• 77 results
Blueman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Blueman

http://gamerlimit.com/2010/03/gamespot-overtakes-ign-as-the-most-visited-gaming-site/

So Gamespot has taken over IGN as the most visited gaming website. I hardly ever visit either of them, but i prefer Gamespot. Do you think either of them are decent? And when will Giantbomb be number 1?!
Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#2  Edited By Yummylee

Bleh, quantity over quality frankly.
fresh2deafbill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By fresh2deafbill

gamespot is absolutely awful now. watch their heavy rain video review, i fell asleep 2 minutes in. there is not one person their who has any charisma whatsoever and their features are just boring. IGN is a better site, but i rarely visit either of them

GIANT BOMB FTW, number one in 2011

Drebin_893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Drebin_893

Congratulations Gamespot! The amount of work those guys put in is really astounding, I'm glad they it's paid off.

spankingaddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 12

#5  Edited By spankingaddict

i dont like gamespot anymore...

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By eroticfishcake

I'll go over to Gamespot to see what's there but that aside I don't really care much for it. In fact, it's always been like that for a long, long time.

emkeighcameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By emkeighcameron

I don't like the layout, reviews, speed, users, forums, colors, or ads that Gamespot has.

But I like IGN even less. So good.

Kohe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By Kohe321

I look forward to the day giantbomb is nr. 1

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By scarace360

when giantbomb becomes the most viewed site i will be like WOOOOO!

rhodric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By rhodric

Kevin VanOrd represents all that is wrong with gamespot. How can a game reviewer be so f'ing terrible at video games? Watching him play even MMOs (the easiest genre imo) is painful.
Also the fact that their site haven't changed a single bit since Jeff and Co. left says tons about their lack of originality.

Hourai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By Hourai

I don't care much for either of them. They seem really boring these days, at least in comparison to Giant Bomb. They also hand out high scores like candy, especially when the game is hyped. Don't like the communities on the two sites either.

apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By apathylad

Didn't Gamespot fall in popularity after the Gerstmann incident? I wonder what their traffic was like years ago compared to now...

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#13  Edited By jakob187

Most viewed =/= best. 

Still, Gamespot serves its own perfectly fine purposes, despite what a bunch of haters want to say.

CoolDrMoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 11

#14  Edited By CoolDrMoney

Gamespot may be a shell of it's former self, but it's still better than IGN has been for the last 6 years

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By CL60

Avatar image for randominternetuser
RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gamespot is alright.  I never visit the forums anymore (haven't since GB launched pretty much) and I only ever go over there if GB doesn't have a review up for a game (they have a link under their review score to see all the scores from other sites, so I can get the general consensus).  The last time I watched a video review from there, it was truly extremely bad, slightly uninformed, and boring beyond any review I've ever seen.  I have actually only been to IGN once or twice.  That site is such a jumbled, annoying mess.  So I do prefer Gamespot over IGN.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By penguindust

Really, I don't visit either IGN or Gamespot on a regular basis.  If I am Googling for a specific piece of information on a game and it points me there, then I'll go but I never navigate to the site on purpose.  I do like Gamespot's 2 podcasts, though.  The Hotspot is sometimes a worthwhile listen although I prefer the Gamespot UK podcast.  It just sounds classier.  Guy Cocker from the Gamespot UK was on the Hotspot this past week. 

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

#18  Edited By Yummylee
@xobballox said:
"The last time I watched a video review from there, it was truly extremely bad, slightly uninformed, and boring beyond any review I've ever seen.   "

Sounds like a Tom McShea review.
jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By jkz

I don't like either, but I far prefer IGN. My sites are Joystiq, Kotaku, occasionally Destructoid, and of course good 'ol Giantbomb.

Synthballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#20  Edited By Synthballs
@CL60: You just couldn't help yourself...COULD YOU?! I should pimpslap you into next week.

Kudos for being around this long Gamespot. Gertsmann Incident or not you're still going strong.
bed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By bed

GAMESPOT DA BEST 

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Capum15

Interesting I guess. Never really go to IGN aside from random game guides that I find by way of google.

I visit Gamespot mostly for the forums of specific games and the Hints and Tips section (Cheats mostly, Walkthroughs for when I'm bored and feel like reading something or for when something has a billion collectibles ala GTA IV).

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#23  Edited By Getz

Don't visit either much anymore, these days it's Giantbomb and Destructoid for the personality. Those big sites just don't do it for me anymore.

BlueSaol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By BlueSaol

I like IGN. I think their reviews are a bit too long and rambling, and for news content the blogs are always quicker and more up to date, but their podcasts and videos can be quite good. IGN isn't just games, though. I really like their tv coverage. 

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Rhaknar

im not a fan of gamespot, and it has nothing to do with jeff and the gang. I actually like IGN, although i think the latest layout is worse than before. I only really frequent GB daily tho, and gametrailers, since both offer mostly video content

Avatar image for deactivated-590b7522e5236
deactivated-590b7522e5236

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@CL60 said:
"  
"
Always uncomfortable to watch. Also GS being number 1 is kinda surprising  
Izaak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Izaak

I really don't see any sense of community or anything form GS or IGN, they're too big for their own good.  
I only really visit Kotaku for news and GB for everything else. 

ZeroCast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By ZeroCast
@rhodric said:

" Kevin VanOrd represents all that is wrong with gamespot. How can a game reviewer be so f'ing terrible at video games? Watching him play even MMOs (the easiest genre imo) is painful.Also the fact that their site haven't changed a single bit since Jeff and Co. left says tons about their lack of originality. "

If you're going to start spewing shit on one of the best critics left in the business then please find another place.

