Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

@smcn said:

@video_game_king said:

anybody got any ideas on how to make writing about video games financially viable?

It would probably require every person who ever visits a video game website to disable ad-block.

In other words, we're fucked.

Or a subscription model for quality writing. In other words: super fucked.

Zlimness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

What the hell, Justin Calvert and Ryan MacDonald?! Wow, that's very surprising. I wish these guys good luck. They should totally get together and start their own site. Damn.

TrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#153  Edited By TrafalgarLaw

@cloudymusic said:

@trafalgarlaw said:

Tom was a person who dared to question why we kill so many arabs in FPS's and whether FPS's nowadays paint a too rosy picture of war and armed conflict. He wrote several, pretty thought-out articles about what videogames were trying to convey and propagate. Whether or not we should berate the millionth war simulator in which the americans are always the heroes and the arabs or russians are inherently evil. The comments he got were pretty toxic and juvenile. Another thing McShea was famous for, was rating critically acclaimed games with a 7.5/10. He got constant shit for his reviews, both in his reviewspage and the forums and beyond that.

Carolyn wrote articles about misogyny in videogames and whether this is a development we should actively dismiss. Again, an author who goes further than "You shot that guys face off with a rocket launcher! Awesomesauce!". But it was met with a lot of transgender insults. The same goes for her GTA5 review, a few lines about misogyny in GTA5 incited in entire flame wars that went on for weeks. The editorial team and the admins had to step in to stop the abuse.

The lay-off of these two people are quite shitty. This reaffirms that the videogame industry does not want dissent voices as reviewers. Everything has to be the same regurgitated crap of oozing praise without posing any question of its contents. Mind you, this very site is property of CBSi and these layoffs have proved once again critical thinking is not wanted at all.

I agree that their articles were sorely needed in this industry, but let's not assume that the two things are connected. These appear to be largely budgetary/strategic layoffs, and there's no evidence so far that CBSi is "removing dissenting voices."

I don't know about you, but laying off of Tom seems very, very strange. Not only is that guy a regular on The Lobby each week, he also joins in a lot of video-related content and podcasts. He was like part of the core of the GameSpot team, doing A LOT of reviews. If you strategically lay off people, you don't lay off you core people like Ryan McDonald or Tom McShea. I could argue whether Carolyn was part of the core, but she definetly was a veteran at GameSpot.

Peleus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is awful, but I saw a couple days ago that they used the GB quick look to cover Blue Estate instead of doing there own thing. I don't know if this was common.

Noting counting when GS had the hear is what on GB area

Gamespot has been linking GB quicklooks on the main page for a while now.

Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@trafalgarlaw: Wait, are you talking about Tom McShea or Peter Brown?

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156  Edited By EXTomar

We often hear that on the Bombcast multiple people are playing the same game anyway and are willing to discuss it. VGK is onto something that a 5-10 minute series with a tightly controlled topic and agenda on a specific game would be stellar if they got the Siskel and Ebert of personality of video games to do it. Throw those two into a video set and lets get rolling!

excast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope this doesn't leach over into Giant Bomb, but a part of me thinks a merger or something might be happening in the near future. I'm just not sure how else the justify hiring 2 people for Giant Bomb a month before they axe 10 people at Gamespot, many of whom are long time fixtures of the site. It's the same office.

smcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158  Edited By smcn
@excast said:

I realize Giantbomb is small and all, but it is super weird that they were given funding to higher two people exactly a month before that many people in the same office get axed. I hope that this doesn't end up affecting this site at all, but who can say?

Giant Bomb hired two video guys. GameSpot is firing writers. Shifting paradigms, revolutionizing outside the box, etc.

It fucking sucks.

Avatar image for deactivated-58513b27f2513
deactivated-58513b27f2513

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hatking said:

Apparently GameSpot wants to neuter its editorial voice. Fucking stupid move, but I can't wait to see what these folks can do when not working for a website that seems like it actively wants to kill itself.

Did you ask yourself why before posting that? If they want to continue existng, they have to make decisons such as this one. They're not doing it for giggles.

Its a real shame though. Hopefully they can all land on their feet nicely.

TrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@trafalgarlaw said:

Tom was a person who dared to question why we kill so many arabs in FPS's and whether FPS's nowadays paint a too rosy picture of war and armed conflict. He wrote several, pretty thought-out articles about what videogames were trying to convey and propagate. Whether or not we should berate the millionth war simulator in which the americans are always the heroes and the arabs or russians are inherently evil. The comments he got were pretty toxic and juvenile. Another thing McShea was famous for, was rating critically acclaimed games with a 7.5/10. He got constant shit for his reviews, both in his reviewspage and the forums and beyond that.

