• 0 results
#1 Edited by HitmanAgent47 (8576 posts) -

Are there games out there that you think the graphics are so good, yet it wins no awards or gets any credit for having great graphics? It can be from any platform or next gen console. Also explain why you chose those games? I don't mean one critic, I mean like most of the critics overall.

For me it's modern warfare 2 on the pc, it has extra settings which really boost the graphics. Some levels looks quite realistic and I think it looks better than crysis 2 at times. Treyarch takes the engine and usually creates graphics on it that are alot worst, so infinityward has a good sense of level design, I remember every level they created. Also FFXIII has excellent graphics, ps3 version turned to 1080p, no one really talks about it, however locations from later levels of the game looks fantastic. It has like really good level designs and stuff, it supasses alot of pc games i've played. No one talks about how good the graphics are.

#2 Posted by AjayRaz (12428 posts) -

i thought Resident Evil 5 looked damn amazing at times and i don't remember seeing anything praising the graphics 

#3 Posted by SpiralStairs (1020 posts) -

Everybody has fucking talked about FFXIII's graphics.

#4 Posted by JJWeatherman (14558 posts) -

I kinda feel like Prince of Persia (2008) didn't get enough credit for the graphics. Maybe it did and I'm just remembering wrong. They were breathtaking though.

#5 Posted by HitmanAgent47 (8576 posts) -
@SpiralStairs: I don't remember, it's always about how aweful the game is and how it didn't live up to their expectations being so linear.
#6 Edited by Yummylee (21643 posts) -
@AjayRaz said:

" i thought Resident Evil 5 looked damn amazing at times and i don't remember seeing anything praising the graphics  "

Gametrailers made note of them. Saying it'll still look fantastic 5 years ahead, much like RE4 did.
#7 Edited by ryanwho (12082 posts) -

Looking at some old screenshots, Xenosaga was pretty impressive for the time. The game itself had issues, sure. 
Also, Onimusha 2 probably still has the best prerendered scenery I've seen in any game. 
Guilty Gear doesn't get props very often for being way ahead of the curve on HD sprites.

#8 Posted by natetodamax (19206 posts) -

Plenty of critics talk about the graphics for FF13. Kevin VanOrd went out of his way in his video review to basically say that the 360 version is a horrible, ugly mess. Which I disagree with.

#9 Posted by supermike6 (3564 posts) -

I thought Bad Company looked really good when it first came out. And Bad Company 2 also. Maybe that's just because I play on consoles mostly.

#10 Posted by Borodin (416 posts) -

I can't at the moment but I can think of the reverse - I thought Alan Wake looked like *ass* and I remember a number of reviews I read specifically praising the graphics.

#11 Posted by AjayRaz (12428 posts) -
@Abyssfull: ahh alright. they're not wrong. man, that part later on when you're on the spinning computer...thingy.  

oh MAN. 
#12 Posted by DougQuaid (1274 posts) -
@JJWeatherman said:
" I kinda feel like Prince of Persia (2008) didn't get enough credit for the graphics. Maybe it did and I'm just remembering wrong. They were breathtaking though. "
This. 

There was something about that game that made it super relaxing and enjoyable to just sit back and play.
#13 Posted by TheMustacheHero (6655 posts) -

Graphics < Gameplay
Also: "Worser" wtf.

#14 Posted by SpiralStairs (1020 posts) -
@HitmanAgent47 said:
" @SpiralStairs: I don't remember, it's always about how aweful the game is and how it didn't live up to their expectations being so linear. "
That and how pretty the graphics and the cutscenes are.
#15 Posted by Geno (6477 posts) -
@TheMustacheHero said:
" Graphics < Gameplay
Graphics are a significant part of games last time I checked so it's fair game to discuss them. Unless you're blind or have your eyes stitched shut or something.  

Anyway, my vote goes to Dirt 2. Reviewers on the whole said the game looked "good", but I don't think they realize that it's as of yet the best looking racing gaming out right now by a long shot, and will probably remain so until Dirt 3 (GT5 sure isn't going to take the crown from it). 
#16 Posted by sodiumCyclops (2644 posts) -

Dirt 2, Bad Company 2.

Modern Warfare didn't look that great. It was all the added effects that made it look good.

#17 Posted by EVO (3908 posts) -

MotorStorm: Pacific Rift. That game is a sight to behold.

