Games with "automatic" combat

aznan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 16

I'm a very lazy guy -- so much so that I want to put as little effort as possible into the games I play.

There have been games, like Final Fantasy XII, that let you set up your characters' AI so that you can run through the world and grind without having to touch a single button. Dragon Age: Origins worked much the same way, except you had to always be in control of one character. Fortunately there was a mod to remedy that. There was also a sweet mod that made the party members automatically run around and loot stuff after a battle.

So what I'm looking for are other games where you can get through a combat scenario with little to no input. For example, Final Fantasy XIII would have qualified if you didn't have to press X to activate auto combat every single turn. Do you have any suggestions?

Kidable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Loading Video...

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

Endless Space can automatically show you the results of each battle without you having to actually go through the battles yourself...

JouselDelka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

what do you hope to achieve by playing without actually playing? just curious

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By FluxWaveZ

Candy Box.

Wait, even that requires a certain level of effort eventually.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#6  Edited By Icemael

Every game has automatic combat if you watch a playthrough on Youtube.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#7  Edited By Yummylee

Doesn't Bayonetta have a difficulty setting that was made so you could play the game one-handed or something?..

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Ares42

@yummylee said:

Doesn't Bayonetta have a difficulty setting that was made so you could play the game one-handed or something?..

yup, it's basically like the auto stuff in UMVC3, you just push any button and the game does amazing combos for you.

aznan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By aznan

@jouseldelka: I guess I'm not in it for the challenge, I'm just a content tourist.

@icemael: Yeah, but on Youtube I can't tell my character where to go when out of combat.

@yummylee: Yes, I loved that feature. It still required some button mashing, though :)

@kidable: Perfect!

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@yummylee: Yup, Vanquish has an automatic setting as well though it's not quite as hands off as Bayonetta. Bayonetta is a fun game no matter what so even as someone who 100%'d it I'd still enjoy playing on casual-auto from time to time, so relaxing.

Radiata Stories has pretty hands off combat which is good since the combat sucks but the story, characters, and recruitment/exploration parts of the game are quite enjoyable.

I should mention Final Fantasy XIII is easily the hardest Final Fantasy game so your empty quip is rather ineffectual I'm afraid.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#11  Edited By Video_Game_King

@icemael said:

Every game has automatic combat if you watch a playthrough on Youtube.

I think he meant while you're actually playing it, unless there's some game out there that replaces combat with YouTube LPs.

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I could be wrong, but I think Mass Effect 3 had a "Story" mode where you still made dialog decisions but the combat was played for you.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Pretty sure LA Noire lets you skip the combat parts, or the driving at least.

trylks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

You may be able to find mods for Mass Effect like the ones you mention for Dragon Age, did you try to search for them?

In Fable games you can go through the combats by simply pressing the magic button (I mean the button for magic attacks) but I wouldn't recommend those games for lazy guys, there's too much collecting around, IMHO.

There were some games time ago that were really good in this, Monkey Island, Broken Sword and Grim Fandango are the ones I can remember at this moment. Unfortunately I haven't seen that kind of games shine again like in the past.

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#15  Edited By tourgen
trylks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#16  Edited By trylks
Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I was playing through Final Fantasy 4 on the Psp a while back and it had an automatic combat system toggle. It was great for grinding.

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 26

#18  Edited By audioBusting
BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

EarthBound has an auto combat mode that pretty much just uses physical attacks (although the AI does sometimes heal/revive party members and cure status effects).

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#20  Edited By Video_Game_King