Carolyn wrote articles about misogyny in videogames and whether this is a development we should actively dismiss. Again, an author who goes further than "You shot that guys face off with a rocket launcher! Awesomesauce!". But it was met with a lot of transgender insults. The same goes for her GTA5 review, a few lines about misogyny in GTA5 incited in entire flame wars that went on for weeks. The editorial team and the admins had to step in to stop the abuse.

The lay-off of these two people are quite shitty. This reaffirms that the videogame industry does not want dissent voices as reviewers. Everything has to be the same regurgitated crap of oozing praise without posing any question of its contents. Mind you, this very site is property of CBSi and these layoffs have proved once again critical thinking is not wanted at all.

You're jumping to some pretty terrible, straw-man-y conclusions. The fact that someone wrote something controversial is not proof that they were laid off for it, especially when these layoffs seem pretty across-the-board.

If you have to put a team of editors, moderators, admins on full alert to insults and toxic discourse for a full week...the management (CBSi) might think that the editors are not worth keeping around anymore if every new article of theirs starts the cycle anew.

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really hope Alex is still with GB. I feel like he would have said if he himself was let go, and Giant Bomb just got funding and new hires, so it wouldn't really make sense to cut Alex, but his Twitter has left me a little scared.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Carolyn Petit being laid off is a real blow to GameSpot. Outside of Danny O'Dwyer, she was basically all I cared about there.

I hope she finds a good place that will take advantage of her skills.

(she should move to Chicago and make articles and videos with Patrick)

excast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@smcn said:
@excast said:

I realize Giantbomb is small and all, but it is super weird that they were given funding to higher two people exactly a month before that many people in the same office get axed. I hope that this doesn't end up affecting this site at all, but who can say?

Giant Bomb hired two video guys. GameSpot is firing writers. Shifting paradigms, revolutionizing outside the box, etc.

It fucking sucks.

Isn't Ryan MacDonald a video guy?

theimmortalbum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I really hope Alex is still with GB. I feel like he would have said if he himself was let go, and Giant Bomb just got funding and new hires, so it wouldn't really make sense to cut Alex, but his Twitter has left me a little scared.

I obviously don't know, but I'm very willing to bet he's just super bummed (as he should be) over the layoffs at GameSpot.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@extomar:

The problem in today's atmosphere is how do we make this Siskel and Ebert and not Egoraptor and JonTron? Hell, I'd even settle for Penn & Teller! (Grating and in your face, but still very well considered.)

Jensonb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 8

#167  Edited By Jensonb

Wow, RyMac too? Seems like an odd guy to lay off with the pivot to video they've been doing, he was one of the architects of the previous video-oriented era of GameSpot - back when On the Spot both existed and didn't suck. Maybe there's a harder financial need to cut positions too, and they want to streamline management as a result. Had no idea the finances would be getting that rough.

CrimsonJester

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Wish Carolyn would have been available when GB was looking to fill a roll. She would have been a great counterpoint to many of the GB staff.

TrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chaser324: Ryan McDonald incubated and wrote the idea for The Lobby, along with other GameSpot shows. Seems like a pretty video focussed person to me.

devise22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@excast said:

The salaries of those in question is something that none of us know. Keep in mind those getting let go at Gamespot all seem to be well established people who have been there a while. I imagine working for a company so long has certainly granted them their fair share of hard earned raises. Which makes this even more terrible news.

But the fact that Giant Bomb is such a small team, and that Jeff had to work very hard to get those new hires says a lot. Keep in mind Giant Bomb also does offer premium content for a membership fee to help offset some of the cost of their already small team. Other than Jason who on GB doesn't participate in video content? Despite being a small team everyone on the GB team is doing multiple things. Podcasting, video content, written content, the site still does written reviews. They still all gather up to go to PAX and E3. Articles still go up, Alex and Patrick still cover news. It's a pretty multi faceted website for only having like 9 or 10 people total working for it, including people like Rorie and Alexsis. Then consider what GB brings to the table, and how popular it is despite how few people it takes to make this thing happen. If anything having GB run as it does, adding a couple of people to GB probably just made CBSi look at how many employee's and how much money they are paying over at Gamespot and what they end up getting out of it in the long run. As much as situations like this suck for the people letting go, and I wish this stuff didn't have to happen, there is always tactic and strategy to it. It's one of the hard parts about running a business. Something I personally have had to deal with. Reailizing you could continue to run efficently and in some cases double the amount of profit you make but letting go two people is one of those things that makes you feel good and bad at the same time. Because that profit can help and you can still run fine, but nobody wants to see people go without work.