#18 Posted by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -

Red Dead Redemption's world looks EXACTLY like a painting of the real thing. You'd never realize this if you didn't live in that part of the country.

#19 Posted by Fjordson (2448 posts) -
@HitmanAgent47 said:
"For me it's modern warfare 2 on the pc, it has extra settings which really boost the graphics.

Superb follow up to the Uncharted 2 vs. MW 2 thread.
#20 Posted by ATrevelan (606 posts) -

Generally, I've gotta give both Modern Warfare games some serious props for looking as good as they do while running at a steady clip on the consoles. Also, the Call of Duty series has had the absolute best smoke effects since CoD 2. They haven't changed a whole lot since then, but then again they haven't needed to change. 

As far as other games go, I remember Doom 3 getting a heap of praise for the technical proficiency of its engine, but most reviewers overlooked the awesome art design of the game's hellish aspects. Zombie soldiers, military corridors, and the like were all more or less what you expect, but the first time you see the Pinky Demon is downright awesome, and the game only gets better from there.

#21 Posted by InfamousBIG (3201 posts) -
@Geno said:
" @TheMustacheHero said:
" Graphics < Gameplay
Graphics are a significant part of games last time I checked so it's fair game to discuss them. Unless you're blind or have your eyes stitched shut or something.   Anyway, my vote goes to Dirt 2. Reviewers on the whole said the game looked "good", but I don't think they realize that it's as of yet the best looking racing gaming out right now by a long shot, and will probably remain so until Dirt 3 (GT5 sure isn't going to take the crown from it).  "
Dirrt 2 is fucking sexy with DX11 and all settings on max, running at >60 FPS.  Fuck yes.
#22 Posted by agentboolen (1786 posts) -

Top Gear Rally, back in the N64 days this game blew away any other driving game, and no one ever talked about it.

#23 Posted by Bobdaman18 (700 posts) -
@Fjordson:
That clip made me laugh way longer than it should have, thanks.
#24 Posted by trophyhunter (5800 posts) -

All games look good now get over it

#25 Posted by fuzzyponken (694 posts) -
@trophyhunter said:
" All games look good now get over it "
What?
#26 Posted by Landon (4143 posts) -

Okami seems to have been forgotten as the best looking game ever made.

#27 Posted by TheFreeMan (2712 posts) -

I don't remember many people talking about how good Metroid Prime 3 looked, but that game looked really fucking good. The bloom lighting was great and the art direction was just plain amazing.

#28 Posted by Bionicicide (1213 posts) -

Sports games. Except when they zoom in on the crowd... but when it's actual gameplay then it looks like a real life game is being played.

#29 Posted by trophyhunter (5800 posts) -
@fuzzyponken said:
" @trophyhunter said:
What? "
99% of all games coming out these days look good. It's not that big of a deal, we live in the HD era.
#30 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@trophyhunter said:
" @fuzzyponken said:
" @trophyhunter said:
What? "
99% of all games coming out these days look good. It's not that big of a deal, we live in the HD era. "
Rogue warrior. 
#31 Posted by trophyhunter (5800 posts) -
@The_Laughing_Man said:
" @trophyhunter said:
" @fuzzyponken said:
" @trophyhunter said:
What? "
99% of all games coming out these days look good. It's not that big of a deal, we live in the HD era. "
Rogue warrior.  "
That's the 1%
#32 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@trophyhunter said:
" @The_Laughing_Man said:
" @trophyhunter said:
" @fuzzyponken said:
" @trophyhunter said:
What? "
Rogue warrior.  "
That's the 1% "
And it should be burnt. And the studio that made it should burn as well.
#33 Posted by stephengotlost (703 posts) -

STALKER

#34 Edited by fuzzyponken (694 posts) -
@trophyhunter said:

Now that's just plain old misinformed. The AAA titles that end up being reviewed and talked about by gaming media outlets are a very, very, very small part of the gaming scene as a whole. There's so much garbage out there you could literally drown in it. 
#35 Posted by trophyhunter (5800 posts) -
@The_Laughing_Man said:
" @trophyhunter said:
" @The_Laughing_Man said:
" @trophyhunter said:
" @fuzzyponken said:
" @trophyhunter said:
What? "
Rogue warrior.  "
That's the 1% "
And it should be burnt. And the studio that made it should burn as well. "
sure
#36 Posted by TotalEklypse (1000 posts) -

so mw2 looks better than crysis 2 which isnt out yet or fully polished? hmm.. no sir i cant agree there. or can i borrow your time machine so i can go play crysis 2 also?

