Avatar image for theirishcuisine
TheIrishCuisine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#101  Edited By TheIrishCuisine

@mikey87144: I've actually gone back to play those because of a recommendation from a friend. It's a great game, if a bit repetitive. I had no idea there was a group of people that hated it, but i guess there's will always a group of people to dislike anything.

Schmollian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nasp: I don't think there has ever been a video game as hyped up as Doom 3 was right before it came out. It got the type of hype that you just can't possibly live up to. People got disappointed that it was different from the old games and couldn't "live up to the legacy". Eventually it just started getting hated on by word of mouth alone.

I loved it. People who hate it can go to hell........ <_< >_> <_< See what I did there? -_-

Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 0

NEWS FLASH: PEOPLE HATE EVERY VIDEO GAME IN THE WORLD

nasp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nasp: I don't think there has ever been a video game as hyped up as Doom 3 was right before it came out. It got the type of hype that you just can't possibly live up to. People got disappointed that it was different from the old games and couldn't "live up to the legacy". Eventually it just started getting hated on by word of mouth alone.

I loved it. People who hate it can go to hell........ <_< >_> <_< See what I did there? -_-

yeah it was super hyped.kinda glad i havent played it till now so i can experience it and have a opinion not swaded by the super hype or the haters.its kinda funny that most games that are hated i end up liking.maybe its because the real bad games dont get talked about as much as games that are hated on as bad.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

@gunstarred said:

@tothenines said:

TMNT for the NES. I mean I loved it as a kid. And then I watch unprofessional friday and learned that the crew unanimously thinks the game is shit. =/

That's because it's shit.

YOU are shit.

Hey man. It's not my fault that once Donatello is gone it's pretty much game over. Everyone knows Leonardo should be the best... Leonardo IS the best. Turtles on the NES is a pile of poo, and factually inaccurate.

xXHesekielXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i would say.., Mario Kart on the Nintendo 64.

Shortbreadtom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Super Mario Sunshine is the best Mario game.

Look into your hearts, you know it to be true.

Remember the roller coaster boss? Shit was sick.

ganz32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ajamafalous: Fuck that Game! yah same here maybe got past the underwater 2 or 3 times in all the years.

cloudymusic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By cloudymusic

Pilotwings 64. I fucking love that game, and I think it's a lot better than the SNES game. I don't care what the GB guys say.

wmoyer83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 6

I think Nintendo in general gets a lot of hate, whether its games or the systems, which I just don't understand. I can understand being disappointed by Nintendo but to just hate whatever they do right out of the gate boggles my mind.

MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@castiel said:

NEWS FLASH: PEOPLE HATE EVERY VIDEO GAME IN THE WORLD

Some more than others. Like, if someone who really liked Aliens: Colonial Marines and had never engaged in online internet game discussion were to ask on a forum "How awesome was Aliens: Colonial Marines?" He/she would be shocked at the near universal negative opinion of it.

A fairer example might be Mass Effect 3. I can see how someone can love that game and then be surprised at the general consensus of the game. It's a well crafted, well playing game that's marred by the fact that it has an incredibly disappointing ending and is regarded as the most inferior in the series. Every game has its detractors, but again, some more than others.

Another game for me is Halo 2. Ending left me as blue balled as anyone else, but I was surprised to hear so much hate toward the campaign. I guess part of the reason I liked it so much is because I couldn't spend as much money on games and so I played the fuck out of Halo 2's campaign, finding new ways to beat a level, keep all NPCs alive, or just break the game with grenade jumps and finding hidden skulls.

winsord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#112  Edited By winsord

I liked Superman 64 as a kid. I don't think I ever made it past the second flying rings mission in that game, but I had a lot of fun just being Superman. Flying around above ground and underwater, shooting lasers from his eyes for a very brief amount of time, and just generally not doing the actual objectives in that game; I thought it was cool at the time (≤6 years old). I also remember renting Gex: Enter the Gecko and Glover multiple times.

Vod_Crack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

@sbaitso said:

I don't know if this quite fits, but the Dualshock 3 gets a lot of hate I've never understood. The Sixaxis definitely wasn't great, but I love my dualshock. I remember people taking to it well when it first was released, but now I only ever see hate for it.

It's trash compared to the 360 pad. The Dualshock has a much better D-Pad but that's it. The triggers are so shit, most shooters still use L1 and R1.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@winsord said:

I liked Superman 64 as a kid. I don't think I ever made it past the second flying rings mission in that game, but I had a lot of fun just being Superman. Flying around above ground and underwater, shooting lasers from his eyes for a very brief amount of time, and just generally not doing the actual objectives in that game; I thought it was cool at the time (≤6 years old). I also remember renting Gex: Enter the Gecko and Glover multiple times.

