• 66 results
#1 Edited by Blu3V3nom07 (4207 posts) -

Over the last few months, our community team has been dropping hints (or, I guess, just saying outright) that we were working on a brand new GameSpot site. Well, the time has come to finally let the cat out of the box that we didn't really put him in so please don't call the SPCA on us or anything, and begin to let you know about some of the changes that we're making.

A Whole New World

To put things delicately, GameSpot as you know it is getting up there in the years. Sure, we've thrown a fresh coat of paint on it a few times, but inside, it's very much the same it was 15 years ago. Internally, we even use the same content management system that we've had since the beginning, which means that it can often take us longer to publish a story than it takes us to write it. Think about that for a moment. Let it stew. Pretty dumb, right?

So, like Andrew Ryan, we chose to do the impossible and build a brand new GameSpot from scratch. We've spent a lot of time in the last year planning, designing, and working on this, and it's time to start talking about it. ..

To that end, we're announcing a beta testing program for the new GameSpot. Beta participants will be the first to see what we're working on and be able to provide direct feedback that we will use to help improve our work in the future. This select group will also receive early access to the new site when we launch it in the coming weeks. ..

Since we're starting from scratch, we have had to make some tough calls as to what features and functionality we're going to carry over, and while I'd love to tell you that ALL OF THE THINGS have made the cut, I just can't do it.

GameSpot: In which we announce some pretty big changes

Out of all the feature stuff, the forums and the articles are what I'm most interested in. And the interface. Do any of you still use GameSpot? Thoughts?

Updated: GameSpot Fireside Chat: Big Changes, New Home Page, Reviews

#2 Edited by Rabbykayn (225 posts) -

I have never used GameSpot. I'm only saying that because you asked. I wish them well and hopefully all the old ridiculous articles often referenced by the Bomb crew aren't killed off. It's funny when they look back on things.

#3 Posted by Yummylee (21615 posts) -

I frequent Gamespot often enough for reviews, news, and the occasional recurring feature such as Feedbackula and whatever else the GSUK folks are up to. I steer well clear of the forums, though. I would say I'm marginally curious to see what this new Gamespot will look like.

#4 Edited by churrific (479 posts) -

@yummylee said:

I frequent Gamespot often enough for reviews, news, and the occasional recurring feature such as Feedbackula and whatever else the GSUK folks are up to. I steer well clear of the forums, though. I would say I'm marginally curious to see what this new Gamespot will look like.

Ditto. Actually, Spookin with Scoops led me to their House of Horrors show, which I kind of prefer just cause they're actually funny sometimes. Really, I'm just morbidly curious about how a major redesign for any major site looks like.

#5 Edited by Hailinel (24694 posts) -

This is welcome news, even though I don't visit Gamespot anymore. When I stopped back during the Gerstmanngate Exodus, it was evident that the site was a bloated pile of spaghetti code.

#6 Edited by DystopiaX (5310 posts) -

I thought you meant Gamestop at first, cause I often get the two confused.

Personally I'd find a Gamestop business policy revamp more exciting, but this is cool too I guess.

#7 Edited by believer258 (11895 posts) -

I'm going to laugh if this winds up looking similar to Giantbomb.

That's not to say that it won't be a welcome change. Gamespot right now is pretty messy, which is part of the reason why I don't often visit. It will just be a funny one.

#8 Posted by mosespippy (4165 posts) -

When CBS acquired Giant Bomb I tried to use the gamespot forums again. Holy shit is it an ugly forum to use. Huge sigs and animated gifs everywhere. If the forums get streamlined I might visit it again from time to time.

#9 Posted by MachoFantastico (4682 posts) -

Smart move. I have actually started frequenting Gamespot again since GB was bought and to be fair, they actually do some solid content, especially the UK offices (Danny O'Dwyer in particle). But the site feels real dated in some areas. It's super weird to see how many areas of the site haven't changed since it was my sole gaming site back when Jeff, Ryan and the crew were the main faces of GS. You can give it all the paints of coat you want, eventually it needs changing so positive news in my book.