#37 Edited by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -

What are we defining graphics as? 

I mean, if we are just talking about texture quality and shit I couldn't give a fuck less. 

The only thing I really care about is the art.

#38 Posted by trophyhunter (5800 posts) -
@fuzzyponken said:
" @trophyhunter said:

Now that's just plain old misinformed. The AAA titles that end up being reviewed and talked about by gaming media outlets are a very, very, very small part of the gaming scene as a whole. There's so much garbage out there you could literally drown in it.  "
Yeah, because all I play are AAA games. 
Trust me I play a lot of games and I think 99% look good.
#39 Edited by xyzygy (9992 posts) -

Besides the character designs and models, Baten Kaitos has some of the most beautiful pre-rendered backgrounds of any video game to date. 

#40 Posted by Mikemcn (6988 posts) -

Just Cause 2 was friggin beautiful.

#41 Posted by JoelTGM (5596 posts) -
@fuzzyponken said:
" @trophyhunter said:
What? "
GET OVER IT
#42 Edited by fuzzyponken (694 posts) -
@trophyhunter said:

Yeah, because all I play are AAA games.  Trust me I play a lot of games and I think 99% look good. "

Well, you're either not very perceptive or you just have low standards. 
#43 Posted by trophyhunter (5800 posts) -
@fuzzyponken said:
" @trophyhunter said:

Yeah, because all I play are AAA games.  Trust me I play a lot of games and I think 99% look good. "

Well, you're either not very perceptive or you just have low standards.  "
Well I'm not a jackass so I guess low standards.
#44 Posted by Jacob (106 posts) -
#45 Edited by HitmanAgent47 (8576 posts) -

I always thought tomb raider underworld on the pc had really good graphics, or I can create really great screenshots from it. Nice details everywhere, it's a very detailed game even if the character looks a bit simple.

#46 Posted by Toms115 (2316 posts) -
@Geno said:
" @TheMustacheHero said:
" Graphics < Gameplay
Graphics are a significant part of games last time I checked so it's fair game to discuss them. Unless you're blind or have your eyes stitched shut or something.   Anyway, my vote goes to Dirt 2. Reviewers on the whole said the game looked "good", but I don't think they realize that it's as of yet the best looking racing gaming out right now by a long shot, and will probably remain so until Dirt 3 (GT5 sure isn't going to take the crown from it).  "

i assume you mean graphical prowess, not art style or anything, and my take on graphical prowess is that it plays the least significant part in any video game. however, for the basis of this thread, i will play along.

considering its age, final fantasy x still stands up (relatively) well.

..aaaaaand that's about it for my contribution to any sort of valid discussion in this thread.

#47 Posted by defaulttag (890 posts) -

Shattered Horizon

#48 Edited by Tearhead (2168 posts) -

It's gotten to a point where technical graphics don't do it for me like they once did say five or six years ago. What I care about now is how they use graphics to portray the artistic aesthetics of the game. For instance, Uncharted 2 knocked me over with its graphical design because how they used the technical and the artistic aspects to enhance immersion into the game and the world it has created. Final Fantasy XIII, while the graphics are technically great, artistically it was sub-par. They separated the player from their world, the graphics and gameplay, and as result, created an experience where the player sees each part of the game separately, never all together. When I play FFXIII, it's like "Oh, this is the part I play." then "Oh, this is the part where I experience the story... but not play." I feel games like Uncharted 2, Portal and Braid have created a product where you experience all of the elements of a videogame at once. 

So really, what SHOULD matter is how the graphics of a game enhance other aspects of said game. Yes, games like Final Fantasy XIII had some great graphics, but it didn't make the story or gameplay any more enjoyable.

#49 Posted by jkz (4025 posts) -

It's been mentioned, but I found DIRT 2 absolutely beautiful, especially so on the PC, although it looked great on consoles too. Codemasters really know how to code an engine.

#50 Posted by Meteora (5787 posts) -

Bad Company series and post-Call of Duty 4 games do not receive very good praise for their graphics, Call of Duty in particular; considering how the game runs buttery-smooth on consoles while sporting rather good graphics for a game running at high frames constantly.