Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#53  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

Huh, it's pretty hard to think of many games that give openly gay characters a central role. Of course there's Mass Effect, as you've already pointed out. I guess there's no reason to mark this as a spoiler, but Gone Home has a pretty touching story involving a young girl coming out. It's also a very accessible game for someone who's really not good with twitchy controls. The rebooted Tomb Raider game that came out earlier this year features a pretty strong female character, but then again it is pretty combat oriented.

I would recommend she check out Fire emblem awakening, given you can create a character that's either male or female. It's straight up a strategy rpg, so it's not twitchy or immediately high stakes.(That is, if she enjoys elements of strategy)

Also, as long as I'm talking about rpgs, since she enjoys those and also likes dating sim elements then I thoroughly recommend Persona 3 and 4. The psp version of P3 even has an option to play as a female character. Unfortunately that's all I can think of related to video games. Hope that helps a little.

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

As someone who doesn't really play Bioware games Arcade Gannon is the only one that jumps out at me.

peritus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#55  Edited By peritus

Fable 2 is the only thing that comes to mind. Its an easy game to pick up and you can choose you're gender and sexuality. And then actually have that be a meaningful part of your playthrough.

*edit: And its just a great game, so maybe all three of you should just play it! :-p

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Aaaaand there goes the thread.

Pack it up, guys. We had a good run.

Please don't write comments about the "state" of the thread. It helps nothing, and only adds to disrupting conversations that are clearly still interesting and productive despite your earlier judgement.

artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By artelinarose

why cant we ever have nice discussions about this

just use gsrm for Gender, Sexuality, and Romantic Minorities

thank you

also sex and gender are not the same thing thank you again

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Nier for sure.

LGBTQ is fun to pronounce as if it's not an acronym. It comes out like Leg Butt Qua.

LikeaSsur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By LikeaSsur

Not participating in something because you're not represented? Eh....this may be my "white male privilege" talking (ironic seeing as I'm not white), but that seems a little pretentious. She can't enjoy Left 4 Dead because Zoey is straight? Okay.

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not participating in something because you're not represented? Eh....this may be my "white male privilege" talking (ironic seeing as I'm not white), but that seems a little pretentious. She can't enjoy Left 4 Dead because Zoey is straight? Okay.

To awkwardly quote myself from this very thread...

This was kind of my thought too, but then looking at the OP again it says this lady is primarily into dating sims, so the sexual orientation of the character would probably play a part in what she wants to get out of it.

From what the OP is describing, it doesn't seem like she wouldn't enjoy L4D because Zoey is straight, she wouldn't enjoy L4D because it's not the type of game she's interested in in the first place.

wjb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Your avatar is white, so talk your way out of that one, pal!

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#62  Edited By Video_Game_King

@hunter5024:

IT IS MORE FUN TO LOOK AT AS AN ACRONYM. IT LOOKS LIKE A BARBECUED BLT THAT IS ACCEPTING OF ALL GENDERS AND SEXUAL ORIENTATIONS. I WILL STOP SHOUTING ONCE GIANT BOMB FIXES THIS GLITCH THAT EATS UP POSTS WHEN YOU USE THE REPLY FUNCTION.

ryanwhom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Most role playing games let you pic gender and don't really bring up sexual preference because its not relevant to the plot. That doesn't mean its not represented, it just means who someone's fucking doesn't factor into most game stories and it would be a silly thing to single out for no plot related reason. That why is always seems silly as shit when the scene pops up in Mass Effect or other Bioware games, I dont know what kind of people Bioware thinks play their games if that's the 'reward'. Maybe people like your friend. Get her on Dragon Age I guess.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@nekroskop said:

@artelinarose: No more psudo-intellectual made up abreviations, please. Just say it normally. Or else it will end up like thumblr crap(ie. cis, which is just crazy talk for 'Biological') This shit has to stop.

Don't be fucking with them otherkin. They straight gangstas.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#66  Edited By Milkman

Dude asks a simple question and some people just can't resist being assholes. Yeah, keep blaming "thumblr", guys. There's clearly not a problem here.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

soldierg654342

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By soldierg654342

@deadpancakes said:

Edit: OHOHOH Valkyria Chronicles. Many of the side characters vary in genders and sexuality, if I recall correctly.

Everyone should play Valkyria Chronicles for gay Bender.