#10 Posted by erhard (403 posts) -

It will probably still end up being a faceless website with ten different weekly gaming "shows" titled Press Start or something equally generic plastering its front page.

#11 Edited by TooWalrus (13195 posts) -

I'm going to laugh if this winds up looking similar to Giantbomb.

That's not to say that it won't be a welcome change. Gamespot right now is pretty messy, which is part of the reason why I don't often visit. It will just be a funny one.

Hopefully it ends up with a phat Giantbomb logo on the site footer, similar to what happened with that other site redesign.

#12 Posted by jimmyfenix (3854 posts) -

Does this mean Gamespot is dying ? :/

#13 Posted by ShaggE (6451 posts) -

I only use GameSpot for obscure reviews from the 90s. I do hope they keep all of that stuff. I can't imagine that they'd get rid of them, but you never know. There's the Wayback Machine, but I've always liked that their early reviews are still live.

Either way, it's a good thing. That site has been a mess for years.

#14 Edited by probablytuna (3654 posts) -

Can't remember the last time I went on GameSpot.

#15 Posted by Veektarius (4813 posts) -

My problem with Gamepot isn't the design, my problem is that it isn't targeted toward my demographic. I doubt they're fixing that.

#16 Posted by Crysack (316 posts) -

To be honest, I find Gamespot pretty dry in general and I don't find any of the personalities particularly entertaining these days.

#17 Edited by billymagnum (824 posts) -

i sort of left gamespot when everyone important did. you know who im talking about. I loved On the Spot and it was my go to site for reviews usually. But as soon as the the gang started jumping ship, i had no reason to stay. i could get reviews and walkthroughs from anywhere, what made it different was the people. after what went down went down, there was a really sketchy vibe coming from that site that really drove me away.

i thank jeebus that this site exists and it was a direct outcome of the fall of Gamespot at its peak.

edit: to be fair i had started popping back in for Secret Code, but it never went anywhere.

#18 Edited by MetalGearSunny (6991 posts) -

Never really use GameSpot, but good on them. That's not to say that they don't have some talented people over there.

#19 Posted by GrantHeaslip (1591 posts) -

Am I misremembering this, or wasn't it said that the Giant Bomb rewrite would end up sharing a lot with the eventual GameSpot rewrite? Not necessarily in terms of shared content or users (though given the way you can log into a lot of CBSi properties with the same account, don't be too surprised), but in terms of the core code powering both sites.

#20 Posted by cloudnineboya (815 posts) -

Hopeful they do a better job than this site did, Think dave knew something fucked up and did a runner.

#21 Edited by Zacagawea (1593 posts) -

Whatever you guys do, don't read the comments on that page. It must be so demoralizing and unfulfilling to work for a site with a community of people like that. People are stupid.

#22 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4351 posts) -

I stopped using it regularly when Jeff left, now I only occasionally go on when I want to see more than one review opinion.

#23 Posted by subyman (614 posts) -

I used gamespot before giantbomb started, I was a moderator there until I went to graduate school. Being so busy in graduate school, Giantbomb was my only source for a while. I used to like listening to the Hotspot before they canceled it. I think they have a new podcast now, but the site is too damn hard to navigate.

I'm interested to see what they have in store. Giantbomb is awesome for the crew, but to get industry news I still go to Gamespot since they run stories/news that the crew doesn't bother with. The community at Gamespot is much younger than Giantbomb, so the forums and comments are bottom of the barrel.

#24 Posted by subyman (614 posts) -

Had some time to read through the changes and they sound good. Getting rid of downloads is a no brainer, I'm surprised those are still around. Unions were always a little strange and some even caused controversy. Having users being able to create their own exclusive forums was a neat idea long ago, but it segments the user base. Especially if it is a colossal undertaking to keep it.

Limiting sigs is a good first step, I think they should be eliminated entirely. User levels and such are good to have, but their system was a little complicated especially now. The emblems had to be hand made and were a major labor issue if something went wrong (some people didn't get E3 emblems, so they had to go through the database by hand and match dates.) They are working with an antiquated system, so I'm sure this change is praised by the staff.

