Gamespot now has an Xbox app. Could Giant Bomb be far behind?

Pudge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By Pudge
musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#2  Edited By musubi

Until the new site is launched I don't think any projects like this will be even remotely possible.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By toowalrus

I don't really like doing anything on my old xbox, because everything just seems so god damn slow. This'll all seem a lot more exciting to me when the new consoles are out.

vikingdeath1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By vikingdeath1

a possibility, but not for a few years at least (it'll be xbox720 by this time)

forkboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By forkboy

I can't see it happening. Giant Bomb, despite the same owners, is much more niche than Gamespot. Having 2 CBSi properties on there seems overkill, maybe Giant Bomb content could appear on the GS app, but a dedicated GB app seems unlikely.

Pudge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By Pudge

@forkboy said:

I can't see it happening. Giant Bomb, despite the same owners, is much more niche than Gamespot. Having 2 CBSi properties on there seems overkill, maybe Giant Bomb content could appear on the GS app, but a dedicated GB app seems unlikely.

I was thinking about that too, and I wouldn't mind that. The only problem would be that they probably wouldn't be able to get the premium content if they do that, and at that point, I can just load up the YouTube app and watch it there.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By RE_Player1

Do they filter everything to be 360 related?

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By colourful_hippie

That's cool but I rarely use my Xbox anyways other than for Gears 3. PC all the way baby.

gumdealer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By gumdealer

I think someone asked them this on a premium stream or something and they said they didn't have anything planned.

NegativeCero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By NegativeCero

I wouldn't mind that. out of convenience. But I also don't use apps on my 360, so I would assume I would use it once and continue to not want to use apps on the 360.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By iam3green

just kind of wondering what does the app do? i kind of what rather watch stuff on the website than watching it on the console. i usually just use consoles for games, movies.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#12  Edited By Hizang

There is an unofficial app for iOS which is pretty awesome.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#13  Edited By nightriff

If I want to watch on my TV I download them onto a External HD and plug it into my PS3, that works for me. The app isn't necessary to me but people would use it

Damian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Damian

Aren't all apps locked to Gold members?

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By napalm

We can't even get a functioning, official mobile app. You're going to need to wait a bit on the console app.

Avatar image for indiana_jenkins
indiana_jenkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By indiana_jenkins

If this does happen don't have a Kinect hooked up. I remember reading that someone was watching a Quick Look of a Kinect game through their Xbox w/Kinect, and Jeff and Ryan kept stopping the video by shouting xbox commands.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b8316ffae7ad
deactivated-5b8316ffae7ad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Doesn't the new xbox live dashboard have Internet Explorer anyways?

So in time, you'll be able to visit GB on your Xbox anyways.

ericjohnson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By ericjohnson

@Nightriff: I know the PS3 browser sucks, but you can just load up the site through that and it is functional.

Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#19  Edited By Suicrat

The idea's neat and all, but I've got a laptop with HDMI and VGA ports, so that basically does the same job. Having said that, I'm 100% in favour of anything that helps Giant Bomb grow and become more successful. (Someone's gotta pay Max's college tuition!)

morrelloman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#20  Edited By morrelloman

I watch the youtube channel thru my XBOX sometimes. It would be nice if less clicks were needed and extra good if premium content was on there, but I don't think that it is worth the investment on their part.

valiantgrizzly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By valiantgrizzly

Still bummed that all we get app-wise in Europe is YouTube. That's it.

jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#22  Edited By jeff

@Demoskinos said:

Until the new site is launched I don't think any projects like this will be even remotely possible.

Yup. Since our video backend is likely to change in a few ways, we're not going to pursue anything along these lines just yet.

From there I think it's a matter of deciding whether it's worth trying to launch a separate app or just get a tab in the GameSpot app. I have to imagine just getting into the GameSpot app would be waaaay easier, since it wouldn't have to go through whatever kooky approval process Microsoft probably has. But either way... yeah, we've talked about doing something like this. No guarantees that it'll happen, though.

megasoum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By megasoum

@Jeff said:

@Demoskinos said:

Yup. Since our video backend is likely to change in a few ways, we're not going to pursue anything along these lines just yet.

From there I think it's a matter of deciding whether it's worth trying to launch a separate app or just get a tab in the GameSpot app. I have to imagine just getting into the GameSpot app would be waaaay easier, since it wouldn't have to go through whatever kooky approval process Microsoft probably has. But either way... yeah, we've talked about doing something like this. No guarantees that it'll happen, though.

I haven't checked the Gamespot app yet but wasn't there some kind of crazy limitations with the IGN app a couple of months ago where they could only show videos about 360 games and no Sony/Nintendo stuff?

jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#24  Edited By jeff

@Megasoum: I think it has everything in there, not just Microsoft stuff. Not sure. Since YouTube is full of plenty of non-Microsoft gaming (and the forthcoming Twitch app will be the same way), I doubt they'd force that limitation. But I haven't really spent a lot of time with it.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#25  Edited By fattony12000

8 HOUR LIVESTREAM OF TURBOGRAFX GAMES WITH GIANT BOMB ON XBOX LIVE. GO.

fonkymucker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By fonkymucker

@Megasoum said:

@Jeff said:

@Demoskinos said:

I haven't checked the Gamespot app yet but wasn't there some kind of crazy limitations with the IGN app a couple of months ago where they could only show videos about 360 games and no Sony/Nintendo stuff?

I don't think a app would serve the Giant Bomb community. We already love the site because of how they do video and many of us wouldn't want to jump through some extra hoops just to get at them. However, a few Kinect Quick Looks in the GameSpot app could bring in new users who may not have given the site a chance. The idea of some Mom and Dad walking in on their youngster watching Ryan and Jeff acting out Furry fanfiction seems like one worth pursuing in some form.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By laserbolts

Is giantbomb that big? I always thought this site didn't get anywhere near the number of views as the big boys. Maybe I'm wrong.

9999dmg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By 9999dmg

I use the Roku app for GB literally every day, it is great. I don't think it would be that difficult to make something similar for the xbox.

myke_tuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#29  Edited By myke_tuna

@9999dmg said:

I use the Roku app for GB literally every day, it is great. I don't think it would be that difficult to make something similar for the xbox.

I don't mean to derail the thread entirely, but is getting a Roku for GB stuff worth it? How's that channel working nowadays? I've been debating getting one, but if the channel/app isn't very good, what's the point?

As far as an Xbox app, I feel like it'd be cool for GB to have one. But ultimately, it's a waste of time for Dave and crew (or whoever would make such a thing) since I don't think GB is big enough yet to warrant such a thing. And they're busy with a new site anyway. There's also the issue of how to deal with Premium content.

EDIT:

Getting a tab in the GS app sounds like the best idea should they ever decide to do this. Like Jeff said, they can forego the approval process AND possibly get some new eyes on the Giant Bomb content.

9999dmg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By 9999dmg

@myketuna: If you want to watch GB videos in HD on your TV with a decent interface then it is worth it. It's awesome for watching multiple episodes of an endurance run in a row. My only problem with it is that you can't watch ALL the videos, they stop after a certain date (a couple years? I can't really tell).

myke_tuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#31  Edited By myke_tuna

@9999dmg: Thanks. Sounds like I'm going to get one then. I don't really watch backlog stuff that often and should the mood strike, I'll just hop on my computer.

Slaegar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Slaegar

There's a giant bomb app thingy for XBMC. That works quite well and you don't have to pay $10 extra a month to use it.