Gamespot picks ACII as 'Best Xbox 360 Game' for 2009.

• 57 results
mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By mordukai

Now before you start with your flame rage and start saying the AC2 is a good game that deserves being "Best Of" at any category know that they divided each day of the week into an award specific theme, today was the "Platform Awards" meaning they award a single game out of five that is defining of that specific platform.  

Now, the 360 games that were in that category were: 

• Forza Motorsport 3
  • MW2
  • ACII
  • L4D2
  • Batman: AA

Odd that they didn't include ODST in that list but I guess they felt that it did not deserve a spot on that list. I have only played maybe 10 minutes of that game so I really don't have an opinion on that matter. What I find weird is that only one out of these five games is a pure exclusive. L4D2 is also on the PC and last time I checked the PC was considered a gaming platform. Mind you that we are talking about the platform awards and not console ones.  

The other categories also suffered that problem as the PC one had only had one real PC only game and the PS3 ctagory had 2 Multi Platform games. Te only ones that were truly represented the platform  were the Wii, DS, PSP,  

So they picked a Multi Plat game for the best 360 game of 2009. I think it's a testament to how light the 360  exclusive scene was this year and that the line between PC 360 and PS3 are becoming more and more blurred as far as the games that they all share.  

What are your thoughts on this matter? Do you feel that AC2 deserved getting Best Xbox 360 game of 2009 by them? 

The other winners were: 

Best PC game - Dragon Age: Origins 
Best PS3 Game - Demon's Souls 
Best Wii Game - Dead Space: Extraction 
Best PSP game - GTA: Chinatown Wars  
Best DS game - GTA: Chinatown Wars  
Bigandtasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Bigandtasty

It is true that the 360 had a pretty thin list of exclusives this year (all the best 360 exclusives were downloadable games), so maybe they could justify the pick of ACII since it's better on 360.

Chinatown Wars twice seems a bit unoriginal though.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By Marz

I agree that the 360 didn't have many outstanding exclusives this year.  Though dragon age on PC did definately deserve the nod because it just had more features to offer with community and mod support.

cstrang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By cstrang

Yes, the X360 exclusives were pretty weak this year.  I, personally, love ACII, and feel it deserves every accolade it receives.

rawrz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By rawrz

Uncharted 2 isnt best ps3 game? I dont own a ps3 and i never played it but with all the love ive seen for that game and the fact that Demon's Souls seems to be pretty love/hate im surprised Uncharted 2 isnt best ps3 game. Then again im not since this is gamespot, the same place that gave best driving game a few years ago to Motorstorm over Forza 2, so they have a history of being wrong.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#6  Edited By AndrewB

GTA: Chinatown Wars is surprising. I'm not sure how to feel about that; I love the game, but I wouldn't call it my favorite DS or PSP game, yet I'm glad to see it get some recognition.

Really glad to see Dragon Age there. Demon's Souls, as well; though having heard the praise for Uncharted 2, it's weird not seeing it take the top spot. Dead Space: Extraction seems like the best thing I can think of that came out on the Wii this year short of Mario.

And Considering just how few exclusies there were for the 360, I suppose it's fitting for Assassin's Creed 2 to take it. Having played only one of the games on that list (Left 4 Dead 2), I couldn't really offer much of an opinion besides spouting the majority opinion I've heard elsewhere, but I'd definitey not give it to L4D2, so I can't really argue with the results. 