Hopefully those affected by the layoffs can find new work sooner rather than later.

Klarion18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#172 FinalDasa  Moderator

@excast said:

@smcn said:
@excast said:

It fucking sucks.

Isn't Ryan MacDonald a video guy?

Yep, and two others mentioned in a tweet from earlier were GS producers including one who worked on The Lobby. This seems like a general cleaning of house and focusing on a handful of employees who do both on and off camera work rather than a "fire the writers" layoff.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

@trafalgarlaw: A strategic layoff is any layoff made to allow the company to remain viable. People at all levels of editorial seniority were laid off, meaning that unfortunately, GameSpot is in a most likely financially poor position and needed to let go of most of its staff. There is no conspiracy here. Only tragedy.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@development said:

I obviously don't know, but I'm very willing to bet he's just super bummed (as he should be) over the layoffs at GameSpot.

Combined with the tweet right before it and Ill say its in response to all of the shitheads tweeting bullshit at Carolyn.

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@development said:

Yeah, this is the most likely case. It's hard not to fear for the worst, though. I'm expecting the GB guys to say... something... any minute now.

Brackynews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 48

@zlimness said:

What the hell, Justin Calvert and Ryan MacDonald?! Wow, that's very surprising. I wish these guys good luck. They should totally get together and start their own site. Damn.

Covert and Big Mac. :( End of an era. This now feels like 2007. :((

I guess I'll be watching Satterfield's new venture even more closely.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

@djm389: that's the problem with anominity and the distance of people using the internet. People feel like they can say whoever they want and forget they are talking about people with feelings.

Of course it's not an excuse fuck those people.

Transphobia sucks. Also losing your job sucks. As someone who dealt with layoffs in a waning industry it's no fun.

According to Jason at Kotaku, their facebook comments are more vile than their anonymous ones. Anonymity has nothing to do with how we act on the internet apparently.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

@extomar:

The problem in today's atmosphere is how do we make this Siskel and Ebert and not Egoraptor and JonTron? Hell, I'd even settle for Penn & Teller! (Grating and in your face, but still very well considered.)

Well first somehow I'd think you'd need some sort of credentials to give you credibility.

And second the fact that no one is doing this right now is a good thing as it give you or somebody a earlya dopter market opportunity to stake a claim to it. I'm sure there' people who want to watch that kind of content. It's just the internet video audience is still pretty young right now, as they age they will want deeper stuff beyond Piediepie etc. Just because Egoraptor et al rule today, doesn't mean as youtube etc matures it's going to stay that way. Youtube is already drastically different than it was in 2008 or so, and I think it will keep evolving.

It's just the market is not as lucrative as the Lulz crowd right now.

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#179  Edited By KillEm_Dafoe

Holy shit, I can't believe some of these people got let go. Ryan MacDonald especially. Business fucking sucks, sometimes. Here's hoping that everyone is able to land on their feet! A lot of super-talented people here.

Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gaspower said:

@dfl017 said:

Weird, I thought Gamespot was doing alright compared to most other video game websites.

Yeah, I read somewhere they actually are in the top 4 gaming sites in terms of traffic along with IGN, Kotaku, and Polygon IIRC.

According to the alexa rank Gamespot is pretty much the second biggest/highest trafiic gaming website in the world(as far as traditional media websites go).

Wikitoups

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mosespippy: not surprising some people are garbage. My point was that the internet creates distance so it makes the people seem less real so people don't think of the person behind that photo or whatever. Not an excuse obviously and some would say it to those peopes faces as well.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184  Edited By GaspoweR
@trafalgarlaw said:

@cloudymusic said:

@trafalgarlaw said:

I agree that their articles were sorely needed in this industry, but let's not assume that the two things are connected. These appear to be largely budgetary/strategic layoffs, and there's no evidence so far that CBSi is "removing dissenting voices."

I don't know about you, but laying off of Tom seems very, very strange. Not only is that guy a regular on The Lobby each week, he also joins in a lot of video-related content and podcasts. He was like part of the core of the GameSpot team, doing A LOT of reviews. If you strategically lay off people, you don't lay off you core people like Ryan McDonald or Tom McShea. I could argue whether Carolyn was part of the core, but she definetly was a veteran at GameSpot.