It's amazing how on-point the Giantbomb crew has been with industry-setting standards in both content creation and web design.

#25 Posted by Dixavd (1358 posts) -

Sounds pretty cool. Maybe they will finally make it easy for me to recommend specific things. I'm sick of telling friends "The GameSpot GamePlay Podcast is pretty great" and them replying "I can't even find what you're talking about"...

#26 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11718 posts) -

I go to Gamespot occasionally to look at anything that Danny 'O Dwyer is doing, and maybe a handful of reviews here and there. They could desperately use the redesign though. Getting rid of all of that bloated design, some of which stretches back to 1996, would probably make that website significantly easier to navigate. Still not going to use the forums. A veritable cesspool if ever there was one.

#27 Posted by Seppli (10251 posts) -

I enjoy Gamespot's youtube presence. Don't use the site though. GiantBomb has me covered. With all its Web 2.0 glory!

#28 Posted by SomberOwl (668 posts) -

I've been going to GameSpot for a very long time. It's the first gaming website I continually visited. It is also home to some of my Favourite game reviewers such as Kevin VanOrd, among others. And is the site I primarily use for reviews. They also put out a lot of great content. Especially Danny O'Dwyer. Also great game of the year stuff and E3/other conventions coverage. I could go on why I like GameSpot, but yeah you get why I think it's one of the best gaming related sites.

This news actually really excites me because I always thought their user interface was lousy. I hope everything gets simplified and cleaned up. I can't wait to see the new site!

#29 Edited by Flacracker (1674 posts) -

When CBS acquired Giant Bomb I tried to use the gamespot forums again. Holy shit is it an ugly forum to use. Huge sigs and animated gifs everywhere. If the forums get streamlined I might visit it again from time to time.

That is waht is happening. They are limiting sigs to 125 pixels and no gifs are allowed. Everyone over there is a fucking mess because they feel like it will destroy the community or some bullshit. They all want their boob jiggle sigs. And a mod over there did say that the new forums are going to be like the current Giant Bomb forums. They all raged about that too and say the the GB forums suck... I quite like them I guess.

#30 Posted by kishinfoulux (2301 posts) -

Seemed pretty obvious for a while. Dying might be extreme, but they used to be the biggest site around or at worst one of the big two. Now they just seem...there. The Jeff scandal really destroyed their rep. It also doesn't help that they seem to employ people completely devoid of personality, or some that are just downright unlikable. They seem like their behind the times and need to catch up badly. The website is a huge mess and they seem to have too many hands in too many baskets.

#31 Posted by falserelic (5436 posts) -

Nowadays probably...

#32 Edited by OurSin_360 (881 posts) -

I still go there for news (giantbomb is pretty sparse tbh), and feedbackula is pretty good where they poke fun at all the sites trolls (about 90% of the user base). I find my opinion differs way to much from the reviewers there these days though, but i like how Tom McShea trolls the shit out of everybody tbh.

The forums and comment sections suck ass though, and def need an overhaul, but besides that the site looks alright.

#33 Posted by jimmy_p (278 posts) -

Do people still trust gamespot? To me it falls into the same hole as IGN, both have questionable review systems and obvious ad money bias

#34 Posted by OurSin_360 (881 posts) -

@jimmy_p said:

Do people still trust gamespot? To me it falls into the same hole as IGN, both have questionable review systems and obvious ad money bias

Ign? No.

But gamespot seems to give games on average a lower score than everywhere else. This started after Jeff was fired actually, I highly doubt game companies are paying for lower scores lol.

#35 Posted by Animasta (14691 posts) -

@jimmy_p said:

if it were that questionable they wouldn't have given GOTY to journey or demon's souls

#36 Posted by Winsord (1225 posts) -

It sounds nice to me, I hope it's similar to how they ended up redesigning GameFAQs a while back. Their current site design does feel very dated, especially the forums, but if the site's nice enough to use I might start to watch some of their video content (I liked the people over there well enough on Professional Wednesdays videos). Admittedly I am finding it kind of funny how mad people are that they're losing their giant animated signatures, I kind of forgot that those were even a thing. Hoping the new design is more akin to Giant Bomb than Polygon though, webdesign is in kind of a weird spot right now it seems.

