• 86 results
#1 Posted by ItBeStefYo (1096 posts) -

I created this thread in hope of finding what I have discovered to be my favourite type of game.

Games like Persona 4, Final Fantasy XIII and XIII-2 and even Deadly Premonition. Right now im playing Saints Row 3 and its just not all there for me.

I hope some of you can be helpful, Thanks :)

#2 Posted by Animasta (14820 posts) -

Nier is a big one, Persona 3 if you haven't played it, Mother 3

#3 Posted by TekZero (2848 posts) -

Dark Souls, especially if you immerse yourself in the world.

It's just so sad.

#4 Posted by Ventilaator (1566 posts) -

NierNierNierNierNierNierNierNierNierNierNierNierNierNierNierNierNierNierNierNierNierNierNierNierNierNierNier

#5 Posted by Legend (2695 posts) -

Ico, Shadow of the Colossus, Okami and of course FFVII. :)

#6 Posted by Video_Game_King (36566 posts) -
Fragile Dreams.
#7 Posted by ItBeStefYo (1096 posts) -

@Animasta said:

Persona 3 and now mother 3 are definetly on my list now but I've heard bad things about Nier. Do you have to complete it multiple times to unlock story beats?

#8 Posted by A_Dog (754 posts) -

Journey and Bastion.

#9 Posted by TekZero (2848 posts) -

Lost Odyssey

#10 Posted by superpow (256 posts) -

@ItBeStefYo said:

@Animasta said:

Persona 3 and now mother 3 are definetly on my list now but I've heard bad things about Nier. Do you have to complete it multiple times to unlock story beats?

I can definitely vouch for Nier. The story beats you unlock only serve to enhance the story rather than be integral to the experience. It's more like you get to see the story through the eyes of other characters. If you are looking for an emotional journey, you should play Nier. Also you can get it for dirt cheap nowadays.

#11 Edited by JoeyRavn (5118 posts) -

999. The twists! The PLOT TWISTS!

#12 Posted by James_Giant_Peach (756 posts) -

@ryanrulez said:

Journey and Bastion.

Ignore this indie shit OP, nothing emotional about it unless you're a pretentious douche. From what I can tell from your tastes, I'd simply recommend more JRPGs, the Persona games in particular, and other MegaTen stuff like Digital Devil Saga. Final Fantasy VI-X, Earthbound, Wild Arms 3. If you want current-gen stuff, I'd strongly recommend Lost Odyssey, and even more so, Eternal Sonata, bit of an overlooked philosophical and emotional gem that one, and it plays great too.

#13 Posted by artgarcrunkle (988 posts) -

Mother 3 because the writing was actually decent and the major bummer moments were a surprise.

#14 Posted by Animasta (14820 posts) -

@ItBeStefYo said:

@Animasta said:

yes, but the second playthrough is only the back half of the game, and it adds so much to the story that it's vital

#15 Posted by jakkblades (422 posts) -

You seem to have a Japanese preference. KOTOR 2 for me.

#16 Posted by Canteu (2855 posts) -

Nier and Lost Odyssey are two that spring to mind for me. But especially Nier.

#17 Posted by RE_Player1 (7944 posts) -

Journey and Flower.

#18 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7097 posts) -
@James_Giant_Peach

@ryanrulez said:

Journey and Bastion.

Ignore this indie shit OP, nothing emotional about it unless you're a pretentious douche. From what I can tell from your tastes, I'd simply recommend more JRPGs, the Persona games in particular, and other MegaTen stuff like Digital Devil Saga. Final Fantasy VI-X, Earthbound, Wild Arms 3. If you want current-gen stuff, I'd strongly recommend Lost Odyssey, and even more so, Eternal Sonata, bit of an overlooked philosophical and emotional gem that one, and it plays great too.

Ignore James posts entirely because he's a terrible troll.
#19 Edited by Jeust (11376 posts) -
@superpow said:

@ItBeStefYo said:

@Animasta said:

I can definitely vouch for Nier. The story beats you unlock only serve to enhance the story rather than be integral to the experience. It's more like you get to see the story through the eyes of other characters. If you are looking for an emotional journey, you should play Nier. Also you can get it for dirt cheap nowadays.

And it's not like you have to replay the entire game again for the story beats. You have only to replay after a time skip it has, that occurs at the middle of the game, for what amounts to three-four hours of gameplay if you stick to the main plot. The only bad thing about the game I can say is that the graphics are weak, although the art style is great.
#20 Posted by BigSocrates (492 posts) -

Another vote for Bastion. The most emotionally affecting end to a game I've experienced in a long time. And I beat Driver: San Francisco!