Yeah, but I doubt it has anything to do with "dissenting voices" but I think it probably had more to do with a shift of focus to more video oriented content and probably more on the younger staff perhaps.

devise22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mosespippy: Anonymity has very little to do with it. The fact is, some people actual believe those hateful awful things. The most racist, sexist, small minded views of the world exist. The internet is a tool of connectivity. So a dude who loves some game nobody remembers finds another dude nobody remembers. It gives him confidence and joy about that game. It works just the same for people with views that suck. They find others who share it, and guess what? They gain the confidence and reaffirmation that they aren't alone in those views. So they have zero issues hurting others with them. The only thing we can do as a collective is to keep promoting the people who aren't awful and flat out ignoring those that are. At the end of the day the world is made up of more people who actually don't just insult and degrade people when they lose a job than those that are strictly negative. We just need to keep reminding ourselves and each other of that fact.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f0e8dcf3078d
deactivated-5f0e8dcf3078d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope Danny is safe

Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fluttercry: He's still there.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#188  Edited By chaser324  Moderator
@trafalgarlaw said:

@chaser324: Ryan McDonald incubated and wrote the idea for The Lobby, along with other GameSpot shows. Seems like a pretty video focussed person to me.

I wasn't aware he was among the lay-offs. Given how sweeping these lay-offs are, I'm more inclined to say it's just straight up budgetary. GameSpot's staff was rather large, especially if you include freelancers. If GB is doing reasonably well on a far leaner budget and showing audience growth, some suits may have taken that as a sign.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

Honestly can't say I go to GS for anything other than Danny O D so I can't say much about those let go. Enjoyed Carolyn during her few GB appearances, so maybe she will guest at some point?

I think there is very little room for Writer/Journalists today at big game websites/any game website/any website. It's just not how things are going. Writing is a cherry on top of Video at this point, like it or not.

TrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Justin Calvert
Carolyn Petit
Tom McShea
Maxwell McGee
Wernher
Benito Gonzalez
Ryan MacDonald

That's...a lot of good folk...how can they lay off half their camera personalities?

excast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope Danny is safe

He confirmed he is. Though odd timing as he is apparently out of the country for 3 weeks after today.

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@extomar:

The thing is that even the general movie going audience doesn't want Siskel and Ebert anymore. Just compare the popularity of someone like Nostalgia Critic to Red Letter Media or What the Flick?. It may sound cold but when looked at through a business standpoint serious game criticism isn't financially viable outside of the inadvertent click bait it sometimes produces.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

If you can't find something nice to say in a thread of this nature, don't bother posting. It's as simple as that. I'm not quite sure how much clearer we can make the "don't be a jerk" rule.

TrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#194  Edited By TrafalgarLaw

@chaser324 said:
@trafalgarlaw said:

I wasn't aware he was among the lay-offs. Given how sweeping these lay-offs are, I'm more inclined to say it's just straight up budgetary. GameSpot's staff was rather large, especially if you include freelancers. If GB is doing reasonably well on a far leaner budget and showing audience growth, some suits may have taken that as a sign.

If you look at the list of currently confirmed people getting laid off, this is a massive house cleaning. Whether it's budgetary or not, I definitely feel something is up. Who's to say GiantBomb won't suffer the same fate years down the line?

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Whatever happened to Chris Waters?

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#196 chaser324  Moderator

@trafalgarlaw: The internet is a volatile place to do business. Nothing is sacred.

Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197  Edited By Mcfart

@trafalgarlaw said:

@chaser324 said:
@trafalgarlaw said:

If you look at the list of currently confirmed people getting laid off, this is a massive house cleaning. Whether it's budgetary or not, I definitely feel something is up. Who's to say GiantBomb won't suffer the same fate years down the line?

If GB keeps adding staff, then it could happen. However, right now GB's showing the effectiveness with their 2 new hires by putting up lots more video content. In other words, the 2 hires are already showing positive results on the site. Gamespot simply had too many staff, especially reviewers when freelancers do the same thing for less.

DrDarkStryfe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Chris Watters is still there.

excast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#199  Edited By excast

@trafalgarlaw said:

@chaser324 said:
@trafalgarlaw said:

The timing strikes me as super weird considering the GB hires. What kind of a message does it send to Gamespot when the other side of the floor is hiring people and you just laid off most of your writers and some of the longer term vets of your site? That is why I would really like to get some kind of confirmation from Jeff or elsewhere as to if this is going to affect Giant Bomb.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#200  Edited By Video_Game_King

@bocam:

I'm reading Ebert's Wikipedia article (because I don't know Siskel's first name (or last name; I don't know which name Siskel is!)), and I stumbled across this quote:

In August 2004 Stephen King, in a column, criticized what he saw as a growing trend of leniency towards films from critics including Ebert. His main criticism was that films, citing Spider-Man 2 as an example, were constantly given four star ratings that they did not deserve.

Needless to say, I'm in a nihilistic mood for the rest of the day.