Games where you briefly play as another character?

sagesebas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By sagesebas

Does anyone know of which games let you play as another character briefly. I'm pretty sure they did it in mass effect 2 and I knew a few others but can't remember them now. This might be one of my favorite things that can happen in a story campaign and more games with it would be rad!

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

Man, this might be spoiler galore. You might want to give folks some warning.

Max Payne 2, Arkham City.

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Halo 5 when you briefly play as Master Chief... :(

Witcher 3. The other character was way more fun and interesting than Geralt

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

Damn, ME2 was what I was going to say :P Anyway, have a look over here.

Avatar image for militantfreudian
militantfreudian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By militantfreudian
@beachthunder said:

Damn, ME2 was what I was going to say :P Anyway, have a look over here.

Why am I not surprised that this exists! The False Protagonist wiki page is also awesome. Although, the first page is missing The Witcher 2 and 3; whereas the second is missing Assassin's Creed 3, I guess?

musclerider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Deadly Premonition when you play as the raincoat killer while listening to "Amazing Grace" on loop.

sagesebas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@beachthunder: thank you! I dunno why I love this so much but I do!

mylifeforAiur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Playing as Ciri is what comes to mind for me. Pretty fun considering she has that blink ability.

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

One of my favourites is in Final Fantasy XII. You start by playing as Prince Rasler betrothed to Ashe during a key battle in the games war. The player fights on the battlefield with Basch by his side (effectively his loyal knight and bodyguard). Inevitably, by standing with his men rather than retreating when their army is slaughtered, he's struck down and dies. In the next player controlled scene, you take the viewpoint of Vaan... So you switch from a courageous Prince willing to stand with his people on the front lines of an army, to a thief spending his free time stealing from rats in a sewer.

sagesebas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@musclerider: I just started playing deadly premonition I hope that's true lol

ATastySlurpee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Last of Us

sagesebas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dixavd: I played a bit of 12 after the dude at GameStop told me he put over 250 hours in it from what I played I really liked it. Seems like a super underrated ff

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

The Last of Us (as Ellie), Mass Effect 2 (as Joker), Devil May Cry 3 Special Edition (as Virgil), Ninja Gaiden Sigma (as boobs), Grand Theft Auto V (as Chip), Splinter Cell Blacklist (as Briggs), Final Fantasy X (as Yuna), Dark Souls (as a vase).

There are tons more that I have played but just don't remember right now.

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

In MGS 2, you briefly play as Snake.

In the Call of Duty games, it is common to play as different protagonists. The most famous example is Call of Duty 4, where you play as the former president, Sgt Jackson (the guy that gets killed by the bomb), and unknown SWAT team member trying to rescue someone from a plane.

In Kingdom Hearths 2, you play a (seemingly endless) prologue as Roxas, a character that looks a lot like Sora, but it totally is not (wink, wink)...

In Arkham City, you briefly play as Catwoman, but only if you bought the game new or bought the DLC. I am including it, because her missions intertwine with Batman's.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15  Edited By BisonHero

Eternal Darkness is an entire game where you keep briefly playing as different characters.

I wish more narrative games were structured like Eternal Darkness - it was quite a cool perspective on the story.

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In World of warcraft you play as another character in a couple of hundred quests. In Hitman you mostly play as another character but i dunno if that qualifies :)

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#17  Edited By monkeyking1969

All the CoD games have you play as different people, sometimes in different time periods or different parts of the world.

In Ico, you play as Yorda for the last sequence.

Medal of Honor, I know in the second game there are sequences where you play as Jimmy and Manon a female French resistance partner.

odinsmana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By odinsmana

@dixavd said:One of my favourites is in Final Fantasy XII. You start by playing as Prince Rasler betrothed to Ashe during a key battle in the games war. The player fights on the battlefield with Basch by his side (effectively his loyal knight and bodyguard). Inevitably, by standing with his men rather than retreating when their army is slaughtered, he's struck down and dies. In the next player controlled scene, you take the viewpoint of Vaan... So you switch from a courageous Prince willing to stand with his people on the front lines of an army, to a thief spending his free time stealing from rats in a sewer.