So I Googled "games with lesbian main characters" in an effort to help you on your quest and this tread is on page 2. That should probably give you and idea of the type of quest your're on.

Elwoodan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dragon age will put your character model in a couple of strange positions with another character model of the same gender, but as I just finished DA:O a few days ago and those scenes are clear in my mind, I would be hard pressed to call that a sex scene.

DeadpanCakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@soldierg654342: Oh man, I didn't know John DiMaggio voiced Jann, 'cause I played that game with Japanese voices.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

@artelinarose: No more psudo-intellectual made up abreviations, please. Just say it normally. Or else it will end up like thumblr crap(ie. cis, which is just crazy talk for 'Biological') This shit has to stop.

you spend a lot of time commenting about how you hate everything to do with political correctness.

I'm just saying

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By TheHT
Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Darji

@crusader8463 said:
Such majestic beauty.
Such majestic beauty.

Just wanted to add one more voice to the Dragon Age games. Bioware has always been pretty good with that stuff. I got a man crush on one of the male leads in DA:O, you know the guy, and my character instantly became gay. Big hairy gay dwarf man getting it on with elf man. It was a thing of beauty.

You can't get your gay on with each character, but you can romance just about everyone with everyone else.

Dragon Age 2 has in my opinion one of the most offensive transgender character in it. So I would not recommend anything Dragon Age 2 related.

MC_Hify

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By MC_Hify

Oh, I just remembered! Try anything Christine Love has done. She describers herself as "I write games with too many words in them about women and queerness and technology, and I believe strongly in the power of cuteness.." Digital: A Love Story was awesome.

Link to her site

icicle7x3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By icicle7x3

I remember Enchanted Arms having some gay characters...not much else.

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Nekroskop

@animasta: You spend a lot of time stalking me. Just saying...

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By ArtisanBreads

I love the girl who is obsessed with Mitsuru in the hallway in Persona 3.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@artisanbreads: Well if we're counting games with girls just crushing on other girls, we need to include Final Fantasy 8 for two-thirds of the Trepies.

"The Midnight Channel says my soul mate is a girl! What does that mean?" Oh Chie.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"The Midnight Channel says my soul mate is a girl! What does that mean?" Oh Chie.

So hilarious because I started watching the ER again and just exactly got to that part when I read your reply.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#81  Edited By crusader8463

@darji said:

@crusader8463 said:
Such majestic beauty.
Such majestic beauty.

Just wanted to add one more voice to the Dragon Age games. Bioware has always been pretty good with that stuff. I got a man crush on one of the male leads in DA:O, you know the guy, and my character instantly became gay. Big hairy gay dwarf man getting it on with elf man. It was a thing of beauty.

You can't get your gay on with each character, but you can romance just about everyone with everyone else.

Dragon Age 2 has in my opinion one of the most offensive transgender character in it. So I would not recommend anything Dragon Age 2 related.

Everything about DA2 is offensive. No one should ever play that game under any circumstance.

notdavid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There's this adventure game that just got Kickstarted called Read Only Memories. Looks pretty neat going by what they showed so far.

Also, anything by Christine Love. "Digital: A Love Story" doesn't really focus on LGBTQ themes, but her follow-up, "Don't Take It Personally, Babe, It Just Ain't Your Story" has four of the most fully realized and relatable queer characters I've ever seen in games. It's been a while since I played "Analogue: A Hate Story", but I recall it covering similar themes.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#83  Edited By monkeyking1969

For all you folks asking about LGBTQ, you are AWARE you are on the Internet/Web when you start typing these questions in to receive instant answers, right?

As to what Q could mean, I suppose you might need a questioning mind to deduced that for yourself. One would think, it would be quit queer for it to have no meaning. But, again, I think a modern questioning mind could come up with an adequate answer.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By WinterSnowblind

A bunch of the NPC's in Guild Wars 2 are gay. Caithe, Faolain, Marjory and Kasmeer in particular (the latter two is basically odd flirty dialogue, but still) and there's a few quests for generic NPC's that have implications, like a sylvari guy who asks you to rescue his husband.

@artisanbreads said:

I love the girl who is obsessed with Mitsuru in the hallway in Persona 3.