#37 Edited by Mister_V (1282 posts) -

Alexis just posted this on twitter. Looks familiar

#38 Posted by JBG4 (414 posts) -
#39 Posted by TheHBK (5482 posts) -

Haven't used Gamespot since the Giant Bomb site launched proper. I was expecting this to be about how Gamespot got run out of business by GB. That Disney Infinity preview shows you why that will happen.

#40 Posted by Shivoa (625 posts) -

Some of their audio/video content is something I tune in for, hopefully the new site being a GB reskin will mean it is easier to navigate to the good stuff and make for some more readable articles.

Also: Quests are coming. They announced the plans for a system like quests on GB to be added to new GameSpot so the new GB site will at least get the back-end ability to add back a quest system.

#41 Edited by LiquidPrince (15942 posts) -

I stopped using Gamespot in like 2008 or 07 when Jeff left. I rarely visit so I can't really tell what I would like to carry over.

#42 Posted by Abendlaender (2803 posts) -

I will continue to accept the existance of Gamespot as a website on the internet, but not much more.

#43 Edited by Wrighteous86 (3782 posts) -

@mister_v said:

This is how it all starts.

So this is how liberty dies... with thunderous applause.

This is the way the world ends

Not with a bang but a whimper.

First they came for the designs,

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a designer.

Then they came for the users,

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a user.

Then they came for the wiki,

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a wiki.

Then they came for me,

and there was no one left to speak for me.

#44 Posted by Haziqonfire (227 posts) -

@mister_v: It does! Though it looks slightly different. They just showed off the reviews page on the Hangouts Session.

#45 Posted by fisk0 (4097 posts) -

I have never used GameSpot. I'm only saying that because you asked. I wish them well and hopefully all the old ridiculous articles often referenced by the Bomb crew aren't killed off. It's funny when they look back on things.

Yeah, I really hope they keep that stuff. I'm far more interested in digging up articles or reviews from 1998 than in actual, new, video game news, and a lot of the old stuff has started to disappear off the Internet (though I love the csoon.com, which hasn't been updated since July 2000, and whose front page story is still a 4 part report from E3 1997, is still around).

#46 Edited by Nonused (214 posts) -

"...cat out of the box"?

It's bag.

It's bag, right?

#47 Posted by Viking_Funeral (1784 posts) -

@mister_v said:

Huh. Well, you can't fault someone for copying a good design. Though who knows if these were developed in concordance, as they were both developed by the same time by a lot of the same people.

Still no desire to go back. I'm not being vindictive; I just don't care.

#48 Posted by Nightriff (5074 posts) -

All change is good, I just don't care about Gamestop

#49 Posted by Twisted (202 posts) -

That's interesting. I still use Gamespot for news and occasionally reviews (though I find that GB quick looks are enough for me and don't even care much about reviews anymore) and I use their forums. To be honest I don't see the problem that people here have with their forums. I find them to be generally quite good. Particularly the AU section which has a nice little community. Plus I find it easier to use than the forums here. Mainly because it keeps track of threads I've read and how many new posts there are in that thread etc. It works better than many other forums I use. I also don't think they're really that messy, though sigs can be a little much sometimes. But that's my opinion anyway.

It's still nice they are revamping the site as you can often tell that it's still running on the same basic architecture it has been running on for years now. A redesign could make it much easier to navigate to certain parts of the site and would be very welcome. The idea of them getting rid of unions doesn't affect me, though I don't doubt some people will be unhappy about it. Levelling and emblems being gone doesn't worry me. I haven't cared about emblems in years and I don't really care about my level either. It's a little weird to see that it's going though.

Also GB has a very nice design, so if GS is changing to a similar one, that's even better.

#50 Posted by Godzilla_Sushi (1084 posts) -

Haven't been back since they fired Jeff. My last post as I recall was "I'm never coming back because you fired Jeff." GB is my nice little niche now.