I am pretty sure you play as Vaan`s brother Rex in the opening, not Rasler. I don`t think he`s ever in your party.

GundamGuru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In Final Fantasy VIII there are the sequences where the entire party is swapped with Laguna, Kiros, and Ward. Which can be a bit weird from a gameplay standpoint as Kiros and Ward inherit all the magic and junctions from the party members with Squall at the time, but they have their own unique stats.

sagesebas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@freedom4556: I played around ten hours of that game and really liked those parts a lot!

sagesebas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kingbonesaw: really? That seems crazy they wouldn't just be coy about it

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#23  Edited By MezZa

I'm going to go way back in time and bring up Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean. That moment and the reason for controlling someone else for a while was pretty interesting. I'm not sure I would say it is my favorite twist of all time, but it's definitely a twist in a game I'll never forget.

Edit: Chrono Trigger is another good one with a memorable reason for not controlling Crono for a bit. Which conveniently there is an endurance run of on the site for anyone who doesn't know what I'm talking about.

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Dixavd

@dixavd said:One of my favourites is in Final Fantasy XII. You start by playing as Prince Rasler betrothed to Ashe during a key battle in the games war. The player fights on the battlefield with Basch by his side (effectively his loyal knight and bodyguard). Inevitably, by standing with his men rather than retreating when their army is slaughtered, he's struck down and dies. In the next player controlled scene, you take the viewpoint of Vaan... So you switch from a courageous Prince willing to stand with his people on the front lines of an army, to a thief spending his free time stealing from rats in a sewer.

I am pretty sure you play as Vaan`s brother Rex in the opening, not Rasler. I don`t think he`s ever in your party.

You're right, thanks. After all these years I got this blonde pretty-boy, Prince Rasler mixed up with this blonde pretty-boy, knight Reks. I honestly remembered the opening battle as playable with Rasler (all my memories of Reks' section are this) and then totally forgot Reks even existed as a character. This probably says a lot about how much I cared for Vaan since his brother's death as knight (supposedly at the hands of Basch) is one of his driving forces through the story. I remembered Rasler because of his recurring appearances before Ashe, but had little memory of Reks. Good thing that Remaster is coming out this year so I can fill in the gaps.

imhungry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@mezza: I will always be around to shout 'YES!' when people rep Baten Kaitos.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@imhungry: It'll always be on my list of I wish I could play this game again games. A new game would be nice too, but I gave up on that awhile ago.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By BoOzak

Resident Evil 4, where you play as Ashley. (by far the worst part of the game) Watch Dogs 2 did it a couple of times and Ori and the Blind Forest in it's intro.

I've also been playing Zelda: The Phantom Hourglass and you play as a Goron kid for a little bit.

DarkbeastCaarl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kingdom hearts 2 riku is playable in one fight, only if sora gets hit by a certain move, and sometimes if you die in the main game you'll switch to mickey

LtGrimdark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1
deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Max Payne 2 Mona Sax

Immortal_Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fezrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Does DLC count? Because there's a few games where for one or more of the DLC you don't play the main character from the base game; Dishonored, for instance.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Knights of the Old Republic II. Lady bounty hunter.

flasaltine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Uncharted 4

Lv4Monk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Onimusha 2

The game had minor relationship mechanics where giving certain characters gifts (acquired through spending money dropped from defeated enemies) would win them over as friends. Towards the end of the game the main dude becomes incapacitated and whichever buddy liked you most became the playable character on a mission to save him.

It's been a while since I've played the game but I seem to remember that happening only once and for only about a half hour or so. While the buddy mechanics were neat they were quickly dropped and never mentioned or used again.

Magoichi was the correct friend to pick, by the way. Anyone saying differently is clearly a monster.

dr_monocle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By dr_monocle

@mezza: They totally do it in Cross again when you (sorta) play as Lynx.

Also Red Dead Redemption but I guess most people know about that one by now. And I believe Mega Man X3 was the first one where you could briefly play as Zero. I think a few JRPGS knock your protagonist out of commission for a little while maybe 3/4ths of the way through the game. FF7 does this.