Man, I rented all of those games too. Superman was so bad; rented it at the recommendation of my dad.

Somehow I own a copy of Glover, but I never made it past the third or fourth world I think.

Gex (and 2 and 3) are sick as shit though. THOSE POP CULTURE REFERENCES.

mrcraggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@zevvion said:

@mrcraggle said:

@glottery said:

Darksiders 2 comes to mind as the most recent example, though maybe "hate" has to be replaced with "disappointment". Even in that case, though, I was puzzled because I thought it was fantastic and improved on almost every level from the first game.

I actually wrote a blog about it and my issues with DS2 compared to the first and it seemed the comments agreed.

I don't. Both games have a different set up for the world. In that, it changes a lot of things. I still really like Darksiders, but I also still very much like Darksiders II. They are on equal ground for me. You blog more or less says how it's different from the first game, therefor less good. Yeah, it's different from the first game, but it's just as good.

It was different in a way I didn't enjoy. The loot system felt pointless, Death wasn't a very interesting character, the story just plodded along and the fetch quests within fetch quests just grated me too much for me to really enjoy it as much as the first. Is that fair for me to say?

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

@mrcraggle: I wasn't commenting on the premise that your blog wasn't fair from your point of view. Just sharing my opinion on it.

SJQPersonal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Turok

kaos_cracker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

Kingdom Hearts for me.

FidusLingura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By FidusLingura

A game I really enjoyed as a kid was bomberman 64. Thought it was a good entry into the series. Until I spoke with some guys online and came to the conclusion nobody else liked bomberman 64.

Avatar image for stevetheradroach
StevetheRadroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I loved Twilight Princess as a kid and see a lot of hate for it now. I had never played anything like it when it came out, and it was my first 3D Zelda game.

egg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@trusty_spoon: I think bomberman 64 has a following and some think it's the best bomberman game

galacticgravy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mega Man Legends. I loved it as a kid and was really surprised to see everyone hated it. Even as a kid I was like "yeah, it's not Mega Man but I still like it."

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@vuud said:

Mario Kart 64. I mean what's not to like? I think Jeff talking about it was the first time I ever heard negative words about MK64.

I think most of the wider audience disagrees with Jeff on that though. Among people in my age range that is your Mario Kart. I know people who had N64's still hooked up in college exclusively to play that (and they did quite often).

Maybe it has something to do with the "Your first Mario Kart" theory but regardless, it's just how it is. People love that game.

Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

@ajamafalous said:

@hailinel said:

@ajamafalous said:

@ripelivejam said:

@morningstar said:

@tothenines said:

TMNT for the NES. I mean I loved it as a kid. And then I watch unprofessional friday and learned that the crew unanimously thinks the game is shit. =/

I played that for years as a kid! Fuck the haters :p

that game made me cry as a kid. FUCK. THAT. GAME.

Fucking underwater dam level, dude. I think I only ever got past it two or three times.

Same. Even getting to the point where you can drive the Turtle Van in that game should count as a victory. I never even got close to the Technodrome.

I think all three times I got past it I was down to 1-2 turtles and died on that first top-down driving screen.

It was a tough game, but I finished it. It probably helped that I had very few games as a kid, so I played them over and over again. First time I beat the technodrome, me and a friend ran around the living room screaming and jumping, that's how hard it was :p

I'll join the TMNT support group, i remember getting into an argument with a kid at school who thought the game sucked.

Also, I'll add The Simpsons Bart vs The Space Mutants , vs The World, and whatever the Gameboy version was.

StarFox_Mulder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Super Mario Sunshine. How the mother puppying hell could that game be considered anything other than great. I finished it only a few months ago and it's better than anything on them hundrid and twenty eighty eight meggy-bit boxes.

And Yoshi's Island. Amazing game. Please let somebody else say they've thought "Do yourself a favour, be a liquor saver" when the level select menu plays. Please. "Liquor save at Kwik Save" also counts. You're dead inside if you hate Yoshi's Island.

medacris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#126  Edited By medacris

I remember reading only negative reactions of Resident Evil 4 when it came out, but once the later games came out, it was suddenly regarded as a classic. I wasn't sure whether people had re-evaluated the game and realized they didn't hate it as much as they initially did, or if I was seeing the reactions of a totally different group of people, or if it was out of the realization that however bad they thought it was, RE5 was worse. I don't think "well, there are worse games than this one" makes a game (or anything) good.

Super Mario Sunshine was one of those Catch-22 games for me. People complained about Mario having no personality, and that the games ran on an excuse plot rather than an actual storyline, then people complained about the game having an actual storyline and dialogue. It reminded me of when Final Fantasy X came out, and it seemed like the same people who complained about Cloud and Squall being too angsty also hated Tidus for being too cheerful.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MGS 2. Didn't realize people were turned off by the "Switcheroo" until the internet...last I checked it won nearly every "Game of the Year" award and got universal praise when it came out. It's still an amazing game, and one of the PS2's crowning achievements.