All in all a pretty good choice, I'd say.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By mordukai
@Rawrz said:
" Uncharted 2 isnt best ps3 game? I dont own a ps3 and i never played it but with all the love ive seen for that game and the fact that Demon's Souls seems to be pretty love/hate im surprised Uncharted 2 isnt best ps3 game. Then again im not since this is gamespot, the same place that gave best driving game a few years ago to Motorstorm over Forza 2, so they have a history of being wrong. "
I think it's due to that fact that they are preparing Uncharted 2 as their GOTY so they didn't want to have one game defining a whole console that got some pretty darn good exclusives this year. 
zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By zombie2011

I thought Dragon Age was the best game this year should have been best PS3, 360 and PC game.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By mordukai
@AndrewB:  
I can't argue about you opinion but it seems odd to me that what they are basically saying is that the best game 360 owners have had this year was also available to PS3 users and soon to PC users as well. While Ac2 is a good game (though I did have some major issues with it) I enjoyed it very much and it's nice to see it getting some love but I just didn't feel it  deserved it on this specific category. 
mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By mordukai
@zombie2011:  
It is a good game but I have major issues with it's ending, all of them. 
thecleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By thecleric

They said Demon's Souls was the best RPG. I mean, I love the game, it just blew my mind that GAMESPOT loved it.

BawlZINmotion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#12  Edited By BawlZINmotion
@Mordukai said:
" @Rawrz said:
" Uncharted 2 isnt best ps3 game? I dont own a ps3 and i never played it but with all the love ive seen for that game and the fact that Demon's Souls seems to be pretty love/hate im surprised Uncharted 2 isnt best ps3 game. Then again im not since this is gamespot, the same place that gave best driving game a few years ago to Motorstorm over Forza 2, so they have a history of being wrong. "
I think it's due to that fact that they are preparing Uncharted 2 as their GOTY so they didn't want to have one game defining a whole console that got some pretty darn good exclusives this year.  "

You're right on the money.
subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By subject2change

holy shit Demon's Souls for PS3? WOW i gotta give GameSpot some credit for balls on that one. Loved it but Uncharted 2 is so heavily praised. I guess Demon's Souls is a complete game and you can put a ton of time into it if you really wanted to.

And after finishing Dragon Age today, I was kinda let down at the end. Archdemon fight was kinda not as impressive as I expected. I'd put it as a PC game of the year

strangeling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 50

#14  Edited By strangeling

But... 
ACII wasn't released in 2009.  And it wasn't on the 360. 
I'm all confused. 

(This is why using acronyms for video games is dumb.  I guess the acronym could only apply to the most recent game that it fits, but that's like saying all the other games that came before it aren't worth remembering any longer.  I, for one, do not believe video games should only be about the new hotness.)

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#15  Edited By AndrewB
@Mordukai said:

" @AndrewB:  I can't argue about you opinion but it seems odd to me that what they are basically saying is that the best game 360 owners have had this year was also available to PS3 users and soon to PC users as well. While Ac2 is a good game (though I did have some major issues with it) I enjoyed it very much and it's nice to see it getting some love but I just didn't feel it  deserved it on this specific category.  "

I didn't actually mean I agreed with the choice, I was more saying it is kind of ironic, though I'm not sure ironic would be the right term, here. Though I honestly can't think of any 360 exclusive from 2009 that I'd put over that list. I don't think ODST is worthy, and the only game I can think of that I'd scrunch in there (and probably give the award to) would be Borderlands, but that's also a multiplatform game.
mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By mordukai
@Subject2Change said:
" holy shit Demon's Souls for PS3? WOW i gotta give GameSpot some credit for balls on that one.  And after finishing Dragon Age today, I was kinda let down at the end. Archdemon fight was kinda not as impressive as I expected. "
THANK YOU! 

now I won't feel like a total shit beg because I too thought the ending and the Arch Demon fight was a total let down.  

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By bybeach

What happened to Uncharted 2 for the PS3? As for the 360, they could say whatever they wanted, as long as they aknowledge and live with the fact they are on other systems, if  not an exclusive. Was  AC2 really significantly better on the 360?  Or was it simply one of the 360`s best games?
luce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By luce
@thecleric said:
" They said Demon's Souls was the best RPG. I mean, I love the game, it just blew my mind that GAMESPOT loved it. "
gamespot is not one entity. why does the giant bomb community love to personify that website?

wait..don't answer that
Colin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#19  Edited By Colin

I would say ACII is far from the "best" game for the xbox360... 

