Gamespot Best of 2009

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#1  Edited By Jeust

If you want to see their picks for the various categories, of best and worse of 2009 

(To see their presentation of each category click on the colourful titles on the calendar.) 

About their choices i'm disappointed they didn't choose shadow complex in the category of best downloadable game. 

And what's the point of  "Character most likely to fail a performance enhancing drug test"?! 

I'm fully aware that these aren't the gamespot forums, and i just wanted to discuss the list with you guys.
Aljosa15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Aljosa15

Gamespot lost all credibility with me when they gave MGS4 Best Technical Graphics over Crysis Warhead last year.

fallen_elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By fallen_elite
Am I missing something? It looks like it's just users votes that count. I don't see any editors awarding any games.
FartyMcNarly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By FartyMcNarly
@Jeust said:  what's the point of  "Character most likely to fail a performance enhancing drug test"?!

So stoners can go "haha, that dude does drugs. I'm going to pack a bowl" 

I think that way too many sites have best of whatever lists. I would rather read in depth why each person picked important games of the year. Not best game of the year, or even best for a category, but important in some fashion towards the evolution of games, games as an art or mainstream entertainment source. Ryan, Brad, Jeff and Vinny would all have completely different games and reasons for picking those games as important for which ever reason they decide is important.
Mysterysheep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Mysterysheep

The nominees seem really pathetic. It doesn't look like a lot of thought went into these lists.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#6  Edited By Video_Game_King

G Force was considered good!? DEVIL SURVIVOR IS NOMINATED FOR BEST SOMETHING!?!? * goes into Trance mode* Something needs to die! *flies off, ready to kill something*

nanikore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By nanikore

Since Modern Warfare 2 isn't nominated for game of the year, my guess is that Uncharted 2 will win.

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#8  Edited By MildMolasses
@Aljosa15 said:

"Gamespot lost all credibility with me when they gave MGS4 Best Technical Graphics over Crysis Warhead last year. "

You're at Giant Bomb, and your criticism of Gamespot is over a graphical award? Nothing else in their history has tainted their credibility? 

Anyway, I just couldn't believe that they didn't have Shadow Complex on their best original downloadable game list
conker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By conker

Agreed about Shadow Complex, and also agreed about MGS4. 

And Ninja Quick Time Events was nominated like 5 times? What the hell?
KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#11  Edited By KamasamaK
@fallen_elite said:
" Am I missing something? It looks like it's just users votes that count. I don't see any editors awarding any games. "
Yes, you missed the calendar on the linked page that shows when the winners will be revealed. These are just the nominees, which you can start voting for now if you care to affect the Readers' Choice winners.
twillfast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By twillfast
@FartyMcNarly said:

" @Jeust said:  what's the point of  "Character most likely to fail a performance enhancing drug test"?! So stoners can go "haha, that dude does drugs. I'm going to pack a bowl"  I think that way too many sites have best of whatever lists. I would rather read in depth why each person picked important games of the year. Not best game of the year, or even best for a category, but important in some fashion towards the evolution of games, games as an art or mainstream entertainment source. Ryan, Brad, Jeff and Vinny would all have completely different games and reasons for picking those games as important for which ever reason they decide is important. "

This is kind of what I feel aswell. I think giantbomb's Game of the Year-edition bombcast last year was really great, then ended up very flat.
I don't really see the point of a bunch of people deciding what was their acumulative game of the year is, when they could just discuss the greatest games of the year.

It's almost as if you can hear them discussing...
"Okay, now we've talked about what games were great and what they did to the games industry. Now we need to say that one was greater than the others."
growl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By growl
@Jeust:  I dont mean to be oppressive, but why are you mentioning this here? 
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By iam3green

those list are kind of bad. i think there are better games then that on the list. this is giantbomb we are better then gamespot :)  

i was also dissapointed when they gave metal gear solid 4 best graphics when crysis warhead should have won.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By AndrewB
@Aljosa15 said:
" Gamespot lost all credibility with me when they gave MGS4 Best Technical Graphics over Crysis Warhead last year. "
Wow, if were Crytek, I'd be pissed off. There's no doubt that their engine is the best at pushing out the graphics, even today.
hinderk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#16  Edited By hinderk

I agree with most of the nominations.