Donkey Kong Country. Are some people living in an alternate universe where this game wasn't the biggest thing ever? It was never as good as Mario, but it was still the best pure platformer on the snes not named Mario. People at Giant Bomb, etc act like this game wasn't a big deal, but geez this game was all anyone talked about when it came out. The graphics were also mindblowing at the time, I couldn't believe a game looked like that on Super Nintendo.

Goldeneye 64. Probably the best first-person shooter ever when it came out. It pioneered split-screen deathmatch on the television. Maybe the most influential game ever after Tetris, Pac-man, and Mario; especially when you consider what Call of Duty is today. Enough BS with that it doesn't hold up as well, because I find it holds up exceptionally well...the only difference is the control scheme which I think is really a brilliant, alternate way to control a FPS.The C button strafe system is so elegent, you can move in a buttery smooth way that's just not possible on today's console FPSs with the dual joystick setup. Before Goldeneye every FPS was called a "doom clone". C'mon now internet, it's a genius game, it changed a genre.

Wait, how did golden eye change the fps genre at all? I played it alot on my n64 back int he day too, but it didnt change or influence shit. Other than perfect dark, no other shooter is remotely like it (because it controlled like garbage). What exactly did it change or influence at all? I'm not hating, i just find it extremely silly that you're calling it one of the most influential games ever....

StarFox_Mulder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Halo 2. I loved playing as the Arbiter and fist pumped the universe when Master Sheath him said "Let's furnish the pipe!" but later I heard some grizzling (do Jeff's hillbilly voice) "I bawt that game tah play as Master Chief, nawt some damg space squirrel!" or something like that. That game tried to offer some maturity of story and show war has many faces but Joe Monkeywrench was too stupid to understand anything where he wasn't pulling a trigger.

Ryagan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I didn't know that the GameCube in general was so widely disliked until the Internet. I freaking love my GameCube and still use it.

valitiney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Drakengard, from what I have seen, most people do not like this game, probably due to the repetitive feel similar to Dwarriors. I for one, loved the crap outta Drakengard 1, not so much 2, wish I had the chance to play 3

Avatar image for deactivated-5f90eabee6bba
deactivated-5f90eabee6bba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Black and White. I was only about 11 or so when it came out and wasn't following any video game news. Apparently it didn't deliver on what it promised. What it promised, to this day, I don't know and I don't care.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

@counterclockwork87 said:

MGS 2. Didn't realize people were turned off by the "Switcheroo" until the internet...last I checked it won nearly every "Game of the Year" award and got universal praise when it came out. It's still an amazing game, and one of the PS2's crowning achievements.

Donkey Kong Country. Are some people living in an alternate universe where this game wasn't the biggest thing ever? It was never as good as Mario, but it was still the best pure platformer on the snes not named Mario. People at Giant Bomb, etc act like this game wasn't a big deal, but geez this game was all anyone talked about when it came out. The graphics were also mindblowing at the time, I couldn't believe a game looked like that on Super Nintendo.

Goldeneye 64. Probably the best first-person shooter ever when it came out. It pioneered split-screen deathmatch on the television. Maybe the most influential game ever after Tetris, Pac-man, and Mario; especially when you consider what Call of Duty is today. Enough BS with that it doesn't hold up as well, because I find it holds up exceptionally well...the only difference is the control scheme which I think is really a brilliant, alternate way to control a FPS.The C button strafe system is so elegent, you can move in a buttery smooth way that's just not possible on today's console FPSs with the dual joystick setup. Before Goldeneye every FPS was called a "doom clone". C'mon now internet, it's a genius game, it changed a genre.

Wait, how did golden eye change the fps genre at all? I played it alot on my n64 back int he day too, but it didnt change or influence shit. Other than perfect dark, no other shooter is remotely like it (because it controlled like garbage). What exactly did it change or influence at all? I'm not hating, i just find it extremely silly that you're calling it one of the most influential games ever....

Agreed. It was one of the best shooters at the time it was released. That's for sure. But it didn't have influence on other console FPS games much. It's Halo that popularized console shooters and it wasn't based off the Goldeneye blueprint.

Goldeneye was a good game at the time, but it wasn't influential.

codenamelenny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I had no idea that Call of Duty and first-person shooters and general were considered "a problem" until the internet bandwagon started up around 2011-2012.

That attitude didn't really exist in any significant way when the site was new, I'll say that much.

I remember people complaining for awhile after halo then Modern Warfare came out with iron sights and people stopped complaining for about year.