And holy hell the amount of fanboys in the comments on GS.
subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By subject2change
@Mordukai: 

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By TheGreatGuero

Yo man, why you gotta spoil it for those of us who haven't seen their GOTY awards yet? Not cool, bro.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By mordukai
@TheGreatGuero said:
"

Yo man, why you gotta spoil it for those of us who haven't seen their GOTY awards yet? Not cool, bro.

"
WTF are you talking about? I haven't spoiled anything. GS did not revel their game of the year, yet. 
azteris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By azteris

I don't understand how a game can win 'Game of the Year' and not win in it's respective console category.

harrisonave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By harrisonave
@thecleric said:
" They said Demon's Souls was the best RPG. I mean, I love the game, it just blew my mind that GAMESPOT loved it. "
Why?
thecleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By thecleric
@Artemis_D said:
" @thecleric said:
Why? "
I imagined them to pick Dragon Age like every other site.
BenX02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By BenX02

It makes me sad that L4D2 is getting no recognition in these lists. It is such a good game.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#27  Edited By Yummylee

lol another multi-platform game? Last year i think they awarded GTA4 as the best 360 game.
Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Red

I think more preposterous is that Demon's Souls won their PS3 game of the year? 

How the what the how? 
Also: these lists need more mention of InFamous.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#29  Edited By Hailinel

I'm just happy to see that the awards season has its fair share of surprises this year.  It wouldn't have been nearly as interesting if games like MW2 and Uncharted 2 ran away with every category they were nominated for.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By WinterSnowblind

Demon's Souls was good, but I wouldn't have given it best RPG, let alone best PS3 game.
And the 360 easily had better games too..  Forza, ODST, Ballad of Gay Tony, Lost and Damned..  Even MW2 or Arkham Asylum deserved it more than AC2.

And Chinatown Wars best PSP game..?

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Hailinel
@WinterSnowblind said:
" Demon's Souls was good, but I wouldn't have given it best RPG, let alone best PS3 game. And the 360 easily had better games too..  Forza, ODST, Ballad of Gay Tony, Lost and Damned..  Even MW2 or Arkham Asylum deserved it more than AC2. "
Well, whatever we think about it, Demon's Souls is getting an incredible amount of praise for such a niche game.  It's already won multiple awards from both Game Trailers and Gamespot, and I doubt that this is the end of it.
Daryl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#32  Edited By Daryl

Looks like they didn't bother looking into the handheld side of things and just gave it to GTA (as that's what all the cool kids are playing? Right?)

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By toowalrus

My personal DS game of the year was Mario & Luigi, but then again I haven't played GTA. Hopefully it was awesome.

Avatar image for DELETE_zeushbien
Zeushbien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#34  Edited By Zeushbien

I actually really respect them for their choices, not cause I agree, cause I don't necessarily, but because they aren't the obvious choices. There has been put genuine thought into the picks, and thats something you certaintly can't say about all goty awards.

guiseppe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#35  Edited By guiseppe

Definitely deserved in my opinion.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#36  Edited By iam3green

cool i guess. the good old gamespot, the meanest people that will ban u like that. always giving stupid awards out that shouldn't. last year when they gave best graphics to metal gear solid 4....

Avatar image for griefersstolemykeyboard
griefersstolemykeyboard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Would have given Uncharted 2 the best PS3 game cause Demons souls is not for everyone I think we all can admit that. Xbox360 game I could see why they would choose AC2 not my pick but whatever. PC is a no brainer.
 But ye kudos to Gamespot for trying to be different atleast.

Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Whisperkill
@Abyssfull said:
" lol another multi-platform game? Last year i think they awarded GTA4 as the best 360 game. "
why is that 'lol'...?
Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Jimbo

Nothing especially weird about a multi-plat winning a Best on X award.

