#1 Edited by Pudge (886 posts) -
#2 Posted by Demoskinos (14851 posts) -

Until the new site is launched I don't think any projects like this will be even remotely possible.

#3 Posted by TooWalrus (13208 posts) -

I don't really like doing anything on my old xbox, because everything just seems so god damn slow. This'll all seem a lot more exciting to me when the new consoles are out.

#4 Posted by vikingdeath1 (972 posts) -

a possibility, but not for a few years at least (it'll be xbox720 by this time)

#5 Posted by forkboy (1151 posts) -

I can't see it happening. Giant Bomb, despite the same owners, is much more niche than Gamespot. Having 2 CBSi properties on there seems overkill, maybe Giant Bomb content could appear on the GS app, but a dedicated GB app seems unlikely.

#6 Posted by Pudge (886 posts) -

@forkboy said:

I can't see it happening. Giant Bomb, despite the same owners, is much more niche than Gamespot. Having 2 CBSi properties on there seems overkill, maybe Giant Bomb content could appear on the GS app, but a dedicated GB app seems unlikely.

I was thinking about that too, and I wouldn't mind that. The only problem would be that they probably wouldn't be able to get the premium content if they do that, and at that point, I can just load up the YouTube app and watch it there.

#7 Posted by RE_Player1 (7560 posts) -

Do they filter everything to be 360 related?

#8 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4354 posts) -

That's cool but I rarely use my Xbox anyways other than for Gears 3. PC all the way baby.

#9 Posted by gumdealer (96 posts) -

I think someone asked them this on a premium stream or something and they said they didn't have anything planned.

#10 Posted by NegativeCero (3003 posts) -

I wouldn't mind that. out of convenience. But I also don't use apps on my 360, so I would assume I would use it once and continue to not want to use apps on the 360.

#11 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

just kind of wondering what does the app do? i kind of what rather watch stuff on the website than watching it on the console. i usually just use consoles for games, movies.

#12 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

There is an unofficial app for iOS which is pretty awesome.

#13 Posted by Nightriff (5094 posts) -

If I want to watch on my TV I download them onto a External HD and plug it into my PS3, that works for me. The app isn't necessary to me but people would use it

#14 Posted by Damian (1538 posts) -

Aren't all apps locked to Gold members?

#15 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

We can't even get a functioning, official mobile app. You're going to need to wait a bit on the console app.

#16 Posted by Indiana_Jenkins (390 posts) -

If this does happen don't have a Kinect hooked up. I remember reading that someone was watching a Quick Look of a Kinect game through their Xbox w/Kinect, and Jeff and Ryan kept stopping the video by shouting xbox commands.

#17 Posted by Athadam (693 posts) -

Doesn't the new xbox live dashboard have Internet Explorer anyways?

So in time, you'll be able to visit GB on your Xbox anyways.

#18 Posted by ericjohnson (52 posts) -

@Nightriff: I know the PS3 browser sucks, but you can just load up the site through that and it is functional.

#19 Posted by Suicrat (3764 posts) -

The idea's neat and all, but I've got a laptop with HDMI and VGA ports, so that basically does the same job. Having said that, I'm 100% in favour of anything that helps Giant Bomb grow and become more successful. (Someone's gotta pay Max's college tuition!)

#20 Posted by morrelloman (608 posts) -

I watch the youtube channel thru my XBOX sometimes. It would be nice if less clicks were needed and extra good if premium content was on there, but I don't think that it is worth the investment on their part.

#21 Posted by ValiantGrizzly (498 posts) -

Still bummed that all we get app-wise in Europe is YouTube. That's it.

#22 Posted by Jeff (3577 posts) -

@Demoskinos said:

Until the new site is launched I don't think any projects like this will be even remotely possible.

Yup. Since our video backend is likely to change in a few ways, we're not going to pursue anything along these lines just yet.

From there I think it's a matter of deciding whether it's worth trying to launch a separate app or just get a tab in the GameSpot app. I have to imagine just getting into the GameSpot app would be waaaay easier, since it wouldn't have to go through whatever kooky approval process Microsoft probably has. But either way... yeah, we've talked about doing something like this. No guarantees that it'll happen, though.