In general you will find hate for any game, most of the games I see people posting I don't think the general consensus was negative.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

The only game no one has a negative opinion of is Kirby Super Star.

dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

The Legend of Dragoon. I love that game to death!

Corvak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@corruptedevil: Hating kirby super star is like kicking a puppy. It just isn't done.

Trumpet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@winsord said:

I also remember renting Gex: Enter the Gecko and Glover multiple times.

I feel like I've heard more praise for Gex than negativity. Glover though... I didn't realize how people felt about that game until I saw it on the AGDQ schedule, got hyped up, and realized it was in the Awful Games block :(

The Bouncer is the game for me. I loved that game, bunch of my friends played it too and we played vs mode and 3v3 with each other tons (PD-4 top tier). It's the game that made me want a ps2 when I played it at someone else's house. Apparently we were the only ones, everyone I've talked to about that game with in the last few years thinks I'm joking about liking it.

matiaz_tapia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Devil May Cry 2. I missed the first one, so when it came out for PS2 I went ahead and bought it. I liked it... Later I find that most people remembered it as a pile of shit that people should never, ever mention again. Tho the reviews painted it as an "OK" game.

Not the same, but some games I absolutely loved that I later found nobody knew or cared about where Demon's Crest( NES) and Azure Dreams ( PS1)

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kingdom Hearts. I guess if you're a certain age it just looked like something you'd hate. I love those games.

tariqari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Far Cry 2. SO what if the outposts respawn all the time? You'd rather the game be empty vast amounts of wilderness? On a side note, I hated Far Cry 3 because I thought it was too linear, the story sucked, the AI was inferior compared to FC2, the graphics were inferior compared to FC2, and it felt like there were less options all around when it came to dealing with enemies. Pretty much every option in FC3 made you lean toward "just blow everything up because it's faster," whereas in FC2, if you tried that you would be in for a world of hurt. You actually had to think very tactically in FC2 if you wanted to succeed.

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I honestly can't think of any games I like where I'm surprised someone else thinks its shit. My guilty pleasure game was Bloodrayne. I knew it wasn't great, but for some reason, I played the crap out of it when I was around 18. I can't imagine why...

But even 18 year old me knew that the game was shit.

I've heard people don't like Contra 3 on the SNES.

DeathTrap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By DeathTrap
Avatar image for deactivated-5e5bc497650e6
deactivated-5e5bc497650e6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kingdom Hearts. I was a teenager when that came out so naturally didn't give it the time of day. Since then I played and enjoyed it.

frymillstrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't if hate is the right word but a lot of people say MK: Double Dash! is a bad game. I think it is by far the best MK.

Super Mario Bros. 2 for obvious reasons related to Doki Doki Panic but I really liked this game as a kid.

Mission Impossible on N64/PS1 - I have a huge amount of nostalgia for that game.

On the opposite end of that I thought Zone of The Enders on PS2 was pure hot garbage but the internet and people in general seem to revere that game.

AlecOfTheWest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

GTA IV: me and all my friends played the fuck out of that game, and pretty much considered it a blast. Internet seems to consider it bowling simulator, though.

Avatar image for counterclockwork87
Counterclockwork87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zevvion said:

@clonedzero said:

@counterclockwork87 said:

Agreed. It was one of the best shooters at the time it was released. That's for sure. But it didn't have influence on other console FPS games much. It's Halo that popularized console shooters and it wasn't based off the Goldeneye blueprint.

Goldeneye was a good game at the time, but it wasn't influential.

Couldn't disagree more. You could also look up the numerous publications that say otherwise including EGM who ranked Goldeneye over Halo in their list of most important games ever. 1up, Gamepro, gamesradar, ign, all have featured it in most influential games ever polls. I think you're seriously forgetting what consoles were like back then. There wasn't anything close to Goldeneye. Nowadays we're used to FPS dominating home consoles but then they barely existed, Goldeneye proved you could do it successfully...you realize Halo only started development a year after goldeneye came out right? It's move to console was directly the result of a game like goldeneye and eventually perfect dark....otherwise it would've stayed a pc/ Mac game.

Jorbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What I've learned from this thread: Everybody thinks the internet hates every game.

I mean, seriously? I've never seen any hate for GTA4, Ocarina of Time, or Kingdom Hearts. Did you guys read one bad review and assume the entire internet thinks that way?

Goldone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@viciousanchovy said:

The Sonic Adventure games.

This would have to be my answer too. It was quite shocking to say the least especially when you take into account how they gave us some of the best music to ever be in any video game ever.

Loading Video...

HOW COULD ANYONE NOT LOVE THIS?

I mean it's good but it's no Tails theme. The first Sonic Adventure was awesome with every character having their own theme, it's perfect.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@counterclockwork87: Are you really citing those complete bullshit and arbitrary top 100 lists?