Games With Structure

PerryVandell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

Edited By PerryVandell

Well, it's officially the summer slump in which the only games one has to look foward are the souless movie and tv games like Transformers and Hannah Montana. So what is one to do video game wise? Well, one of the easier answers are openworld games, since they provide a longer gaming experience for the most part. However this can be both a pro and a con. Recently I've been playing Fallout 3 again as an evil character and it was great for the first... 20 or so hours, then for the next 10-15 hours it was fun, but in a more, "I'm almost done" kind've way. Then the last 5 hours I wasn't really having fun, but merely trying to get the achievements for Broken Steel. Of course today the game crashed on me twice at a certain point so I'm saying fuck it, I'm done. DONE. I feel good that I played through Fallout 3 again and finally blew up Megaton and finishing off Moira Brown (Who is perhaps the most annoying character in the entire game) but, it came at a cost. I feel that if a game gets to the point of boring then it's been going on for too long. It may very well be my fault for not taking a break, however normally i like playing a game until I beat it so I can have some sense of closure. (unless the game keeps crashing) Mainly what I'm getting at is that Open World games are all well and good, but when they are played to the extreme, it doesn't work that well. Proabably all the more reason for me not to play Red Faction: Gorrilla, but hey, it's summer. What else is there?

PerryVandell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By PerryVandell

Well, it's officially the summer slump in which the only games one has to look foward are the souless movie and tv games like Transformers and Hannah Montana. So what is one to do video game wise? Well, one of the easier answers are openworld games, since they provide a longer gaming experience for the most part. However this can be both a pro and a con. Recently I've been playing Fallout 3 again as an evil character and it was great for the first... 20 or so hours, then for the next 10-15 hours it was fun, but in a more, "I'm almost done" kind've way. Then the last 5 hours I wasn't really having fun, but merely trying to get the achievements for Broken Steel. Of course today the game crashed on me twice at a certain point so I'm saying fuck it, I'm done. DONE. I feel good that I played through Fallout 3 again and finally blew up Megaton and finishing off Moira Brown (Who is perhaps the most annoying character in the entire game) but, it came at a cost. I feel that if a game gets to the point of boring then it's been going on for too long. It may very well be my fault for not taking a break, however normally i like playing a game until I beat it so I can have some sense of closure. (unless the game keeps crashing) Mainly what I'm getting at is that Open World games are all well and good, but when they are played to the extreme, it doesn't work that well. Proabably all the more reason for me not to play Red Faction: Gorrilla, but hey, it's summer. What else is there?

Avatar image for ownlyuzinwonhan
OwnlyUzinWonHan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By OwnlyUzinWonHan

It's a problem of games in general (Especially single player oriented) , most of em have you doing the same thing from beginning to end, it's just that open-world games tend to last longer. I'd say try Red Faction though, was really fun until the end.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By MrKlorox

I was so bored with Fallout 3 I couldn't finish the story once. And this comes from a guy who loved the hell out of the first two Fallouts at the turn of the century. A certain amount of soul was missing from F3 that was fully present back in the day. If you can, I'd recommend playing through those utter classics (available for 6 bucks each from GoodOldGames). Or if you're sick of post-apocalyptica, try Arcanum for PC. It's from the original primary Fallout designers and is the best CRPG I've ever played.

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By EVO

LittleBigPlanet: the game that keeps on giving.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By MrKlorox
@EVO: Exactly! Unlimited fresh content is necessary for replyability. Diablo had it right with procedural levels. I wouldn't mind fetch quests if they were into unique locations each time. I don't know how this would work for a single persistent world though.

Perhaps it would work best for multiplayer in a fashion similar to Worms. A random number acts as a fractal seed which generates a world based on a specific set of rules, and each world can be recalled by entering the same seed number.
c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By c1337us

Usually during times like this I try to knock off a few old games that I havent finished yet or go back and pick up a couple of games that have been around for a while on the cheap that weren't quite worth paying full price for the first time around. This time though I have been playing some RPG's that are taking a long time for me to beat so I am actually hoping I will have a chance to finish them all before releases start picking up again.

PerryVandell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By PerryVandell

Yeah, I've started MGS 4 again, and I'm starting Red Faction: Guerrilla soon. Batman: Arkham Asylum won't turn out too bad.