know what a bad game was. If we got a new game we would just play the hell out of it, regardless.

#36 Edited by MonetaryDread (2178 posts) -

@Bell_End said:

Do you remember the good old days.

when there was no bad games, when every game was dirty cheap and offered hours and hours of deep, rich, varied content. when there was no such things as bugs and every game was released when it was absolutely perfect. when every game was new and fresh and there was no sequels. back when Devs and publisher didn't care about money and just wanted us to play their games and be happy and they were not greedy.

but most of all there was nothing to complain about.

aaaah the past.

Wow. There wasn't a single truthful statement in that entire post. You sir are either a liar or a fool.

Most games were bad back in the day, not the other way around. Games were more expensive than they are now (even when you include all the DLC). Games were usually a lot more shallow where the only real mechanic was die until you memorize the pattern presented to you. No sequels? What about Megaman 5, or Castlevania 4. Then there is the whole devs don't care about money thing? When has that been the case for any medium period? Game companies are businesses first, artists seconds, and it has been that way since the seventies.

#37 Posted by Strife777 (1614 posts) -

Too bad some people actually think that way. With any medium really, movies, music, games, whatever.

#38 Posted by Breadfan (6590 posts) -
#39 Posted by Jimbo (10000 posts) -

How do you read that first post and think to yourself 'Hey, that guy is being totally serious!'? The mind boggles.

I mean, I actually do think games were better in the good old days, but it's still obvious that he doesn't think so.

#40 Posted by TwoArmed (115 posts) -

He was joking about how so many people pretend that the early console generations were like the Second Coming. It shouldn't be that hard to tell...

#41 Posted by Turambar (6898 posts) -

I only ever played good games.  *strokes chin smugly*

#42 Posted by DonutFever (3538 posts) -

How do so many of you think that he's serious?

#43 Edited by mrpandaman (872 posts) -

@Breadfan said:

Greatest Game of All Time

Just look at it.

Also you think Dark Souls and Demon Souls is unforgiving...

#44 Posted by SockemJetpack (412 posts) -

I will admit I do have fond memories of waddling over to the local video store and renting an NES game for the weekend based entirely on the cover art. You found some hidden gems (and poops) that way and honestly renting games isn't as fun anymore.

For instance: Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves was quite possibly one of the most engaging tie-in games I played on the system. Regardless of what the wiki page says. I rented that beast 3 times to finish it.

Protip: Get your opponent to stand on a table while you stab them in the ankles during the sideview fights.

#45 Edited by Franstone (1156 posts) -

But back then the internet didn't exist so therefor you wouldn't be able to spread such nonsense.

Those games weren't cheap and we still have games that do the same damn thing but just look better. (sometimes the same)

Never mind all the other improvements made in game design and hardware.

Also, they are still around, and cheap, emulators... If that's what you're into.

Personally it pains me to play old games.

Like going back to standard definition television.

#46 Posted by Dagbiker (6978 posts) -

@GunslingerPanda said:

There were bad games, the market just wasn't flooded with them at the time.

The whole reason Atari died was because they flooded the market with bad games.

#47 Posted by TwoArmed (115 posts) -

@Dagbiker: Shhh! Stop pointing out things like facts. This generation is awful and things are only going to get worse, don't you know?

#48 Posted by AngelN7 (2973 posts) -

Jokes like the OP are so funny ... it's like people are suppose to say "Ha-ha-ha funny! he made a joke a sarcasitc type joke more accurately because you see he said something... "

#49 Posted by charlie_victor_bravo (1047 posts) -

OP is sarcastic.

Yes, there was good games in the past, but it lots of bad ones too. Now average quality of games is freaking high.

Games cost tons back in the NES days. Now prices of new games are rising but they tend to drop fast and really low. This generation has been cheapest for me.

Also we got patches to fix broken stuff, digital downloads, better controllers...

#50 Posted by Jimbo (10000 posts) -

@charlie_victor_bravo said:

Yes, there was good games in the past, but it lots of bad ones too. Now average quality of games is freaking high.

Production values are high. Not sure I'd agree about quality.