#21 Posted by Little_Socrates (5834 posts) -

As someone also desperately in love with Persona 4 and Deadly Premonition, I also support Bastion/Journey. I also suggest Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective for DS/iOS, and while the Mass Effect trilogy can go awry if things go too well for you, there are some extremely emotional moments when you fuck up.

#22 Posted by jaymorgoth (267 posts) -

Shadow Hearts, Shadows Hearts: Covenant, Enslaved, Phantasy Star IV, the Mass Effect series, Metal Gear Solid 4, Heavy Rain, and a bunch of other games but that's a good start in my mind.

#23 Posted by ItBeStefYo (1096 posts) -

@MariachiMacabre said:

@James_Giant_Peach

@ryanrulez said:

Journey and Bastion.

Ignore James posts entirely because he's a terrible troll.

I have to say though, he's kinda right. As much as i like Bastion it wasnt even close to being as emotional as P4 or DP

#24 Posted by TentPole (1856 posts) -

@James_Giant_Peach said:

@ryanrulez said:

Journey and Bastion.

Ignore the first sentence of this pretentious douche OP.

#25 Posted by YI_Orange (1210 posts) -

@ItBeStefYo: What about that part toward the end if you pick Zulf? That was fantastic.

To OP: I'll say Nier. There are a few side-missions that can make you feel genuinely bad for the characters(I'm looking at you lighthouse lady). Also, the last hour or so of that game will at least give your eyes a good misting if you're not a robot.(unless you're one of those JRPG robots that learns how to be human)

Also MEGA SPOILER ABOUT THE END OF NIER I LEARNED BY READING AN INTERVIEW WITH ONE OF THE MAIN DUDES

Turns out, the enemies are actually "evolved" people and everyone you know is actually a construction of some kind. The Shadow Lord is basically what is keeping you and everyone you know alive. When you defeat him, you remove the power source essentially dooming the world to a death over time. So you go through all that to save your daughter, only to kill her, yourself, and everyone else. That game is so depressing.

Aside from Nier, I'll also echo Persona 3 and 4 as well as Digital Devil Saga 1+2. Great games with some great moments.

#26 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8020 posts) -

The Killer

#27 Posted by ItBeStefYo (1096 posts) -

@YI_Orange: Yeah, I chose Zulf the first time round. It was cool but nowhere near enough character investment to be that sad. I suppose thats why is prefer the JRPG, cause there is a ton of character investment.

#28 Posted by falling_fast (2525 posts) -

Planescape: Torment

The Longest Journey

Red Dead Redemption

#29 Posted by Tamaster92 (290 posts) -

The ending of both bastion and red sea redemption are super emotional and fantastic and the whole of journey is - if played online. I also found dead space 2 to be kind of emotional tbh, the whole Nicole and insanity thing really hit home

#30 Edited by zombie2011 (5196 posts) -

Modern Warfare 2.

Seriously that game had some fucking highs. Also after Shepard betrays you, i don't think I've wanted to kill a video game character more than i did him, and the final scene chasing him on the speed boat then killing him with a knife he stabbed you with...Fuuuck that moment was intense.

#31 Posted by ProfessorEss (7674 posts) -
@James_Giant_Peach said:

...Eternal Sonata, bit of an overlooked philosophical and emotional gem that one, and it plays great too.

Y'know I never personally connected with Eternal Sonata too much on an emotional level, maybe because I didn't finish it, maybe because I felt it was sooo heavy-handed but regardless, I'll be damned if that ain't one fine-ass looking and and fun-ass playing game. 
#32 Posted by Breadfan (6803 posts) -

Dear Esther.

#33 Posted by TheHumanDove (2521 posts) -

@Breadfan said:

Dear Esther.

This

#34 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5904 posts) -

Persona 4, Half Life 2 have very good characters. Persona 4 more through immersing and surrounding the mc with a sort of family and entire social group, and Half Life 2 through just fucking incredibly strong individual characters.

Skyrim in a more personal sense, the emotions someone experiences wandering and exploring a strange new land. The pride as you take down the bastards sent to take you out in a show of skill with your weaponry. The loneliness of being in a desolate frozen expanse with nothing but wolves to keep you company. The intrigue and curiosity as you explore bizarre and ancient architecture.

#35 Posted by Zlimness (593 posts) -

God Hand will take you to the moon, my friend.

#36 Posted by pyromagnestir (4382 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

Fragile Dreams.

You just helped me solve a personal mystery that has been dogging me for quite some time. I think I saw this game once on IGN or something and thought it looked cool, but then forgot what it was and have been trying to find it ever since. Thanks.