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#37  Edited By clagnaught

This is a spoiler-rific thread! Here's some that come to mind:

• The Last of Us: Play as Sarah and Ellie
  • Uncharted 4: Play as Nathan's brother and Nathan's daughter (also young Drake, which sort of counts?)
  • Resident Evil 4: Play as Ashley
  • Red Dead Redemption: Play as John's son
  • Deadly Premonition: Play as the Raincoat Killer and Emily
  • Final Fantasy X: Play as Yuna
  • Metal Gear Solid 2: Originally play as Snake, but switches over to Raiden

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Onemanarmyy
  • MDK games
  • Jet Force Gemini
  • Giants: Citizen Kabuto

Shoutout to the games that let you play with villains for a bit

Final Fantasy 8: Seifer and Edea are playable at select points in the story

Final Fantasy 4: Kain betrays you after the intro

It's a neat feeling when a villain is 10x as powerful as you are, or if a villian is at a similar strength at the start and grows in power until you finally have to fight him / her.

Apart from that game.. i have no idea which other games do this :D

I just found this wikipage that OP would enjoy

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#39  Edited By ArtisanBreads

Max Payne 2 were you play as Mona for moments.

Avatar image for redhotchilimist
Redhotchilimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Redhotchilimist

It's common in brawlers, which usually have multiple playable characters as unlockables already, as well as rival human characters.

In Bayonetta, there's a brief section near the end where Bayonetta is incapacitated and put on a rocket into space. Her rival, Jeanne, was just freed from mind control, and you play a really cool section as her driving her motorcycle up the side of the rocket and the debris as it takes off into space.

It's not exactly brief, but you play several chapters in Asura's Wrath as brother-in-law/rival/regretful villain Yasha. Essentially, when he turns on the villains, while Asura is lost in a berserker rage, you play as him.

After getting to the end of the game world as Nero in Devil May Cry 4, you have to play the stages backwards as Dante. Nero thought he was a villain for attacking his church, but his church turns out to be a cult of demon worshippers and they end up kidnapping Nero and taking him back to the first stage. The first time through, Nero didn't manage to kill any of the demons littering the land. Dante completely destroys them, with his usual swagger and style, and then frees Nero and allows him to take on the final boss. Considering Dante is the main protagonist of the series, it's nice to see him outclass the new kid.

Devil May Cry 4 would probably have been more brief if they hadn't made so few stages they felt they had to pad them out by having you go through them twice.

Brackstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll assume you intend only to list charaters briefly played as, rather than games that simply feature multiple, equally represented main characters.

The big one missing from the thread that I can think of is Hotline Miami 1.

Kotor 2 was mentioned, but Kotor 1 has it somewhat prominently at the midpoint of the game. You even get to choose who you switch to.

It happens quite frequently in the Syphon Filter series, but only ever for one-off missions.

Cameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In Quantum Break you briefly play as the antagonist from time to time.

eddiephlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

#44  Edited By sammo21

Any Metal Gear Solid game because its 90% cutscene and 10% actual game.

"Ba-zinga"?

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Deadly Premonition when you play as the raincoat killer while listening to "Amazing Grace" on loop.

Don't forget the part where you play as Emily with some of the greatest BGM of all time playing on a loop and being interrupted every 5 seconds of walking to listen to Kaysen tell you all about Deputy Willie. Man I need to watch the ER again.

hans_maulwurf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In life is strange during the dream sequence you very briefly play as Victoria.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#47  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

In Watch Dogs 2 you briefly play as wrench and sitara when you're getting ready for a mission near the end.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Max Payne 2

heathhuston

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By heathhuston

The Force Unleashed has a Darth Vader prologue section.

In Rogue Squadron II: Rogue Leader you're Luke for the first 3.5 missions, switch to Wedge during Hoth and never switch back. Also bonus levels as Han, Lando, and Vader.

The Joker sections in Arkham Knight.

siegarettes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

in the remake of Yakuza 1 they added a new section where you play as the protagonist's sworn brother after he's sent to jail. seems like a cool way to fill in some story gaps from the original and flesh out the plot.