I do hate it when they massage the awards though.  If something deserves to win multiple awards then just let it.  If Uncharted 2 wins GOTY then it is by default the Best PS3 Game (for their publication).  Obviously scratch that if Demon's's Souls's wins GOTY (which it won't).

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Willy105
@Azteris said:
" I don't understand how a game can win 'Game of the Year' and not win in it's respective console category. "
Gamespot does it all the time.

@Colin said:
" And holy hell the amount of fanboys in the comments on GS. "

Imagine being there for years and not realizing the rest of the internet was not like that.
DuhQbnSiLo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By DuhQbnSiLo

Well deserved, I would have been pissed if they gave it to that overrated-overhyped-crap FPS that came out..

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Hailinel
@Jimbo said:
" Nothing especially weird about a multi-plat winning a Best on X award. I do hate it when they massage the awards though.  If something deserves to win multiple awards then just let it.  If Uncharted 2 wins GOTY then it is by default the Best PS3 Game (for their publication).  Obviously scratch that if Demon's's Souls's wins GOTY (which it won't). "
True enough.  I recently made my own GOTY blog post, and when it came to the PS3, I awarded Dragon Age as the console's best game because that happened to be the best game I had played on the PS3 all year, in my own personal opinion.
xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By xyzygy
I'm just glad that Demon's Souls got the recognition it deserves, I think it or Borderlands should have been game of the year. They are long lasting games, so much replay value, beautiful graphics, a totally different take on the their respective genres. They weren't scared to tread into new waters, unlike Uncharted 2 which doesn't innovate anything really. (Except graphics, but we're talking Game of the Year, not Cinematic of the Year.)

@Mordukai
said:

" @Subject2Change said:

" holy shit Demon's Souls for PS3? WOW i gotta give GameSpot some credit for balls on that one.  And after finishing Dragon Age today, I was kinda let down at the end. Archdemon fight was kinda not as impressive as I expected. "
THANK YOU! 

now I won't feel like a total shit beg because I too thought the ending and the Arch Demon fight was a total let down.  

"
I totally agree with you guys. Once I got to the part where Mordukai said in the spoiler, it was so linear and expected. Honestly I was expecting something like KOTOR or Mass Effect but it was pretty straightforward and uneventful. And even before the spoiler part, I kinda knew something like that would pop up anyway. 
Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#44  Edited By Yummylee
@Whisperkill said:
" @Abyssfull said:
" lol another multi-platform game? Last year i think they awarded GTA4 as the best 360 game. "
why is that 'lol'...? "

Because I'm a raging fanboy who finds that it funny that for two years in a row they awarded the best 360 game to a multi-platform title over one of the 360's exclusives, in all seriousness though...well just take out the raging fanboy part.
StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

#45  Edited By StarFoxA

I would've gone with either RFG or Borderlands.

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#46  Edited By Afroman269

The 360 exclusives were at their weakest this year while the PS3 ramped up with their own exclusives.

Siris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Siris

Wow, I solidly agree with all their picks, except I never played Dead Space: Extraction.. apparently there are some people at Gamespot who know what's up.

Griddler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 15

#48  Edited By Griddler

I will say the same as I said on the other Gamespot GOTY thread.. Who cares?

carlthenimrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By carlthenimrod

Shadow Complex is my pick for best 360 game. I liked Assassin's Creed 2 and all. But not my pick for GOTY on 360.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Jimbo
@Jimbo said:
" Nothing especially weird about a multi-plat winning a Best on X award. I do hate it when they massage the awards though.  If something deserves to win multiple awards then just let it.  If Uncharted 2 wins GOTY then it is by default the Best PS3 Game (for their publication).  Obviously scratch that if Demon's's Souls's wins GOTY (which it won't). "
Well hush my mouth.

Ballsy to give GOTY to a game you scored lower (9.0) than at least one of the other nominees (UC2 9.5) - credit to them for that.