#37 Posted by Azteck (7416 posts) -

Watching the end to Persona 4 felt like being stabbed in the heart. ):

#38 Posted by Klesko4 (10 posts) -

How about limbo and braid?

#39 Posted by ItBeStefYo (1096 posts) -

@Azteck: Same dude... my whole summer ended on kind of a downer because of that. Good memories though!

@Klesko4: Limbo didnt do anything for me and ive kinda avoided braid cause i knew i would have resorted to walkthroughs which sucks

#40 Posted by Jeust (11376 posts) -

Games that took its toll on me were:

• Silent Hill 2
  • Silent Hill 4
  • Lost Odyssey
  • Deadly Premonition
  • Uncharted 3
  • Nier
  • Final Fantasy X
  • Sanitarium
  • Persona 3
#41 Posted by natetodamax (19418 posts) -

The Mass Effect franchise deserves a mention depending on how invested you get.

#42 Posted by RecSpec (4561 posts) -
999, Some of those endings were brutal.
#43 Posted by Omnomnivore (2934 posts) -

None, I don't believe games have gotten to the point where they can do that sort of thing yet. Sure, they can pull on your heart strings, or make you ponder, but in the end the core technology of mechanics isn't there to allow an "emotional journey" to take place.

Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of games with a good story but they all fall short of emotionally investing you because truly you are controlling an polygon'd character through various gaming trappings like killing a thousand monsters, jumping from platform to platform, or watching scrolling text.

#44 Posted by ReyGitano (2491 posts) -

I had a lot of fun going through The World Ends With You. Maybe I wasn't emotionally invested in the game, but I felt pretty invested in the plot and seeing how everything turned out at the end.

#45 Posted by ZenaxPure (2584 posts) -

Play the first 4 Ace Attorney games, seriously.

#46 Posted by Video_Game_King (36566 posts) -

@ccampb89 said:

None, I don't believe games have gotten to the point where they can do that sort of thing yet. Sure, they can pull on your heart strings, or make you ponder, but in the end the core technology of mechanics isn't there to allow an "emotional journey" to take place.

Huh? How? Games are building off previous means of storytelling that definitely could take you on an emotional journey, so what the hell? Also, Fragile Dreams and, to a lesser extent, Katawa Shoujo (I'd like to see somebody justify calling it a journey).

#47 Posted by killacam (1320 posts) -

@Legend said:

Ico, Shadow of the Colossus, Okami and of course FFVII. :)

by association you've just sold me on okami. i assume it was the ps2 version?

#48 Posted by Animasta (14820 posts) -

@ccampb89 said:

Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of games with a good story but they all fall short of emotionally investing you because truly you are controlling an polygon'd character through various gaming trappings like killing a thousand monsters, jumping from platform to platform, or watching scrolling text.

Nier specifically uses those thousand monsters and makes you feel real bad about killing them. Also what's the difference between scrolling text and a book, huh?

#49 Posted by Omnomnivore (2934 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

@ccampb89 said:

Huh? How? Games are building off previous means of storytelling that definitely could take you on an emotional journey, so what the hell? Also, Fragile Dreams and, to a lesser extent, Katawa Shoujo (I'd like to see somebody justify calling it a journey).

@Animasta said:

@ccampb89 said:

Nier specifically uses those thousand monsters and makes you feel real bad about killing them. Also what's the difference between scrolling text and a book, huh?

I guess my point is that it's mainly graphics that haven't allowed us to move forward. Books are different because there isn't a perspective that is forced onto you, while a game shows and tells you exactly what something looks like and lacks that personal imagination. Graphics, my main point, are the main detriment to gaming - right now - because of the robotic feel you get when playing a character. Mouth movements, lack of "soul" in the eyes, and overall just an ease of pulling yourself away from a world because it doesn't look real. It may be my hook-up, but when I read a sword-fight in a novel (albeit, it would have to be well written) I can imagine the fight fluidly and it expresses itself in a far better manner than games have been able to achieve. In a game, you literally are either using an in-game user interface to select attacks, or mashing a certain button to volley your attacks towards the enemy.

I think the main thing to take away from this is that this is my view, which is entirely subjective. I do not view gaming as a source of emotional entertainment yet, because it still hasn't matured to that point within my realm of reason. I am sure that games have taken individuals to emotional levels not heard of in other medias, but I just haven't experienced that yet. Once games get to the point of allowing a "player" to truly feel like they are a part of someones world, I think that is when gaming will achieve the ability to send me on an emotional journey.

#50 Posted by Socialone (207 posts) -

Ha, the only franchise that came to my mind also happens to be the only japanese one I ever played.

Metal Gear Solid, of course.