" You might not always agree with everything he has to say, but that doesn't make him wrong, either."  - Jeff
n00d13z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By n00d13z
@emkeighcameron said:
" I don't like the layout, reviews, speed, users, forums, colors, or ads that Gamespot has.  But I like IGN even less. So good. "
Whoa whoa whoa! You're telling me that Gamespot does speed?! :O
Dingofighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Dingofighter

I haven't really visited any other gaming sites since I found Giant Bomb but before I knew about this site Gamespot was the place I went to for videogame info.

WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#31  Edited By WickedCestus

I hate IGN. I don't really visit Gamespot much, but I like the Hotspot, so I think they deserve it. They have some talented guys there; Brian Ekberg, Kevin Van Ord, and Justin Calvert spring to mind.

jonnyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#32  Edited By jonnyboy

To be honest I don't want to see total figures, I want to see number of new members on a year by year basis. They may have the most hits, maybe even the most users, but I doubt they are growing at the same rate as other websites Giantbomb included.

yakov456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By yakov456

The day Giantbomb started was the day I stopped going to gamespot. And yes it was because of the Kayne and Lynch crap. The only other site I visit for game stuff is Kotaku. IGN and Gamespot are too big for their own good, huge adds all over the place, I don't get that "personal" feeling that I get with Giantbomb.  F those other sites.

the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#34  Edited By the8bitNacho

People here blow GameSpot's lack of quality out of proportion thanks to the whole "Gerstmanngate" fiasco.  It's not a great site, and it's certainly not deserving of being the highest viewed gaming site, but come on.  

Also yes, I'm fully expecting to get flamed for this.

Teoball

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Teoball

When everyone I "knew" left gamespot I stopped going there. 
This is the only gaming site I visit these days.

Daryl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Daryl

I guess having the domain videogames.com helps.

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#37  Edited By JoelTGM

The community their is terrible.

Astras

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#38  Edited By Astras

Post certain staff leaving - Gamespot are scared to death to review anything proper, the money they generate through advertising obviously affects the direction of their reviews... the existence of giant bomb is obviously some of the evidence for this.
The site is scared of big game publishers and you can clearly see them wary of anthing with the name EA linked to it.. and usually end up as 8 being the lowest mark they will dish out for any of their games.
The reviewers look like they are reading from a script and any negativity they dish out is quickly followed by positives and reasons.

The player reviews are so random and infested with fake reviews posted by people connected to some of the games, It's hilarious how a terrible game has soo many <4 marks then theres the most random 10 given from someone who has only reviewed one other game from the same publisher.

I used to check Gamespot daily... I'd rather get some reviews from people who don't have an agenda (giantbomb)!

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#39  Edited By natetodamax

Ignorant people are ignorant. People that visit that site don't know what good video game journalism is.

mshaw006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By mshaw006
@Teoball said:
" When everyone I "knew" left gamespot I stopped going there."
This. The people at gamespot totally lack charisma in their video reviews, despite their good faith efforts. After Kasavin left it started going downhill. He actually used the word "pathos" is his Ninja Gaiden review. 

Also, literally every one of their video reviews starts off sounding like an advertisement for the game. The "lush environments" and "heart-stopping action", blah blah blah. Not that they're paid off, though I have my doubts after the Modern Warfare score change, but I think they're just not being honest enough about their appraisals. Gerstmann and the crew here are real about their video games. Those guys act like they're trying to hype the game up, because that's what sounds "right", because all they've heard are ads for the game, etc.
sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#41  Edited By sjschmidt93
@CL60 said:
"  
"
STOP IT. STOP IT. 

Anyway, I guess everyone loves Roper that much, eh?
damnboyadvance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 4

#42  Edited By damnboyadvance

Gamespot isn't what it used to be. It's no longer focused on the community like it should be. They replaced On the Spot with "Today On the Spot," which is probably just competing against X-Play. Their reviews are awful and uninformed. The community, for the most part, isn't a good one. Most of the editors have no personalities. Although some do. I don't think Kevin VanOrd is a bad fellow.

And most importantly, they don't review as many games as they should. IGN reviews far more games than any other website, including Giant Bomb. But Giant Bomb is still my home.

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#43  Edited By wefwefasdf
@CL60: That always makes me want to cringe... Take it away!
hinderk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By hinderk
@Astras:  What are you talking about? I just went through some of there latest ea game reviews and there were plenty below an 8.
samcotts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By samcotts

Wow, I thought Gamespot was going slowly downhill. Seems like business is better then ever over there. 

I can sort of understand it though. I imagine the majority of people joining video game websites for the first time probably start off at Gamespot.

Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#46  Edited By Whisperkill

I think I can agree with most people here 

that site sucks ass

spazmaster666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#47  Edited By spazmaster666

Both Gamespot and IGN are still decent places to go for coverage and IGN at least post their reviews fairly early (the same can't always be said for Gamespot in this regard). Yeah I know IGN reviews are usually less than stellar, but a review is a review and it always contains useful info even if it is badly put together. Honestly, Gamespot isn't necessarily bad, they just don't have any standout personalities like they used to when the GB gang was still working there. So while the amount of coverage they feature is still pretty much the same, it's not nearly as interesting as it was in the past. But hey, I don't always go to a gaming website for interesting content, sometimes I go for coverage and in that department, both IGN and Gamespot more or less deliver on a consistent basis (even though the amount of ads on IGN is mindblowing).

Astras

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#48  Edited By Astras
EOT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By EOT

I haven't been on Gamespot in ages. I normally go to Gametrailers for reviews and such....and invisible walls when Marcus Beer was still on it.

Partisan189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Partisan189

After Rich Gallup left Gamespot my interest spiraled downhill and then Jeff and Greg leaving later I just lost all interest in the site.