I'm also glad to see Ratchet and Clank: A Crack in Time and Demon's are GOTY contenders on someone's list.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

#17  Edited By turboman

Anyone else super confused that Marvel: Ultimate Alliance 2 is nominated for Best use of a creative license AND worst use of a creative license?

crystalskull2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By crystalskull2

They have nominated Velvet Assasin and 50 cent!I thought Velvet Assasin is a shit game.Although good to see Cryostasis getting some recognition.

damnboyadvance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By damnboyadvance
@Jeust said:
" And what's the point of  "Character most likely to fail a performance enhancing drug test" "
I think that it's their lame attempt at humor this year.
c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By c1337us

The fact that they have a category for making it past Aussie censors makes me want to tear someones testicles out through their mouth. Aargh.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#21  Edited By Hailinel
@Video_Game_King said:
" G Force was considered good!? DEVIL SURVIVOR IS NOMINATED FOR BEST SOMETHING!?!? * goes into Trance mode* Something needs to die! *flies off, ready to kill something* "
Give it up, man.  You're the only one on the planet that feels Devil Survivor was so flawed. :P
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Video_Game_King
@Hailinel said:
" @Video_Game_King said:
" G Force was considered good!? DEVIL SURVIVOR IS NOMINATED FOR BEST SOMETHING!?!? * goes into Trance mode* Something needs to die! *flies off, ready to kill something* "
Give it up, man.  You're the only one on the planet that feels Devil Survivor was so flawed. :P "
But I am King, so my word is law. Besides, the game freezes regularly and there was an entire line of dialogue left untranslated. I haven't encountered either of those in most fan translations, so I should expect at least that from a commercial product. They have every reason in the world to be able to do those.
Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#23  Edited By Hailinel
@Video_Game_King said:
" @Hailinel said:
" @Video_Game_King said:
Give it up, man.  You're the only one on the planet that feels Devil Survivor was so flawed. :P "
But I am King, so my word is law. Besides, the game freezes regularly and there was an entire line of dialogue left untranslated. I haven't encountered either of those in most fan translations, so I should expect at least that from a commercial product. They have every reason in the world to be able to do those. "
And I have yet to have the game freeze on me.  Are you certain you didn't just get a defective copy?
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Video_Game_King
@Hailinel:  

No, I looked it up. I went to Google, looking for a guide (the "why" should be very obvious) and stumbled across some forum posts. They were asking why their game was freezing, and they thought it was because they got a bad ROM of the game. Somebody came along and said, "Nope, even legitimate copies of the game freeze. There's nothing you can do about it."

Lucky me. This isn't the one I remember, but it's better.
Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#25  Edited By Jeust
@growl said:

" @Jeust:  I dont mean to be oppressive, but why are you mentioning this here?  "

why not here?

gamespot is a source of distraction like any other.

This sentiment of war towards gamespot is useless. They are just another gaming website on the net.

@TurboMan

said:

" Anyone else super confused that Marvel: Ultimate Alliance 2 is nominated for Best use of a creative license AND worst use of a creative license? "

They probably nominated some games because they needed more contenders to each category. This was probably one of those cases.
MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By MildMolasses
@TurboMan said:
"Anyone else super confused that Marvel: Ultimate Alliance 2 is nominated for Best use of a creative license AND worst use of a creative license? "

Is it possible that it's the Wii version that's nominated in the worst category? If I remember correctly, that was not a very well liked version
shulinchung

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By shulinchung
I think their list is not perfect, but it's the best so far compare to other media...... 

@Aljosa15
said:

"Gamespot lost all credibility with me when they gave MGS4 Best Technical Graphics over Crysis Warhead last year. "

I bought a PS3, played MGS4, upgraded my PC, played Crysis Maximum Edition, and learned a bit of the CryEngine2 Toolset just about 2 months ago. Although the graphics of Crysis totally blow any games(on console and PC) out of the water. I agree with Gamespot choosing MGS4 for the best technical graphics completely. Crysis Warhead relies mostly upon the graphical technology of Crysis, and does very little to improve and/or push the technology forward. Crysis had already won the best technical graphics award for its released year. As for MGS4, It's just amazing how the developer utilized the limited resources of PS3 hardware, and delivered graphical fidelities that no other games on the console before it can match.
shulinchung

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By shulinchung
@MildMolasses said:
"@TurboMan said:
"Anyone else super confused that Marvel: Ultimate Alliance 2 is nominated for Best use of a creative license AND worst use of a creative license? "
Is it possible that it's the Wii version that's nominated in the worst category? If I remember correctly, that was not a very well liked version "

Or maybe because it's a controversial game? It is a good licensed game considering that it gains positive reviews and how bad the licensed games usually are. However, it is also widely considered to be an inferior game compared to the first MUA.
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#29  Edited By penguindust

I liked the Dubious Honors video.  Frankly, I forgot about some of that stuff.

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By MildMolasses
@shulinchung said:
"@MildMolasses said:
"@TurboMan said:
Is it possible that it's the Wii version that's nominated in the worst category? If I remember correctly, that was not a very well liked version "
Or maybe because it's a controversial game? It is a good licensed game considering that it gains positive reviews and how bad the licensed games usually are. However, it is also widely considered to be an inferior game compared to the first MUA. "

I just went to check, and in the "worst" section, it is the Wii cover they are using. In the "best use" section, they use the PS3 cover, so I assume it is actually the Wii version they are picking on, and not a case of using multiple perspectives on the same game
Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#31  Edited By Red

These awards look like they're missing some pretty obvious inclusions all around.  
I mean, they nominated The Sims 3 over Modern Warfare 2.