Persona barely touches on the subject. It wouldn't really be that big a deal, but playing as the female character and being asked who you like, with the only options being two guys and "you wouldn't know him" is a bit disappointing. Anything that is mentioned is pure fanservice and quickly tossed aside as being a joke or unrealistic (because no one in highschool could ever be attracted to someone of the same sex, right?). I actually think a lot of people would just find it offensive, especially if you're specifically looking for games that involve LGBT stuff.

bunnymud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pokemon???

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@notdavid said:

There's this adventure game that just got Kickstarted called Read Only Memories. Looks pretty neat going by what they showed so far.

Also, anything by Christine Love. "Digital: A Love Story" doesn't really focus on LGBTQ themes, but her follow-up, "Don't Take It Personally, Babe, It Just Ain't Your Story" has four of the most fully realized and relatable queer characters I've ever seen in games. It's been a while since I played "Analogue: A Hate Story", but I recall it covering similar themes.

one of the blocks in analogue exclusively deals in a lesbian relationship

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@notdavid said:

That thing actually looks awesome. I wonder if it made more or less money by promoting itself as queer-friendly. I have a feeling like the people who are down for a cyberpunk game inspired by Snatcher would be there regardless because where else are they going to go.

Gar, funded 12 hours ago. Hopefully they have a late donation thing.

OH MAN PEOPLE MAKE SNES NOISES WHEN THEY TALK

psylah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By psylah

Probably my favorite character reveal was in Indigo Prophecy / Fahrenheit, with the female lead character's neighbor coming to her door with wine and a pair of wine glasses. I thought, "oh man this is going to be some cheesy romance scene" since the female was basically in panties and a tank top at the time she opened the door, but when he came in, he said he brought wine to celebrate, because he feels like he found "Mr. Right". I always felt that a gay character shouldn't be such a big deal, because they are just normal people like the rest of us, and that part nailed it.

You can't play as him, you just have a conversation with him in your apartment.

psylah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By psylah

@deadpancakes said:

Edit: OHOHOH Valkyria Chronicles. Many of the side characters vary in genders and sexuality, if I recall correctly.

As long as you're not super sensitive. The Jann Walker character is a walking stereotype (but STILL the best lancer in the game, keep him in your crew).

The anime really went above and beyond with the character, apparently. Cringeworthy,

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji said:

@crusader8463 said:
Such majestic beauty.
Such majestic beauty.

Everything about DA2 is offensive. No one should ever play that game under any circumstance.

Yeah it is a bad game but this? I really wonder how people did not freak about about this

Loading Video...

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Klei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By Klei
No Caption Provided

How many of you played the original on the PS1? Fear Effect has two lesbians as main protagonists.

Edit: pardon my stupidity, but a while ago, I thought LGBT ( now LGBTQ ) was some sort of BBQ sauce or Quiznos sandwich. Mock me, I know.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By Oldirtybearon

@darji said:

@crusader8463 said:

@darji said:

@crusader8463 said:
Such majestic beauty.
Such majestic beauty.

Yeah it is a bad game but this? I really wonder how people did not freak about about this

Loading Video...

I don't get it. What's offensive about it?

ervonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

GrimGrimoire, the best Vanillaware game, has a great female lead and some lesbian subtext near the end of the game. It was tasteful, funny at times and didn't feel out of place, you could even write it off as nothing given Amoretta's backstory.

No Caption Provided

endaround

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By endaround

Since she likes VNs they are some. Chrsitine Love's games have been mentioned. There are also Hanako games like Magical Diary and Long Live the Queen. Winterwolves has been making VNs and VNs cross RPGs for a while: www.winterwolves.com. (A company that still can't get onto steam despite having shipped numerous games).

yinstarrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

New Vegas has the best gay characters out of any game I've played. They aren't scared of their sexuality, and they don't shy away from it, and they don't let it control them or define who they are. They're confident in their preferences in a way I wish all gay people (and all not-gay people) could be.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By TheHT
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theht:

Who said homosexuality was wrong?

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

Your friend already plays and enjoys dating sims, which is pretty much the only group of games where the protagonist's sexuality actually matters. It sounds like other video game genres quite simply aren't for her -- if you don't enjoy racing, shooting, platforming, puzzle-solving, exploring etc. then you sure as hell won't start enjoying it just because the main character is a lesbian. Even in story-focused adventure games, the main character's sexuality is seldom more than a footnote (if it's even brought up at all).

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Last of Us; not sure if you could consider him strong or not, and while he's an important character, he's not in it for too long, but I think it treats it well enough.