Staff
#23 Posted by Megasoum (354 posts) -

@Jeff said:

@Demoskinos said:

Until the new site is launched I don't think any projects like this will be even remotely possible.

Yup. Since our video backend is likely to change in a few ways, we're not going to pursue anything along these lines just yet.

From there I think it's a matter of deciding whether it's worth trying to launch a separate app or just get a tab in the GameSpot app. I have to imagine just getting into the GameSpot app would be waaaay easier, since it wouldn't have to go through whatever kooky approval process Microsoft probably has. But either way... yeah, we've talked about doing something like this. No guarantees that it'll happen, though.

I haven't checked the Gamespot app yet but wasn't there some kind of crazy limitations with the IGN app a couple of months ago where they could only show videos about 360 games and no Sony/Nintendo stuff?

#24 Posted by Jeff (3577 posts) -

@Megasoum: I think it has everything in there, not just Microsoft stuff. Not sure. Since YouTube is full of plenty of non-Microsoft gaming (and the forthcoming Twitch app will be the same way), I doubt they'd force that limitation. But I haven't really spent a lot of time with it.

Staff
#25 Posted by Fattony12000 (7432 posts) -

8 HOUR LIVESTREAM OF TURBOGRAFX GAMES WITH GIANT BOMB ON XBOX LIVE. GO.

#26 Posted by FonkyMucker (150 posts) -

@Megasoum said:

@Jeff said:

@Demoskinos said:

Until the new site is launched I don't think any projects like this will be even remotely possible.

Yup. Since our video backend is likely to change in a few ways, we're not going to pursue anything along these lines just yet.

From there I think it's a matter of deciding whether it's worth trying to launch a separate app or just get a tab in the GameSpot app. I have to imagine just getting into the GameSpot app would be waaaay easier, since it wouldn't have to go through whatever kooky approval process Microsoft probably has. But either way... yeah, we've talked about doing something like this. No guarantees that it'll happen, though.

I haven't checked the Gamespot app yet but wasn't there some kind of crazy limitations with the IGN app a couple of months ago where they could only show videos about 360 games and no Sony/Nintendo stuff?

I don't think a app would serve the Giant Bomb community. We already love the site because of how they do video and many of us wouldn't want to jump through some extra hoops just to get at them. However, a few Kinect Quick Looks in the GameSpot app could bring in new users who may not have given the site a chance. The idea of some Mom and Dad walking in on their youngster watching Ryan and Jeff acting out Furry fanfiction seems like one worth pursuing in some form.

#27 Posted by laserbolts (5322 posts) -

Is giantbomb that big? I always thought this site didn't get anywhere near the number of views as the big boys. Maybe I'm wrong.

#28 Posted by 9999dmg (132 posts) -

I use the Roku app for GB literally every day, it is great. I don't think it would be that difficult to make something similar for the xbox.

#29 Edited by myketuna (1703 posts) -

@9999dmg said:

I use the Roku app for GB literally every day, it is great. I don't think it would be that difficult to make something similar for the xbox.

I don't mean to derail the thread entirely, but is getting a Roku for GB stuff worth it? How's that channel working nowadays? I've been debating getting one, but if the channel/app isn't very good, what's the point?

As far as an Xbox app, I feel like it'd be cool for GB to have one. But ultimately, it's a waste of time for Dave and crew (or whoever would make such a thing) since I don't think GB is big enough yet to warrant such a thing. And they're busy with a new site anyway. There's also the issue of how to deal with Premium content.

EDIT:

Getting a tab in the GS app sounds like the best idea should they ever decide to do this. Like Jeff said, they can forego the approval process AND possibly get some new eyes on the Giant Bomb content.

#30 Edited by 9999dmg (132 posts) -

@myketuna: If you want to watch GB videos in HD on your TV with a decent interface then it is worth it. It's awesome for watching multiple episodes of an endurance run in a row. My only problem with it is that you can't watch ALL the videos, they stop after a certain date (a couple years? I can't really tell).

#31 Posted by myketuna (1703 posts) -

@9999dmg: Thanks. Sounds like I'm going to get one then. I don't really watch backlog stuff that often and should the mood strike, I'll just hop on my computer.

#32 Posted by Slaegar (714 posts) -

There's a giant bomb app thingy for XBMC. That works quite well and you don't have to pay $10 extra a month to use it.