Games you have to set aside time for full effect

redcream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By redcream

There are just some games which will not have the same impact if played intermittently. My personal favorite time sinks are most CRPGs from BioWare and Bethesda Softworks. I can't imagine playing these games for short bursts and I wouldn't want to. So guys what games do you have to just plan ahead of time before playing?

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Doctorchimp

I think the last game I really did this for was Dark Souls, which kind of was a disappointment. Now all games get the same treatment.

A quick 20 or 30 minutes right before I go to class or work or just pass out due to exhaustion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I've had Yakuza 4, Yakuza: Dead Souls and Valkyrie Chronicles on my shelf for awhile cause they seem like games I'm gonna have to heavily invest myself in. I also ordered Disgaea 4 off Play-Asia cause it was on sale, but it'll probably ages until I get around to playing it for the same reason.

The fact that I use my PS3 a lot less than my 360 also factors into this too though.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#4  Edited By TobbRobb

I like sinking into most games, which just makes me play less games. :/

xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By xaLieNxGrEyx

Silent Hill 2 and Killer 7 should always be played in one sitting.

impartialgecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By impartialgecko

I set aside a good 2 and a half hours for Journey. Other than that not really. Sometimes I play games in the morning or evening specifically, I used to find my best scores at GW:RE2 came at around 11pm.

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By hermes

Bethesda games are a good example of games I can't play for short amounts of time.

Since I don't often have much time, I don't play much of those kind of games, except on weekends.

imhungry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By imhungry

I'm basically at the point where I don't play games unless I intend to do so for a good length of time. Exept for Starcraft 2, there's always time for a quick match there.

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 26

#9  Edited By audioBusting

I finish all Telltale's Sam & Max and The Walking Dead episodes in one sitting each. I try finishing RPG & adventure games in long sittings in general so that I don't forget the story (I have terrible memory).

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By bigsocrates

I disagree on Bioware games. I think playing for 45-90 minutes a night can make it feel like a good TV series and avoid some of the burnout I get from playing the games for long stretches of playing Mass Effect. Go to planet, doing some mining on the way. Shoot way through corridor-like mission, get story nugget, repeat.

Open world games (including Bethesda games), on the other hand, I tend to like to lose myself in. I don't want to be like "Oh I can't run off and do that because I only have an hour to play and I want to finish this mission." If I want to hijack a bunch of helicopters and go after the hive achievement in Prototype then goddamnit that's what I'm gonna do! Or play a bunch of that Saints Row minigame where you rack up doctor bills by getting hit by cars. I like to visit open world games and really feel like I'm playing as the character, and you can't do that in short bites.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By 49th  Online

Don't like playing games for more than 3 hours. I get bored and stop enjoying myself.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12  Edited By EuanDewar

No video game ever

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By zombie2011

I can't play games for more then an hour without getting bored.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

I set aside large chunks of time for Skyrim. Other than that I made sure I had 2 hour periods to play Walking Dead Episodes.

Avatar image for siroptimusprime
SirOptimusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By SirOptimusPrime

The way I play games makes everything a massive time sink. I clear away an afternoon and just blitz the game for four or five hours then might step away for a few days, rinse and repeat. When I buy games on holidays/weekends it's a nightmare, since I'll regularly put twenty hours in a three day span - I did that with The Witcher 2 (again) and Dead Island recently. Waiting for my Sleepy Dawgz dl to finish and I'll probably chew through that far too quickly.

When I'm doing important things though, I actually like the old school CRPG's for that more than any other game - do a quick encounter or two in IWD or ToEE and save and move on until I have a few minutes to spare. I imagine XCOM will be the same way for me.

nick_verissimo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#16  Edited By nick_verissimo

The Walking Dead is probably the only thing in recent memory that I've conscientiously set time aside to play through. Those episodes really need to be experienced all at once.